The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
My grandmother died from the flu epidemic in 1918 when my father was 6 months old. He named me after her. When he looked at me he didn't think tragedy, he thought - that's my girl, let's go fishing!
I have been sensing for the last hour that they were going to honor Diana. At least in symbolism she is with them if they do. BTW, I wish Prince Charles when his statement was read about the birth he would have mentioned Diana, Princess of Wales.

Philip Daniel Charles Michael

Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Courtier

I read one report that said Sophie and Edward wanted to name their son James, Theadore and the Queen vetoed so then they came up with James. So I'm thinking they will really have to stick to the list. It is a pity they can't bring in some more modern names Matthew is a nice name. I would think Francis is more likely then a Danial if they want to remember Diana. The problem with the list is some of the names are so old you wouldn't want to name a young boy them. They could do like Diana and Charles did with Harry he was named Henry but he is known as Harry. I really hope it isn't Arthur or Alfred they are just such old names.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

If they put Charles in there, I think it's vert likely that they'll put either Michael or Francis in there. Honouring both sides and all. But I also think that Francis would be put in there without Charles because it not only honours Catherine's side of the family, but also Diana's. I'd be insanely disappointed if they don't throw Arthur in there somewhere.

Alexander Charles Arthur Michael
Alexander Charles Philip David
Arthur Charles Michael Philip
Arthur Francis James Philip
Edward Arthur Charles Philip
Edward Philip Henry Francis
George Philip Arthur David
George Frederick Arthur Philip
George Philip David James
Philip Charles Arthur Francis
Philip Francis Arthur George
Philip Charles Michael David
Richard Arthur Charles Michael
Richard Charles Philip Francis

Old 07-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
BTW, I wish Prince Charles when his statement was read about the birth he would have mentioned Diana, Princess of Wales.
It's interesting that the statement said "my grandchild," not "our grandchild."
Old 07-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Serene Highness

I caught that too...I think he is being careful there. He is trying to be sensitive to the situation. It is his and Diana's grandchild, saying 'our' would set the cat amongst the pigeons.

LaRae
Old 07-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Courtier

My bets / guesses for names are:-
George Philip Charles Michael
George Philip Edward Arthur
Philip Charles Michael George

Just my hunch that they'll want to honor Prince Philip and maybe both grand fathers! Also, as the baby will be the 3rd in line...they aren't likely to / or won't be allowed to deviate far in choice of names
Old 07-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Gentry

Quote:
I wish Prince Charles when his statement was read about the birth he would have mentioned Diana, Princess of Wales.
I don't really feel it was necessary for the Prince of Wales to have mentioned Diana's name in his statement. He isn't married to her now, and wasn't at the time of her death. I doubt Diana figures into his daily life, so why would he?

If William glances on the subject, it would be more suitable, especially if the baby's name has some Diana-significance. Even then, though, I don't think it's necessary. Everyone knows she's no longer with her family, that she would have loved the little guy, and that it's sad that she'll never get the chance. It would be one thing if she'd just died in the last couple of years, but it seems to me to be needlessly bringing up her passing and on such a joyous day. It's like trying to pour salt on an open wound, and sixteen years later, the emotional impact just isn't there.

And yes, I say this as someone who views Diana's life more sympathetically.

Quote:
It's interesting that the statement said "my grandchild," not "our grandchild."
I think the Prince of Wales is just stating the facts: Baby C is his grandchild, not Camilla's. Camilla will undoubtedly love this child and treat it as her grandchild, but she isn't trying to replace Diana. She'll be a big part of his royal life, as the wife of his grandfather, so I'm sure Baby Cambridge will have a grandparent/child relationship with her. And I think that's okay.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I have been sensing for the last hour that they were going to honor Diana. At least in symbolism she is with them if they do. BTW, I wish Prince Charles when his statement was read about the birth he would have mentioned Diana, Princess of Wales.

Philip Daniel Charles Michael
I think it would have been inappropriate for Charles to mention Diana because they were divorced at the time of her death. Divorced couples lose the right to speak on behalf of their former partners.

I'm sure William has been thinking about his mother and will find an appropriate way to honor her memory. Perhaps one of his Spencer relatives will be a godparent.

But in the end, Diana is gone. This is a time when the attention should be focused on William, Catherine, and the little one.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Gentry

Quote:
But in the end, Diana is gone. This is a time when the attention should be focused on William, Catherine, and the little one.
I agree. And it isn't fair to place the expectations of Diana's memory onto William or his new little family.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
I read one report that said Sophie and Edward wanted to name their son James, Theadore and the Queen vetoed so then they came up with James. So I'm thinking they will really have to stick to the list. It is a pity they can't bring in some more modern names Matthew is a nice name. I would think Francis is more likely then a Danial if they want to remember Diana. The problem with the list is some of the names are so old you wouldn't want to name a young boy them. They could do like Diana and Charles did with Harry he was named Henry but he is known as Harry. I really hope it isn't Arthur or Alfred they are just such old names.
Do you think the Queen will veto a name that William and Catherine like? She may have vetoed names in the past but she seems to be giving William more leeway to make his own decisions. For example, he spent last Christmas with the Middleton family. William's reign will be very different from hers and she seems to accept that.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Gentry

Just read that according to the betting public James is the favorite name.
But Edwards and Sophie son is already called James. I doubt William and Kate are going to call her sons James as a first name if there is already one in the family.
Why do people bet on James?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Aristocracy

I also like:
Prince Philip Charles Michael Henry
Prince Arthur Philip Charles Michael
Old 07-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Eugenie* View Post
Just read that according to the betting public James is the favorite name.
But Edwards and Sophie son is already called James. I doubt William and Kate are going to call her sons James as a first name if there is already one in the family.
Why do people bet on James?
Because it's one of the few appropriate names for a King available and most people don't know Viscount Severn exists.

Honestly they could still use it- no reason second cousins can't share a first name.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Aristocracy

I wonder if they will use Diana's family name, Spencer, as one of the names for the new Prince. Here is the US, we often use family names as middle - or even first names. It seems traditional, yet a little different... just a thought.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The story - unverified - is that when William was born Diana wanted to name him John, after her father, and it got nixed.
That's interesting. There must have been a lot of back and forth about William's name because it took so long to announce it. I think that the Queen has really mellowed (if that is the right word) over the past 10 years or so. She never would have done the James Bond spoof 30 years ago.

She's been very supportive of William. I tend to think that she will sanction any reasonable name that William likes.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Serene Highness

I just read in the Daily Mail (of course they are usually wrong) that Edward wanted to name James Theodore but the Queen didn't like the name so they changed it to James, this doesn't sound true to me, unless it was just because she didn't like the name that Edward changed because they are close to the Queen, not because the Queen actually vetoed the name, especially with names like Zara and Eugenie being "approved".
Old 07-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Gentry

Quote:
I wonder if they will use Diana's family name, Spencer, as one of the names for the new Prince. Here is the US, we often use family names as middle - or even first names. It seems traditional, yet a little different... just a thought.
I don't think they will use Spencer as a name, though I agree, it would be kind of 'cool' if they did. I just don't think it's the done thing in Britain, and I think Catherine has more of an emotional investment in the baby prince's name than William. I think he'll be fine with whatever she likes (not that he has no say-so or doesn't care, just that she's probably been thinking of names longer than he has) and she knows what's at stake for their son's name. However, I do think if William was adamant about it, HM would allow it.

Quote:
I just read in the Daily Mail (of course they are usually wrong) that Edward wanted to name James Theodore but the Queen didn't like the name so they changed it to James, this doesn't sound true to me, unless it was just because she didn't like the name that Edward changed because they are close to the Queen, not because the Queen actually vetoed the name, especially with names like Zara and Eugenie being "approved"
At the time of James' birth, male primogeniture was still the practice. HM was likely going to be more stringent with the names of a boy rather than a girl -- that's if the story is true. However slight, Prince Edward's son had a greater chance than, say, Zara, of becoming monarch, so I could see her sending the Wessexes back to the drawing board on Theodore. As for Eugenie, her name does have royal precedent and that's likely why HM gave her assent to it for Andrew and Sarah.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Poll: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's son possible name | Spletnik.ru

The name "Alexander" leads the poll
Old 07-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
There were never a King named Alexander in Great Britain, so I don't think they will choose this name.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Nobility

What about Albert after King Edward VII and King George VI who was both called Albert ?

But i'm hoping for Richard as it is my own name so i guess Richard Philip Charles Michael