Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
William and Kate went to see Mary and Frederick personally (no agenda) around the time of the royal wedding in 2011. This was shortly after the birth of the Danish twins. I thought at the time, maybe Wills and Kate are getting advice on having twins. Just a wild thought.

They did? Do you remember which article talk about it?

William and Kate went to see Mary and Frederick personally (no agenda) around the time of the royal wedding in 2011. This was shortly after the birth of the Danish twins. I thought at the time, maybe Wills and Kate are getting advice on having twins. Just a wild thought.

Never heard this one before but it sounds bogus. Why would an unmarried couple (probably the most watched in the world especially Catherine pre wedding) go to Denmark to talk about "having" twins? Surely there would have been medical advice available in the UK is one was planning on "having" twins and probably a few people they know in the UK who could talk about raising twins. I know they went late in 2011 to Denmark but that was a one day visit for UNICEF, and they probably saw a bit of each other at this years Olympics.

i think its not that The Queen will be the last seal of approve but she would like to share her opinion with them. i dont see nothing wrong with that

Most grandmothers want some input, and she has more clout than most!

If this had been the case, I'm fairly certain the Danish medias would have made us very aware of the fact that they were in the country, just like when they were here for the UNICEF thing. They weren't here around the time of the royal wedding.

What about Sophia Dorothea? I know she never became queen, but she was the mother of George II, and Sophia was the name of George I's mother, too, although not Dorothea. Charlotte and Caroline are nice names, too.

If it's a boy, I'm hoping not George or Edward. Maybe some of the older names that haven't been used in a while, like James, Richard, or Henry.

If it's a boy, I'm hoping not George or Edward. Maybe some of the older names that haven't been used in a while, like James, Richard, or Henry.
James, Richard and Henry have very much been used in recent times.
- Richard is the name of the Duke of Gloucester
- James is the name of Viscount Severn
- Henry is the name of Prince Harry

All three names were in use for pretty much every generation of British Royals in this century.

I think there could be an Albert or George. The royal family hasn't had a Bertie in 60 years.

Never heard of it,would seem to be a very odd choice of conversation!

James, Richard and Henry have very much been used in recent times.
- Richard is the name of the Duke of Gloucester
- James is the name of Viscount Severn
- Henry is the name of Prince Harry

All three names were in use for pretty much every generation of British Royals in this century.

What I meant was for a king. Since George I there have only been Georges, one William, two Edwards, Victoria, and Elizabeth.

I think there could be an Albert or George. The royal family hasn't had a Bertie in 60 years.
oh no Bertie, i never liked nicknames, Albert (even though im not a fan of the name) is a much better name than its nickname. the same applies to the Duchess of Cambridge, always Kate, but Catherine is so much nicer, beautiful and regal.
if i were to have children, i would not call them by nicknames, so i hope this future baby wont have a nickname either. a person should be called by their real name, but well its just my opinion and taste on the matter;)

I saw pictures of William and Kate talking to Mary and Frederick in 2011. One of you here says they were there for UNICEF, and that sounds reasonable. The article I read commented on how well the foursome related, and the pictures did seem to show animated conversation.
As for talking about having twins, I have no knowledge about actual talk on that. I just thought i might be something they would discuss, as the twins were very young then, and of course William and Kate could be assumed to be interested in how you deal with a twin pregnancy or birth, because twins do seem to run in William's family (I was surprised at the list of twins in William's background, especially on the Spencer line).
Someone said Fred and Mary probably had invitro because Mary was "older" (not very old in my view). I was just surmising about all this as we are wont to do on these forums, as none of us knows the name of the babies or their godparents to be. It is possible Kate really wanted to know what the experience of a twin pregnancy is like, but that is pure speculation. But their friendly visit with Fred and Mary is recorded in photographs. I'm sorry I don't remember the article. Probably linked to TRF, because that is where I find most of this information. Although now I have discovered the riches of Miss Honoria Glossop. But I did not know Miss Glossop when I saw the pictures of the foursome of Fred, Mary, Wills, and Kate.

Victoria Elizabeth Diana Carole
George Philip Charles Michael

Godparents : Henry, Crown Prince Pavlos, Earl Spencer, Pippa, Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie, Sarah Chatto

I've said it once but why oh why do people want to give a little princess the name that will forever see her compared to her (not so) sainted grandmother? There are numerous ways to honour Diana (she had a second name) without using a name that is still so emotive. Frances would also honour Williams' maternal line as it was his grandmother's name and that of her grandmother Frances Work. There are also other names from Dianas' pedigree like Ruth, Cynthia, Rosalind, Cecilia. Louisa and Lavinia,

Godparents : Henry, Crown Prince Pavlos, Earl Spencer, Pippa, Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie, Sarah Chatto

From what I have read William is not close to his uncle. In fact, if you watch the scenes in the Abbey before the wedding, William appeared to pointedly ignore Earl Spencer & his wife.
My bet on godparents are

Prince Harry
Lady Sarah McCorquodale (nee Spencer)
Thomas van Straubanzee
Zara Phillips

But their friendly visit with Fred and Mary is recorded in photographs.

Except nobody besides you seems to recall this private visit before or after the UNICEF visit. A quick google search, reveals nothing. If a private visit has ever occured, which I doubt because these two people have met three times in there life, why would they discuss pregnancy?

Prince Harry is for sure! then Pippa Middleton, as Catherine is close to (i think James will be godfather to the next child they have, not the first-child). Catherine is also very good friends to Zara Phillips and Countess of Wessex, so i would not be surprised if they were to be choosen. The Queen is also a very good candidate, many royals choose their grandparents or greatgrandparents as a godparent, so why not?
and finally but not least, friends of the couple (including some royals like the Greek for example).

The Queen is also a very good candidate, many royals choose their grandparents or greatgrandparents as a godparent, so why not?.

The only royal grandparent that's a godparent is Queen Sofia of Spain to her namesake granddaughter. That's not 'many' and I think you can count The Queen, Philip, Carole and Michael out.

I saw pictures of William and Kate talking to Mary and Frederick in 2011. One of you here says they were there for UNICEF, and that sounds reasonable. The article I read commented on how well the foursome related, and the pictures did seem to show animated conversation.

Yes, they were there for UNICEF, and even helped pack care packages. They may have talked about twins, because of Mary's and Fredrick's twins, but it would be unusual to talk about twins in relation to themselves for no real reason ... unless William might comment that twins run in his family.

I think William and Kate will choose more or less traditional royal name for their first-born and future heir, taking in consideration historical background and close relatives who they want to honour.
That is my guess of male and female first (main) names.

Highly Possible Male Names :
George, Edward, James, Arthur, Philip, Alexander, Richard, David

Less Possible Male Names:
Andrew, Albert, Frederick, Henry, John, Victor, Augustus, Stephen, Edgar, Harald, Edmund, Alfred, Robert, Malcolm, Basil, Duncan, Constantin, Jeoffrey, Thomas, Gabriel

Highly Possible Female Names:
Victoria, Anne, Mary, Alexandra, Margaret, Madeleine ( Maud), Alice, Adelaide, Charlotte, Matilda, Elizabeth

Less Possible Female Names:
Diana, Frances, Helen, Beatrice, Eugenie, Louisa, Sophia, Augusta, Amelia, Emily, Caroline, Jane, Eleanor, Anabella, Arabella, Isabella, Joan, Agatha, Clementina, Emma, Cecilia

If it's a boy, it will certainly have one or some of the following names: George, Phillip, Charles, Michael.
If it's a girl, I have no doubts that one of middle names will be definitely Diana.

Last edited:
Someone explain where 'Basil' came from as a possible name?

Someone explain where 'Basil' came from as a possible name?

People are just speculating and sometimes having fun coming up with different names. In the end everyone knows the names will be traditional and British but as of now we can all have our favourites.

I would like to see an old French or Norman name but it wont happen. For a boy, maybe Richard or John and Victoria has always been my favourite for a girl.

Last edited:
Well, Lumutqueen, I have no reason to exaggerate about having seen the photos of Mary, Frederick, Catherine and William having an animated conversation, much more friendly than a picture of a formal meeting. I could have imagined it, of course, but not too likely. We all know twins are a long shot even in a family which "runs" to twins. Mary and Fred and Kate and Wills are the same generation, even though Mary and Fred are a little older, so it's rather nice that they feel an attraction to one another. If I were Kate I would be interested in Mary's experience of having twins. It must be quite an experience.

Last edited:
The only royal grandparent that's a godparent is Queen Sofia of Spain to her namesake granddaughter. That's not 'many' and I think you can count The Queen, Philip, Carole and Michael out.
Actually King Harald is godfather of IA and Queen Sonja - godmother of Sverre Magnus. But indeed I don't think that we will see HM or P Philip as godparents for William's baby. In the past it was more popular. I think that Harry will be godfather alongside with James and Will's cousins and couple's friends from English aristocracy. No members of other royal families cause W&K rarely have contact with them and I think that they'll prefer to honor people who they actually know well no Mary or Frederic with whom they spent few hours and have lunch.

Laura Lopes (Camilla's daughter) have twins boys. If Kate were interested in the experience of someone having twins, she would have ask someone she knows not someone she just met.

Well perhaps you are right, Miche. I was thinking specifically of the rumor that Kate might use in vitro, and that Mary had done so (both rumors). I would not advise Kate to do that, were I present in her life, but there are precedents for royals using in vitro. Elizabeth the Queen Mother used in vitro for her two children, I have read, and Queen Maud also used in vitro for her only child, the future Olav I. Why they would do this instead of just waiting might be depending on "schedules". Kate knew that she would be expected to be onboard for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, and she might have wanted to start pregnancy soon--and maybe with twins--right after that, using in vitro to speed things up. All speculation. Sorry if you don't like speculation, but everything on this thread is speculation. None of us has any real idea what the baby's name will be or who his/her godparents will be. I hope they surprise us with something creative that none of us thought of.

I think they will have a girl named Elyzabeth Diana Eleonor Grace and among the godparents will be Pippa Middleton, Prince Harry, James Middleton, Prince of Wales and maybe some of the Van Cutsem family

I notice everyone is choosing four names; isn't it three for a girl, four for a boy?
I know the Queen has three names but Prince Charles and both his sons have four.

It's usually four, traditionally speaking. I think the Queen's parents broke with tradition just because, since she has three names and her sister, Margaret, had two. On top of that, they were the children of the Duke of York, therefore, not expected to become the monarch. That may have had something to do with it, but I'm not entirely sure.

Well, Lumutqueen, I have no reason to exaggerate about having seen the photos of Mary, Frederick, Catherine and William having an animated conversation, much more friendly than a picture of a formal meeting. I could have imagined it, of course, but not too likely. We all know twins are a long shot even in a family which "runs" to twins. Mary and Fred and Kate and Wills are the same generation, even though Mary and Fred are a little older, so it's rather nice that they feel an attraction to one another. If I were Kate I would be interested in Mary's experience of having twins. It must be quite an experience.

How many times have they met each other? Like ... two times? I'm not saying that it's not possible, but I very much doubt that William and Kate would talk to two people they don't know very well about the slight possibility that they might have twins themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom