The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Nobility

But your family is not famous, known around the world.

Like Charles, I think William will wish to stay away from names in use, or at least by similar age groups. A name for an older relative like Philip or Richard is different IMO.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Nobility

Why have two children so close in age and who will see each other regularly bare same name? Also, baby C will always have the lime light -be the special baby and the known one and James Viscount Severn will fade into wealthy obscurity. At least let the boy have his own name.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Why have two children so close in age and who will see each other regularly bare same name? Also, baby C will always have the lime light -be the special baby and the known one and James Viscount Severn will fade into wealthy obscurity. At least let the boy have his own name.
Exactly. Why have two boys who are so close in age and will likely be together for family gatherings with the same name? Not only will it be confusing, but it is a bit odd.

Viscount Severn is very unknown, but that doesn't mean they can still use the name James. There are two Prince Edward's, but the Duke of Kent is over 30 years older than the Queen's son Edward. It's not the same, whereas James is 5 1/2 years older. They may be close to each other, just the older 6 cousins are with each other.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
40 absolutely UNacceptable names from Vanity Fair.

40 Absolutely Unacceptable Names for Baby Boy Windsor… | Vanity Fair
Didn't find this funny at all! Someone obviously had way too much time on their hands!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like Phillip Charles Michael George that someone brought up earlier. I also like Alexander Phillip Michael Charles.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Exactly. Why have two boys who are so close in age and will likely be together for family gatherings with the same name? Not only will it be confusing, but it is a bit odd.

Viscount Severn is very unknown, but that doesn't mean they can still use the name James. There are two Prince Edward's, but the Duke of Kent is over 30 years older than the Queen's son Edward. It's not the same, whereas James is 5 1/2 years older. They may be close to each other, just the older 6 cousins are with each other.
It might be confusing on some family occasions, but I personally still don't see that as being odd or a reason to rule it out. I mean, in my extended family we have some people of the same name - it really doesn't cause any problems, other than maybe having to specify which person we're passing the turkey to on Thanksgiving. Also, children are frequently among other children with the same name, at school and such. It generally shouldn't present any major difficulties.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
40 absolutely UNacceptable names from Vanity Fair.

40 Absolutely Unacceptable Names for Baby Boy Windsor… | Vanity Fair
Just hilarious! I agree, Kim Philby is absolutely unacceptable.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wouldn't say it's odd, but I don't think the Mountbatten-Windsors are much for using names that are currently in use, especially when it's of people close in age. There's the two Edwards, but they almost 30 years between them, with another 30+ years between the Duke of Kent and the late Duke of Windsor.

If they went with James then Baby C will share his first name with two living relatives - James Middleton and Viscount Severn - one of whom is really close in age to him.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Serene Highness

David sounds like a good name or they could name him William. Don't really like the name George (sounds old-fashioned).
Old 07-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

There's a name in my family that has been in use for 5 generations, and now, three cousins (not first cousins - but the Viscount James is not the new baby's first cousin either) have that name. They use different nicknames. In another family I know, two of the great grand children have great grandpa's name - doesn't seem to concern or bother anyone.

I've always been fascinating by the tradition (in the past) of British Royals using the same set of names for their legitimate and illegitimate children - not even cousins. I think there must have been some sense of magic or honor in the names.

That being said, King James was a controversial king - I hope they think over that part of it. (cf. Collins Encyclopedia of Scotland, Keay and Keay article).
Old 07-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
I've always been fascinating by the tradition (in the past) of British Royals using the same set of names for their legitimate and illegitimate children - not even cousins. I think there must have been some sense of magic or honor in the names..
I've often wondered how much of that was the father's doing, and how much was the way that different mothers of illegitimate children tried to go "this is your son."
Old 07-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Nobility

They'd have to choose a name that hasn't been used by a previous king, to stay away from a 'controvercial' name. All the names have a bad rep at some point.

Edward-Longshanks
George-Mad King George
James-whole Glorious revolution plus tons of history with the Scottish ones before
Charles- whole beheading
John-cursed or so some say
Henry- Henry VIII
Richard-Richard III
Old 07-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Nobility

if he wants to use James all that bad, he should at least ask Edward and Sophie first.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I see no problem with this child being called James, if that is what his parents want. His is the principal family, and what they say goes, I would think. The fact his first cousin once removed might have the same name shouldn't big a big deal. There'd be five and a half years between them, which is a lot when kids are young. It's not as though they're likely to be together a lot, especially not once Charles is king and family dynamics shift.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Royal Highness

Alexander George Charles Michael
Old 07-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Royal Highness

I think he looks like an Alexander, but I don't think that Philip or Arthur would look odd on him either. George on the other hand ... but that's just me thinking that George looks odd on any human being under the age of eighteen

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I see no problem with this child being called James, if that is what his parents want. His is the principal family, and what they say goes, I would think. The fact his first cousin once removed might have the same name shouldn't big a big deal. There'd be five and a half years between them, which is a lot when kids are young. It's not as though they're likely to be together a lot, especially not once Charles is king and family dynamics shift.
You say they may not be together a lot, but they may well be as they are similar in age. Look how close William is to Zara and Peter. Yes they are first cousins, and when Harry has children this little boy will be close to them. James is likely to be in this child's life, and they will spend Christmas together every year for the next decade or so (until Charles changes the tradition, which he may do when he is King.)

I also think he looks like an Alexander. That's my top bet for his first name.

Alexander Arthur Philip Michael, as it seems Arthur and Philip in Charles and William's names is a little tradition.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I see no problem with this child being called James, if that is what his parents want. His is the principal family, and what they say goes, I would think
I would hope William and Kate would not instill or be an example of that sense of entitlement in their future children..and the queen and Phillip I have a feeling would set them down real quick about who says to jump and when
Old 07-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Serene Highness

Ish, I've noticed that with some (Henry I, I believe), he had the illegitimate children first, with a woman he apparently cared about but could not marry; I think he chose names he liked, and then liked them again the second time around.

It's true that they couldn't use many/any royal names, but they may have to choose their references. I think that if in the meantime, there's been a more favored version of a monarch or use of the name (as with George), that helps.

Philip doesn't bring up any forceful connotations for me, for the British throne. It would be a good name. I think Charles and Diana likely chose William because they liked it, and it does sound modern.

I once thought that George sounded a bit archaic, but there are enough Georges in my life whom I admire that I have to say I rather like it.

Viscount James cannot be the new baby's first cousin once removed. First cousins are one's parents' siblings children. Harry has no children and I don't think any of Kate's sibs do either (don't know), but if one was named James, yes, that would be strange.

It's William's first cousin - so baby's second cousin, once removed, if it's the second cousin's child. Fairly distant.

I agree that once Charles is king, his own descendants (and Camilla's) and their families are likely to form the kernel of holiday events, etc.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I think he looks like an Alexander, but I don't think that Philip or Arthur would look odd on him either. George on the other hand ... but maybe that's just me thinking that George looks odd on any human being under the age of eighteen
Maybe I am biased, but I had a student George (11), years ago, and he was the smartest kid in the whole school. You know, the type: big teeth, round face, unruly chestnut hair, curios, full of personality. I think I came to like the name because of him. Came from a modest family with 5 children. He's now a medical physicist somewhere in Europe.