The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Well, here's another article for you, also dated two days after Harry's birth.

St. Joseph News-Press/gazette - Google News Archive Search

Personally, I think the fact that in all the articles announcing Harry's name that I can find - from September 17 - he's referred to as Harry kind of implies that the Palace announced he was to be called Harry. This is despite the fact that I can't find an official announcement (or direct quote) from the palace online dating almost 30 years ago. But that's just me.

Here's a link to an Associated Press article form Sept 17, 1984 that mentions "a Buckingham Palace announcement that he will be called Harry". I saw a picture of yesterday's official print-out announcing Prince George's name - I assume something similar was handed out back in '84, but it probably isn't available digitally.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
Does anyone remember why they said he would be called Harry instead of Henry? I always felt, my opinion, that if you were going to use a nickname, why not just name the child that name. Now I am not talking about Sweetcakes, Bubba, or Skip, but when you name your child Kristen, but then tell everyone you are going to call her Kristi, why not just name her Kristi? I never understood it, nor did I like it. When I chose my son's name, one of the criteria was there wasn't an established nickname so he would be called what I named him.

I agree completely! (And did the same thing you did, with my own children).

I never understood using nicknames (unless the given name is something completely horrible, which has been known to happen).

But why give a child a name and then call him something else? Just name him what you intend to call him!

Old 07-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post

Here's a link to an Associated Press article form Sept 17, 1984 that mentions "a Buckingham Palace announcement that he will be called Harry". I saw a picture of yesterday's official print-out announcing Prince George's name - I assume something similar was handed out back in '84, but it probably isn't available digitally.
So glad you found it. I definitely remember the announcement but couldn't find proof. Ish was correct. Whether anybody wanted to believe it or not is another matter.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post

Thank you!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Serene Highness

But, if Harry becomes King, will he be King Harry? No.

And people do still call William "Wills" in real life, yes?

Baby George has no official nickname at this time, that much is obvious. Harry did, William didn't (perhaps the parents had learned something in the meantime).

Interesting, still, that the actual announcement disappears into time, while the newspaper accounts remain (which again, is my point: practical usage will trump official usage anyway). I think they will actually call in George in public (I have never used one of my daughter's nicknames in public - the other one, we use all the time; rather like the royal family has done with William and Henry).

If they end up calling George "Alex" at home, I will bet that Next Royal Baby (if they intend a nickname) will have an official announcement.

Anyway, I've been properly trained here not to believe the press unless there is an actual announcement on the official website (see how time changes things? Different standards for 25 years ago...) So, I'll continue to ask for facts.

The point still is: nicknaming is more fluid than official naming; Wills and Harry both had nicknames (and who knows how many, actually?) - while only one had an official announcement.

Henry VIII was called Hal, without an official announcement (and there should be no debate about his nicknames - again probably not just one). If parents are determined to use another name than the official given name, it makes sense to announce it - but nicknames can arise in many ways (and without consistency across even the same set of parents).

My point, again, is that there is more than one way to get a nickname (compare "Rufus" to "Lilibet" to "Wlls" to "Harry").
Old 07-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Nobility

they called him wombat.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
But, if Harry becomes King, will he be King Harry? No.

And people do still call William "Wills" in real life, yes?

Baby George has no official nickname at this time, that much is obvious. Harry did, William didn't (perhaps the parents had learned something in the meantime).

Interesting, still, that the actual announcement disappears into time, while the newspaper accounts remain (which again, is my point: practical usage will trump official usage anyway). I think they will actually call in George in public (I have never used one of my daughter's nicknames in public - the other one, we use all the time; rather like the royal family has done with William and Henry).

If they end up calling George "Alex" at home, I will bet that Next Royal Baby (if they intend a nickname) will have an official announcement.

Anyway, I've been properly trained here not to believe the press unless there is an actual announcement on the official website (see how time changes things? Different standards for 25 years ago...) So, I'll continue to ask for facts.

The point still is: nicknaming is more fluid than official naming; Wills and Harry both had nicknames (and who knows how many, actually?) - while only one had an official announcement.

