The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet View Post
Isabella is right, Viscount Severn and the new baby are first cousins, once removed. Second cousins are those who share great-grandparents (like William and Arthur Chatto).

I don't think it would be a big deal if they named the baby James, lots of families have more than one member with the same name, and I don't think many people would confuse Prince James of Cambridge with James, Viscount Severn.
I just don't see James happening, even though it's a popular suggestion. Even if James is not a particularly close relation, he's still a close-in-age descendant of Elizabeth II, and I just don't see them duplicating it along the same lines as Charles, Henry, Richard, Edward, etc. may be.

I also don't see names with a particularly Scottish connotation (like James, Robert, David, etc.) being used for some reason. Just a hunch.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Courtier

I just hope we don't have to wait too long. Phillip would be great and I really hope the DofE feels well enough soon so he can meet his first Great Grandson. If he get's James wont his nickname be Jamie? I like Richard but I hate the nickname Dick which is sure to be used by certain tabloids. I have a feeling they may surprise us.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:49 PM
Commoner

Frederick is nice and has a royal but fresh ring to it.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
I just hope we don't have to wait too long. Phillip would be great and I really hope the DofE feels well enough soon so he can meet his first Great Grandson. If he get's James wont his nickname be Jamie? I like Richard but I hate the nickname Dick which is sure to be used by certain tabloids. I have a feeling they may surprise us.
He might not have a nickname in the family, not everyone does. William doesn't seem to commonly go by anything other than William, nor does most of his (paternal) family. Catherine may sometimes go by Kate, and her sister goes by Pippa, but it seems like her brother goes by James.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchist-us View Post
I like Christopher, I think that's a nice classic "new-to-the-BRF" yet still royal sounding (Kings Christopher I-III of Denmark, quite a few royals throughout history with that name, etc.) name. Daniel is okay but Tristan is kind of....eh. Too trendy sounding.

Other nice, new-to-the-BRF but still royal sounding names:

- Anthony (King Anthony of Saxony, numerous princes of other countries)
- Nicholas
- Joseph
- Peter
- Paul

Previously used in the BRF non-monarchial names that I like:
- Frederick
- Victor
- Alfred

A lot of trendier suggested names like Joshua, Gabriel, etc. are a bit too overtly biblical in nature for the BRF IMO.

I think any talk of the baby (or anyone else) using a name other than his first is silly talk. Sure, he can. But as has been said, it's done rarely and under very unique circumstances.

All of that being said, there's probably a 95% chance that the Cambridges pick a previous name used for a British monarch, a 4% chance that they use a name previously used by a non-monarch in the BRF, and a 1% chance that they use a name entirely new to the family.
Anthony Armstrong-Jones
Lord Nicholas Windsor
Peter Philipps

Joseph (husband of Mary) and Paul are not too biblical? Far more recognizably biblical than something like Joshua for many.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Nobility

Edmond or Owen is very nice.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Commoner

I always forget about Kate's brother, James. I don't think they'll name the baby James even though it's my personal favorite of the likely possibilities.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Anthony Armstrong-Jones
Lord Nicholas Windsor
Peter Philipps

Joseph (husband of Mary) and Paul are not too biblical? Far more recognizably biblical than something like Joshua for many.
I guess I should have meant used in the actual BRF and not by extended family members (None of those people have ever been members of the BRF IIRC).

Joseph and Paul have been consistently popular in Christian countries for the better part of a millennium. Names like Gabriel, Elijah, Joshua, or whatever have only become common in the 90's and 2000's and are the kind of "trendy" previously little-used Biblical names that seemed to become popular among middle-class suburban Americans in recent decades. I get that other royal families have used names like Gabriel, but I think they're allowed much more leeway to be trendier, especially for non-heirs.

In the UK, Joshua only became popular post 1970, Gabriel has never been popular, Elijah only recently popular. Joseph has never dipped below 60 in the past 100+ years.

Popular baby names - Top 100 baby names UK | BabyNames.co.uk
Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Nobility

In the other royal families, the heirs all but one have a suitable, staid traditional name and the parents had fun with the other children's names and were creative. Kate and William should follow suit.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
There's the two Edwards, but they almost 30 years between them
There are three: Edward, Lord Downpatrick, born 1988; grandson of Duke of Kent.

So if the new baby is named James, there would be four James: James Ogilivy, James Severn, James Middleton, and Prince James of Cambridge.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

What about Geoffrey? I keep suggesting it and nobody seems to respond.

