The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Serene Highness

Gosh, now it could really happen that baby comes on my birthday. One of my middle names would be nice for a princess. Rowena, the Lady Rowena from Ivanhoe, a Saxon heiress to the throne. The male version, Rowen, probably would be too unusual for a prince. Didn't an archbishop of Canterbury have that? And the comedy team Rowan and Martin. July 23 is our date, kid!

Old 07-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Have we forgotten an old & currently unused royal name:
And, my favourite for a girl:

Eleanor........

We have Eleanor of Aquitaine, wife of Henry II; and their daughter Eleanor of Castile, wife of Pedro V
Eleanor of Provance, wife of Henry III
Eleanor of Castile, wife of Edward I.

For a boy:
Geoffrey.......

Geoffrey of Anjou, father of Henry II
Geoffrey of Brittany, son of Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine.

If we want new names in the current Royal Family, then there are two to choose from!!!

Larry

Old 07-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Aristocracy

Well, if you're looking to lay money down, Chardonnay has some of the longest odds at 5000/1.

Brits go on betting spree as they await Kate’s royal baby
Back'em like Beckham - Brits go on royal betting spree as they await Kate's baby - The Tell - MarketWatch

Though I bet that if you were betting all those years ago when William was born what Uni he would go to or what his future wife's name would be, you probably could have gotten pretty good longshot odds with "Kate" and "St. Andrews".
Old 07-20-2013, 04:25 PM

I heard that if its a girl she could be named Alexandra
Old 07-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
When Princess Estelle was born there was a huge uproar about her name, too. People said Estelle wasn't a name fit for a queen. (and Victoria and Daniel are normal names, as well.) But now, everyone has gotten used to it. So, I wouldn't rule anything out.
Daniel being born a commoner, one would not expect him to have a royal name. Victoria is not a normal/common name. She was named for her two great-grandmothers, both queens, Victoria of Baden and Queen Vic.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8

Oh, ITA it is more of a middle name suggestion for the Cambridges, but Kate was close to him and I understand he and William also had a close bond form over the years. So if we do have a Baby Prince arrive in the coming days, I think it would be a lovely tribute if the name Peter was in the mix. :)
I agree, that would be a nice tribute. I didn't know that William was close to him as well. Apart from Peter Philips, there isn't another royal who has Peter as their name/middle name. It would be very nice IMO if Peter made an appearance in Baby Cambridge's names.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my TRF group about British Royal Children!
Old 07-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
Clarissa was also one of the Queen Mums middle names that is nice too.
The Queen Mother was "Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon". No sign of Clarissa in that.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:46 PM
Serene Highness

I've been reading again in medieval history of the Stuarts, who came from Brittany to England and thence, some of them, to Scotland (some stayed in England, some in France). A few names prominent in the early days of the family were Alan, Walter, Aveline, Jordan. "Jordan" sounds so modern! "Alan" sounds so modern! For a while they alternated generations with Alan and Walter. This was before the Charles and James names become prominent.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
I've been reading again in medieval history of the Stuarts, who came from Brittany to England and thence, some of them, to Scotland (some stayed in England, some in France). A few names prominent in the early days of the family were Alan, Walter, Aveline, Jordan. "Jordan" sounds so modern! "Alan" sounds so modern! For a while they alternated generations with Alan and Walter. This was before the Charles and James names become prominent.
The Walters and Alans were all before the Stewarts/Stuarts became royal though. Robert II, the first Stewart monarch, was the son of a Walter Stewart and Marjorie Bruce, who was the daughter of Robert the Bruce. His son was the first James.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I agree, that would be a nice tribute. I didn't know that William was close to him as well. Apart from Peter Philips, there isn't another royal who has Peter as their name/middle name. It would be very nice IMO if Peter made an appearance in Baby Cambridge's names.
All the more likely its not to be. Peter is not some obscure royal name. Peter Philipps was named for a friend of his commoner father. Until him, Peter has no royal tradition in the UK, why no one else has it as a middle name.

I think it would be interesting, if the baby is born tomorrow, if they honored the Belgians. Either in name, or even though they don't have much contact, chose either Philippe or Mathilde as a godparent.

Prince Albert Michael Charles Philip- Albert and Philip would both honor the current and soon to be king of Belgium, but also Victori'as husband and the DOE, and of course the two grandpas are included.

Princess Mathilda Elizabeth Frances Caroline- Mathilda as a form of Mathilde, but also a British royal name. Elizabeth, Frances and Caroline for the queen and two grandmas, but Elizabeth also a form of the soon to be new Duchess of Brabant's name.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Serene Highness

Countessmeout, I wondered how the Belgians pronounced Mathilde's name, and last night I heard a clip of Phillipe pronouncing it just as we would, Matilda. It was a clip of their wedding, she was very lovely--it was on a thread here at TRF.

Yes, Ish, I know that the Walters and Alans were before the election of one of them as king. There were six "stewards", one after the other. Robert became king.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Countessmeout, I wondered how the Belgians pronounced Mathilde's name, and last night I heard a clip of Phillipe pronouncing it just as we would, Matilda. It was a clip of their wedding, she was very lovely--it was on a thread here at TRF.

Yes, Ish, I know that the Walters and Alans were before the *election* of one of them as king. There were six "stewards", one after the other. Robert became king.
By election, do you mean to say that Robert II gained the throne through anything other than primogeniture? While the early Scottish monarchs (and English monarchs for that matter) were elected into their position, all Scottish monarchs after David I gained their position through primogeniture, with the possible exception of John Balliol and Robert the Bruce, who each based their claim to the throne through primogeniture but had to be supported through other means (Balliol through Edward of England and the Bruce through conquest).

Robert II became king not because his father was the High Stewart of Scotland, but rather because his mother was the daughter of the Bruce, and his uncle, David II, died without children leaving Robert as the heir.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:06 AM
Nobility

George Michael has a nice ring to it
Old 07-21-2013, 01:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
George Michael has a nice ring to it
As long as he never sings "I Want Your Sex"....
Old 07-21-2013, 01:25 AM
Royal Highness

I like John Paul George Richard.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Not sure if Lennon would appreciate it
Old 07-21-2013, 01:30 AM
Nobility

exactly... I mean those are all perfectly royal names and british icons to boot? that would be cool, lol
Old 07-21-2013, 01:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Not sure if Lennon would appreciate it
Lennon ain't here.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post

Lennon ain't here.
Ah, but he continues to haunt us...

Oh, wait, no. That's Yoko Ono.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Ah, but he continues to haunt us...

Oh, wait, no. That's Yoko Ono.
And she'll be sure to weigh in on this, should Baby be named after John.