The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Serene Highness

I'd be surprised if Zara wasn't chosen given her relationship with William/Kate. I also expect Harry and Pippa to be on the list as well.

LaRae

Old 07-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Nobility

I would love to see Pippa as Godmother
Oh well Im seeing situations different
Since HM likes Kate's family,ESP her parents,It would be a nice tribute to include a GM or a name from the Middletons, and......this was probably discussed with her side and it was agreed upon!

Old 07-27-2013, 08:29 AM
Aristocracy

My guess is that they will go with 6 godparents.

Prince Harry
James Ogilvy - son of Princess Alexandra
A friend - either the van Straubenzees or van Cutsem
James Middleton

Pippa Middleton
The Countess of Wessex
Tiggy Legge Bourke
Lady Jane Fellowes

Other possibilities could be

Viscount Linley/Earl of Ulster/Earl of St. Andrews/lady Sarah Chatto/ one of the McCorquodale cousins/Peter or Zara Philips/Earl of Wessex
Old 07-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I'm a bit late as I haven't been online for a few days, but here's what I think about Prince George's names:

I don't mind the name George and I'm quite pleased that William and Catherine chose it as that's what I was hoping they'd call him. One of my ancestors was called George so that's another reason why I'm happy with it. Alexander sounds cute and I was hoping that Louis would feature. Perhaps the Prince of Wales had a say in the names- Louis could be after Louis Mountbatten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincePatrick View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but did anyone guess George Alexander Louis (even if a fourth name was included, since we all assumed there would be four names...)???
George and Louis featured in my name combination guesses, so I guessed two of his names correctly.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Majesty

I don't know where you got the 18 from - my elder neice had a godfather who was 7 when she was baptised and he then turned up as godfather to her younger sister 2 years later. Yes there were other older godparents but he was definitely one of them. They were also both godparents to their younger cousins while still under 12. They were all RC baptisms.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

I hope they choose James if Kate does choose one of her siblings, James has always impressed me much more than Pippa
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Courtier

I am Jewish, and I am not very familiar with all Christian customs. What is the difference between christening and baptism? Thanks.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I am Jewish, and I am not very familiar with all Christian customs. What is the difference between christening and baptism? Thanks.
No difference at all: "christening" is perhaps a colloquial English term meaning "made a Christian" by baptism.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
The christening is the naming ceremony. If a child is christened, s/he is formally named. It is also possible to christen things, like ships. It doesn't have to be a religious ceremony

A baptism is a ceremony to bring a person into a Christian church. Most Christian religions use water to symbolize the washing away of sin. An adult can be baptized but not christened (unless s/he changes his or her name).
Old 07-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Courtier

Thanks for the information.

Meg
Old 07-27-2013, 01:34 PM

Thanks for starting that topic.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Serene Highness

I expect there are no strict rules on age in the Church of England because that church varies from parish to parish in what is preached and what is done. I do know that in England the C of E rule on no marriages between cousins closer than the "fourth degree" was routinely flaunted. We are all well aware of that. The church rules may have been there but they were not followed if a clergyman was willing to ignore them. That would include a clergyman like the Archbishop of Canterbury.
I think Louise would be a good godmother because her parents are good parents and would actually teach her to take seriously her relationship as godmother. She would be like a big sister, as Skippy said, and bring neat well thought out presents as George grew. But probably an idle thought on my part.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Courtier

I love the name they chose for him. It's so elegant.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Serene Highness

A christening is a baptism with a naming.

A baptism doesn't have to involve naming.

--------

On a different topic. Why do people go so far out of their way to criticize Kate? The two of them chose a name for their baby, who is also the future King of England, god willing, and it was a major public act for them.

They did well. George is the 12th most popular name in England. It surprises me, of course, that some are claiming there's not a single Middleton family member who has ever been named George (how would anyone know this?), but has anyone actually got information about which names the Middleton family likes? Perhaps grandmother and grandfather Middleton really like the name George.

How does anyone know and why be so scalding in comments about Kate's choices?
Old 07-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
You have to be at least 18 to be a Godparent I don't know any churches where that is different. They prefer you to be in the same religion but it isn't always essential. I don't think Princess Anne would get chosen she has her own grandchildren and more on the way. I think Harry for sure and one of the Middleton siblings the others it depends he is a future King so they could choose people we have never heard off. But I think William and Kate will choose close friends, people who they can trust. I could see Peter or Zara both boys are close to them and they got so close when their mother passed away.
You don't have to be 18 in all churches to be a godparent. When one of my brothers was baptized in a catholic church there was another family whose baby had two children(very young teens).

Joachim of Belgium and Austria-Este was godfather to his sister Laetitia Maria when he was 12.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post

How does anyone know and why be so scalding in comments about Kate's choices?
I must be close to being the Duchess' biggest fan (as her father-in-law said when his son married, ''We're lucky to have her" - which they are).

However, I do not believe that George was the parents' choice. Personally, I dislike George for the little prince because of the historical negative royal baggage attached to the name.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Majesty

I love George for him as the Kings George I think of most have been George V and VI - the two kings in the 20th Century who lead and inspired their nation during times of war, depression and even the General Strike.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I must be close to being the Duchess' biggest fan (as her father-in-law said when his son married, ''We're lucky to have her" - which they are).

However, I do not believe that George was the parents' choice. Personally, I dislike George for the little prince because of the historical negative royal baggage attached to the name.
So your close to being her greatest fan but you don't believe her? Makes no sense to me at all.

Their aides have said they chose the names because they liked them - I believe that.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Music Room is where William and Charles were baptised.

It is lesser royals who are christened in St George's such as Harry.
I can't agree with you this time. Do you think that at the time of his Christening Harry was a 'lesser royal'? I would suggest that, until William fathered a child, Harry was indeed a ''major royal'. Actually, I think that Peter Phillips' christening was in the Music Room as was his mother's.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Majesty

I didn't see Harry as a major royal at any time - he was the spare and thus expendable and even more so now. He was the extra - not needed for the line to continue and even less needed now.

Had he been the heir to the heir he would have had the full Music Room treatment - without any question but he didn't because he was the extra one and by the time of his birth his parents' marriage had clearly ended.

The Music Room isn't exclusively used by the heirs but the heirs, since WWII have all been done there while lesser royals have been done anywhere that is convenient at the time.