I would also like Philip and Alexander; but Geoffrey would be an old royal name, and not used by anyone in the British Royal Family now...

Larry
Old 07-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchist-us View Post
I guess I should have meant used in the actual BRF and not by extended family members (None of those people have ever been members of the BRF IIRC).

Joseph and Paul have been consistently popular in Christian countries for the better part of a millennium. Names like Gabriel, Elijah, Joshua, or whatever have only become common in the 90's and 2000's and are the kind of "trendy" previously little-used Biblical names that seemed to become popular among middle-class suburban Americans in recent decades. I get that other royal families have used names like Gabriel, but I think they're allowed much more leeway to be trendier, especially for non-heirs.

In the UK, Joshua only became popular post 1970, Gabriel has never been popular, Elijah only recently popular. Joseph has never dipped below 60 in the past 100+ years.

Popular baby names - Top 100 baby names UK | BabyNames.co.uk
Peter may not have a royal title, but as 12th in line for the throne, and the son of the Princess Royal, he definitely is a member of the royal family.

Lord Nicholas Windsor is the youngest son of the Duke of Kent, a cousin of the queen, again another member of the BRF.

Your argument for Gabriel and Joshua was not that they were not that they were trendy, but were too Biblical. I pointed out Joseph and Paul were extremely biblical as well. If you are going to ax Gabriel and Joshua for being too Biblical, how did Joseph and Paul survive the cut off?

And whether Anthony was born a member of the BRF, his marriage to Princess Margrat, and his pictures as an official royal photographer, and his children David and Sarah, will always link him to the family.

Edward was in fact given the middle name Antony in honor of his Uncle.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchiolarry View Post
Hi,

I would also like Philip and Alexander; but Geoffrey would be an old royal name, and not used by anyone in the British Royal Family now...

Larry
Sounds a bit too much like Joffrey from Game of Thrones for my taste
Old 07-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Edmond or Owen is very nice.
I think it's unlikely but I really do love Owen. It would be a nice nod to Wales and sounds appropriate for a King.

This is my favorite of the unusual/unlikely suggestions.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Nobility

what about Christopher then? stephen is technically a royal name and all the bad connotations are pretty obscure by now
Old 07-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbruno View Post
Since both William and Catherine studied in Scotland, I think a name of one of the Kings of Scotland might be chosen. Maybe David, Robert, Malcolm, Alexander or Duncan.
I love David or Robert!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchiolarry View Post
Hi,

Larry
Like the name. Might be argued a bit foreign, and not a good history. Empress Mathilda's husband, the second being Henry II's son who openly rebelled against both him and Richard at different times. And was in league with the French.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post

There are three: Edward, Lord Downpatrick, born 1988; grandson of Duke of Kent.

So if the new baby is named James, there would be four James: James Ogilivy, James Severn, James Middleton, and Prince James of Cambridge.
If we're taking into consideration the descendants of KGV and the immediate Middleton family then:

- Alexander 5 if we include Xan: Alexander Lascelles, Alexandre Lascelles, Earl of Ulster, Lord Culliden, and Alexander Ogilvy
- Charles 2: PoW and Charles Armstrong-Jones
- David 2: David Armstrong-Jones and David Lascelles
- Edward 4: Edward Wessex, Edward Lascelles, Duke of Kent, and Lord Downpatrick
- Henry 2: Harry and Henry Lascelles
- James 4: James Severn, James Lascelles, James Ogilvy, and James Middleton
- Leo 2: Leo Lascelles and Leopoldo Windsor
- Michael 3 including Mike: Mike Tindall, Michael of Kent, and Michael Middleton

There's also 1 each of Albert, Andrew, Arthur, Frederick, George, Nicholas, Peter, and Richard (to name a few of the more popular names seen here).
Old 07-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Looking at the Spencers, there's another Charles (Earl Spencer), Frederick (Viscount Althorp), Alexander (Fellowes), and George (McCorquodale).
Old 07-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Courtier

Alexander has certainly got some use but most of the public would have no idea about them. Geoffrey? All I can think when I hear that name is "wash your hands Geoffrey" from a soap commercial years ago. I like Joshua one of my favourite names. What about Louis? Christopher is really nice too. I think it's harder to choose boys names then girls, boys need to have strong manly sounding names. There is a reason why you don't see Cyril, Nigel and Clarence anymore. (Clarence was my brothers middle name he hated it)