The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Gentry

I think if, as reported, W & C haven't decided on a name yet, then that would rule out Elizabeth as a first name. I would think they would already have made the decision to call the baby Elizabeth, and not still be mulling it over. That doesn't mean, of course, that they could still be planning on Elizabeth as a middle name.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I sincerely hope that they don't give the child Elizabeth as a first name. It would be too much of a burden to impose on her, in my opinion. Two long-reigning and significant queens named Elizabeth is enough, I think. There would be comparisons all her life. Give her a name of her own, to make her own. And I think it's time for a change from George, too.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Nobility

Love Alexander and Alexandra
Old 07-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonelikeyou View Post
I think if, as reported, W & C haven't decided on a name yet, then that would rule out Elizabeth as a first name. I would think they would already have made the decision to call the baby Elizabeth, and not still be mulling it over. That doesn't mean, of course, that they could still be planning on Elizabeth as a middle name.
"as reported"
I doubt they'd divulge anything to anyone who was likely to go blabbing to the media.

Very likely, as with many expectant parents, they have names lined up but are waiting until they meet their son or daughter before making a final decision.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:05 PM
Commoner

I'm predicting July 22nd for the birth of HRH Prince Arthur William Charles Phillip or HRH Princess Mary Alexandra Rose.

Think it will be a Princess.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Nobility

I think at least one Middleton name will sneak in, and a little girl likely will have 4 names as well.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Still praying for a Prince.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Serene Highness

since we are still saying what names we fancy, again I would like to see Catherine's grandfather honored (and a living member of the RF, Peter Phillips, who can be a godfather). Then three other godfathers who could be there at the christening: Alexander,
(heir of the Gloucsters), Prince Edward of Wessex, and for the fourth either David (with Margaret's son present) or George (heir of the Kents) or Prince Henry. The Middletons would be honored by the name of Kate's grandfather Peter, who served in the RAF with Prince Phillip, if I remember correctly.
I saw on TV that the bettors are placing James as first in the list. We have thought they would not have another James so close in age, with Edward and Sophie's James but it could be. The top name for a girl is still Alexandra. I am betting Alice or Mary.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Nobility

Peter and Alexander Windsor are pretty slim chances for the first born as godfathers IMO. I think if a boy, likely 3 godfathers and 2 godmothers, or other way for girl.

sure bets: Pippa and Harry
serious possibilities: Pavlos (Will godfather to his son), Hugh (Will godfather to his daughter and she was in wedding), Sophie (if they decide to go for an older generation as some speculated), Bea or Eugenie if not Sophie

See if a boy maybe Harry, Hugh, Pavlos, Pippa and Bea
if a girl Harry, Hugh, Pippa, Bea and Sophie/Marie-Chantal/Rose or Tamara Van Cutsem

Perhaps they'd go the root of the Dutch, and include the name of one godparent

Prince Arthur Michael Charles Henry- Henry for godfather Harry

Princess Alexandra Francis Elizabeth Charlotte-Charlotte for Pippa's middle name
Old 07-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I sincerely hope that they don't give the child Elizabeth as a first name. It would be too much of a burden to impose on her, in my opinion. Two long-reigning and significant queens named Elizabeth is enough, I think. There would be comparisons all her life. Give her a name of her own, to make her own. And I think it's time for a change from George, too.
Well said Well said!!!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post

I like the name Peter, but I think it would be a middle name rather than a first name if it were to feature. George William Francis Peter sounds quite nice.

For a Princess, I think Victoria, Elizabeth, Mary and Alexandra are likely choices for a first name. I can see Diana, Caroline and Charlotte featuring as middle names. Or perhaps some of the Hanoverian names such as Sophia, Adelaide and Amelia. For a Prince, I think George is the most likely choice. Arthur could also be a possibility. I can see William, Henry, Philip, Michael, Francis (and possibly) Louis feature as middle names.
Oh, ITA it is more of a middle name suggestion for the Cambridges, but Kate was close to him and I understand he and William also had a close bond form over the years. So if we do have a Baby Prince arrive in the coming days, I think it would be a lovely tribute if the name Peter was in the mix. :)
Old 07-19-2013, 12:18 AM
Serene Highness

I thought of Alexander Windsor as a godfather to honor the Gloucesters, who have been holding up their end of the royal duties for generations. Perhaps Richard Duke of Gloucester is too old to be a godfather, but his son is not. Nor his daughters Rose and Davina. When I suggested Peter I was thinking primarily of Catherine's grandfather, but Peter Phillips is Anne's son and that would honor Anne, who as I recall was left out of the godparentings
of Will and Harry. And he's a good age for a godfather, and a family man.

