The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Charles and Diana's family had names in common. While the names chosen for Will were royal, they had a personal level, at least two. William was not chosen for the previous kings, but to honor his father's late cousin, Prince William of Gloucester, the older brother of the current Duke...

Middleton names that are also royal:
Francis- Michael's middle name and Diana's middle name

Peter, her grandfather everyone mentions, also has the middle name Francis. Use of the name could honor Diana, Michael and both their families.
I've never read that Charles or Diana ever indicated that William was named after Queen Elizabeth's first cousin, William of Gloucester. When William was born, Charles said that his name was chosen because no one in the current royal family had that name.

Francis- Michael's middle name
Frances- Diana's middle name
---------------------------------

Old 07-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
I saw on TV that the bettors are placing James as first in the list. We have thought they would not have another James so close in age, with Edward and Sophie's James but it could be. The top name for a girl is still Alexandra. I am betting Alice or Mary.
It bothers me that the press keep saying James is top spot as they do not do their research. There is already a young boy named James in the family very close in age to this baby, so they will not use the name. If they do I would be very shocked! People normally say, "I can't believe the Queen let Edward use James for his son's name." They are lots of other Royal names future heirs could use. Little James isn't that well known of course, so a lot of the press and bookies do not know of his existence research, man, research!

As for godparents, I am still rooting for Sophie to be chosen. She supposedly helped Catherine when she joined the family so it would be a nice thing to do. She also had Louise as a bridesmaid at her wedding, which was a lovely thing to do, so having Sophie as a godmother would be nice.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post

I've never read that Charles or Diana ever indicated that William was named after Queen Elizabeth's first cousin, William of Gloucester. When William was born, Charles said that his name was chosen because no one in the current royal family had that name.

It's on William's Wikipedia page that he was named for William of Gloucester, but there's no source.

It's one of those many things "known" about the royals but not verified.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Aristocracy

People are always saying that the name John is taboo in the RF and that the Queen refused to allow Diana to call her son John. Yet if the Queen is really so superstitious (which I don't believe) then it seems odd to allow the name of another prince who died prematurely in the relatively recent past.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Royal Highness

When I hear "Prince John", I immediately think of Disney's Robin Hood ("Too late to be known as John the First, he's sure to be known as John the Worst!")

Old 07-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
People are always saying that the name John is taboo in the RF and that the Queen refused to allow Diana to call her son John. Yet if the Queen is really so superstitious (which I don't believe) then it seems odd to allow the name of another prince who died prematurely in the relatively recent past.
Like you, I don't believe the Queen is superstitious. I've read many biographical pieces about her, and it doesn't seem to fit her character.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Aristocracy

Do you think she would discourage them from a Prince Albert?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post

Francis/Frances are the same name, just the male/female variant. So giving a boy Francis or a girl Frances, would be an honor to both.

The story of Will being named for him, has been repeated by numerous sources, though not sure Charles ever confirmed it.

The other Prince William: The uncanny parallels between Wills and the dashing but doomed cousin in whose memory he was named | Mail Online
Old 07-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Serene Highness

Frideswide, Prince John died of a medical condition, while Prince William of Gloucester died in a plane accident. Prince William of Gloucester had a hereditary illness which can often be controlled, with modern knowledge, and especially because he was diagnosed young, (in his twenties) before he had considerable neurological damage from the disease being uncontrolled. That said, I would certainly think using the name John should not be taboo. Whatever Prince John had, it is no longer a "family shame" thing. Apparently he had many seizures which worsened as time passed. Today people think of that with compassion, not blaming him for having this burden.
Prince William of Gloucester probably would have lived a good rest of his life. I do think it's too bad they didn't give him permission to marry the "love of his life" who was divorced with children. Having a built-in family would be a good thing for a person with Porphyria who didn't want to "pass it on." Anyway, his brother Richard of Gloucester seems to be hale, hearty and admirable and has carried on the title. I love this family.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Serene Highness

If a girl, Elizabeth will be the second name.

If a boy, Philip will be the second name.

(Just trying to pass the time here...)
Old 07-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Frideswide, Prince John died of a medical condition, while Prince William of Gloucester died in a plane accident...
Yes, both died prematurely, which is why I don't understand why people insist that only John is an unlucky name. Neither should be regarded as unlucky, you can find black sheep and bad ends to match any name.

I am of course too young to remember anything of Prince John, but I do remember Prince William of Gloucester as my mother was rather smitten with him and I recall how upset she was when he was killed. I'm afraid that back then I only had the vaguest idea of who he was.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Serene Highness

It would be great if they rehabilitate the name John.

