The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Nobility

Certain names....Percival, Humphry and Herald for instance-are perfectly fine and noble/royal names...but no. just no. not for a modern little prince.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
If we're taking into consideration the descendants of KGV and the immediate Middleton family then:

- Alexander 5 if we include Xan: Alexander Lascelles, Alexandre Lascelles, Earl of Ulster, Lord Culliden, and Alexander Ogilvy
- Charles 2: PoW and Charles Armstrong-Jones
- David 2: David Armstrong-Jones and David Lascelles
- Edward 4: Edward Wessex, Edward Lascelles, Duke of Kent, and Lord Downpatrick
- Henry 2: Harry and Henry Lascelles
- James 4: James Severn, James Lascelles, James Ogilvy, and James Middleton
- Leo 2: Leo Lascelles and Leopoldo Windsor
- Michael 3 including Mike: Mike Tindall, Michael of Kent, and Michael Middleton

There's also 1 each of Albert, Andrew, Arthur, Frederick, George, Nicholas, Peter, and Richard (to name a few of the more popular names seen here).
Different generations should be taken into consideration. And some names are more likely as middle, like Michael, so no matter how many there are

Michael: youngest is 35 (Mike), the other two are 65 and 71
Alexander: Earl of Ulster is 39, Alexander Lascelles is 33, There is Alexander Lascelles who is 11, but as the grandson of the queen's cousin, is a very remote relative not like Viscount Severn
Henry: Harry is 28, Henry Lascelles is 60
Edward: Lascelles (31), Wessex (49), Kent (77) and even Lord Downpatrick is 24
David: Armstrong-Jones (51) and Lascelles (62)

Freddie (34), George (51), Nicholas (42), Peter (35), Richard (68), Andrew (53) are all older then the parents in question, so different generation

The only names, that Baby C would spend much time with as a child, would be James, and possibly are Albert and Arthur. Arthur Chatto is 14, and Albert is 6.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:38 AM
Serene Highness

The cousin thing doesn't work when the terms are the same for both cousins. One set of relationships (the baby's) is going up the line...

Monarchist-US, I like your odds, although I think it's less than 1% for an entirely new name to the family. Prince Dakota or Prince Kenai or Prince Iakai just don't sound quite right. Nor does Prince Corey.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakieanne View Post
My guess is that William is going to surprise everyone. He is a traditionalist, but he is also very much his own man.
A surprise would be great ... my personal favourite: Jeremy!

In addition a name of his and another of her family tree and maybe someones name who was important to the couple, such as e.g. James for Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Different generations should be taken into consideration. And some names are more likely as middle, like Michael, so no matter how many there are...
Oh, I agree. I wasn't trying to do a "I hope they don't use X because Y number of cousins have that name." It was just a "this is how frequent various names are in this family."
Old 07-24-2013, 12:48 AM
Courtier

William is supposed to have met privately with Phillip about a week ago.

Could it be that William was asking permission to name the baby Phillip?
Don't know it Phillip agreed or disagreed but..

Phillip Alexander Francis Victor Charles
Alexander Phillip Francis Charles

Phillip (paternal grandfather's middle name & greatgrandfather's 1st name)
Alexander (Masculine version of middle name of great grandmother.)
Francis (maternal grandfather's middle name & paternal grandmother's middle name.)
Victor (Masculine version of Victoria {William is said to have wanted a daughter})
Charles (grandfather's 1st name)
Old 07-24-2013, 12:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
What about Louis?

Too French and we know what the French did to Louis XVI.

I know that Lord Mountbatten was Louis, as was his father, but it is still more associated with the French kings and given the history between France and England and separately Scotland, I am not sure Louis would be appropriate.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:56 AM
Royal Highness

James Phillip Michael
To be affectionately known as Prince Jamie.
However, now we've seen baby Cambridge, he looks like a George to me.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Sounds a bit too much like Joffrey from Game of Thrones for my taste
or Joffrey de Peyrac from those fantastic French Angelique novels...

Quote:
However, now we've seen baby Cambridge, he looks like a George to me.
I agree. What a strong-featured little fellow he's going to be, I believe.

