The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Nobility

you know they would nickname her to separate her from her aunt and grandad so she would be one of those.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:15 PM
Nobility

Phillippe in Belgium, Phillipa in the UK, July would be declared the month of Phillips. :))

Old 07-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Nobility

and spain, sort of. it's a good strong name and 'friend of horses' ...what could be more fitting for a little Windsor?
Old 07-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

There have been Philippa's in the BRF. And if we are going to rule out names that weren't originally British royal names, Albert and Victoria will have to be axed from the top of the list.

Philippa of Hainnault- wife of Edward III
Philippa Plantaganent- Edward III's granddaughter by his son Lionel. She is the grandmother of Anne Mortimer, who in turn was grandother of Edward IV and Richard III.
Philippa of Lancaster-daughter of John Gaunt

Philip is Greek, not German, means horse lover.
Thank you for pointing out the Philippas - I stand corrected.

It's not very common for new names to be introduced to the BRF in the heir apparent, which this baby is (or... The heir apparent of the heir apparent to the heir apparent). Victoria was never the heir apparent, and her introduction of Albert to the common royal names was nothing short of an obsession with her husband and a fair bit of narcissism on her part.

What is far more common in the BRF is that a non-BRF name is given to someone who isn't in the direct line of succession and isn't expected to ever become monarch, and then circumstances change and he/she does become monarch. That's how Victoria got into the BRF. Look at the Queen - she had two children born in succession and given BRF names, then had a second son and gave him the name of a non-BRF.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Nobility

Oh, yes, I forgot about Spain, how could I? The media will have a ball distinguishing between them royals when broadcasting news.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Nobility

to be honest, in America the British RF is the only one the vast majority know or care about other than the occasional Princess Grace fan- including the media. the Swedish chef might as well be heir to the Swedish throne and lets not even talk about the Netherlands...
Old 07-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Thank you for pointing out the Philippas - I stand corrected.

It's not very common for new names to be introduced to the BRF in the heir apparent, which this baby is (or... The heir apparent of the heir apparent to the heir apparent). Victoria was never the heir apparent, and her introduction of Albert to the common royal names was nothing short of an obsession with her husband and a fair bit of narcissism on her part.

What is far more common in the BRF is that a non-BRF name is given to someone who isn't in the direct line of succession and isn't expected to ever become monarch, and then circumstances change and he/she does become monarch. That's how Victoria got into the BRF. Look at the Queen - she had two children born in succession and given BRF names, then had a second son and gave him the name of a non-BRF.
Victoria may not have been heir apparent, but they knew there was a high chance she would be queen. Charlotte was dead, and there was a rush of the remaining unmarried brothers, to marry and have a legitamite child. It was why a number of names for Victoria were vetoed, and her first name was Alexandrina. The Prince Regent didn't think certain names were quite suitable for the possible queen.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
to be honest, in America the British RF is the only one the vast majority know or care about other than the occasional Princess Grace fan- including the media. the Swedish chef might as well be heir to the Swedish throne and lets not even talk about the Netherlands...
It may be a cultural/language matter.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Nobility

Canada is much the same, with the exception of the Dutch. Except when royals wed, or visit us, the BRF are the only ones to make the news here. Because Bea and her sisters lived in Canada during the war with their mother, and one was born here, we have a connection to the Dutch royals.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Victoria may not have been heir apparent, but they knew there was a high chance she would be queen. Charlotte was dead, and there was a rush of the remaining unmarried brothers, to marry and have a legitamite child. It was why a number of names for Victoria were vetoed, and her first name was Alexandrina. The Prince Regent didn't think certain names were quite suitable for the possible queen.
Are you sure that's why they were vetoed?

The names vetoed reportedly included Georgina, Charlotte, and Augusta - all names already seen in the BRF (well, Georgina being a female version of George), and Charlotte being the name the Prince Regent used for his own daughter.

The way I've always read that story it seems more like the Prince Regent was just being a dick and trying to have his niece given a less-royal name.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Canada is much the same, with the exception of the Dutch. Except when royals wed, or visit us, the BRF are the only ones to make the news here. Because Bea and her sisters lived in Canada during the war with their mother, and one was born here, we have a connection to the Dutch royals.
I am a teacher and I made sure the picture of the Queen is posted in my classroom. Not many of my colleagues have it though. On the other hand, many of my students were interested in England's history, and I found Youtube series related to Elisabeth l and we watched them in class. But, in reality, I fault the educational system here, as the curriculum does not include any history but Canada's and a bit of world history related to the world wars. Very spotty.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Courtier

I don't like John as a name I always think of a toilet. (I'm sorry for anyone called John blame my mother she is the one who pointed it out and insisted on calling our next door neighbour Flush) It won't surprise me if they go a little out of the box. Kate and William are supposed to be more modern and really it is about time a new name get's on the list. Some names appear to be taboo but I think the Queen will aprove as long as there are middle names he or she can use when they reign. I still like Charlotte and Alexandra for a girl. Boys names I always find difficult you want something strong and manly I like George for a boy although I do think of Mr Roper from George and Mildred. LOL The royals seem to have nicknames for each other so chances are the baby will too. I don't think Pippa has any chance of being picked as a name can you imagine the headlines? She already get's way too much attention.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie View Post
I am a teacher and I made sure the picture of the Queen is posted in my classroom. Not many of my colleagues have it though. On the other hand, many of my students were interested in England's history, and I found Youtube series related to Elisabeth l and we watched them in class. But, in reality, I fault the educational system here, as the curriculum does not include any history but Canada's and a bit of world history related to the world wars. Very spotty.
Odd, Western Canada must be different. We studied very little Canadian history. We studied a lot about the explorers, but mainly European and world history. Even in social studies, little Canadian politics, mainly world.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:33 PM
Nobility

I should add the Romanov, well Anastasia really, legend has a lot of appeal in the states and the goth/vampire sub culture will know of vlad tepesh.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Odd, Western Canada must be different. We studied very little Canadian history. We studied a lot about the explorers, but mainly European and world history. Even in social studies, little Canadian politics, mainly world.
Biiiiiig deal, much more beneficial to students, IMO. It certainly gives them a global perspective. Ontario is very conservative narrow-minded, although you wouldn't expect it.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Are you sure that's why they were vetoed?

The names vetoed reportedly included Georgina, Charlotte, and Augusta - all names already seen in the BRF (well, Georgina being a female version of George), and Charlotte being the name the Prince Regent used for his own daughter.

The way I've always read that story it seems more like the Prince Regent was just being a dick and trying to have his niece given a less-royal name.
Interestiing, as the name Alexandrina is arguaeably more royal than Georgiana is. It was in honor of her godfather Emperor Alexander I. And while perhaps not British, Victoria as well was a royal name on the continent.

The prince regent would not have expected his daughter to be queen, when she was born. Like most men, he would have expected to have a few sons to follow along the line. Augusta was a name used in lesser branches, and was foreign, which is why it is rumored she was Alexandrina Victoria and not Victoria first. Victoria unlike Charlotte, they knew at her birth, she would see the throne or a huge chance, so the choice of her name was far more serious. It's along the lines of Zara or even Eugenie, names appropriate for those removed from the throne, but not likely the heir to the throne. There was no reason to believe either Zara or Eugene would be queen when they were born, so less pressure on the name choice. Same would go for Charlotte, and holders of the name Augusta.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

In Canada education is a provincial matter, not a federal one.

In BC we study European history - primarily British - in grade 8/9, some American and Canadian history in grade 10, an devote all of grade 11 to Canadian history.

