The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2921  
Old 07-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 1,423
The British royals used to do the same with the godparents being grandparents and other close relatives but they have got away from that with the queens grandchildren. Andrew is the only immediate family godparent between wales boys. Sarah and Alexandria are cousins. They tend to be family friends and family not from the immediate family.
__________________

__________________
  #2922  
Old 07-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,260
On another board they were trying to spin the names as being a tribute to Diana and a rejection of the Windsors because George Alexander and Louis are the names of children of Diana's siblings. They also reject the idea that the names might have been chosen because they were names William and Catherine just liked.
__________________

__________________
  #2923  
Old 07-25-2013, 12:11 PM
BritishRoyalist's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
On another board they were trying to spin the names as being a tribute to Diana and a rejection of the Windsors because George Alexander and Louis are the names of children of Diana's siblings. They also reject the idea that the names might have been chosen because they were names William and Catherine just liked.
Some of the hatred towards the Royal Family from the Diana Loyalist really disgustes me and it does more and more everyday. George and Alexander honors the Windsor Family side family. They can't Handle the fact that William is related to the Windsors and that he is close with both sides of the family (Although maybe closer to his father side now). Really it time for people's to get over it and move in! William loves both side of his family equally and is close to both. He does not feel the sane way and they always be his family whether they like it or not.

I don't even try to mess with them anymore.
__________________
Long Live the Queen!! The Real Queen of Hearts!
  #2924  
Old 07-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
On another board they were trying to spin the names as being a tribute to Diana and a rejection of the Windsors because George Alexander and Louis are the names of children of Diana's siblings. They also reject the idea that the names might have been chosen because they were names William and Catherine just liked.
That's not the board for me
(did you mention there that the Louis was after Camilla's grandson?)

If they had wanted to remember Diana with the name, they could have used her middle name, her last name, her brother's name, her father's name...but they didn't... they just used names they liked and whatever names they would have chosen, someone would eventually have made a link with Diana.

The diana-'fans' occasionally resemble religion-fanatics....very dangerous people...
__________________
  #2925  
Old 07-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Some of the hatred towards the Royal Family from the Diana Loyalist really disgustes me and it does more and more everyday. George and Alexander honors the Windsor Family side family. They can't Handle the fact that William is related to the Windsors and that he is close with both sides of the family (Although maybe closer to his father side now). Really it time for people's to get over it and move in! William loves both side of his family equally and is close to both. He does not feel the sane way and they always be his family whether they like it or not.

I don't even try to mess with them anymore.
I believe William and Catherine when they say they just like the names. You could make the case that it was a slight towards Diana because they didn't name him Francis and George is one of Charles's name, Alexander is the male form of one the Queen's names, and Louis is one of William's names. From what I can tell, all three names are common among British aristocracy.
__________________
  #2926  
Old 07-25-2013, 12:24 PM
BritishRoyalist's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post

I believe William and Catherine when they say they just like the names. You could make the case that it was a slight towards Diana because they didn't name him Francis and George is one of Charles's name, Alexander is the male form of one the Queen's names, and Louis is one of William's names. From what I can tell, all three names are common among British aristocracy.
Exactly, It a name they like and the names really honor someone on all side of the family (Although George mostly Windsor) But some will say that it only honors the spencers side entirely because they want it that way. They will believe and think what they want.
__________________
Long Live the Queen!! The Real Queen of Hearts!
  #2927  
Old 07-25-2013, 12:28 PM
PrincessKaimi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hilo, Malibu, United States
Posts: 1,324
Here's the opinion of a royal watcher from not too far from where I live:

Ventura man, ex-assistant to royalty, hopes for his favorite baby name » Ventura County Star

He wanted George...

I was rooting for George because of the Beatles connection (and couldn't really fathom the baby being named John, Paul or Ringo).
__________________
  #2928  
Old 07-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Excalibur's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Exactly, It a name they like and the names really honor someone on all side of the family (Although George mostly Windsor) But some will say that it only honors the spencers side entirely because they want it that way. They will believe and think what they want.
As we have been reminded of recently, both William and Kate are very shrewd individuals. So I would venture to say they are all too aware that their son's name is comprised of the names of 3 of his Spencer cousins. My take is that perhaps both reasonings were involved. While they do like the names, and they do honor the Windsor side of the family, perhaps this is also William's way of "including his mother" in the life of his son?

JMO
__________________
  #2929  
Old 07-25-2013, 12:43 PM
BritishRoyalist's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

As we have been reminded of recently, both William and Kate are very shrewd individuals. So I would venture to say they are all too aware that their son's name is comprised of the names of 3 of his Spencer cousins. My take is that perhaps both reasonings were involved. While they do like the names, and they do honor the Windsor side of the family, perhaps this is also William's way of "including his mother" in the life of his son?

