Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:39 AM
Courtier

HRH Prince Arthur [honours father and paternal grandfather]
Philip [honours paternal great-grandfather]
Michael [honours maternal grandfather

Old 07-24-2013, 05:46 AM
Aristocracy

I hope that they don't use the name Oliver.
It does not have any positive Royal history to accompany it and it is too common and trendy as a name these days.
It's a guess but my money is on 'No'.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:34 AM
Commoner

arthur cadeyrn brennus arthfael
Old 07-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Viscount James cannot be the new baby's first cousin once removed. First cousins are one's parents' siblings children. Harry has no children and I don't think any of Kate's sibs do either (don't know), but if one was named James, yes, that would be strange. It's William's first cousin - so baby's second cousin, once removed, if it's the second cousin's child. Fairly distant.
No, Viscount James is William's first cousin - therefore James is Baby Cambridge's FIRST cousin once removed. Viscount James children will be second cousins to Baby Cambridge.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:17 AM
Gentry

They can give the baby more than four names, if they want. And to honour all relatives.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellin View Post
They can give the baby more than four names, if they want. And to honour all relatives.
Wow, that could mean a lot of names. In no particular order: Charles, Michael, Philip, Francis (for Diana), Edward, James, George, Andrew, Henry.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
No, Viscount James is William's first cousin - therefore James is Baby Cambridge's FIRST cousin once removed. Viscount James children will be second cousins to Baby Cambridge.

I think there are different understandings of the types of cousins depending on background and nationality.

I had never heard of 'once removed' when referring to cousins until reading this board.

My parents' first cousins have always been my 'second cousins' and that is how my friends etc refer to the same relationship. The children of those cousins are my 'third cousins'. It is quite simple - count the degrees of separation and that equals the cousins. That is how it is done in my circles and so none of this 'removed' stuff.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Serene Highness

The 'once', 'twice' etc, removed is common heard here when talking about relatives...also common to hear 'first' and 'second' etc cousins.

LaRae
Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

I didn't realise deciding who was a first cousin once removed etc. was such a big topic! I am not familiar with the terms as I refer to my cousin's children as cousin's as well because it makes it easier!

Back onto the main topic though, I am still rooting for Alexander or Arthur because they are both lovely and Royal names. I cannot wait to find out who his godparents are and I really cannot wait to see the group photo and the little Prince in the beautiful christening gown. Viscount Severn looked huge in the new gown, whereas the other babies didn't look so large in it. Perhaps at 4 months old he was much bigger than anticipated! I wonder if William and Catherine will wait until the baby is a few months old before his christening.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Oh I just say "distant cousin' as it's easier!

I think the new prince needs a good robust name by the looks of him, so I think It will be George.
George Charles Albert Philip or James Charles Albert Philip/George.

I think any subsequent sons will be named Philip, Michael or James.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Aristocracy

I'd love to see Prince Arthur, I really like this name! James would be good too. What do you think about Henry? I know it's a name of the baby's closest uncle, but he's called Harry, so Henry for the little one will still work I guess.

I don't like George, so hopefully they won't pick this one. However, Gregor or Gregory sound great!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchiolarry View Post
Hi,

What about Geoffrey? I keep suggesting it and nobody seems to respond.

I would also like Philip and Alexander; but Geoffrey would be an old royal name, and not used by anyone in the British Royal Family now...

Larry
In my country people are suggesting Jeoffrey as a good name for a pricne. They're laughing about it, because Jeoffrey is a character from Games of Thrones. As far as I know (I haven't watch that show), this character is rather unlikeable or something.

Personally, I really like this name. It remainds me of Geoffrey Chaucer.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Commoner

I do agree Baby Cambridge looks like a Prince George!
However I am still holding out for Prince Albert Philip Michael Henry of Cambridge
I really like Arthur too or Alistair, as someone suggested earlier although I think the latter is unlikely.

Hopefully we will know soon!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:10 AM

I like Alexander for the new baby! Or could they surprise us all and use something like Christian?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Game of Thrones characters is called Joffrey and pronounced Joff rey, not Jeoffrey or Geoffrey.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The name Spencer seems to be a popular option {with Americans}.

I think they'd be less likely to use the name Spencer than anything else; (I don't believe the animosity between the Windsors and the Spencers has diminished).

I hope they do choose James; I much prefer that to George.
Besides, I think they might want a Scottish name.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Commoner

Most of these names are just so old fashioned. I do like Alexander though. Maybe Alexander Charles Philip Michael.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Gentry

I'm hoping they don't go with George because he doesn't look like one to me. If they must, I hope it's as a second third or fourth name (or even a second son!), but seeing as Charles and Diana didn't give it to either of their sons, I can't see it being a requirement for William.

I also hope that the name reveal comes sooner rather than later! This being such a major decision for the couple, it is kind of an indicator of how much or little their independence will mix with the traditional roles they must play. To be a fly on the wall!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

I like Charles, known as Charlie.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-24-2013, 10:36 AM

Prince Arthur Michael Philip Albert of Cambridge