The way it works is basically chronological - a bit of ancient history, the Conquest, then go to the Protestant Reformation and the Tudors, the English Civil War, the Enlightenment and the French Revolution, the American Revolution, then Canadian history starting with a background on Aboriginals then going into early settlers, the lead up to confederation, and 20th century history from a Canadian perspective (mostly just the world wars).
Old 07-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie View Post
Biiiiiig deal, much more beneficial to students, IMO. It certainly gives them a global perspective. Ontario is very conservative narrow-minded, although you wouldn't expect it.
Actually I'd think studying the history of one's own country is Important. You can have a global perspective without ignoring one's own history. I can name more presidents of the USA, then I can Prime Minsters of Canada. I find that a bid sad.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Interestiing, as the name Alexandrina is arguaeably more royal than Georgiana is. It was in honor of her godfather Emperor Alexander I. And while perhaps not British, Victoria as well was a royal name on the continent.

The prince regent would not have expected his daughter to be queen, when she was born. Like most men, he would have expected to have a few sons to follow along the line. Augusta was a name used in lesser branches, and was foreign, which is why it is rumored she was Alexandrina Victoria and not Victoria first. Victoria unlike Charlotte, they knew at her birth, she would see the throne or a huge chance, so the choice of her name was far more serious. It's along the lines of Zara or even Eugenie, names appropriate for those removed from the throne, but not likely the heir to the throne. There was no reason to believe either Zara or Eugene would be queen when they were born, so less pressure on the name choice. Same would go for Charlotte, and holders of the name Augusta.
I wouldn't say that it was known Victoria was likely to make it to the throne when she was born. At the time her father was 4th in line - behind his three elder brothers. That she was a girl made it even less likely, as did the fact that the Duke of Clarence had had ten illegitimate children, 9 of whom survived infancy, proving himself to be rather fertile.

It seems to me to be more likely that after the Duke of Kent died without male issue and the Duke of York died they figured it was a high possibility that Victoria would be Queen. Before then her coming to the throne was somewhat of a longshot.

For the Alexandrina Victoria I think the big thing was that it wasn't a Hanoverian name. The Prince Regent wouldn't let them use any of the names in common use in the family. I googled it, and found this:

Quote:
Thus when Victoria was born, it was not known whether she would ever be Queen or not. It is clear the Prince Regent hoped she would not[...]

Soon after his daughter's birth the Duke of Kent wrote to his eldest brother, the Prince Regent, requesting the child be christened Victorie Georgina Alexandrina Charlotte Augusta. Each of the names held special, royal significance. Victorie was the name of the child's mother. Alexandrina was the female form of the name of the Russian Emperor, just as Georgina was the female form of the name of the King and Prince Regent. Charlotte and Augusta were the names of past female members of the English royal family.

The Prince Regent wrote back to his little brother to say that he could not allow the name Georgina for he would not place the name before that of the Russian Emperor, but not could he allow it to follow[...]

When the time came for the child's name to be announced, the Prince Regent announced "Alexandrina." The Duke of Kent urged that another name be added, suggesting Elizabeth. The Prince Regent refused, but said the child could also have her mother's name if it did not proceed the name of the Emperor of Russia. Thus the child was officially named Alexandrina Victoria.
http://suite101.com/article/queen-vi...stening-a37680
Old 07-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I wouldn't say that it was known Victoria was likely to make it to the throne when she was born. At the time her father was 4th in line - behind his three elder brothers. That she was a girl made it even less likely, as did the fact that the Duke of Clarence had had ten illegitimate children, 9 of whom survived infancy, proving himself to be rather fertile.

It seems to me to be more likely that after the Duke of Kent died without male issue and the Duke of York died they figured it was a high possibility that Victoria would be Queen. Before then her coming to the throne was somewhat of a longshot.

For the Alexandrina Victoria I think the big thing was that it wasn't a Hanoverian name. The Prince Regent wouldn't let them use any of the names in common use in the family. I googled it, and found this:

http://suite101.com/article/queen-vi...stening-a37680
Actually Victoria was fifth in line to the throne at birth behind her Father, Two Brothers (Including William IV and the other Prince Fredrick who died in 1827) and the Prince Regent (George IV)

1. The Prince Regent George IV
2. Prince Frederick Duke of York and Albany
3. William IV
4 Prince Edward Duke of Kent and Strathem
5. Princess Victoria