JMO
I am not denying that William is honoring the Spencer's side for the reasons you said. I don't have a problem with that. I am talking about the Diana loyalist who want to pretend or think that it does not honors the Windsors at all and that it only honors the Spencer's side entirely because dislike of the Royal Family.
__________________
Long Live the Queen!! The Real Queen of Hearts!
  #2930  
Old 07-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
As we have been reminded of recently, both William and Kate are very shrewd individuals. So I would venture to say they are all too aware that their son's name is comprised of the names of 3 of his Spencer cousins. My take is that perhaps both reasonings were involved. While they do like the names, and they do honor the Windsor side of the family, perhaps this is also William's way of "including his mother" in the life of his son?

JMO
Possibly, but why not just say that? They are also shrewd enough to know that there are Windsor relatives with those names. William has been very upfront about wanting to keep Diana alive, which why he gave Catherine Diana's engagement ring. It's very possible that he will choose a Spencer relative as a godparent.
__________________
  #2931  
Old 07-25-2013, 12:50 PM
QueenS5's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 122
I am so happy for the royal family. Welcome baby "King" George!!! :-)
__________________
  #2932  
Old 07-25-2013, 01:03 PM
PrincessKaimi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hilo, Malibu, United States
Posts: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Possibly, but why not just say that? They are also shrewd enough to know that there are Windsor relatives with those names. William has been very upfront about wanting to keep Diana alive, which why he gave Catherine Diana's engagement ring. It's very possible that he will choose a Spencer relative as a godparent.
Why not just say that?
1) Because it's no one's business but theirs.
2) Because it's not the ultimate reason why they chose the names.
3) Because, like most people, they have many reasons to choose the names they did.
4) Because there are very likely other reasons (Mountbatton, etc.) for the name choices
5) Because part of the fun of naming a baby is letting people think about your choices rather than being overbearing and telling people what to think

Does anyone else think they might not call him George on a day to day basis? William was called Wills (and some other nicknames), Catherine was called Kate. I named my daughter Katherine (in case she wanted to use it professionally later on) but never intended to, and did not call her that.

Some royals have been called by their second names. So it remains to be seen what his day-to-day name is. The parents can take their time in deciding what it feels right to call him (and indeed, that's one of the advantages of middle and third names). In many families, not just royals, children end up being called by a different name - often a middle name - because it feels right.

5 out of the 7 children in my dad's French-Scottish family were called by names that weren't on their birth certificate. Pat was called Fanny (the actress Fanny Bryce was popular back then, and I guess Pat was a little on the dramatic side). Arthur was called Timmy and no one knows why.
__________________
  #2933  
Old 07-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post

Why not just say that?
1) Because it's no one's business but theirs.
2) Because it's not the ultimate reason why they chose the names.
3) Because, like most people, they have many reasons to choose the names they did.
4) Because there are very likely other reasons (Mountbatton, etc.) for the name choices
5) Because part of the fun of naming a baby is letting people think about your choices rather than being overbearing and telling people what to think

Does anyone else think they might not call him George on a day to day basis? William was called Wills (and some other nicknames), Catherine was called Kate. I named my daughter Katherine (in case she wanted to use it professionally later on) but never intended to, and did not call her that.

Some royals have been called by their second names. So it remains to be seen what his day-to-day name is. The parents can take their time in deciding what it feels right to call him (and indeed, that's one of the advantages of middle and third names). In many families, not just royals, children end up being called by a different name - often a middle name - because it feels right.

5 out of the 7 children in my dad's French-Scottish family were called by names that weren't on their birth certificate. Pat was called Fanny (the actress Fanny Bryce was popular back then, and I guess Pat was a little on the dramatic side). Arthur was called Timmy and no one knows why.
And Harry's name is really Henry but goes my Harry
__________________
  #2934  
Old 07-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post

Why not just say that?
1) Because it's no one's business but theirs.
2) Because it's not the ultimate reason why they chose the names.
3) Because, like most people, they have many reasons to choose the names they did.
4) Because there are very likely other reasons (Mountbatton, etc.) for the name choices
5) Because part of the fun of naming a baby is letting people think about your choices rather than being overbearing and telling people what to think

Does anyone else think they might not call him George on a day to day basis? William was called Wills (and some other nicknames), Catherine was called Kate. I named my daughter Katherine (in case she wanted to use it professionally later on) but never intended to, and did not call her that.

Some royals have been called by their second names. So it remains to be seen what his day-to-day name is. The parents can take their time in deciding what it feels right to call him (and indeed, that's one of the advantages of middle and third names). In many families, not just royals, children end up being called by a different name - often a middle name - because it feels right.

5 out of the 7 children in my dad's French-Scottish family were called by names that weren't on their birth certificate. Pat was called Fanny (the actress Fanny Bryce was popular back then, and I guess Pat was a little on the dramatic side). Arthur was called Timmy and no one knows why.
The whole "royals being called by a name other than their given name" thing seems to have been primarily based in the Victorian and Edwardian eras, likely because there were so many individuals with the same first names.

The nicknames we have (or know) for the current royals are all based on their first names. Harry is a nickname for Henry, Wills for William, and so on. I think it's likely that if they're going to go with a name-based nickname for personal use it'll be based on George and not Alexander or Louis.

If they wanted the public to know him as anything other than George, I suspect that would have been released already. Harry - who is just about the only royal with an "official" nickname - had his nickname announced with his full name.
__________________
  #2935  
Old 07-25-2013, 01:17 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,651
They'll call him George - its his name, they like it which is why they chose it.

Why do any of you try and make it more complicated that it is? Convoluted theories, conspiracy theories, Windsor vs Spencer, Diana vs Catherine. It's a nonsense IMO.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #2936  
Old 07-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 1,423
George doesn't really shorten to anything or has an established nickname like Henry/Harry.

I don't think the spencer cousin names really came to the forefront of W&K's minds. William doesn't appear to be that close to his Spencer cousins as he is to his Windsor ones. He may be closer to the kids of Jane and Sarah then earl spencer since his older kids grew up in South Africa and are much younger than their other Spencer cousins.
__________________
  #2937  
Old 07-25-2013, 01:57 PM
PrincessKaimi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hilo, Malibu, United States
Posts: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The whole "royals being called by a name other than their given name" thing seems to have been primarily based in the Victorian and Edwardian eras, likely because there were so many individuals with the same first names.

The nicknames we have (or know) for the current royals are all based on their first names. Harry is a nickname for Henry, Wills for William, and so on. I think it's likely that if they're going to go with a name-based nickname for personal use it'll be based on George and not Alexander or Louis.

If they wanted the public to know him as anything other than George, I suspect that would have been released already. Harry - who is just about the only royal with an "official" nickname - had his nickname announced with his full name.
I don't think that's how nicknames evolve, and I don't recall Wills being announced as William's nickname (nor, for that matter, a formal early announcement for Harry, either). If there was, I missed it - and would love to know about it.

I wonder if the Victorian/Edwardian era influenced my one grandmother (who was born in 1886), whose children were nearly all nicknamed. (In fact, one of the ones who wasn't nicknamed was named after a maiden aunt, and then given to the maiden aunt to raise in another state - resulting in a sort of "female junior" relationship in terms of names.)

If Kate's family intended to call Catherine "Kate" all along (and they probably did) I doubt they put that on her birth announcement. Instead, they probably discouraged people from calling her Cat, Cathy or other versions and just called her Kate or Katey. That's what we did.

Nicknames are not usually formally announced. As someone posted upthread, there are nicknames for George (although it is quite nice if they go ahead and call him George, he's a baby right now, and it's really irresistible in many cases to avoid using a sweet nickname when they're babies).

Georgie would my own unavoidable utterance if I saw that little face.
__________________
  #2938  
Old 07-25-2013, 02:03 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,651
The real reason for Wills and Kate is that it fits nicely into a headline, especially tabloids who often have headlines taking up most of the front page. ITs media, not family.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #2939  
Old 07-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,073
I've done a search on nicknames for people with the name George. There aren't many! One was Geo (pronounced jee-o).
Another suggested "Geordie" from a term relating to the North East of England (particularly Newcastle). Geordie came about during the Jacobite Revolution when it was declared that the people of Newcastle were staunch supporters of the Hannovarian kings, particularly George II.

So, Geo, Georgie, Geordie....any other suggestions??
__________________
JACK
  #2940  
Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Kellin's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Volgograd, Russia
Posts: 76
I am sure they will have more children and they will have an opportunity to honor all relatives they want. Why should they to give all nice names to the firstborn?
Quote:
I've done a search on nicknames for people with the name George.
They can call him just George, Charles and Diana didn't use nicknames for William.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HRH Duke Carlos Javier (1970- ) and the Royal House of Bourbon-Parma: August 2010- Warren Royal Families of Italy 222 12-05-2014 03:23 AM
Potential Names and Godparents for Zara Phillips Tindall and Mike Tindall First Child Zonk The Princess Royal and Family 110 06-05-2014 04:47 AM
Baby Cambridge: Musings and Suggestions Zonk The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 3615 07-22-2013 02:30 AM
Possible names and godparents for Joachim & Marie's baby principessa Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and Family 390 07-26-2009 11:56 AM




Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]