Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, obviously Diana's brother had every right to include her name among her new-born daughter's; to suggest otherwise is just preposterous. As far as I remember, there was very little fuss indeed. Similarly, I have little doubt that should William and Kate have a daughter, Diana will be one of the middle names.

I did think giving Kate Diana's ring was somewhat unfortunate though. I understand the sentiments behind the move but if I were Kate, I'd prefer a ring that were uniquely mine and not laden with a very sad history of a failed marriage and tragedy.

OTOH, his parents' marriage is the reason William is here today, so from his point of view it likely wasn't a complete muck up! :)

Charles Spencer's choice of name for his fifth daughter is understandable and logical. It's a tribute to himself and to his sister. And it is an attractive combination. (I think that his new daughter looks a little like William and Diana.)

It matters not what Charles Spencer named his daughter.
If William and Catherine were to also have a daughter it would not be difficult nor confusing for the two baby girls to share exactly the same names - given that the surnames are different!
For Lady Charlotte Diana Spencer to have the same sweet name as her cousin Queen Charlotte Diana would be an honour, surely, for both.

That said, I guessed back about page 13 and I included Frances in one name suggestion but not Diana ...
Girl:
Georgiana Charlotte Elizabeth
Harriet Frances Alexandra
Charlotte Mary Philippa

I now also like the recent suggestion, by Archduchess Zelia, of Matilda.
Matilda Charlotte Elizabeth sounds pretty.

I am in a quandary as to whether the child will be given three names or four.

I like Matilda too, isn't that referring to the heir of William the Conqueror who was upset by another heir, Stephen? My Scots ancestor of that period, Fulbert the Saxon, fought for Matilda and had to leave England and take up residence in Scotland because of this.

That is the Matilda, daughter and the only surviving legitimate child of King Henry I. His will stated that she would be his heir, but at his death in Normandy she was in Anjou and too far away from Britain. Her cousin, Stephen of Blois (another grandchild of William the Conqueror, but from a maternal line, theoretically speaking making Matilda his senior in the line of succesion) was in Boulogne and quickly rushed to England where he was elected monarch. That lead to The Anarchy where Stephen and Matilda fought for years for their individual rights to the throne.

Cynderella, if William likes the name Alice, then that shoots right up to a top position. It is a traditional royal name which hasn't seen recent use. It would honor the late Princess Alice, whom most of us admire so much. I love Princess Alice's middle name Cristabel, but the baby won't be born at Christmas, as Alice was, so that's probably not in consideration. In fact, an ideal (not likely but ideal) name for a baby Princess would be Alice Cristabel Caroline (for Kate's mother) Frances (for William's mother).
That's my nomination.
I'm not saying it won't be a boy. I don't have a clue there.
I love the name Alice, so I would be delighted with a Princess Alice of Cambridge. It would honor William's great-grandmother (Philip's mother), Princess Alice of Battenberg. She was named after her own grandmother, Queen Victoria's daughter Alice.

I would also love to see Charlotte. It hasn't been used in a while, and would honor Prince Charles. As others have mentioned, Britain almost had a Queen Charlotte instead of Queen Victoria.

I love the name Alice, so I would be delighted with a Princess Alice of Cambridge. It would honor William's great-grandmother (Philip's mother), Princess Alice of Battenberg. She was named after her own grandmother, Queen Victoria's daughter Alice.

I would also love to see Charlotte. It hasn't been used in a while, and would honor Prince Charles. As others have mentioned, Britain almost had a Queen Charlotte instead of Queen Victoria.

'Charlotte' is also the DoCa's sister's middle name. Pippa's given name is Philippa Charlotte Middleton.

Alice is a real possibility, IMO. It honors Phillip's line and Will and Kate appear to be simple people who like simple traditional things. Alice is a very simple, lovely and traditional British name.

For a boy, I would love to see "David." As I said before, I'd like to see a traditional name for the future monarch which has never been used as a first name. It's also a wonderful salute to Wales, where Will and Kate spent their first years.

I know about Edward VIII being called "David" within the family and all of the connotations with it. But something tells me Will does not give a darn about all that - too far removed from it all. It's a question of whether the Queen would balk at it. David is also one of Henry's names.

As I think they will ultimately have a boy and a girl, in some order, David and Alice are lovely, simple names for a brother and sister.

Doubt she'd balk at it considering it's her nephew's name.

Wasn't HM very fond of the Duke of Windsor (or "Uncle David" :p) when she was younger?

