The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Aristocracy

I like the name Estelle and I like the name George. I personally think the parents should pick their kids names and not go by what the forums think they should do. I am iffy on if they should do traditional names. The names people picked for poor Estelle were so old and hadn't been used by the family in centuries in some cases. To me they looked odd and wouldn't seem good in modern times

I saw something earlier about Princess Anne saying something but I couldn't find a original post about it? What did she say that was rude?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelly View Post
I like the name Estelle and I like the name George. I personally think the parents should pick their kids names and not go by what the forums think they should do. I am iffy on if they should do traditional names. The names people picked for poor Estelle were so old and hadn't been used by the family in centuries in some cases. To me they looked odd and wouldn't seem good in modern times

I saw something earlier about Princess Anne saying something but I couldn't find a original post about it? What did she say that was rude?
Well, I doubt any of the royal couples are terribly bothered by what people on the forums think of their name choices for their children. Personally, I definitely think sticking with traditional names is best (mind you, I tend to feel that way whether people are royal or not) - I wouldn't want to see any King Jaydens or something like that.

As for Princess Anne, when someone congratulated her on George's birth, she said something like "it's nothing to do with me, but thank you".

Old 08-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

I used to like Estelle but the more time passes the more I dislike if.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I used to like Estelle but the more time passes the more I dislike if.
I have never cared for it; too many echoes of Great Expectations and Estella Havisham.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristine View Post
When Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel have choosen the name Estelle for their daughter, a lot of people complain that the name was not regal, it wasn't Swedish enough, that it was tacky and so on.
Now William and Catherine choose a traditional name, used by kings in the past, that has a lot of tradition regarding UK, people still complain
Probably not the same people complaining though.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

I have never cared for it; too many echoes of Great Expectations and Estella Havisham.
I actually think Estella or Stella is a better name than Estelle. Victoria's parents picked suck great names and Victoria choosing something like Estelle. The more I say it the less I like it.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

I know; Queen Estelle just sounds awful.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I know; Queen Estelle just sounds awful.
She could also rule under Silvia, Ewa or Mary.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post

Probably not the same people complaining though.
For sure not the same people!

The Swedes were not too fond of Estelle, and I am sure that adorable little thing is slowly changing that... And, of course the Brits and the rest of the world, seem to be against George!

I only say that because, there is SO much craze over Catherine and her child and when adorable Estelle arrived, it wasn't the same in the US! I kept upon it though
Old 08-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post

She could also rule under Silvia, Ewa or Mary.
Ewa... It just doesn't work either!

Silvia and Mary are fine.

I have a feeling though, as she gets older, that she will learn to love her name as I'm sure her parents will teach her all about those she was named after (obviously she already knows her grandmothers), but, she will come to know the Estelle for whom she is named from her parents and other members of the family.

As for George, I'm sure the same can be said for him. Then again, his name is far more common, obviously, so it shouldn't be hard for him to get used to it.

There just are not many little girls out there waiting to be Queen, named Estelle. Definitely an acquired taste she will have to get used to because it is so different.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Nobility

Maybe it is because Estelle and George are not child names but more suited to adults in which case both will grow into their names.

After all we spend far longer as adults than as children so I prefer when people choose a name more suited to an adult. I would have hated to be given a name that made everyone think of an eight year old when I was actually twenty five.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathl29 View Post
Maybe it is because Estelle and George are not child names but more suited to adults in which case both will grow into their names.

After all we spend far longer as adults than as children so I prefer when people choose a name more suited to an adult. I would have hated to be given a name that made everyone think of an eight year old when I was actually twenty five.
I agree with you, althought I don't think George is that suitable for a baby or child, as it's too strong, but he will spend most of his life as adult, so it makes sense in a way.

Unlike George, Estelle is far more uncommon and even though I've grown to like a bit the name (because of the precious little princess), I will never get used to the future Queen Estelle, I will always think that Estelle could've been their second child, not their first, because I expected a more regal name for the heir.

Except Estelle, most heirs got regal names, Elisabeth, Ingrid, Leonor and Christian, and George joins the club as well, even though I seriously dislike the name, I must admit it has history and it sounds regal.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

For me I'm not even thinking of Queen Estelle, it's the name itself that I dislike even if she wasn't going to be queen.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCtrojan View Post
And, of course the Brits and the rest of the world, seem to be against George!
Actually I think it is the Americans who seem to be having a more difficult time with the name George, even going so far as to question its pronunciation on this forum. Since George is a pretty popular boys name in the UK (#12) it does not seem unusual at all. Most of us probably are related to someone named George or at least know a few people named George. People who question a names suitability for a young baby seem to forget that babies grow up pretty quickly and that we spend the vast majority of our lives as adults.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Serene Highness

The story of Estella Havisham is laid in a tiny town near Rochester. My grandfather was born there and came to the US as a baby, directly to the English colony of Sutherlin Oregon. The first chapter of Great Expectations is laid in the graveyard of the church there, where many gravestones are of my ancestors, including those which inspired the mention of babies' graves by Dickens. Many people died prematurely there in Cooling because it is near a marsh, which bred insects. Palm trees grow there because of the warmer moist climate. I know it's true because I was there as a tourist with my husband and son.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Courtier

I am completely baffled by the dislike for the name Estelle. I have known 5 people with that name and they were all great people.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
I am completely baffled by the dislike for the name Estelle. I have known 5 people with that name and they were all great people.
So do I. It's a nice French name, but it's probably unusual for a future monarch.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
So do I. It's a nice French name, but it's probably unusual for a future monarch.
But it's sooooo 1900!
Old 08-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Courtier

Maybe that isn't so bad. Better than Apple, North or some of the other non names in modern use.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
Maybe that isn't so bad. Better than Apple, North or some of the other non names in modern use.
Good gawd! I thought that Gwyneth was crazy when she named her daughter Apple, Phenias, then came Blue Ivy, now North West and many others. Maxwell Drew for a girl... i could go on forever! Celebrities are just too much when it comes to naming their kids.

It makes me so happy that royals are not out for game and attention when it comes to their children like celebs, yet Americans treat Hollywood like royalty!

Thank you Catherine and William for George and Victoria and Daniel for Estelle and others who stick to normal and near normal names, even when they are in the spotlight.