The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Serene Highness

It also depends on the person's age. You may have a nickname as a little kid but not as you grow older. Also you may have a nickname within your own family but you don't use it outside of it such as the queen's nickname of Lillibet. If Charles wants to call George - Georgie, I don't think W&K will mind especially since Charles is paying the bills :)

Old 08-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
Do we live in the same world?

North, Apple, Duncan Zowie Haywood Jones, Quincy, Blue Ivy, Maxwell, Kal-el, Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence, Pilot Inspektor, Fifi Trixibelle, Kyd, Sage Moonblood, Memphis, Ocean, Rocket, Blue Angel, Audio Science, Moon Unit, Diva Thin Muffi, Moxie Crimefighter, Tu Morrow, Jermajesty, Little Pixie Frou-Frou Geldof, Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily, Diezel Ky, Racer, Yamma, Speck, Pirate, Alabama Gypsy Rose, Petal Blossom Rainbow, Bamboo, Calico, Lyric Angel, Buddy Bear, Poet, Ace Knute, Zuma Nesta Rock, Bogart Che Peyote, Princess Tiaamii, Banjo, Speck Wildhorse, Rebel, Seven, Camera, Mars Merkaba, Free, Bronx Mowgli, Hero...just to name a few.

That's one of the reasons I love Royals!
Another unusual celebrity sounding name to add to your list is "Keelan", which I heard of the other day. I think some parents combine names to create a new name for their child, perhaps Keelan is a combination of Keeley (pronounced "Key-Lee", I think I've spelt the name correctly) and Dylan. However I also think that most of these names are made up.

I haven't heard of some of the names you've listed before, the most unusual name there Jermajetsy. I've heard of Ocean and Camera before; I heard a mother calling for their child in a shop who was called Ocean. Camera I heard in a documentary about tribal families from Africa.

"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Another unusual celebrity sounding name to add to your list is "Keelan", which I heard of the other day. I think some parents combine names to create a new name for their child, perhaps Keelan is a combination of Keeley (pronounced "Key-Lee", I think I've spelt the name correctly) and Dylan. However I also think that most of these names are made up.

I haven't heard of some of the names you've listed before, the most unusual name there Jermajetsy. I've heard of Ocean and Camera before; I heard a mother calling for their child in a shop who was called Ocean. Camera I heard in a documentary about tribal families from Africa.
On a plane towards New Jersey, the lady in front of me in the check-in line called her son Al Capone. I think this one beats all Apples and Oceans.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie View Post
On a plane towards New Jersey, the lady in front of me in the check-in line called her son Al Capone. I think this one beats all Apples and Oceans.
I agree! I often wonder how parents/celebrities come up with these unusual names for their children. Al Capone wouldn't have been the first name I would think of when naming a child.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post

Keelan is actually an anglicized variation of an old Irish name, Caoilfhionn. Another variation is Caelan.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

North, Apple, Duncan Zowie Haywood Jones, Quincy, Blue Ivy, Maxwell, Kal-el, Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence, Pilot Inspektor, Fifi Trixibelle, Kyd, Sage Moonblood, Memphis, Ocean, Rocket, Blue Angel, Audio Science, Moon Unit, Diva Thin Muffi, Moxie Crimefighter, Tu Morrow, Jermajesty, Little Pixie Frou-Frou Geldof, Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily, Diezel Ky, Racer, Yamma, Speck, Pirate, Alabama Gypsy Rose, Petal Blossom Rainbow, Bamboo, Calico, Lyric Angel, Buddy Bear, Poet, Ace Knute, Zuma Nesta Rock, Bogart Che Peyote, Princess Tiaamii, Banjo, Speck Wildhorse, Rebel, Seven, Camera, Mars Merkaba, Free, Bronx Mowgli, Hero...just to name a few.

Firstly, enjoyed that.

I only have an issue and that is with Hero - a woman who died for love.

Hero and Leander is a myth relating the story of Hero, a priestess of Aphrodite and Leander.

Leander fell in love with Hero and would swim every night across the Hellespont to be with her. Hero would light a lamp at the top of her tower to guide his way.

Succumbing to Leander's soft words, and to his argument that Aphrodite, as goddess of love, would scorn the worship of a virgin, Hero allowed him to make love to her. These trysts lasted through the warm summer. But one stormy winter night, the waves tossed Leander in the sea and the breezes blew out Hero's light, and Leander lost his way, and was drowned. When Hero saw his dead body, she threw herself over the edge of the tower to her death to be with him.

as there is nothing else to talk about ............

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie View Post
OH MY GOD

I heard a name that it's not ugly but it's not usual either, I heard a mother calling her son at an hairstylist shop Maximus (or was it Maximilian?) something like that.

Georgie is cute for a baby and child, George is too strong, it fits well for a grown-up man.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Not all of these are "made up" names.

