The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have a feeling they'll go with George if they have a boy, as it's the only male Monarchial name not in current use in the RF.

(I hope not since I don't care for it, but anything is better than Albert, imo. Anyway, Albert is not a monarchial name.)

I'd love to see them choose Stephen; he may not have been a popular king, but every name has negative connotations.

For a girl I really think they'll go with Elizabeth, just a feeling.

(The only queen regnant names are Elizabeth, Mary, Jane, and Anne. Anne is in use, but what about Jane? She'd be Jane II).

Old 12-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Serene Highness

I too believe Elizabeth needs a "rest". It's a beautiful name but I would choose something less currently occupied. I would not like George unless it appears as the female form, Georgiana or Georgina. The last "Lady of Rothes" from Scotland in the 20th century was Georgiana Maxwell, as that line allowed females to hold the title, begun in the 12th century, if there was no male heir. My "aunt" in the 12th century, Muriel de Pollock, was the first "Lady of Rothes". Her daughter Eva (also an only daughter) was the second Lady of Rothes. The third Lady of Rothes has no recorded name since she was absorbed into the Leslie family with her marriage to Sir Norman de Leslyn--I got this information confirmed by Barrie Leslie, current holder of the title for the Oz branch of the family. Just an irrelevant aside here.

Thus Georgiana has Scottish background as well as English.

I would love to see a middle name Cristabel after Princess Alice. It's a magical name, calling up Sugarplum fairies, although the baby won't be born at Christmas time, as was Alice.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
(The only queen regnant names are Elizabeth, Mary, Jane, and Anne. Anne is in use, but what about Jane? She'd be Jane II).
You forgot Victoria. I suspect Victoria is very high on the list of potential girls' names.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Royal Highness

My favourite girl names would be Alice,Anne or Mary as first name but around the time the Princess is getting 30 there will probably be a Queen Mary of Denmark & a Queen Victoria of Sweden.Anne is already used for the Princess Royal but Alice is still "free" and would be something fresh but not too unconventional for a reigning monarch (and too short for the tabloids to turn it into a silly nickname).

Jane would remind me of poor Jane Seymour who died shortly after giving birth to a male heir and somehow the name doesn´t sound very regal in my ears,but that´s just my impression.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Aristocracy

For girls, I do love Charlotte, but Elizabeth would be a nice tribute. Anne would also be great, but I'm not a fan of Mary or Jane because their reigns were not great ones. I would like the name Diana to be saved as a first name (if it were to be used as a first name) for Harry's use (should he marry and have a daughter). I think a daughter of Harry's would have a lot less pressure with that name than a daughter of William. If it were the third or fourth name for one of William's daughter, that would be nice.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Royal Highness

Charlotte is a very beautiful name but I´m afraid it would be turned into "Charlie" just like Jacqueline Kennedy was turned into "Jackie" or Catherine into "Kate",I have even seen someone refering to Charlotte from Monaco as "Char" (!)
Officially she would still be Princess Charlotte but everyone would use an ugly distortion of her name...
Old 12-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Courtier

Alexandra would be a nice name and it is also the Queen's middle name.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:41 PM

Spencer is a strong name for a boy/man and would be a delightful way to honor Princess Diana and be a "modern-day" name. Amelia I can see with Queen in front of it. But, in the final reckoning, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will make their choices known.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Heir Apparent

ROFLMAO at the idea of King Spencer. Sorry but that is just too too funny an idea.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Royal Highness

I love this name for a boy:

Prince George Michael Spencer Charles
Old 12-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Aristocracy

For a girl I'd love her to be called Caroline, Alexandra or Alice with Diana, Victoria, Helena, Elizabeth, Sarah as her middle names

For a boy I'm sure there's by a Henry, Phillip or George somewhere.

As far as God parents go Prince Harry for sure. I think James Middleton would be one too. I hope one of the Spencer aunts is chosen and one of his cousins - Beatice or Eugenie
Old 12-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Girl-
Mary
Old 12-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
I love this name for a boy:

Prince George Michael Spencer Charles
After 'George Michael' the singer
Old 12-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Courtier

Eleanor for a girl. The symbolism would be great.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Nobility

I believe the most likely first names are George for a boy and Victoria (or Mary) for a girl. They can't go wrong with "George VII" and "Victoria II" (or "Mary III").

However, I would personally like to see Scotland honoured a bit more. We've seen four British monarchs who took regnal ordinals after English kings. Thus, it would be cool to see a king called "Alexander IV", "Robert IV" or "David III" or a queen called "Margaret II". "Prince David of Cambridge" sounds particularly good to my ears but I could be wrong. That said, I still think "George" and "Victoria" are most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
There are a few names I think we can safely rule out.
I agree and for the same reason I doubt they'd name a daughter Charlotte (the name of George IV's ill-fated daughter who was expected to succeed but was never Princess of Wales) or a son Philip (the English king who led an armada against his former kingdom). Though I do like how "Philip II of the United Kingdom" sounds, I don't think it's happening. Jane is also an extremely unlikely first name - no British princess has been named Jane (or Joan or Joanna or any variation thereof) since a certain Lady Jane Grey claimed to be queen contrary to acts of Parliament and ended up having her head chopped off.

