The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post

I think it would be hilarious if Princess Anne were chosen after her comments to the media.
They can say "it's so Princess Anne like" but I consider her comment rude and careless.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkittybaby View Post
They can say "it's so Princess Anne like" but I consider her comment rude and careless.
I don't think she's on the short list but they could surprise us--and her.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why does he only have three names?
Old 07-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
William and Catherine have only said publicly that they like the names.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Good question.
Will they surprise us at the baptism with a fourth name?
Old 07-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Because they only wanted to give him 3 names?

There was some speculation pre-birth that he might only have 3 names as a compromise between the two parents - William has 4, Catherine has 2, 3's in the middle.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
Thanks US Royal Watcher!

I guess it's just the press coverage that annoys me. Why the focus on only the royals? It just seems so medieval.
Welcome to the forum, Wilbur (very traditional name).
It's better to have a lot of coverage on the royal baby than on the Khardashians' little life dramas. Quite refreshing, actually.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Anne should be chosen, partly because she was not William's godmother. Only thing against Anne is her age, as a godparent should be young enough (50's or younger) to be around when the child is, say, in his twenties. But Anne is tough and she will be around as long as the Queen, so why not!
I would definitely include the Wessexes, one or both, because of their steadfastness in serving the RF without making tidal waves (just nice wee waves like Louise and James, both born with difficulty and success!) They are the right age, the right temperament, and they are said (I read) to get on well with the Catherine and William.
Some other blogs have suggested Alexander, Earl of Ulster. I think the Gloucesters should be chosen, also because of long steady service. If the camera shy Earl does not want the job, maybe Rose Gilman or Davina Lewis.

Other than that...people I don't know about, of course.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie View Post

Welcome to the forum, Wilbur (very traditional name).
It's better to have a lot of coverage on the royal baby than on the Khardashians' little life dramas. Quite refreshing, actually.
I would much rather hear about and see coverage on the Royal baby and the Royal Family then in Katdashiams, Snooki and most women's in Hollywood!

It always bothers me when they compare Catherine and Kim. There no comparison, Catherine has a lot more class then all the Kardashians combined.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Nobility

I am pretty sure that Prince Harry will be one of the godparents. In an interview the other day he stated that he will watch that "no harm ever touches" baby George. In addition, it seems a very natural and appropriate choice.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Princess Anne should be chosen, partly because she was not William's godmother. Only thing against Anne is her age, as a godparent should be young enough (50's or younger) to be around when the child is, say, in his twenties. But Anne is tough and she will be around as long as the Queen, so why not!

I am not sure how accurate this is, but I have heard that Diana refused to have Anne as godmother for either of her sons, because the two women did not get along.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Actually there is nothing against Princess Anne at all. But I think its close friends and familt, just like the rest of us

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I am not sure how accurate this is, but I have heard that Diana refused to have Anne as godmother for either of her sons, because the two women did not get along.
I think Diana denied/dismissed that rumor at some point.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Serene Highness

I have a doubt... I don't know where to post this because there isn't a post about christening yet... If the Queen is staying in Balmoral until October, where is the chistening likely to take place?
Old 07-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I have a doubt... I don't know where to post this because there isn't a post about christening yet... If the Queen is staying in Balmoral until October, where is the chistening likely to take place?
The christening will likely take place somewhere in London after the Queen gets back from Balmoral.

There isn't usually a rush to christen royal babies, so waiting a couple months won't be seen as a problem.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I agree completely! (And did the same thing you did, with my own children).

I never understood using nicknames (unless the given name is something completely horrible, which has been known to happen).

But why give a child a name and then call him something else? Just name him what you intend to call him!
'Harry' has been an acknowledged 'nickname' for 'Henry' for many centuries. It dates back to the time when the British aristocracy spoke French and is a derivative of the awkward pronunciation for non-French speakers. Linguistically, the French 'Henry' quickly transposes itself to the English 'Harry'. Note - Shakespeare uses the names 'Harry' and 'Hal' in his play King Henry V.

There is nothing new in calling today's Prince Henry, 'Harry'.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Majesty

The tradition for royal babies in Britain in direct line to the throne is a baptism in BP by the Archbishop of Canterbury. Two months or so isn't that long after birth for a baptism and The Queen will be back in London in about 2 months.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Serene Highness

I would think anytime from oct to early December for the christening. There isn't a set time. Think about finding a free afternoon for the Cambridges, Queen & Philip, Charles, Camilla, Harry, Yorks, Wessexes, Anne and the Archbishop of Canterbury. Hopefully the palace has some sort of diary software where they look at everyone's schedule at the same time.

The music room in BP is probably the choice since BP won't be open to the public like Windsor castle is but it seems Prince George should be christening in St George's Chapel.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Serene Highness

I think royal babies are traditionally and exclusively christened in the Music Room at BP.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Majesty

The Music Room is where William and Charles were baptised.

It is lesser royals who are christened in St George's such as Harry.