The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Nobility

Wouldn't Catherine want to name her baby son (if) after her father? Michael would be nice. Michael Edward George, for example.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie View Post
Wouldn't Catherine want to name her baby son (if) after her father? Michael would be nice. Michael Edward George, for example.
Not necessarily. Not all women want to name their children after their father - the Queen didn't name any of her sons after her father (Charles and Andrew both have some of his names in their middle names).

Anne didn't give her son her father's name, nor did Sophie. Diana (reportedly) wanted to give William her father's name but it was (allegedly) nixed due to it being "cursed" in the BRF.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Until X has a name is it really all that wrong to call it the Prince(ss) of Camridge?
Yep, because The denotes a peerage. like The Princess of Wales, The Duchess of Cambridge. Baby C does not have a peerage, so like Harry is Prince Harry of Wales not the Prince of Wales, this baby is Prince/ss X of Cambridge.

Ish I believe Earl Spencer's first name was really Edward though he went by John. I could be wrong on that.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Yep, because The denotes a peerage. like The Princess of Wales, The Duchess of Cambridge. Baby C does not have a peerage, so like Harry is Prince Harry of Wales not the Prince of Wales, this baby is Prince/ss X of Cambridge.

Ish I believe Earl Spencer's first name was really Edward though he went by John. I could be wrong on that.
I agree that there's the problem with the The, but I think as the child has yet to be born or given a name calling it the (lower case) Prince(ss) of Cambridge is just an abbreviation of the more proper Prince(ss) X of Cambridge. Until the child is born and named I don't see it as being a huge deal - if it continues after the child is born and given a name then it's wrong, but for now? Not a huge deal.

You are right, the 8th Earl Spencer's full name was Edward John Spencer. According to Wikipedia he went by "Johnnie."
Old 07-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Royal Highness

How about just "Johnnie," like we Southerners do. Lots of people have what others would call nicknames. This is not uncommon.

For example, the infamous John Edwards was named "Johnny" by his parents (or Johnny Ray - I forget which), and this is what was placed on his birth certificate. He changed it to John.

So, they could go with Charlie (or Charlie Ray), Bert, Eddie, Lizzie, Beth, Billy (named for his dad), Mike (named for the other granddad), and of course I could go on.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I agree that there's the problem with the The, but I think as the child has yet to be born or given a name calling it the (lower case) Prince(ss) of Cambridge is just an abbreviation of the more proper Prince(ss) X of Cambridge. Until the child is born and named I don't see it as being a huge deal - if it continues after the child is born and given a name then it's wrong, but for now? Not a huge deal.
The Prince(ss) of Cambridge is higher title than Prince(ss) X of Cambridge.
In fact it is higher title than the Duke of Cambridge.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
The royals in the UK don't seem to often include names from the non-royal relatives. The Mountbattans have been honored, but then again Philip's family was royal as well, though foreign. Maybe with this generation we will see a change more towards like on the continent (In Denmark both Christian and Isabella have both grandparents names, the Triple A's all have a name from their mother's family, Estelle has Ewa).

Anne: maybe since her kids have no title, did give Mark some recognition
-Peter was for a friend of Mark, and then Mark and Andrew as middle
-Zara named by Charles, Anne is also Mark's mother's name, Elizabeth

The others, some names can be found in the non-royal family branches, but likely chosen for their royalness. Harry has Charles for his dad but also a Spencer name including his Uncle. Bea has Mary which is in Sarah's family including her mother's middle name, Louise has Mary and that is Sophie's mother's name, James has Theo which is a short form of an ancestor's name.

Kate's family has a lot of royal names, so could kill both (Charlotte, Elizabeth,James, William, Constance, Anne......)
Old 07-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
The royals in the UK don't seem to often include names from the non-royal relatives. The Mountbattans have been honored, but then again Philip's family was royal.
I noticed that too, to my dismay, because the pool of royal names is very narrow and quite boring. However, given the fact that William has been seen as a more modern future monarch, I can see him breaking that little rule. After all, Michael and Charlotte are good, traditional, conservative names, nothing horrendous like Harper Seven or Blue Ivy.

My least favorite, however, would be Arthur (sounds very German) or Philip, which, although quite nice, has a certain weakness to it, probably stemming from the phonetic f.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Anne: maybe since her kids have no title, did give Mark some recognition
-Peter was for a friend of Mark, and then Mark and Andrew as middle
I believe Peter was named for his paternal grandfather, Major Peter William Garside Phillips.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I believe Peter was named for his paternal grandfather, Major Peter William Garside Phillips.
I didn't realize Mark's father's name was Peter. For some reason I remember hearing somewhere it was a family friend's name.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I noticed that too, to my dismay, because the pool of royal names is very narrow and quite boring. However, given the fact that William has been seen as a more modern future monarch, I can see him breaking that little rule. After all, Michael and Charlotte are good, traditional, conservative names, nothing horrendous like Harper Seven or Blue Ivy.

My least favorite, however, would be Arthur (sounds very German) or Philip, which, although quite nice, has a certain weakness to it, probably stemming from the phonetic f.
Arthur sounds German? Latin name, though may have links to Irish or Welsh. Beyond England, the only foreign royal by the name was Arthur of Brittany that I remember, and he was a nephew of Richard I.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Nobility

not that it is going to happen phillipa would tick every box.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
not that it is going to happen phillipa would tick every box.
Except for being a British Royal name.

While Prince Philip is a member of the BRF, his name is not a British Royal one. It's more of a German one.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Nobility

well, yes, a medieval queens and a few royals had that name.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Except for being a British Royal name.

While Prince Philip is a member of the BRF, his name is not a British Royal one. It's more of a German one.
There have been Philippa's in the BRF. And if we are going to rule out names that weren't originally British royal names, Albert and Victoria will have to be axed from the top of the list.

Philippa of Hainnault- wife of Edward III
Philippa Plantaganent- Edward III's granddaughter by his son Lionel. She is the grandmother of Anne Mortimer, who in turn was grandother of Edward IV and Richard III.
Philippa of Lancaster-daughter of John Gaunt

Philip is Greek, not German, means horse lover.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Arthur sounds German? Latin name, though may have links to Irish or Welsh. Beyond England, the only foreign royal by the name was Arthur of Brittany that I remember, and he was a nephew of Richard I.
I am biased: I have 3 German childhood friends named Arthur.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Gentry

Maybe they will bring back a really well known, old fashioned/dull name that has lost popularity for babies these days -

Jane Elizabeth Rosa
Mary Ruth Louisa
Alistair Bruce Arthur Francis
David Geoffrey Charles Michael
Old 07-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Philippa of Hainnault- wife of Edward III
Philippa Plantaganent- Edward III's granddaughter by his son Lionel. She is the grandmother of Anne Mortimer, who in turn was grandother of Edward IV and Richard III.
Philippa of Lancaster-daughter of John Gaunt.
If the baby is named Phillippa, would they call her Pippa?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Nobility

little pip? pippy? pip squeak?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
little pip? pippy? pip squeak?