The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
He was on a plane headed to Iceland. Not to diminish his death, but he was not killed going to fight anything. He had his problems, but I think he was a good man, and how the family perceived this, I do not know. My husband's first name is George, never called that and he hates it, but a family name just the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
He was in the military, in a war, flying an airforce plane, on a military mission - that is KIA - as he was undertaking a military mission during a war.
Iluvbertie is correct. There need be no argument about this. The Duke of Kent died while on military service and is therefore commemorated by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Quote:
WINDSOR, GEORGE EDWARD ALEXANDER EDMUND

Date of Death: 25/08/1942

Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force (Auxiliary Air Force)

Awards: K G, K T, G C M G, G C V O

Cemetery: FROGMORE ROYAL BURIAL GROUND

Additional Information:
Duke of Kent. Fourth son of His Majesty King George V and Her Majesty Queen Mary; husband of H.R.H. The Duchess of Kent.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Aristocracy

I am disappointed that they have gone for the obvious in George. Dull. If it had to be the name of a previous monarch, I would have preferred something from further back like Richard or John: a name that hasn't been recycled so often would have been fresher. I don't see any reason why they can't use a non-regnal name anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On the subject of cousin terminology, it may sound complicated but it is simple once you have grasped it.

First cousins, second, third cousins etc are people from the same generation who trace back to a common ancestor. Thus first cousins have grandparents as their first common ancestors. Second cousins have great-grandparents as their first common ancestors. Third cousins have great-great-grandparents as their first common ancestor. And so on. You count the number of generations in between you/your cousins and the common ancestor.

The "removed" describes cousins who are not of the same generation. So the children of my first cousin are my first cousins once removed. Their children are my first cousins twice removed. In the same way my father's first cousin is my first cousin once removed; my grandfather's first cousin is my first cousin twice removed. And so on. The number of generations apart = the number of times removed.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
I am disappointed that they have gone for the obvious in George. Dull. If it had to be the name of a previous monarch, I would have preferred something from further back like Richard or John: a name that hasn't been recycled so often would have been fresher. I don't see any reason why they can't use a non-regnal name anyway.

-
Do you think there might be a possibility that William and Catherine might actually like the name George?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:35 AM
Aristocracy

Of course. I've only given my own opinion. No reason at all why they should share it.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

It is sad that they have to keep using the same names over and over again and not bring in less used royal names. I believe I heard that there is a taboo in using the name John in the BRF, and be wise of Richard III I'm not sure if that name would go over well either.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Courtier

It's not sad at all. I am happy that they are using a name with history and weight to it rather than some made up modern name.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

I cannot see James Middleton of "naked internet photos he put up himself" as being a godfather to Baby George. If he is chosen, I'll forever lose interest in the "modern" BRF.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I cannot see James Middleton of "naked internet photos he put up himself" as being a godfather to Baby George. If he is chosen, I'll forever lose interest in the "modern" BRF.
That surely is a threat they will betaking very seriously at BP / KP!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM
Courtier

You mean you haven't lost interest already?
Old 07-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
It's not sad at all. I am happy that they are using a name with history and weight to it rather than some made up modern name.
Oh good gracious no one is saying name the kid apple, there are other traditional English names that need to make a comeback. But I knew the name they chose would be boring and I am still glad it is George rather than Charles or Edward.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-31-2013, 05:20 PM
Courtier

The name George denotes regal, dependable, hard working to me.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
It is sad that they have to keep using the same names over and over again and not bring in less used royal names. I believe I heard that there is a taboo in using the name John in the BRF, and be wise of Richard III I'm not sure if that name would go over well either.
I've said this before, but I don't believe there are any such taboos. Not when the Queen named her heir Charles.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:18 PM
Serene Highness

"George" is rather hard to pronounce. That's my beef with it. But if pronounced with a British accent, I presume the "rrr" (grrr) sound would be mitigated, and even come close to disappearing. Grandma, it does sound "regal, dependable, hard working".
Old 07-31-2013, 06:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
"George" is rather hard to pronounce. That's my beef with it. But if pronounced with a British accent, I presume the "rrr" (grrr) sound would be mitigated, and even come close to disappearing. Grandma, it does sound "regal, dependable, hard working".
Really? I don't perceive it as hard to pronounce at all - perhaps because I'm just so used to hearing/saying it. It's definitely think it's a good, strong, name though, even if it's not a favorite of mine.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^^
How can George ever be pronounced as anything other than what it is asks the guy with the English accent?
Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
^^^^^
How can George ever be pronounced as anything other than what it is asks the guy with the English accent?
Haha. I will say I used to get very confused as a child when watching The Sound of Music because I didn't understand what the Captain's name was supposed to be - took me ages to figure out that it was actually 'Georg', but just pronounced so completely differently from 'George' in English that I never would've even thought they were spelled (almost) the same.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

How do people in the US pronounce George Washington, George Bush or George Clooney? It is a standard english pronounciation

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-31-2013, 08:18 PM
Serene Highness

Well, in the US, "George" is pronounced with a hard R. I believe that some British accents I've heard, especially the Oxford type which the royals speak, soften the R.
You "hear" the R but it is less pronounced and softer. Sort of Jawj. Cepe, in America we pronounce the Georges Clooney, Bush, and Washington with that hard R. We do have some regional accents remaining in America, even though most people now speak Standard English. For instance, in Giraffe's neck of the woods, the Southeast, the R would be softened, I believe. I think some Noreastern folks still soften such an R, as President Kennedy would have, but the Noreasters ADD final R's where they don't exist in the spelling, which is to my ears a very strange thing.

Kennedy would drop the final R in "mother".

Some of us in the western US speak without a discernable (by audiologists} accent. We of course have an accent which Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady would have discerned, but much less so.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^

I am sorry but this reminds me of an awful video on Youtube of an American woman attempting to teach Americans how to speak with an English accent. It was hilarious because no English person would recognize her pronunciations as being English.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
How do people in the US pronounce George Washington, George Bush or George Clooney? It is a standard english pronounciation
Sadly, Cepe, we here in the midwest (my part) pronounce it with vowels that most people don't make unless they pinch their nose.
Gee-ow-jh

“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Closed Thread