The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Royal Highness

I'm really softening up to Frances/Francis as a middle name. It honours both Diana and Michael Middleton. I don't really like the name Diana, but they're probably gonna choose that for a middle name for a girl over Frances.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Something just occurred to me. Actually the first name will not necessarily be the regnal name as its quite common to use any one of the given names. Its very possible then that the first given name of the baby will be something totally unexpected with traditional other names.

If the first is going to be a name from a previous Queen or Queen Consort, I tend to lean towards Alexandra or Alexandrina. Or maybe even shorten it to Alexis.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Something just occurred to me. Actually the first name will not necessarily be the regnal name as its quite common to use any one of the given names. Its very possible then that the first given name of the baby will be something totally unexpected with traditional other names.

If the first is going to be a name from a previous Queen or Queen Consort, I tend to lean towards Alexandra or Alexandrina. Or maybe even shorten it to Alexis.
I'm not sure it's common at all. As far as I know, just three Monarchs in our history and one in Scotland used a regnal name which was different from their first name.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think they may choose a relatively modern Christian name, but the middle names will have family links to them/ Elizabeth or Phillip will no doubt be in there somewhere, as tribute to his grandparents who have been a great support to William. I can't imagine Elizabeth or Philip will be a Christian name. No immediate family member has been giving them as Christian names.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
Uh, I still can't get over "Estelle"... a French name for a child who should be the "Swedishest" of all Swedes, and instead of a name of several Swedish queens regnant (or at least queens consort) - Christina being the most obvious one. Yeah, I know, "it's a pretty name" and all that stuff, but still quite inappropriate.
ITA!!!
And I don't think it pretty at all.
But tastes differ.

I just think a (future) Swedish Queen ought to have a Swedish name!

I hope the Cambridges choose something very traditional for their child.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Nobility

Three monarchs of the United Kingdom chose to reign under the last of their given names. Alexandrina Victoria was the first, choosing to reign under the name she had always used despite having been described as "Queen Alexandrina Victoria" in the first official documents. Her son Albert Edward chose to reign as Edward VII despite his mother's expectations of being succeeded by "King Albert Edward". Albert Frederick Arthur George chose to reign as George VI because the name George was more familiar, reminiscent of his father and less German-sounding - all of which was important in the period between his brother's disastrous reign and the Second World War.

That said, I don't think the first name of the child will not be the one intended as future regnal name. All monarchs who chose the last of their given names had a good reason to do so.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:37 PM

I want to add my thoughts to this thread, not that I'm disagreeing with anyone, but I simply want to document my prediction and see how close I come to being correct.

First, whether male or female, I believe the first name will be a traditional regal name found consistantly within the House of Windsor. Second, the secondary names will be predicted but they may fall within a different order. Here we go!

Male: (essentially any combination of these five names)
Edward Charles Michael Phillip
George Phillip Charles Edward
William George Phillip Michael

Femail:
Elizabeth Diane Carol Victoria
Victoria Elizabeth Catherine Frances
Old 12-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
But there will be a Queen with this name in Spain (Leonor is the Spanish equivalent of Eleanor) so I think it's less probable.
I doubt the BRF or the British people care at all that a child on the continent might have a name which they wish to use themselves for a British princess.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent

It will be Catherine and William who choose the name, not British people.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
It will be Catherine and William who choose the name, not British people.
Quite true, and while I am sure they will chose a solid British name for their child I very much doubt they would feel limited in their choices just because some continental prince or princess might already be using a name they like.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Serene Highness

Female
Princess Catherine Elizabeth Diana Francis
Princess Matilda

Male
Prince Philip
Old 12-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Queen Elle??? Queen Primrose??? Queen Ella?? Queen Genevieve??? I think people have to put "Queen" in front of their choices and then think twice about what they would name a possible future monarch. The British royal family are not known for naming their children after soap opera characters or supermodels.
who would have thought that Victoria and Daniel would name their daughter Estelle? i like the name but it was unlikely for a Future Queen.
everyone said Victoria and Daniel were very traditional and look what we've got, the same can happen with W&C if they like a name thats 'not really fit' for a Future Monarch.

Victoria was not a very popular and used name back in the days too, it was Queen Victoria who gave the name a regal surrounding. maybe they will give a diferent name to a possible girl they have, so she would be The First of her name. (like in The Netherlands)
Old 12-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

For a girl:

Mary Elizabeth Victoria Louise
Victoria Elizabeth Mary Alice
Elizabeth Catherine Frances Mary

For a boy:

Albert Charles Philip William
George Edward William Charles
Edward Charles William Louis
Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Girl:
Charlotte Elizabeth Alexandra Frances

Boy:
George Phillip Michael David
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Aristocracy

I like Catherine Victoria Frances Rose for a girl.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Serene Highness

KPWillie, I like the euphony of your selection for a girl's name. But if they name her Catherine she must have a nickname. What could you imagine that to be? Cathy? Cathy Rose? They couldn't say "Catherine Victoria" every time they addressed her--too long.
So maybe a rearrangement of your selected four names might be in order, to Catherine Rose Frances Victoria, or better (because arrangement of end-s's) Catherine Rose Victoria Frances.
On the other hand, they might just address her as K2?
Names are fun, but hard, aren't they?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Gentry

Name and Godparent Guesses ...

Boy:
David George Arthur Francis
Charles John Louis Michael
George William Philip Edward
Girl:
Georgiana Charlotte Elizabeth
Harriet Frances Alexandra
Charlotte Mary Philippa

Godparents:
David Linley
Hugh or Rose van Cutsem
Prince Harry
Princess Beatrice
JK Rowling
David Beckham
David Mayer de Rothschild
Princess Anne
Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Serene Highness

What's the reasoning behind naming William "William"? And, it's not that hard to say the entire name "Catherine," it's usually pronounced as two syllables. She need not have a nickname.

I know many parents who have stood firm on the nickname thing - and if you do, your William can remain William in most circles, rather than be Will or Bill. In Hawai'i, even with a three or four syllable name, people still manage to say the whole thing.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
who would have thought that Victoria and Daniel would name their daughter Estelle? i like the name but it was unlikely for a Future Queen.
everyone said Victoria and Daniel were very traditional and look what we've got, the same can happen with W&C if they like a name thats 'not really fit' for a Future Monarch.

Victoria was not a very popular and used name back in the days too, it was Queen Victoria who gave the name a regal surrounding. maybe they will give a diferent name to a possible girl they have, so she would be The First of her name. (like in The Netherlands)
oh, i like your thinking. Wouldn't it be great if they simply chose a name they really liked, like any other couple?

I just hope, if it's a boy, they don't name him Jayden. Or Braden. King Jayden...oh dear. (I do think they have great taste; both of them, so I trust them to choose wisely).

Both of my daughters have names fitting to be on a throne if necessary.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 AM

They could name the baby Valerie like her grandmother, if it's a girl. Nice but not very common!