I still would like a Prince James of Cambridge...
Quote:
I think it's harder to choose boys names then girls, boys need to have strong manly sounding names. There is a reason why you don't see Cyril, Nigel and Clarence anymore.
Or names originally male, now more female: Jocelyn, Evelyn, Hilary...
Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Gentry

I don't particularly care for the name Louis, but I don't think it would be so associated with the French, considering both Charles and Philip's relationships with Louis Mountbatten. And it is one of William's middle names, so I wouldn't dismiss it just yet.

Looking at Baby C, while Philip is still my favorite choice (you and I agree on the names, Osipi; the orders are just a hair different!), he also looks like an Alexander to me.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:22 AM
Gentry

I think they will go back in time for a Royal name not used in awhile.

I still want a Prince Stephen of Cambridge or a Prince Edgar of Cambridge.
But, the sweet little boy does look like a Prince George :)
Old 07-24-2013, 01:23 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
The cousin thing doesn't work when the terms are the same for both cousins. One set of relationships (the baby's) is going up the line...

Monarchist-US, I like your odds, although I think it's less than 1% for an entirely new name to the family. Prince Dakota or Prince Kenai or Prince Iakai just don't sound quite right. Nor does Prince Corey.
Well, by "entirely new" I was referring more to names not used for a royal (HRH) prince...so there's quite an assortment of rather traditional names that are new for a HRH, even if they are used by non-HRH members of the extended royal family. So mainly the names I suggested, like Christopher, Anthony, Peter, Paul, Nicholas.

The 4% names are ones like Arthur, Alfred, Frederick, etc. that have been used for HRH royal princes before but not for a British/English/Scottish monarch.

Obviously I know nothing about what's going on in their heads, but those are my guesstimates.

The chances of them picking something as bizarre as the ones in your post are probably zero!
Old 07-24-2013, 02:05 AM
Nobility

The name Spencer seems to be a popular option {with Americans}.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
If I was in Harry's position and had a son, I might use Spencer as a name. Not for the heir though.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:02 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Probably because making a surname (especially a family maiden name) into a first name is a American invention.

Not an American invention I'm particularly fond of, but it's pretty common (especially nowadays, in the Hollywood/middle-class quest for "uniqueness" ).

I think the BRF will choose to stick with actual first names.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:07 AM
Commoner

Does anyone think the Royal Family would ever use the name Oliver

Obviously controversial to Cromwell but Oliver is an old traditional name, would they ever be brave enough to do it or is it a name that simply will never be used
Old 07-24-2013, 03:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchist-us View Post

Probably because making a surname (especially a family maiden name) into a first name is a American invention.

Not an American invention I'm particularly fond of, but it's pretty common (especially nowadays, in the Hollywood/middle-class quest for "uniqueness" ).

Not actually an American invention at all, although it may be enjoying an American revival right now.

The history of using family names as given names goes back to the Ancient Romans. In European culture many names that are now rather common given names started as surnames, and many surnames are simply variations of "son/grandson of [given name]."
Old 07-24-2013, 04:06 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchist-us View Post

Like the person above me said it is not a new or American invention. In the UK it has not been uncommon, especially amongst the aristocracy.

As an example, the husband of Jane Grey, was named Guildford(or Guilford) because it was his mother's maiden name.

Robert Rich, 1st Earl of Warwick, had a daughter named Essex who was named after her maternal grandfather, Walter Devereux (1st Earl of Essex).
Old 07-24-2013, 04:27 AM
Gentry

Viscount Severn is Baby Cambridge's first cousin, once removed. Baby Cambridge is Viscount Severn's first cousin, once removed. I've been an amateur genealogist for a long time and that is how their relationship would be described by genealogists (at least all the genealogists I've heard/read). It is a common misconception that the children of one's first cousins are one's second cousins.

Genealogy.com: What is a First Cousin, Twice Removed?
Old 07-24-2013, 05:17 AM
Nobility

Ok my last bid is

Albert after King George VI (to honour the Queen)

Philip after The Duke of Edinburgh

Charles after The Prince of Wales and Earl Spencer

Michael after Michael Middleton