The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Nobility

If you don't like Vicky, call the baby Victoria if that is their name. Liking or not liking a name is personal. Now if you hate the person, because of their name, then that is a problem.

Yes Queen Vic's daughter was called Vicky. Many of those named Victoria while she was alive, either went by their middle name, or a nickname. Edward VII's daughter Victoria went by Toria. Victoria Eugenie was often called Ena, the last of her middle names.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslewis View Post
I'm sure they have a "short list" of both boy and girl names but waiting to name a royal heir is not unusual. We did not know William's name until a week after he was born. Same with Harry. I also think it was the same with Charles. So, even after this babe is born we will still have some frenzy about the name.
Actually, Harry's names were announced the day after he was born - the day the family left the hospital for Kensington Palace.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post

There's a difference between people not liking the name, and people insulting you as a person. The latter never happened. My name is Elizabeth Alexandra, and over the years I've had more than a few people tell me the names together make me sound pretentious. Forget the fact that I didn't choose my names, my parents did.

All some people have said is that they don't like the nickname "Vicki/Vicky." I don't like that particular nickname either, because when I hear "Vicky", I think of words that rhyme with it like sicky and icky, and therefore if I know someone named Victoria, I just call them Victoria. That doesn't mean I hate people named Vicky or that I would make fun of them or call them names or otherwise be rude to them.

I think you're taking this a bit too seriously. Everyone has likes and dislikes when it comes to names.
I actually never said that anyone disparaged people, just the name-but please understand that it is hurtful when someone points out all the faults with your name. Sorry if this seems sensitive.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

There's kind of two sides to this discussion.

On the one hand, names are largely one of those subjective things. No name is horrible (except for maybe North West), each one is just a name that some people will like and others won't. It's like food - you might like the sound or look or meaning behind it, or you might not.

On the other hand, it really does suck to hear a lot of people say how much they hate your name, even if it's not directed at you. For a lot of people, our names are part of our identity. We are our names, and to be told that someone hates it - whatever it is and whatever reason they have for it - can hurt.

We should remember when commenting on names we dislike that someone has that as a name and part of their identity - and that someone might be reading your comments. At the same time, when hearing someone critique a name that happens to be yours, we should remember that it's not a critique addressed to you and chances are whoever's making said critique doesn't realize it's your name.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:13 AM
Courtier

Since the majority of us don't use our real names shock my names not really Meadow then chances are we will hit on a few peoples real names. My name has been mocked and disparaged but I'm not making an issue out of it because I understand it's not directed at me personally. I've also had so much other stuff thrown at me in life people not liking my name just isn't important.
William and Catherine may surprise us with a more unusual first name but I would love a little Elizabeth who I would call Elizabeth because I have never been a fan of Liz or Betty and I do think Alexandra is very regal sounding. I wonder if they will say a nickname if they plan to go that route? You know like Harry is Prince Henry but it was made known from day 1 he would be known as Prince Harry? i think they probably have a short list and like most parents are waiting until the baby is born to decide. You might think this is funny but sometimes I see names as being better on blondes and some more suited to Brunettes. Like Melody is blonde sounding name to me etc.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
Since the majority of us don't use our real names shock my names not really Meadow.
what do you mean you name isn't really Meadow???

Old 07-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Aristocracy

I could care less if you made fun of my name as long as you spell it right. I haven't seen my name (real name) mentioned. Which is Michele but I can't see the Royal family using it.

Names: Elizabeth Diana Carole Alexandra
Philip Charles Arthur George. ( I want to put Henry in there but it doesn't sound right in my head.

For GodParents I say
Prince Harry
PIppa
Zara
I could see Eugenie or Beatrice there but I wouldn't hedge my bets on it.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Serene Highness

My name, Mariel, is what I use as my screen name here. It is sufficiently unusual that I have met, in person, only one other Mariel in my life, when I was in college. The other Mariel was nicknamed Mel. I'm glad I have never been Mel. I have been Maire, so-called by Irish or Irish-loving relatives. I do not care a whole lot for my name but it's handy to be able to sign only one name and have most people know who it is. Even though I like my last name a lot (my married name) and am so glad I got it.

I presume the royal Cambridges will not use a name as unusual as mine for their baby. If they do use an unusual name, it won't be unusual long.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
I presume the royal Cambridges will not use a name as unusual as mine for their baby. If they do use an unusual name, it won't be unusual long.
I don't think that's necessarily the case.