I wish they would name her Alice if she's a girl, but I do not think they will.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:32 PM

What about Charlotte?
I don't know much about her but Princess Charlotte of Wales was the heir to the throne and she died at a young age and I can't remember any princess with the first name Charlotte in the immediate royal family. I have a feeling that the royals have their names "superstitions" (like John)
Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Frideswide, Prince John died of a medical condition, while Prince William of Gloucester died in a plane accident. Prince William of Gloucester had a hereditary illness which can often be controlled, with modern knowledge, and especially because he was diagnosed young, (in his twenties) before he had considerable neurological damage from the disease being uncontrolled. That said, I would certainly think using the name John should not be taboo. Whatever Prince John had, it is no longer a "family shame" thing. Apparently he had many seizures which worsened as time passed. Today people think of that with compassion, not blaming him for having this burden.
Prince William of Gloucester probably would have lived a good rest of his life. I do think it's too bad they didn't give him permission to marry the "love of his life" who was divorced with children. Having a built-in family would be a good thing for a person with Porphyria who didn't want to "pass it on." Anyway, his brother Richard of Gloucester seems to be hale, hearty and admirable and has carried on the title. I love this family.
Because its not just the one John in the family. There was also Alexander John, Edward VII's son who died shortly after birth. Diana also had a brother named John who died less then a day after birth.

There are of course Johns who reached adulthood, but the last of which was the uncle of Henry VI, the Duke of Bedford (first husband of Jacquetta, mother of Elizabeth Woodville). But John of Gaunt, was an ancestor to the Tudor dynasty.

But then there is of course King John and the whole Magna Carta. But if we are going to rule out names by ruling out names held by bad kings, things like Edward, Richard, Henry, and so on should be ruled out as well.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by leticia.h View Post
What about Charlotte?
I don't know much about her but Princess Charlotte of Wales was the heir to the throne and she died at a young age and I can't remember any princess with the first name Charlotte in the immediate royal family. I have a feeling that the royals have their names "superstitions" (like John)
Not royal, but William has a new little cousin, Charlotte Spencer.

The Duke of Kent's granddaughter is Marina Charlotte.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Serene Highness

princess Charlotte was George Vi only legitimate child was very popular unlike the rest of the royals of time. She died in childbirth along with the baby which paved the way for the reign of Victoria.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leticia.h View Post
What about Charlotte?
Yet the Queen didn't flinch from naming her son and heir Charles - the name of a king who was executed. And one might think she would have avoided Edward too, given the issues surrounding the last king of that name.

If there's anyone who's superstitious about names, I doubt it's the Queen.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Serene Highness

Countessmeout, that's one reason I hope they will choose a less-used name. The big gun names have belonged to terrible people as well as good people, with Edward, Richard, and Henry belonging to some terrible people. Edward I particularly galls me because of his determination to practically exterminate Scottish culture, in his unceasing will to dominate that country completely--and he destroyed abbeys willy nilly in the process, had no respect even for monks and nuns. And yet we have Prince Edward of Wessex who is absolutely nothing like Edward I, and is now among the more respected royals, along with his wife Sophie.
Yet it would be good to have some fresh names without historical baggage. Peter could be one, David could be one, Alexander might be one (not sure about baggage with Alexander. Alexander the Great, remember him? He was the scourge of the known world of the Eastern Mediterranean).
Among the women, my history is limp. Who was admirable, who not so much? Seems that in modern times the "Alices" have been not only admirable but sometimes interesting characters like Phillip's mother. Can't say about medieval Alices's, don't know of any right off the top of my head. If we consider the past Mary's, Henry VIII's daughter Mary was one of the worst queens in history, in terms of people persecuted and executed by fire. Bad job, Mary. But that should not stop the use of Mary in modern times.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 PM

Yes, you are right. I forgot about Charles
Old 07-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Nobility

Alexander the Great should play little role in a decision for a British prince.

The name features prominently in the Mountbattan family. Philip's maternal grandfather was Prince Louis Alexander Mountbattan, 1st Marquess of Milford Haven. Louis' father was Prince Alexander of Hesse and Rhine. His brother Henry had a son Alexander, Marquess of Carisbrooke. In recent generations it has been used mainly as a middle name. Lord Ivar Mountbattan has it as a middle name, and his eldest daughter is Alexandra (Ivar's father David and Philip were first cousins, Alice and George were sister and brother).

Other than that we have Edward VII's son Alexander John mentioned above. And those who have carried it as a middle name include Prince Alfred, the eldest son of Queen Victoria's son Alfred. As well Prince George, Duke of Kent, and the current Duke of Gloucester. The Duke's eldest son is Alexander and his heir is Xan.

We also have Princess Alexandra, which is a feminine version of the name.
I think Alexandra more likely IMO.

Female names:

Margrat: Queen's sister and also Queen Margrat of Scotland, a Saint
Mary: yes there is Bloody Mary, but there is also Queen Mary of Teck who was known for her work in both world wars in the hospitals, prosperity drives and helping the war movement.
Alexandra: well loved for her charity work, raising money for hospitals, and a nursing corps was founded in her name
Alice: both Vic's daughter and Philip's mother have been mentioned

If we really wanted to go for a royal name without a reputation one way or another, we could look at names rarely used, and little is known.

Bridget: daughter of Edward IV, was a nun
Cecilia: another nun, daughter of William I