Last edited:
The more I think on it, the more and more I'm starting to favor Alice as the first name for a girl. As Gracie says, its simple and has meaning in the royal family and well.. it just suits the people Will and Kate are. :D

Even though Edward VIII was called David by the family and it does whisper the ghosts of the abdication, we have to remember too that David was very much loved by his family. I think it would be a very fitting name for a future monarch of the UK. David Henry perhaps as we see how close Wills is to his brother.

Personally, the more I muse on the wee one, the more I'm inclined to believe that it will be a boy. Genetics on Wills' Windsor side of the family point to being predominately male. The Spencer line seems to favor girls though so its a toss up. Its fun to muse on though.

Of course, only the father's genetics determine the gender of the baby. You have 2 boys in this generation, 3 boys and one girl in Charles' generation....But I believe the Phillip had quite a few sisters and no brothers.

I think Alice Carolina Elizabeth Frances has a nice ring to it

Of course, only the father's genetics determine the gender of the baby. You have 2 boys in this generation, 3 boys and one girl in Charles' generation....But I believe the Phillip had quite a few sisters and no brothers.

Looking on the Spencer side, Johnny had 3 girls and 1 boy and his son Charles has 5 girls and 2 boys. So the Spencer side is predominately female. William does look more like the Spencer side somewhat so perhaps he's got the Spencer genes too?

As we all know the DoE can be somewhat stubborn. Perhaps after growing up with all women around him, he TOLD his little swimmers he wanted mostly males. :lol:

HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, had four sisters. All four were born HRH Princess of Greece and Denmark. His eldest sister was Margarita - 18 April 1905-24 April 1981 - Princess of Hohenlohe-Langenburg; Theodora- 13 May 1906-16 October1969 - Margravine of Baden; Cecilie 'Cecile' - 22 June 1911-16 November 1937, Hereditary Grand Duchess of Hesse and Rhine; and Sophie - 26 June 1914-3 November 2001, Princess Christoph of Hesse / Princess George of Hanover.

Looking on the Spencer side, Johnny had 3 girls and 1 boy and his son Charles has 5 girls and 2 boys. So the Spencer side is predominately female. William does look more like the Spencer side somewhat so perhaps he's got the Spencer genes too?

As we all know the DoE can be somewhat stubborn. Perhaps after growing up with all women around him, he TOLD his little swimmers he wanted mostly males. :lol:

Why am I starting to picture all these little x's with tiaras and all these little y's in morning suits???? :eek:

Why am I starting to picture all these little x's with tiaras and all these little y's in morning suits???? :eek:

tsk tsk tsk... its a fragment of your illumination. We all know tiaras do not go with genes. Its gauche. :D

I am as certain that Diana and Elizabeth will appear in a daughter's name as I am certain the sun will rise in the morning. It's just a question of the order. Elizabeth is also a nod to Kate, whose middle name is Elizabeth.

I am also virtually certain Carole/Caroline/Charlotte would appear - but far more likely Caroline - this covers both Kate's mother and Charles.

"First Name Elizabeth Diana Caroline" Perhaps even Phillipa as a fifth name to cover Prince Phillip as this all important first born will inherit the throne.
"First Name Phillip Charles Michael"

I personally think that this child should have its own first name rather than named after someone close. As I said before, he or she has enough shoes to fill without being saddled with the first name of some larger than life figure in the family tree. That said, Will and Kate are a very conservative couple and the child's first name will be a very conservative, safe choice. No Xan, no alternate spelling such as Elysabeth, etc.

the names that u wrote are the best ones....trust me 98% that u are right

the names that u wrote are the best ones....trust me 98% that u are right

'Philippa' would cover both Prince Philip as well as HRH the DssOC's sister, Philippa aka 'Pippa.'

I have a feeling that Kate was around 7-8 weeks pregnant at the beginning of November (they just said she hadn't reached the 12 week stage yet). I think its a very good possibility that the Cambridge's first child could be born on Great Grandpa Philip's birthday. I think that would be so wonderful. To top it off, if a girl, it would be so fitting to name the princess Alice. What a wonderful salute to a very extraordinary man! :D

I'm sorry, but "Queen Alice I" certainly leaves a lot to be desired. It's not a very majestic name at all, and while I do agree that the sentiment to Prince Philip's mother is sweet, I'd sooner go with "Queen Phillipa I." That is, if we're to be honoring Prince Philip. I'm sure Alice is as good a guess as any, but really... It feels like such a deflated name for such an important person (no offense to the Alices on the Forum.)

