The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Courtier

You can spell Phillip with one L or two. My brother in law is Phillip! It can be confusing. My name can be spelt 5 or 6 ways over the years things can change. I would love for them to call him Phillip as a tribute to his great Grandfather or George is another favourite not Arthur or Albert as a first name they are just so old. They could surprise us and have a more modern first name and he can pick the name he reigns under from one of his middle names.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Gentry

They'd learn to spell it soon enough if it were the baby's name. I think it would be a nice gesture if they did call him Philip, but it's not really a British royal name. Prince Phil? Prince Flip or Pip? George is such a nice, solid name. There's also Saint George and the Dragon.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Aristocracy

I am hoping for Philip as a first name, though I think George is a good possibility. Two names I think are totally out for first names are John and Arthur.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Funny, I was just going to say John or Arthur.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:06 PM

Anyone know what Kate's grandfathers and/or great grandfathers names were? they could always name him after the four grandfathers, two names from each side.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by November View Post
Anyone know what Kate's grandfathers and/or great grandfathers names were? they could always name him after the four grandfathers, two names from each side.
Michael and Ronald

I could see Michael but probably not Ronald. But who knows.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Gentry

One of her grandfathers was Ronald. I would think she'd be more likely to use her father's name, though.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Courtier

John is considered unlucky in the Royal Family so I doubt they would choose that. What about Williams friends? He has some close buddies maybe he will choose one of them? I hope it isn't too long before we know. LOL
Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

The very traditional thing to do is to name the first born after the paternal grandfather and the second born after the maternal grandfather.(which we did)
Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
The very traditional thing to do is to name the first born after the paternal grandfather and the second born after the maternal grandfather.(which we did)
That mean that we would have two 'Prince Charles' for another ten years at least.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Yes - in some cultures that is tradition. Others honor someone who has passed (my youngest was named for his great grandfather - his Hebrew name as well). Others choose to name after a parent (I have a friend who is the fifth Eleanor - name given to all first-born daughters).
Old 07-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Peter is Michael Middleton's fathers name...also a great grandfather named Francis... I would like.

Philip Michael Francis Charles
Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
That mean that we would have two 'Prince Charles' for another ten years at least.
True, why there are so many Georges
Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Serene Highness

There are lots of good things associated with Philip, but I don't like the way it sounds when said outloud. Case in point, Phillipa becomes Pippa. Pip, of course, is a beloved fictional figure from Dickens' "Great Expectations" (which is laid in Cooling where my English ancestors lived), but I don't like the sound of it for a prince. Someone said it could be pronounced Flip. I like David but it is kind of a hard name (the"id" part). What is something that really sounds good? Michael does, Peter, Robert, Aidan, Gabriel, Rowan, Noah, just a few nice-sounding names, which have or have not been used by royal men. I hope Wills and Kate will dare to look outside the immediate family for names of their son--nothing outlandish, but something that sounds well when spoken with Prince or King. We went through this "sound" element with the female names.
They probably have it chosen already, so sit back and enjoy it.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Nobility

rowan is a lovely name... but you don't want to look at your future king and think of rowan Atkinson aka mr. bean.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
True, why there are so many Georges
George VI was actually born Albert Frederick Arthur George. He took the name of his father when he assumed the throne after Edward VIII abdicated. Admittedly Edward VIII was named after his grandfather, Edward VII.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Aristocracy

I would be ecstatic if they chose to name BabyCambridge,

'His Royal Highness Prince James William Micheal Charles of Cambridge'

I love love love the sound of that. lol.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Baby C's grandfathers: Charles and Michael
great-grandfathers: Philip Mountbattan, Edward 'John' Spencer, Ronald Goldsmith and Peter Middleton
great-great grandfathers: ,
Prince Andrew (Philip)
George VI (queen)
Albert Spencer (Earl Spencer's)
Maurice Roche (Francis Shand-Kydd's)
Noel Middleton (Michael's paternal grandfather)
Frederick Glasbrow (Michael's maternal grandfather)
Stephen Goldsmith (Carole's paternal grandfather)
Thomas Harrison (Carole's maternal grandfather)
Old 07-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
Peter is Michael Middleton's fathers name...also a great grandfather named Francis... I would like.

Philip Michael Francis Charles
Francis is a few more generations back. Michael's great-grandfather (Francis Lupton was father of Olive Lupton who married Peter Middleton, the grandfather that has been mentioned Kate was close to). Would make him Kate's great-great grandfather, and the baby's great-great-great.

But since the name is not only Michael's middle name but Diana's, it would be a good way to honor them both. If they use Francis, I don't see them using Michael as well.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Royal Highness

I wonder how long it will be before we know the little Prince's name ?