The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Actually I'd think studying the history of one's own country is Important. You can have a global perspective without ignoring one's own history. I can name more presidents of the USA, then I can Prime Minsters of Canada. I find that a bid sad.
I agree completely.

Knowing the history of one's country is a part of knowing how your country came to be. It's a good way to help foster a sense of nation identity.

Plus there's the idea that there are no new ideas in Canadian history and the problems that we're dealing with today are the direct result of choices made 100 years ago.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I wouldn't say that it was known Victoria was likely to make it to the throne when she was born. At the time her father was 4th in line - behind his three elder brothers. That she was a girl made it even less likely, as did the fact that the Duke of Clarence had had ten illegitimate children, 9 of whom survived infancy, proving himself to be rather fertile.

It seems to me to be more likely that after the Duke of Kent died without male issue and the Duke of York died they figured it was a high possibility that Victoria would be Queen. Before then her coming to the throne was somewhat of a longshot.

For the Alexandrina Victoria I think the big thing was that it wasn't a Hanoverian name. The Prince Regent wouldn't let them use any of the names in common use in the family. I googled it, and found this:

Queen Victoria
Charlotte was dead, and the Prince Regent and Duke of York were both married to women past child-bearing age, as well as estranged. The Duke of Clarence married on the same day as Victoria's father. They had both rushed to marry, knowing that their children were highly likely to see the throne. The Duke of Clarence had two daughters, but both died, one right after baptism, and one when she was a few years old. He had numerous other still born babies. It didn't matter if Victoria was a girl, except if her father had a son after her. Any nephews from a younger brother of her father, would not inherit before her. Her gender did not play any role, except in her own family. And in his fifties, Edward and others would likely have considered the chances of him having more than one child. When he died, the Duke of Clarence had yet to have a living birth.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I agree completely.

Knowing the history of one's country is a part of knowing how your country came to be. It's a good way to help foster a sense of nation identity.

Plus there's the idea that there are no new ideas in Canadian history and the problems that we're dealing with today are the direct result of choices made 100 years ago.
I completely agree. However, I do fault the curriculum in Ontario for not giving the students a global perspective on history as well. Canada, as a country, does not exist in a vacuum, did not appear from nowhere and our young history is the direct result of other countries' histories. In Europe, children are taught both their country's history and world history in depth. Better educated children, better informed minds do make better citizens and much wiser voters, after all.

And on the same note, here, they make children memorize the names and capitals of the American states (grade 5 or 6, I believe). I will never understand why (other than USA being our good friend and neighbor :))).
Old 07-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Charlotte was dead, and the Prince Regent and Duke of York were both married to women past child-bearing age, as well as estranged. The Duke of Clarence married on the same day as Victoria's father. They had both rushed to marry, knowing that their children were highly likely to see the throne. The Duke of Clarence had two daughters, but both died, one right after baptism, and one when she was a few years old. He had numerous other still born babies. It didn't matter if Victoria was a girl, except if her father had a son after her. Any nephews from a younger brother of her father, would not inherit before her. Her gender did not play any role, except in her own family. And in his fifties, Edward and others would likely have considered the chances of him having more than one child. When he died, the Duke of Clarence had yet to have a living birth.
None of the British Queens were meant to become queens and yet, they were among the best!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post

Actually Victoria was fifth in line to the throne at birth behind her Father, Two Brothers (Including William IV and the other Prince Fredrick who died in 1827) and the Prince Regent (George IV)

1. The Prince Regent George IV
2. Prince Frederick Duke of York and Albany
3. William IV
4 Prince Edward Duke of Kent and Strathem
5. Princess Victoria
I know she was 5th in line, I said her father, the Duke of Kent, was 4th in line, after his 3 elder brothers, the Prince Regent, the Duke of York, and the Duke of Clarence.

Quote:

You're missing my point here.

Victoria - like every other Queen Regent in British history - was not expected to inherit the throne at birth. While it would have been considered a possibility then, it would have been an unlikely one. Her father was still alive and believed to be capable of having more children, most importantly sons who would have inherited over her. Her uncle, the Duke of Clarence and future William IV, was older than her father, had a young bride, and was expected to have children - that the Clarence's had lost one infant already didn't necessarily mean that they couldn't have more children. It had, after all, been a live birth and infant mortality wasn't exactly uncommon.

The idea that it was known that Victoria was likely to be queen at her birth is based on a hindsight bias - we know she became Queen because her uncles didn't produce the legitimate children necessary to inherit, but that wasn't evident at her birth. At that point it would have been expected that the Dukes of Kent and Clarence would have had more children, regardless of their age.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Here are my final guesses:

Girl:

Mary Diana Carole Elizabeth
Victoria Diana Carole Elizabeth
Alexandra Diana Carole Elizabeth
Charlotte Diana Carole Elizabeth

Boy:

Albert Charles Michael Philip
George Charles Michael Philip
Edward Charles Michael Philip
Old 07-22-2013, 03:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

My guess are Charlotte, Alexandra or Alice for a girl. Arthur, George, Alexander or Louis for a boy.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

As today is St.Madeleine, according to Catholic Calendar, it will be nice to name the baby Madeleine, if it's a girl.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:21 AM
Aristocracy

I think they might use Francis for middle names for either girls and boy but maybe not for first name it just doesnt go with the Prince Princess title.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:28 AM
Serene Highness

Maude Alexandra Frances Elizabeth

Richard Charles Phillip Michael
Old 07-22-2013, 04:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Maude Alexandra Frances Elizabeth

Richard Charles Phillip Michael
Is Maude-English variant of Madeleine?
Old 07-22-2013, 04:35 AM
Nobility

Ok I change my mind again,

Girl: Alexandra Elizabeth Victoria Diana/Frances
Boy: George Albert Philip Charles
Old 07-22-2013, 05:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
Is Maude-English variant of Madeleine?
Lenora- if we can believe Wikipedia (and other sources), Maud or Maude is a variant of Mathilda. Princess Maud of Wales, daughter of Edward VII, became queen of Norway when she married King Haakon.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Lenora- if we can believe Wikipedia (and other sources), Maud or Maude is a variant of Mathilda. Princess Maud of Wales, daughter of Edward VII, became queen of Norway when she married King Haakon.
Thank you for explanation.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:11 AM
Aristocracy

Final guess is a girl named Alice.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:18 AM
Nobility

I like Charlotte for a girl and Alexander for a boy
Old 07-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Royal Highness

Final Name: Philip Charles Henry Michael. Born on the cusp of Cancer/Leo.

If not above name then a person who is very close to William and Catherine. They might use only the first initial like Catherine's mother did with Catherine.

Hope it is today and not a very long labor.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Commoner

Charlotte Elizabeth Diana Carole is my guess
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 AM
Courtier

I hope for Alexandra or Rachel for a girl and Alexander or Richard for a boy.
I simply like these names.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Aristocracy

I see Alexandra's wining the betting pool for a girl and I kind of like that name. George for a boy - hmmm, it's OK but it wouldn't be my top name. I wonder if they will give it "Diana" for one of the middle names. Surely they wouldn't give it any of Camilla's names - that would have the Diana fans spitting mad.