Duncan Zowie Haywood Jones - Duncan is an old Scottish name, Zowie is rare a variation of Zoe, Haywood is a name-turned-surname, Jones is David Bowie's actual surname. The only "made up" aspect of it is the fact that Zowie is a feminine name, and David Bowie's son is a son.

Quincy - A surname turned given name.

Maxwell - Another surname turned given name (although the gender was switched here as well, but that's more common for boy-names-to-girl-names).

Tu Morrow - Tu is a unisex Chinese name.

Ace Knute - Ace is both an English and a Macedonian name, while Knute is a Norwegian one.

Not all unusual names are made up names. Sometimes they're just names you haven't heard before.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I would bet good money that the parents of Tu Morrow were not thinking about a uni sex Chinese name.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I would bet good money that the parents of Tu Morrow were not thinking about a uni sex Chinese name.
Oh, no. Her mother's name is Debbon Ayer, and so Rob Morrow considers bad-pun names to be a family tradition.

The point is, however, as bad of a pub as it is, Tu is an actual name.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Serene Highness

For every oddball "celebrity child name" I can give you 20 "celebrity" names that are ordinary.

Everyone is human.

In the past, royalty was particularly responsible for 1) new names; 2) importing yet unheard of names; 3) inventing names out of local sound sequences that hadn't been used yet.

This is especially true if you look across cultures. Naturally, some Royalty were notably uninventive, but certainly, if you look at - just one example - the early Germanic nobles, they were quite inventive with their naming.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It also depends on the person's age. You may have a nickname as a little kid but not as you grow older. Also you may have a nickname within your own family but you don't use it outside of it such as the queen's nickname of Lillibet. If Charles wants to call George - Georgie, I don't think W&K will mind especially since Charles is paying the bills :)

The trouble is, nicknames have a way of sticking, long after they've outlived their cute factor.

Georgie may seem sweet while the little prince is a baby, but when he's 6'4" and in the military, I'll wager it won't be very appealing.

But by then, many people may find it difficult to change!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Maxwell is the list because it refers a girl not a boy (Jessica Simpson)

Then that needed to be stated as I had never heard of it for a girl and have never heard of Jessica Simpson.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Hands down, these are the two best celebrity baby names in the world

There's also a lot of fairly normal celebrity baby names though. Just some of my own favourites: Alice Zenobia and Penelope Athena (Tina Fey); Dashiell John, Roman Robert and Ignatius Martin (Cate Blanchett); Piper, Oscar and Felix (Gillian Anderson); Archibald William Emerson and Abel James (Will Arnett and Amy Poehler); Matilda Rose (Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams); Pearl, Lucille and Jack (Paul Thomas Anderson and Maya Rudolph); Caspar, Clementine and Cosima (Matthew Vaughn and Claudia Schiffer); Leonardo and Luna (Javier Bardem and Penélope Cruz); Marcel (Guillaume Canet and Marion Cotillard) etc. I would go as far as saying that the majority of celebrities name their children something sane.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
The trouble is, nicknames have a way of sticking, long after they've outlived their cute factor.

Georgie may seem sweet while the little prince is a baby, but when he's 6'4" and in the military, I'll wager it won't be very appealing.

I am a older American woman with the name Georgiann. My nickname to some people is Georgie. I hated it and ask relatives and friends to call me Georgiann. People that don't know my name call be Georgiana. I do like being called the formal name now IF THEY CAN REMEMBER. Too bad I didn't change it sooner.

BTW, What I really hated being called Georgie with that movie called Georgie Girl came out.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Hands down, these are the two best celebrity baby names in the world

There's also a lot of fairly normal celebrity baby names though. Just some of my own favourites: Alice Zenobia and Penelope Athena (Tina Fey); Dashiell John, Roman Robert and Ignatius Martin (Cate Blanchett); Piper, Oscar and Felix (Gillian Anderson); Archibald William Emerson and Abel James (Will Arnett and Amy Poehler); Matilda Rose (Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams); Pearl, Lucille and Jack (Paul Thomas Anderson and Maya Rudolph); Caspar, Clementine and Cosima (Matthew Vaughn and Claudia Schiffer); Leonardo and Luna (Javier Bardem and Penélope Cruz); Marcel (Guillaume Canet and Marion Cotillard) etc. I would go as far as saying that the majority of celebrities name their children something sane.
I love Gillian Anderson's children's names, particularly Piper. Her full name is Piper Maru which is quite pretty.

Some celebrities name their children normal names, which is great but a lot of them have themes. Holly Marie Combs (actress from Pretty Little Liar's and Charmed) children all end in "ey". Finley, Riley and Kelley. I hate themes in names, but they are nice names.

Moxie Crimefighter is just a crime against a name, poor child! The actor Jason Lee from My Name is Earl named his child Pilot Inspektor...

Nicknames are something that just happen and are often rather weird. When I was little my nickname was Mollyball, which is longer than my actual name!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

This just reminds me of an older cousin back in the late 60s, then a tall, strapping Captain in the US Army who stood up during a family dinner in his honor, called for everyone's attention and said (very politely) "I am 35 years old & have served my country through two tours of combat duty in Viet Nam. Please stop calling me 'Tommy'. My name is Tom." Needless to say, he got his way. My family is still infamous for continuing 'y/ie' nicknames. My remaining aunts/uncles, now in their 80-90s, still call one of my cousins 'Stevie'. He's 60.

I'm sure George will put the 'kibosh' on Georgie when he's ready in a similar fashion. Except for Catherine, mothers are allowed to call our children 'baby names' in private until we die.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Serene Highness

I had many Maxwell ancestors, many of them power-mad manipulators who married women for their land, but modern Maxwells have excelled, especially in science. Scotland has produced, along with Israel, a disproportionate number of the world's scientists. Maxwell the surname became Maxwell the first name. The name is supposed to come from 'Maccaeus' Well" but I believe that is a guess. People have guessed about where my family name Pollock came from, but the answer is very simple: they took the name of the area in Scotland which they were granted by Walter Fitzallen, the Gaelic name Pollag, from "little lakes".
Old 08-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Commoner

Hi folks; Im new to this forum, and almost as new to the internet and computer keyboards. So don't expect me to reply to any responses to my posts on the instant. Enuf with the excuses. Down to business.
My notion of a good system William and Kate might employ in choosing godparents goes as follows.
1. one rep from the Windsors, not a sibling, under 50
2. one rep from the Middletons, not a sibling, under 50 --I noted that when Will and Kate
visited Cambridge, Kate ran into an extended family member, a lecturer/tutor/prof at Cambridge, who might make an excellent and objective advisor on matters educational, re George. Just a thought.
3. one rep from the Spencers, under 50. I would suggest Viscount Louis Spencer who will one day inherit the land containing Diana's remains. William might wish to ensure access. 4. one Kate friend, under 50; someone William can tolerate
5. one William friend, under 50; someone Kate can tolerate
6. finally, throw HMTQ a bone; her choice, but under 50
This strikes me as fair, particularly since the names chosen for the royal baby represent both Spencers and Windsors, but not the Middletons. Yet, IMO, given the disparity in their resources and influence, the Middletons have given William and Kate far, far more than their Windsor counterparts; several nice vacations, wedding expenses above and beyond the royal bridal norm-- far more than the Spencers assumed, and lately, a home.
Of course, no one has ever accused the Windsors of possessing a sense of fair play; hence, i assume that Kate and her wishes will be ignored, as per usual, as per Diana, ad infinitum. Same old, same old.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Jo View Post
Hi folks; Im new to this forum, and almost as new to the internet and computer keyboards. So don't expect me to reply to any responses to my posts on the instant. Enuf with the excuses. Down to business.
My notion of a good system William and Kate might employ in choosing godparents goes as follows.
1. one rep from the Windsors, not a sibling, under 50
2. one rep from the Middletons, not a sibling, under 50 --I noted that when Will and Kate
visited Cambridge, Kate ran into an extended family member, a lecturer/tutor/prof at Cambridge, who might make an excellent and objective advisor on matters educational, re George. Just a thought.
3. one rep from the Spencers, under 50. I would suggest Viscount Louis Spencer who will one day inherit the land containing Diana's remains. William might wish to ensure access. 4. one Kate friend, under 50; someone William can tolerate
5. one William friend, under 50; someone Kate can tolerate
6. finally, throw HMTQ a bone; her choice, but under 50
This strikes me as fair, particularly since the names chosen for the royal baby represent both Spencers and Windsors, but not the Middletons. Yet, IMO, given the disparity in their resources and influence, the Middletons have given William and Kate far, far more than their Windsor counterparts; several nice vacations, wedding expenses above and beyond the royal bridal norm-- far more than the Spencers assumed, and lately, a home.
Of course, no one has ever accused the Windsors of possessing a sense of fair play; hence, i assume that Kate and her wishes will be ignored, as per usual, as per Diana, ad infinitum. Same old, same old.
Thanks for this well-thought out post! I do think that some of the Windsors have a sense of fair play - and that tendency has grown since the 90s. Some still show a sense of entitlement as a strong character trait - but all do not.

And given all I have seen of the new Mom and Dad - I have no doubt they have been aware of all the issues that you have raised. This Team Cambridge thinks about all the details and makes their own decisions. They learn from missteps. They seem to have a clear vision of how they want to raise their family and who they want to be/become as they head toward the throne.

Welcome to the forums.

“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Closed Thread