The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
But George was not the last King George's name. It was Albert. Prince George was his brother, who was bi-sexual, who had many lovers while having a wife and 3 children. Sort of a reprobate.
He reigned as George. That's what matters historically.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But now you'll find it's back in fashion!

(The names are not what I'd hoped, yet not as bad as I'd feared.)

When will they have the Christening?
I've heard a lot of George's (and Henry's) in the last few years so already think it was having a comeback (in Australia that is) and will now be even more popular.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As for the King Georges - the last two were amongst Britain's best - leaders in times of crisis and in the case of the last one in particular a rallying point for a world in crisis, not just a nation.
Agreed. It's a great choice for a name and I also love his other two names. I was a little surprised they opted to go with three instead of four but it's all good.

Nice to finally meet you, Prince George!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Serene Highness

Does the common person on the street when they hear George think of the previous Duke of Kent? No, they think Colin Firth as George VI just like they think Helen Mirren is the Queen.

According to the telegraph, Alexander was a popular name of Scottish Kings.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
But George was not the last King George's name. It was Albert. Prince George was his brother, who was bi-sexual, who had many lovers while having a wife and 3 children. Sort of a reprobate.
Having affairs is a quite common occurrence among the royals of that age. His drug use is a bit more concerning. But he was still Uncle to the Queen's three beloved cousins, and namesake to the current heir of the Duke of Kent.

But while he may have been Albert at birth, the queen's father is known by most as George. It is as King George VI, he helped guide his country through WWII. The name also allows them to honor the queen's grandfather as well.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Love the name. I am sure he will be a great King, like his great great grandfather was. QETQM would have been thrilled.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Does the common person on the street when they hear George think of the previous Duke of Kent? No, they think Colin Firth as George VI just like they think Helen Mirren is the Queen.

Of course not. They don't know anything about history or who is whom.
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

Three king Alexanders of Scotland, including the last who was father of the Little Maid of Norway, who led to English control of Scotland. Alexander III's eldest son was Prince Alexander, and he died as a child. Alexander was also a very popular name among the Scottish Stewarts, often for younger sons.
Commoner

If Charles rules as King George than this future King may choose to reign as Alexander.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishboy View Post
was the surname confirmed
Royals do not have surnames, per se. When George goes to school, his "surname" will be either Cambridge or Wales, depending on whether Charles is King by that point.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Awful name. George will not be fashionable anywhere, Alexander is fine and Louis will never be used, so what's the difference. But it is their child, so...of course, they may never have picked that name themselves.
As I previously pointed out, George is currently fashionable in England, and has been for many years.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Courtier

I love the baby's names and I'm in no way surprised that George is the first name. IMO there are about five or six names they would have realistically used for a firstborn boy and future king and most of them - Charles, William, Henry, Edward, maybe James - are currently held by close family members.

I never thought they'd pick an untraditional or, (kill me), "creative" name.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

They like the name - surely that is enough reason, for goodness sake!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge named their son | Spletnik.ru

The name "Alexander" fitted the Romanovs more than the brand "Windsor". "George" is fine for them.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Serene Highness

Anyone know how the "Louis" is pronounced?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Serene Highness

in the French way Kaimi

LaRae
Old 07-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Telegraph has an article about how little George might change his name upon accession because a lot of other Kings have done so. Personally I kinda feel like HM on this issue. Little George will presumably be called George by friends and family, and will be known as Prince George, so why would he choose to go by Alexander all of a sudden when he becomes King? I can understand why George VI decided to reign as George instead of Albert, because he wanted to honour his father and I would be understanding if little Estelle in Sweden chose to go by Mary instead of Estelle because, unlike little George, she has a name that's less traditional. I don't know, I just think it's weird, I would personally feel very weird about one day just scrapping a name I've gone by for all of my life, in favour of one of my secondary names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Anyone know how the "Louis" is pronounced?
Lou-ee, not Lewis (due to contrary belief - I've heard so many people pronounce it like that and I just wanna shake them and shout "LOU-EEEEEE!!!" because it really bothers me).

Old 07-24-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberdana View Post
If Charles rules as King George than this future King may choose to reign as Alexander.

Maybe, though I seriously doubt it. ('Course, I only get ONE POINT with my WILLIAM CHARLES PHILIP LOUIS...)

To the contrary, seems to me the "George Alexander Louis" proves (1) what another poster said earlier, that the era of taking a regnal name other than the first name is over, because neither Alexander nor Louis will be chosen; (2) that making it only three names also reduces any chance of an interior name as the regnal name; (3) in contrast to my predictions that Prince Charles would eschew Charles III and take George VII, those who said that he would not confuse or alienate his public with a new, unfamiliar regnal name have been correct, and he will be FIRST NAME Charles III -- followed by FIRST NAME William V and FIRST NAME George VII. (But since I expect Will to live to age 97 I won't be around for Coronation of the latter...)
Old 07-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Courtier

George is our youngest, born 1982, so I'm feeling pretty happy today
Old 07-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Some posters keep claiming that George is "old fashioned", "un-British" and "unfashionable everywhere" yet it is still one of the top 10-15 boys names in the UK which seems to suggest that it is still in current usage, is British and indeed still fashionable in the UK.