For a girl baby I would go over the prospective names and their attachments to living people, too. Let's see. Alice, with a grandaughter of Alice of Gloucestor as godmother, Sophia for the Countess of Wessex as godmother, Phillipa or Caroline for the Middletons, Diana or Frances with a Spencer aunt or cousin of William. Just an idea...there could be other important women who could be godmothers, including Zara for Princess Anne, or Rose van Cutsem, whose name is also traditional in the RF.
There is Lady Amelia, the teen aged grandaughter of the Duke of Kent, if someone wanted to produce a living Royal descendant called Amelia, and she is old enough to be a godmother, I believe. Just pairing names with godmothers, seems like a traditional thing to do which hasn't been practiced a lot lately.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I think at least one Middleton name will sneak in, and a little girl likely will have 4 names as well.
I think you are right.. I really think Caroline as one of the names for a girl... Not sure about a boy.

William is very close to the Middleton family. In y opinion, that is what "sealed the deal" on the marriage. I can see him wanting to honor them as much as Catheine.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Serene Highness

Elizabeth and Francis(Frances) are names that hit both sides of W&K families.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Commoner

For some reason I thought the heir would have names from the BRF and that the spare would be given names to honor the Middletons. We shall soon see!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberdana View Post
For some reason I thought the heir would have names from the BRF and that the spare would be given names to honor the Middletons. We shall soon see!
If its a girl, it is pretty much a lock that Elizabeth will be one of the names, which is besides the obvious is Kate's middle name. Why shouldn't Kate side be included for this baby. It's her child too. She is the one who spent December throwing up and she is the one who has to push it out. Wills just was involved in the fun part of the baby process.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Commoner

Having had two children I certainly understand that Kate deserves to have some names too. However it is not that uncommon to honor families with different children. It was just a hunch that I had and I could be completely wrong. Did either William or Harry get names from Diana's side?
Old 07-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Having had two children I certainly understand that Kate deserves to have some names too. However it is not that uncommon to honor families with different children. It was just a hunch that I had and I could be completely wrong. Did either William or Harry get names from Diana's side?
William is William Arthur Philip Louis; William is a monarchical name (and commonly believed to have also come from Prince William of Gloucester), Arthur is one of Charles' middle names, Philip is the DoE's only name, and Louis comes from Lord Mountbatten.

Harry is Henry Charles Albert David; Henry is a monarchical name, Charles for his father, Albert is the first name of both Charles and Diana's paternal grandfathers, and David is the patron saint of Wales.

Charles has one name from his non-royal side of the family; he's Charles Philip Arthur George. Charles being the monarchical name, Arthur I believe in reference to King Arthur, Philip for his father, and George for his grandmother.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
William is William Arthur Philip Louis; William is a monarchical name (and commonly believed to have also come from Prince William of Gloucester), Arthur is one of Charles' middle names, Philip is the DoE's only name, and Louis comes from Lord Mountbatten.

Harry is Henry Charles Albert David; Henry is a monarchical name, Charles for his father, Albert is the first name of both Charles and Diana's paternal grandfathers, and David is the patron saint of Wales.

Charles has one name from his non-royal side of the family; he's Charles Philip Arthur George. Charles being the monarchical name, Arthur I believe in reference to King Arthur, Philip for his father, and George for his grandmother.
Charles is also a long-standing name in the Spencer family with no fewer than five Dukes of Marlborough, Earls of Sunderland, and Earls Spencer carrying it as their first name. As for "Arthur" one of The Queen's godfathers was Prince Arthur Duke of Connaught (who was named after the 1st Duke of Wellington) and of course, George VI was christened "Albert Frederick Arthur George" and The Prince of Wales is "Charles Philip Arthur George".
Old 07-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Like Kate and Will, Charles and Diana's family had names in common.

While the names chosen for Will were royal, they had a personal level, at least two. William was not chosen for the previous kings, but to honor his father's late cousin, Prince William of Gloucester, the older brother of the current Duke. Louis of course honored Charles' beloved Uncle Louis, who was a mentor to him.

Middleton names that are also royal:
Elizabeth-for both Kate and her mother's middle name, and Carole's grandmother and great grandmother's first names
Caroline-form of Carol, also the feminine of Charles in Latin
Philippa- both for Philip and Philippa of Lancaster
Charlotte- Pippa's middle name
Francis- Michael's middle name and Diana's middle name
James- her brother
William-James's middle name as well as Will

Peter, her grandfather everyone mentions, also has the middle name Francis. Use of the name could honor Diana, Michael and both their families.