Henry VIII was called Hal, without an official announcement (and there should be no debate about his nicknames - again probably not just one). If parents are determined to use another name than the official given name, it makes sense to announce it - but nicknames can arise in many ways (and without consistency across even the same set of parents).
I think part of the difference is the public vs. the private usage. William is always known and called William publicly (sure, some magazines and such sometimes call him Will or Wills, but they like to shorten names - easier to fit in a headline) , just as Harry is known as Harry . Nicknames are more fluid, but I think there's a clear difference between the way the boys' names/nicknames were meant to be used.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, there's a clear difference. The category of "nicknames" is not one solid brick. There are various kinds.

William Rufus may never have heard his - but there it is (or maybe he did; historians disagree...and if Harry were to become King, I wonder if he would be in history books as Harry - or Henry; I'm guessing Henry IX).

There might be a footnote about his birth announcement and longterm use of the name "Harry" (or he could I suppose make himself King Harry I - but I doubt it, I seriously doubt it; he was almost barred from doing that by the official announcement itself "your real name is Henry; we will call you Harry").

Tell me how many other times that's happened, btw? Was that the only one??
Old 07-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Courtier

Georgie is the most likely nickname. Geo is the Italian form of George and I have never heard of someone called George being called that as a nickname. Diana called William, Wills it wasn't just in headlines and Wombat got dropped in as well. Sometimes babies pick up nicknames along the way my nephew was called Monkey cause well he looked like a little monkey he is no 38 and in the family he is still Monkey. Nicknames are generally terms of affection they aren't meant for more formal things. No reason William and Kate won't have a little nickname for George if we find out about it could be another thing. I do think Georgie is probably the most obvious one and Georgie Porgy will no doubt at some stage be said to him. My sister was born Kathryn but she get's Kat she was Kathy growing up but somehow it just evolved. I'm in Oz everyone has a nickname mine is Sebastian (which isn't my name someone started calling me that years ago and does to this day) and my last name get's used as my nickname as well as a shortened version of my firstname which is what my family use. We know the Queen get's Lilybet, Princess Margaret got Margo within the family I remember reading they called Prince Edward, Scooter at some stage. I can't imagine Charles with a nickname or Anne to be honest but I bet Andrew has one. In time one may come out for little George.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
In regards to Harry's name should he ever become King, I believe he would reign as King Henry IX. Reason being is an example we all saw last year during the Olympics when Harry officially closed the Olympic games for his grandmother. He was announced as Prince Henry of Wales. At birth they announced that his name IS Henry but will be known as Harry. So Henry it would be for anything official, formal and such.

Of course we all know everyone wants a Henry, they wouldn't have a Willie or a Sam.... hehe.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Serene Highness

Henery, no less.

Perhaps we should call "Harry" an alias or a moniker.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

If he was going to go by another name I would love for it got be Alexander. As for George I do not see them calling Georgie at all.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-26-2013, 06:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
I guess there's still some time left for a final shot:

George Arthur Michael Henry
I got the 1/3 of the name right!
I really loved the baby's full name, Louis not so much but since it's the 3rd name everything's fine. I'm glad they didn't name him Charles, a little Diana next and I'm all set.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:31 AM
Serene Highness

Royal baby: Who will be Prince George Alexander Louis' god parents? | Mail Online

Don't think it has been posted yet? some options for godparents from Daily Mail, including some that haven't been mentioned here (afaik)
Old 07-26-2013, 06:47 AM
Heir Apparent

ithink that Tiggy and one of William's aunts are also possibilities.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

I hadn't thought of Tiggy but she's a possibility. One of William's Aunt's? From which side, Cepe? I think probably more Sophie than Princess Anne on his dad's side.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

ithink that Tiggy and one of William's aunts are also possibilities.
It's probably a really dumb question, but who is tiggy?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I hadn't thought of Tiggy but she's a possibility. One of William's Aunt's? From which side, Cepe? I think probably more Sophie than Princess Anne on his dad's side.
It's possible that Jane or Sarah will be asked. That would be an appropriate and honest way to honor his mother.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
It's probably a really dumb question, but who is tiggy?
Tiggy Legge- Bourke was one of William and Harry's nannies. Her son, Tom Pettifer was a page boy at the wedding.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Tiggy Legge- Bourke was one of William and Harry's nannies. Her son, Tom Pettifer was a page boy at the wedding.
Ah, thank you! Yes, that certainly seems a viable option :flower: