The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Royal Highness

^thank you for the names!

there is also some that i like Arabella, Jocelyn, Erika (not that traditional though), Elle, Ella, Esther, Kathleen, Mariam, Josephine, Eleanor, Primrose (unlikely), Rose, Sophia, Genevieve, ...

Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elle??? Queen Primrose??? Queen Ella?? Queen Genevieve??? I think people have to put "Queen" in front of their choices and then think twice about what they would name a possible future monarch. The British royal family are not known for naming their children after soap opera characters or supermodels.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

A year ago, I would have said Queen Estelle is extremely unlikely too.
Not that I disagree with you; William and Kate are almost certain to choose a very traditional name for their first born, most likely, a name of a previous Monarch,
Old 12-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Queen Elle??? Queen Primrose??? Queen Ella?? Queen Genevieve??? I think people have to put "Queen" in front of their choices and then think twice about what they would name a possible future monarch. The British royal family are not known for naming their children after soap opera characters or supermodels.
Hey, I personally love the sound of Queen Genevieve!

/My name is Genevieve.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Well if we are going to go out of the box to fantasy land:

Tinkerbelle Beyonce Coco Boadecia
Beckham Boru LLewelyn MacBeth
Old 12-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

A year ago, I would have said Queen Estelle is extremely unlikely too.
Not that I disagree with you; William and Kate are almost certain to choose a very traditional name for their first born, most likely, a name of a previous Monarch,
Uh, I still can't get over "Estelle"... a French name for a child who should be the "Swedishest" of all Swedes, and instead of a name of several Swedish queens regnant (or at least queens consort) - Christina being the most obvious one. Yeah, I know, "it's a pretty name" and all that stuff, but still quite inappropriate.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Umm...Savannah and Isla?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Nobility

They are not actually members of the royal family so they don't really "count". They are not princesses of the United Kingdom and their parents carry out no official duties, so neither of them is expected to do so. They're basically celebrities with cool ancestry. But I did find those names bizarre, I must admit.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Gentry

Cecilia is gorgeous but to French sounding to be a true possibility. I'm hoping for something a little different but still historical name just like Mary and Fred did with Princess Isabella.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Whatever name they choose, journalists will dig through the history books and drag out something horrible about someone who had the same name: Isabel (She-wolf of France); John (Lackland); Edward (Longshanks or Hammer of the Scots); Mary (Bloody Mary) and so on.

Since I did my list a few days ago, I've read all of the suggestions and am adding Eleanor to my list - it is a beautiful name.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Serene Highness

HHHermione, I love the name Genevieve. It was the name of my mother's eldest sister, who died as a child. It is a name which was very popular among Irish Catholics back around the turn of the 19th to 20th centuries. Because Genevieve was a revered saint.
Did you know Queen Margaret of Scotland is a saint to the Catholic Church? And also to the Episcopal Church in the USA (I suppose therefore to the Church of England).

It is not far out for a royal name although of course unusual. I am in favor of traditional but unusual names for the babies. Plenty of those names, as I posted before, such as Alice.

I believe Estelle was a woman married to the first modern king of Sweden. They were divorced at some point, so she is controversial as a role model, but I think Victoria may be a maverick and supportive of royal women. I have heard they are even trying to emerge the tiara which belonged to the original Estelle; is that right, do you remember?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
HHHermione, I love the name Genevieve. It was the name of my mother's eldest sister, who died as a child. It is a name which was very popular among Irish Catholics back around the turn of the 19th to 20th centuries. Because Genevieve was a revered saint.
Did you know Queen Margaret of Scotland is a saint to the Catholic Church? And also to the Episcopal Church in the USA (I suppose therefore to the Church of England).

It is not far out for a royal name although of course unusual. I am in favor of traditional but unusual names for the babies. Plenty of those names, as I posted before, such as Alice.

I believe Estelle was a woman married to the first modern king of Sweden. They were divorced at some point, so she is controversial as a role model, but I think Victoria may be a maverick and supportive of royal women. I have heard they are even trying to emerge the tiara which belonged to the original Estelle; is that right, do you remember?
Thank you! Yes, St. Genevieve is the patron saint of Paris. I consider it HIGHLY unlikely as a choice as well, and in fact, would be quite dismayed because all of a sudden, my rather unique name would be the next Jennifer or Brittany :) I guarantee the name they choose will see a major resurgence in popularity, no matter what they go with.

I was only registering my objection to seeing my name included as a nouveau name fit only for super models or actresses when it's a very old name with quite a lot of history and dignity behind it.

And yes, I rather like the fact that Victoria chose to name Estelle after one of the lesser known women in her family history. I thought it was a beautiful idea. Not sure about the jewelry rumor though.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Gentry

How about Margaret, after the Queen's late sister? (And my mother...)
Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Serene Highness

Hermione, I did read that it was rumored that "Estelle's" tiara was being emerged from wherever it was stored. That previous Estelle being the wife of Count Bernadotte.

I can see where it would be awful to have a name which became the New Jennifer. My name Mariel, oddly, is so unusual that I have met face to face only one other. I spent my childhood pronouncing and spelling it. Today I don't have as much trouble as I just say it very distinctly and spell if requested. As a child I was Marilyn, Mary, Marie, Mabel, Muriel, Merrill, Mary Ellen and probably several more I've forgotten. It is a joining of the name Mary Elliott, my grandmother. I just sign Margaret for my other grandmother if I can't stand dealing with the name-struggle.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Serene Highness

McKeen, I have posted that I am keen on the name "Margaret" for the royal baby. Has some good associations in history, and also was the name of the Queen's sister. I like the other Scots names too, Alice (for Princess Alice) and Robert (for several Kings of Scotland) and Margery for the mother of Robert II of Scotland (sometimes spelled Marjorie). Of course there are lots more Scots names. For some reason I am very attached to the odd name Margery, perhaps because of the touching way in which Margery died in childbirth in an abbey near where my Scots family lived.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Gentry

I don't think Margaret is likely because she was an aunt and not a direct ancestor and because there wasn't an English queen named Margaret. There's also little Margarita Armstrong-Jones, whom William and Kate had in their wedding party. I don't think you're going to see any repeats of names. I do like the idea of them adding a name that has some connection to where they've been living for the last few years or perhaps to Wales or Cambridge. The last Duke of Cambridge was Queen Mary's brother and her nickname was May. I wonder if they might change up the name a little bit and use May as one of the middle names instead of Mary.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

There were in fact several English Queens named Margaret:
- Margaret of France (wife of Henry the Young King)
- Margaret of France (second wife of Edward I)
- Margaret of Anjou (wife of Henry VI)

There was also a Queen Regnant with the name, albeit in Scotland, not England - Margaret, Maid of Norway (granddaughter and heiress of Alexander III of Scotland). Because of that, any future Queen of the United Kingdom will be Margaret II, not Margaret I.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Well if we are going to go out of the box to fantasy land:

Tinkerbelle Beyonce Coco Boadecia
Beckham Boru LLewelyn MacBeth
I'll add Latifah to that list.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:55 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post

Umm...Savannah and Isla?
Two children who don't have royal titles and will never be Queen.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Since I did my list a few days ago, I've read all of the suggestions and am adding Eleanor to my list - it is a beautiful name.
But there will be a Queen with this name in Spain (Leonor is the Spanish equivalent of Eleanor) so I think it's less probable.