The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Out of the three chosen names, George is the least appealing one. George is so old fashioned and not in a nice way.

But now you'll find it's back in fashion!

(The names are not what I'd hoped, yet not as bad as I'd feared.)

When will they have the Christening?

Old 07-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
I wish the palace had issued a statement saying how they're going to pronounce Louis. They pronounced it "Loo-ee" at William and Kate's wedding, and Philip's Mountbatten uncle and grandfather were "Loo-ee." But, I've already heard same reporters saying the name as "Lou-iss," as in St. Louis.
The reporters are probably getting it wrong. I think the assumption when people see "Louis" is to pronounce it Lou-iss, but in the family it gets pronounced Loo-ee.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

But now you'll find it's back in fashion!

(The names are not what I'd hoped, yet not as bad as I'd feared.)
I agree completely!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
I expected George, though I am a bit disappointed that there is no "Phillip" in the list of baby names
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Prince Philip himself rejected this idea in its entirety. Don't forget William visited him not too long ago, IMO to broach the topic of naming a possible son after him. He probably retorted, in true Philip fashion, "they'll get us mixed up!"

And a possible response to the idea from HMQ, who I imagine would want to honor Philip for his 60+ years of service to her and the country: "Well he won't live forever, now will he?"

Which leads me to believe that future children, born after Philip's passing, may indeed carry his name.

JMO.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Prince Philip himself rejected this idea in its entirety. Don't forget William visited him not too long ago, IMO to broach the topic of naming a possible son after him. *He probably retorted, in true Philip fashion, "they'll get us mixed up!"*

And a possible response to the idea from HMQ, who I imagine would want to honor Philip for his 60+ years of service to her and the country: "Well he won't live forever, now will he?"

Which leads me to believe that future children, born after Philip's passing, may indeed carry his name.

JMO.
They really would get two Philips mixed up too.

Didn't one of the reports of George's birth day that the Duchess of Cambridge had given birth to the Prince of Wales' son?

It's clearly hard enough to keep everyone straight, even without name duplication.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Courtier

Well george is his name........im not too keen .......but it will grow on me
Old 07-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Nobility

Not that it matters, nor should it, I like the names.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Courtier

I am really disappointed with 'George'. It's old-fashioned, not particularly British ( St George is the patron saint of many places including Russia); past Kings George have ranked from the ineffectual and drunken to really ugly, dull or mad and bad. There are many attractive royal names which would be more appropriate for a C21 prince, in my opinion. I can just hear the wits again with their 'Georgie Porgie,pudding and pie....' - that's George IV - he was obese, smelly, nasty, predatory around females and a noted coward. I expected more from and for a modern prince.

There was nothing, really, to prevent them from calling the baby a more contemporary name, even James (it's no more Scottish than Charles, and we've learnt that the Queen had to battle hard to get her way and thus name the Prince of Wales - it's probably why it took a month to announce), and personally, I would have preferred a truly traditional British rather than yet another Hanoverian name, e.g. Arthur, Edwin, Alfred, Edmund, Harold, etc.

Still, if the Duke and Duchess really did prefer the name there's nothing more to be said, though I don't think that I believe it. 'Farmer George' is the traditional appellation for kings bearing this name and whereas farming is an honourable occupation, it's never been meant as a compliment - they were all intellectually thick, boring and dull. I hope that the little prince avoids the stigma which attaches, historically, to his name. At least we know that he has a very intelligent mother (check her A-level results) and both parents are well-educated so there's every reason to hope that he'll be more accomplished, better educated and more involved and interesting than any other of his earlier namesakes.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Serene Highness

They say the queen never made a wrong step, and I guess this super-safe name is "not making a wrong step" but it's too bad they have backed up into the past. The George's were pretty good or very good kings, even George III. George III was faithful to his wife, had fifteen kids (that is what is reported in books anyway), and couldn't help it that he had a gene that they couldn't understand and couldn't treat and hence had to have a Regent rule in his final days. It was not his fault. It would have been more to my taste to have a bolder choice. But bold is not monarchy? Tradition!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Commoner

I am disappointed George is so overdone for Kings and I was really hoping for something a bit more modern and fresh.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Courtier

IIRC William was a good student as well so between both he and Kate the child shouldn't need to be referred to as 'farmer George'.

LaRae
Old 07-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Courtier

Any idea when the Christening will be scheduled?
Old 07-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I think you got the right idea why these names were picked, to honor the past relatives of the Windsors.
George: all the Kings named George including the Queen's beloved father. Louis for Duke William, Prince Charles and Prince Philip in honor of their relative Lord Mountbatten.

Alexander in honor of the Queen and Alexandra of Denmark. (Because the only kingly sounding male name beginning with E is Edward. And we already have a living Prince Edward.)

Does anyone else know another reason why Alexander would be picked? The way it sounds with the other names or Alexander the Great? Is there someone in the past in the Middleton family with that name? Need to do some research.
I think Alexander was a way of honoring Philip without using Philip. Maybe Will didn't want to think of grandpa dying soon. Louis would be more for Charles, as Charles was so close to his Great Uncle, even if Philip's Uncle.

Alexander is a common name in the Mountbattan family. Philip's grandfather was Prince Louis Alexander, his great-grandfather was Alexander of Hesse. Lord Ivar, Louise's godfather and a grandson of Philip's Uncle George, is Ivar Alexander.

George- for the queen by honoring her father
Alexander- for Philip through his grandfather and great-grandfather
Louis-William for his middle name, and Charles for his beloved Uncle
Old 07-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, I at least picked the first name right! The other names I wasn't close on, but I knew it would be George.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 07-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am just glad they didn't call him James.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Serene Highness

The christening won't be until the Queen comes back from Balmoral so not until October or November. An ideal date would have been Prince Charles's 65 birthday but that is a day before the Commonwealth Heads of govt mtg in Asia. I am thinking the queen and philip's wedding annv later in nov.

With the name done, the only thing left is godparents and then the wait for official photos begin.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Awful name. George will not be fashionable anywhere, Alexander is fine and Louis will never be used, so what's the difference. But it is their child, so...of course, they may never have picked that name themselves.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Majesty

I have seen a report that George was one of most popular names in the UK in 2011 and it will speed to the top of the pile again now.

I also like the fact that the last Duke of Cambridge, before William, started life as HRH Prince George of Cambridge.

As for the King Georges - the last two were amongst Britain's best - leaders in times of crisis and in the case of the last one in particular a rallying point for a world in crisis, not just a nation.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Awful name. George will not be fashionable anywhere, Alexander is fine and Louis will never be used, so what's the difference. But it is their child, so...of course, they may never have picked that name themselves.
Hardly awful. Plain, but appropriate and full of history
Old 07-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

But George was not the last King George's name. It was Albert. Prince George was his brother, who was bi-sexual, who had many lovers while having a wife and 3 children. Sort of a reprobate.