I don't think they'll care if there are already an Elisabeth and a Victoria waiting to ascend European thrones - the BRF hasn't cared much about what other royal families do for some time now, and I can't blame them.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Royal Highness

just asking (and a bit too lazy), are there more girls names with royal history in the past??? Elizabeth, Jane, Mary, Anne and Victoria were Queen Regnants but what about other famous women in the past history? William&Catherine might look behind the medieval times to search for a beautiful name.
i remenber that Frederik&Mary searched for the name of Isabella through history and found it beautiful and with historical ties.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
just asking (and a bit too lazy), are there more girls names with royal history in the past??? Elizabeth, Jane, Mary, Anne and Victoria were Queen Regnants but what about other famous women in the past history? William&Catherine might look behind the medieval times to search for a beautiful name.
i remenber that Frederik&Mary searched for the name of Isabella through history and found it beautiful and with historical ties.
Just a few consorts of Kings from before Queen Victoria's time were Adelaide, Charlotte, Caroline and Sophia.

During the War of the Roses their was a spouse named Cecily which is pretty and prior to that going way back their were royal spouses named Matilda, Emma, Margaret, Edith, Eleonor and Isabel.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Serene Highness

I'd go with William for a boy and Alice or Eleanor for a girl.

King William VI has a nice ring to it and Queen Alice is the best possible new addition to the names of British monarchs that I could imagine. Oh, my, that would make my year.

But Queen Eleanor is very queenly sounding and reaches so far back through history. A revival of that lovely name is much in order.

George is just so old-fashioned. Diana and Charles named their boys well, William and Harry are great names.

Henry/Harry is another option, it all depends on the couple's thinking about naming their child after someone living, and if so, who.

I will not be surprised at all if a boy is named Philip.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
There are plenty of beautiful names with strong royal connections.

Names of English, Scottish and British Queens Regnant (in alphabetical order):
- Anne (Queen Anne)
- Elizabeth (Elizabeth I and Elizabeth II)
- Jane (Lady Jane Grey)
- Margaret (Maid of Norway)
- Mary (Queen of Scots, Mary I and Mary II)
- Matilda (Empress Matilda)
- Victoria (Queen Victoria)

Names of English, Scottish and British Queens Consort (in alphabetical order):
- Adelaide (of Saxe-Meiningen)
- Adeliza (of Louvain)
- Alexandra (of Denmark)
- Anabella (Drummond)
- Berengaria (of Navarre)
- Caroline (Caroline of Brandenburg-Ansbach, Caroline of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel)
- Catherine (Catherine of Valois, Catherine of Aragon, Catherine Howard, Catherine Parr, Catherine of Braganza)
- Charlotte (of Mecklenburg-Strelitz)
- Edith (of Wessex)
- Eleanor (Eleanor of Aquitaine, Eleanor of Provence, Eleanor of Castile)
- Emma (of Normandy)
- Eupehemia (de Ross)
- Henrietta Maria (of France)
- Isabella (Isabella of Angouleme, Isabella of Valois)
- Joan (Joan of England, Joan of the Tower, Joan Beaufort)
- Madeleine (of Valois)
- Maud (of Northumbria)
- Philippa (of Hainault)
- Sybilla (of Normandy)
- Yolande (de Dreux)

Names of English, Scottish or British Princesses (in alphabetical order):
- Adela (of Normandy)
- Agatha (of Normandy)
- Alexandrina (Queen Victoria's first name)
- Alice (Alice of the United Kingdom, Alice Montagu-Douglas-Scott, Alice of Albany)
- Amelia (Amelia of Hanover, Amelia of the United Kingdom)
- Augusta (Augusta of Saxe-Gotha, Augusta of of Hesse-Kassel, Augusta of Great Britain, Augusta of Cambridge)
- Beatrice (Beatrice of England, Beatrice of the United Kingdom, Beatrice of Edinburgh)
- Blanche (Blanche of England, Blanche of the Tower)
- Bridget (of York)
- Cecilia (Cecilia of Normandy, Cecily of York)
- Constance (of Normandy)
- Frederica (Frederica of Prussia, Frederica of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Frederica of Hanover, Frederica of Hanover and Brunswick-Luneburg)
- Gytha (of Wessex)
- Helena (Helena of the United Kingdom, Helena of Waldeck)
- Juliana (of England)
- Louise (Louise of Prussia, Louise of Great Britain, Louise, Queen of Denmark, Louise, Duchess of Argyll, Louise of Wales)
- Maria (Maria Walpole, Marie of Saxe-Altenburg, Grand Duchess Maria of Russia, Marie of Hanover, Marie of Edinburgh)
- Marjorie (Marjorie of Scotland, Marjorie Bruce)
- Olga (of Hanover and Cumberland)
- Patricia (of Connaught)
- Sophia (Sophia of England, Sophia of Hanover, Sophia of Gloucester)
- Thyra (of Denmark)
Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Nobility

A girl would most likely be named after a previous queen regnant, but Matilda and Jane are certainly off limits. They wouldn't want to name a future monarch after either of them, especially not after Lady Jane Grey whose monarchical status is strongly disputed. A "Jane II" would imply that Lady Jane Grey was indeed a queen regnant and would downplay the importance of the Parliament.

Thus, we're left with Elizabeth, Victoria, Anne, Mary and Margaret as the most suitable first names for a female firstborn.