Despite "royal patronage", the name Eugenie has never become popular, and although Beatrice is becoming popular now, it's taken about 25 years to catch on .

Some people will actually avoid using the Cambridge baby's name because they won't want to be seen as copycats, even if the name was previously on their shortlist. It is the same with celeb babies, people do get put off using these names.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
I don't think that's necessarily the case.

Despite "royal patronage", the name Eugenie has never become popular, and although Beatrice is becoming popular now, it's taken about 25 years to catch on .

Some people will actually avoid using the Cambridge baby's name because they won't want to be seen as copycats, even if the name was previously on their shortlist. It is the same with celeb babies, people do get put off using these names.
I think that depends on who the celebrity is. I think the name Violet became more popular after Jennifer Garner and Ben Afleck gave it to their daughter (though not necesarily because). However I don't think the name North will ever become popular. Especially now.. and that has more to do with her parents than with the name.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Aristocracy

Violet is one of the "old lady names" which have been recently coming back into fashion. I don't think it's unusual enough, or those actors sufficiently high-profile, for its popularity to be affected.

What has always surprised me is that the name Diana never really rose in popularity after Lady Diana Spencer appeared on the scene.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelly View Post
I could care less if you made fun of my name as long as you spell it right. I haven't seen my name (real name) mentioned. Which is Michele but I can't see the Royal family using it.

Names: Elizabeth Diana Carole Alexandra
Philip Charles Arthur George. ( I want to put Henry in there but it doesn't sound right in my head.

For GodParents I say
Prince Harry
PIppa
Zara
I could see Eugenie or Beatrice there but I wouldn't hedge my bets on it.
Your boy name is what Diana said during her wedding vows switching Charles's first 2 names. Charles's name: Charles Phillip Arthur George.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
William and Catherine may surprise us with a more unusual first name but I would love a little Elizabeth who I would call Elizabeth because I have never been a fan of Liz or Betty and I do think Alexandra is very regal sounding. I wonder if they will say a nickname if they plan to go that route? You know like Harry is Prince Henry but it was made known from day 1 he would be known as Prince Harry? i think they probably have a short list and like most parents are waiting until the baby is born to decide. You might think this is funny but sometimes I see names as being better on blondes and some more suited to Brunettes. Like Melody is blonde sounding name to me etc.
Yes - I have an Elisabeth - I have always loved the name. I thought long about naming her that, as I wanted an Elisabeth, not a Liz, Beth, Betty, etc., because I love the name itself! She is called Elisabeth almost exclusively. Her older sister has a "sister nickname" for her, sometimes calling her Lily.... But at school, with friends, family, etc. it has remained her full name.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Serene Highness

I know a really cute Violet, who is 11 years old. She has violet-rimmed glasses. She plays baseball on my grandson's Little League co-ed team. They will separate girls and boys next year so I won't see Violet as much.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
I know a really cute Violet, who is 11 years old. She has violet-rimmed glasses. She plays baseball on my grandson's Little League co-ed team. They will separate girls and boys next year so I won't see Violet as much.
The portuguese variant of the name "Violet" is "Violeta", but isn't a very popular name nowadays. Although it's a very common name for older women.

I have a great-aunt called Violet. A 98 years old spinster with no sense of humour, who lives in a very somber mansion.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
I think the name Violet became more popular after Jennifer Garner and Ben Afleck gave it to their daughter.
Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, had an older sister named Violet Hyacinth Bowes-Lyon who died before she was born. So the name does have a connection in the royal family. I like the name Violet as a middle name and as a pairing with the "V" in Victoria, such as Charlotte Victoria Diana Violet.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Aristocracy

I'm uneasy about the name Violet as it's only one letter away from Violent
Old 07-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Nobility

Big difference between Violet and violent, in pronunciation. Now a name like Violant as can be found in the old Spanish kingdoms, is much more uncomfortably close.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
Charlotte Victoria Diana Violet.
What about Victoria Charlotte Violet Cynthia
Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
i think we all can expect for a girl: Charlotte, Alexandra, Mary, Elizabeth, Victoria, Alice, Anne, Alice... I think this are the most likely though...
For a boy: unfortunately George... I hope they can think of Arthur and Richard, I absolutely love those names, they are regal and majestic.
Charlotte is a classy name but its too girly for me lol. Mary is too plain. Alexandra is nice. So are Elizabeth and Victoria ...

I like the boy name George (good reason behind it too) or Arthur (because prince Charles reportedly wanted to name William Arthur instead)