I'm sorry, but "Queen Alice I" certainly leaves a lot to be desired. It's not a very majestic name at all, and while I do agree that the sentiment to Prince Philip's mother is sweet, I'd sooner go with "Queen Phillipa I." That is, if we're to be honoring Prince Philip. I'm sure Alice is as good a guess as any, but really... It feels like such a deflated name for such an important person (no offense to the Alices on the Forum.)

In 1819, Victoria was a continental, bourgeois name with connotations towards the French revolution, and as such, completely unsuitable for a British monarch when you think about it. Now we can't imagine a more regal or suitable name for a British monarch.

My point is that while Queen Alice doesn't sound right to our ears, if she is a beloved monarch, 150 years from now the British will have the same feelings towards it as Victoria.

:previous:
Indeed. When you think about it, none of the regnal names started as ones; initially, they were just ordinary names royal parents liked and chose for their children.

Alice is a nice, traditional name and not some horrible monstrosity (I still shudder at the thought of all the bullying Pilot Inspector must be receiving), so I don't see why it can't be the name of a future Queen. This said, I am almost certain that should William and Kate's eldest child be a girl, she'll be named after one of the previous undisputed Queens Regnant in England or Scotland - Margaret, Mary, Elizabeth, Anne or Victoria. Jane and Matilda are possible too but not very probable.

As a fan of the late Scottish author Dorothy (Lady) Dunnett, I would love to see a girl named Philippa. And a boy Francis, of course!

King Arthur or Queen Charlotte for me. :)

Elizabeth Victoria Diana Catherine or Alexander Philip Edward Charles:)

I must be the only person that really, really, really does not want the names Elizabeth, Victoria, Diana, Spencer, Franc(i)(e)s, or Phillippa anywhere near this baby. It's time to bring a new name into the BRF. I fully realize there aren't going to be any Jennifers or Tiffanys or Blue Ivy Harper Seven Apple Seraphinas, but if they're going to modernize the succession laws put a possible Queen on the throne, why not a more modern name?

I must be the only person that really, really, really does not want the names Elizabeth, Victoria, Diana, Spencer, Franc(i)(e)s, or Phillippa anywhere near this baby. It's time to bring a new name into the BRF. I fully realize there aren't going to be any Jennifers or Tiffanys or Blue Ivy Harper Seven Apple Seraphinas, but if they're going to modernize the succession laws put a possible Queen on the throne, why not a more modern name?

Well Spencer isn't going to be anywhere near it. I agree that Diana should be kept away, but Elizabeth, Victoria or Frances seem like suitable middle names should it be a girl.

A more modern name doesn't mean a more modern monarchy, and the name has to be suitable.

Sophia is a modern but traditional name IMO.

:previous:
I like Sophia too; besides, it's the name of the Electress of Hanover who missed out on becoming a Queen Regnant of Britain by mere days.

I would love Victoria as her first name. Then Elizabeth. Tradition is huge in the BRF, so think to be named after the two queens who reigned for more than 60 years would be so fitting.
Same as in Denmark, certain children have to have certain names. Christian vs Frederik. And that is lovely.....

COESpiral, I agree that the Cambridges should choose a name which has not been used a lot. There are many sources of traditional British names in both Bible and in the Church of England calendar. Old Testament names, such as Ruth, Hannah, Anna, and others which have extremely positive connotations in the Bible. The C of E calendar, which I have, has "saint's" names traditional for various dates, and some of these are more modern saints, as well as old Anglo-Saxon or "Roman" names. There are lots of possibilities! All traditional but not "over-used" or recently used.
My stepdaughter just became a grandmother, and her son and his wife chose Delfina for their girl. I love that. Not for a royal baby, but what I'm saying is that it's different but not so different that it sound eccentric, it has a nice ring to it.
The Names Committee in Britain is already at work on this, I presume, and they will figure it out and it will be fine.

I'm all for tradition, but I'm also of the belief that some names should be given a rest for a few generations before bringing them back. Thus, no Elizabeth. I don't think (or I certainly hope) the Queen wouldn't feel insulted if her name wasn't in the current mix. And if William and Kate did feel like it needed to be there, make it the third or fourth name and have the first two names be ones not heard in a long while. Like Charlotte or Alexandra or Sophia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom