Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that, whoever is chosen, they will carry out their duties as Godparents with a sense of the solemn responsibility implicit in the position.

Other than providing nice gifts on appropriate occasions, and possibly the odd holiday invite, what solemn responsibilities do you imagine the godparent of a prince might have? they will never be the child's guardian in the event of a tragedy as the monarch is legal guardian to all royal children during their minorities even when the parents are alive. If they need religious instruction there is always the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Dean of Windsor and any number of other household clergymen on hand to take up that task.

Please note that off topic posts have been deleted.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Last edited:
I don't know if it's very likely but, I really want Crown Princess Victoria to be one of George's godparents. She is already a godmother to the future monarchs Ingrid Alexandra, the Princess of Orange, and Christian. It would be fantastic if she was godmother to another future monarch.

MGalitzine, I cannot imagine one of these royals turning to the Archbishop of Canterbury for advice in a time of stress. Possibly the Dean of Windsor since they may have met him a few times, or the priest at the country church where they celebrate Christmas every year.
I would think a lay person of high character and experience would be the best counselor in time of stress, uncertainty, or grief, for these royals, because they are pretty secular people, pretty much pro-forma as far as religious institutions go. They may have faith, but I expect it would not be a faith expressed through such religious personnel.

I think of Prince Charles' role in helping the disordered life of one of the Kent offspring. I can't remember her name or who were her parents, but he was her godfather. He helped her find housing and start her life over again. He was fulfilling the role of godfather in this case, and I consider he won a few brownie points for doing this. Good on you, Charles, as they say in Oz (I have a dear friend in Oz who writes such things to me).

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the van Cutsems are Catholic, and that the Church of England would not countenance a Catholic godparent for Prince George. True or not?

As far as I know the CoE does not have any restrictions on what church a godparent belongs to, so long as they are baptized and confirmed. The van Custems are likely both within the Catholic Church, so I doubt there would be a problem (especially as there will very likely be other CoE godparents).

I do wonder what that means for any Middleton godparents. Given as Catherine wasn't confirmed until just before her marriage, it's likely that neither of her siblings have been confirmed either so for one of them to be a godparent either they'll have to do a quicky confirmation or else have that requirement waved (which is a possibility).

As far as I know the CoE does not have any restrictions on what church a godparent belongs to, so long as they are baptized and confirmed. The van Custems are likely both within the Catholic Church, so I doubt there would be a problem (especially as there will very likely be other CoE godparents).

I do wonder what that means for any Middleton godparents. Given as Catherine wasn't confirmed until just before her marriage, it's likely that neither of her siblings have been confirmed either so for one of them to be a godparent either they'll have to do a quicky confirmation or else have that requirement waved (which is a possibility).

The Church of England has loosened up over the years. My brother had a godparent who was RC, the priest didn't have a problem with that but suggested that instead of 3 godparents, which was traditional then, they have 4 so that there were still 3 CofE godparents.

I think that nowadays it is very much left to the discretion of the officiating priest but I would be very surprised if they asked for "proof" of confirmation. If William and Kate want Pippa and James as godparents I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem even if they have not been confirmed.

King Constantine is one of William's godfathers. I think he follows the Greek Orthodox religion rather than CofE.

I don't know if it's very likely but, I really want Crown Princess Victoria to be one of George's godparents. She is already a godmother to the future monarchs Ingrid Alexandra, the Princess of Orange, and Christian. It would be fantastic if she was godmother to another future monarch.

Do William and Kate even know Victoria? I mean, apart from formal occasions like their wedding or the big get together before the London Olympics kicked off.

The only royals I've seen William and Kate associate with are CP Fredrick and Mary and that because they were in Denmark for a charity deal. And it's rumored they called W&K to congratulate them on George's arrival. Aside from that, they don't hang out with the other European royals.

MGalitzine, I cannot imagine one of these royals turning to the Archbishop of Canterbury for advice in a time of stress. Possibly the Dean of Windsor since they may have met him a few times, or the priest at the country church where they celebrate Christmas every year.
I would think a lay person of high character and experience would be the best counselor in time of stress, uncertainty, or grief, for these royals, because they are pretty secular people, pretty much pro-forma as far as religious institutions go. They may have faith, but I expect it would not be a faith expressed through such religious personnel.

I think of Prince Charles' role in helping the disordered life of one of the Kent offspring. I can't remember her name or who were her parents, but he was her godfather. He helped her find housing and start her life over again. He was fulfilling the role of godfather in this case, and I consider he won a few brownie points for doing this. Good on you, Charles, as they say in Oz (I have a dear friend in Oz who writes such things to me).

That would be Marina Ogilvy the daughter of Princess Alexandra and the late Angus Ogilvy.

Thank you, TLLK for filling in that name of Charles' godchild Marina Ogilvy. I thought that was she, but I was not certain.

While I know that Margarita was Catherine's little bridesmaid and that W+C have stayed at Linley's château, if we're talking Princess Margaret's children as possible godparents, for some reason I think that Sarah is the most obvious choice. I'd love to see either her or David as a godparent to George, but I think it's unlikely.

I'm thinking something like:
Prince Harry
Pippa Middleton
Friend of William/the couple (probably Thomas van Straubenzee)
Friend of Catherine/the couple (I don't know any of Catherine's friends, but I can imagine that if van Straubanzee is chosen, one of Catherine's friends or another friend of the couple will be chosen as well)
A Greek/a member of the extended BRF (possibly CP Pavlos of Greece and Denmark)
Family member/friend/someone who means something special to the couple (I'm thinking Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, Tiggy Legge-Bourke, Peter or Zara Phillip)

While I know that Margarita was Catherine's little bridesmaid and that W+C have stayed at Linley's château, if we're talking Princess Margaret's children as possible godparents, for some reason I think that Sarah is the most obvious choice. I'd love to see either her or David as a godparent to George, but I think it's unlikely.

I'm thinking something like:
Prince Harry
Pippa Middleton
Friend of William/the couple (probably Thomas van Straubenzee)
Friend of Catherine/the couple (I don't know any of Catherine's friends, but I can imagine that if van Straubanzee is chosen, one of Catherine's friends or another friend of the couple will be chosen as well)
A Greek/a member of the extended BRF (possibly CP Pavlos of Greece and Denmark)
Family member/friend/someone who means something special to the couple (I'm thinking Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, Tiggy Legge-Bourke, Peter or Zara Phillip)

My guess is the first four and that's it. No extended family.

Bosom buddies become royal godparents | The Sunday Times
Roya Nikkhah ‏@RoyaNikkhah 1h Who's made the cut as Prince George's godparents? My exclusive on William and Kate's choices in @ST_Newsroom http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/People/article1326939.ece …
Seguito da HRH in BC and 12 others

Espandi

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 11h Sunday Times: Prince George's godparents inc Emilia Jardine-Paterson,Fergus Boyd & Hugh van Cutsem (old friends of Will&Kate) - @RoyaNikkhah

Well...At least we we'll see if that's true...
Here it is said 3 of the godparents are: Emila D'Erlanger, Fergus Boyd and Van Cutsem

Zara and six close friends of Duke and Duchess of Cambridge revealed as Prince George's godparents | Mail Online

Prince William's cousin Zara Tindall is the only member of the royal family to be godparent, while Kate's old schoolfriend Emilia Jardine-Paterson and family friend William van Cutsem have both been asked to take on the role.
The other godparents are the couple's university friend Oliver Baker, William and Harry's Private Secretary Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, the Duke of Westminster's son Hugh Grosvenor, and Julia Samuel, an old friend of Princess Diana's.

No Prince Henry or Pippa Middleton.

I agree that William and Catherine are more traditional than some people would have us believe. Every generation of royalty updates traditions. For example, Prince Charles was the first heir to the throne sent to public school.

I am surprised by some of the godparents. I thought there would be at least one Spencer and one Middleton. I'm not surprised they didn't choose Harry and Pippa. As others have said, Harry, Pippa, and James will have substantial roles in George's life regardless.

I'm sure everything will go well, the women will all look fabulous, and we'll get some wonderful pictures.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have asked the following people to be Godparents to Prince George:

Mr Oliver Baker (Oliver Baker attended the University of St Andrews with The Duke and Duchess)
Mrs David Jardine-Paterson (Emilia Jardine-Paterson attended Marlborough College with The Duchess)
Earl Grosvenor (Hugh) (Earl Grosvenor is the son of The Duke of Westminster)
Mr Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton (Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton served as Private Secretary to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry from 2005-2012 and continues to serve part-time as Principal Private Secretary and Equerry)
The Hon Mrs Michael Samuel (Julia Samuel was a close friend of The Princess of Wales)
Mrs Michael Tindall (Zara Tindall is The Duke of Cambridge’s cousin)
Mr William van Cutsem (William van Cutsem is a childhood friend of The Duke of Cambridge)

As Prince George's godparents have been chosen, the thread is now closed. Please follow Prince George's christening in the following thread http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ge-of-cambridge-22-july-2013-a-35448-103.html .

Thanks to all who posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom