The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I never heard anything about John as a name for William. The story I always hear that Charles wanted Arthur and William was Diana's choice.

William and Kate can always go to David Cameron and the PM can tell the Queen what to name the baby since the queen can't disobey her government :)
It Still doesn't matter! The PM/Cameron will still side with Queen. The Queen get the final say and give consent and Will and Catherine knows it and The PM knows he can't do anything about it.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post

I think that the BRF became pretty darned tired of Victoria and her constant demands and whims. I don't think there's been a Victoria or Albert since as a first name within the BRF.

Worse than her demands regarding names was her demands regarding continual mourning for Albert and her departed children... but that is off topic.
Princess Eugenie middle name is Victoria.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I think that the BRF became pretty darned tired of Victoria and her constant demands and whims. I don't think there's been a Victoria or Albert since as a first name within the BRF.

George VI was named Albert.

As far as name approval - I realize they won't just do what they want without the queen's approval but technically can't William and Catherine put any name on the birth certificate like any other parents in the country?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Royal Highness

George VI was born in 1895, when Victoria still reigned supreme over the BRF.

I agree that Cameron would never get involved in the naming (and would never fail to side with the Queen), nor would the BRF ever get him involved as a way of getting around the Queen. I tend to think Cameron has a whole lot more on his plate than whether this baby is named John, Diana, or North West.

IF Will and Kate wanted to get around the Queen's approval they would merely announce the name before presenting it to her. Don't flip out; that was a hypothetical. In the States, the mother fills out and signs the birth certificate in her hospital bed and can put whatever name she chooses on it - I'm betting in Britain it's the same. So legally, I'm almost positive they don't need the Queen's approval nor do they need the PM's.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Courtier

I think the Queen will be fine no matter what name they choose. The baby will have 3 or 4 names and can choose any of those when they become Queen or King so the first name can be more modern. I think that would be fine too and it opens up the name pool. It's funny how excited I am by all this. LOL I come here and check first thing when I wake up because I know we will have it on here pretty fast. I'm glad Diana won with William and Harry can't really imagine them as anything else. LOL I won't be surprised if Victoria is one of the names simply because it's a name Prince Charles is said to always have wanted. Guess we have to wait and see....
Old 07-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Nobility

I'm rooting for Victoria Elizabeth Diana Catherine/Alexandra
Old 07-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:

Worse than her demands regarding names was her demands regarding continual mourning for Albert and her departed children... but that is off topic.
Victoria wished her descendents to carry the name, not necessarily as a first. Her children and grandchildren almost all carried some form. And to this day, a form of their name can be found in every generation.

Victoria was Alexandra Victoria and Albert was Frances Albert Augustus Charles Edward.

-Victoria
-Alexandra (though recent generations more likely a link to Queen Alex)
-Victor
-Alexander
-Albert
-Augustus
-Alberta
-could add Charles and Edward technically

Queen Elizabeth's generation was the first real decline in the names, or a close variation. Elizabeth has Alexandra, but more for her own great-grantmother than Victoria. Her son Andrew, and her grandson Harry both have Albert. Her granddaughter Eugenie has Victoria. Eug and Bea are both named for Vic's daughters. James has Alexander, a form of Alexandra. Richard of Gloucester has Alexander as a middle name, and his heir is Alexander. There is Princess Alexandra of Kent. Lord Nicholas' younger son is Albert.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Consort Ming View Post

George VI was named Albert.

As far as name approval - I realize they won't just do what they want without the queen's approval but technically can't William and Catherine put any name on the birth certificate like any other parents in the country?
George VI was born during Victoria's lifetime.

Everyone of Edward VII's children had either a Victoria, Albert, or Alexander (or one of the opposite-gender equivalents) in their name. Of George VI's children, the first 5, born during Victoria's lifetime, have either "Albert" or "Victoria," the 5th, born the year after Victoria's death, has "Alexander," and the last one, born 4 years after Victoria's death, has none of the typical names. Of Edward VII's grandchildren, only one has one of those 3 names. They moved on really quickly.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:17 AM
Nobility

Actually, HM Queen Victoria's name was Alexandrina Victoria, not Alexandra Victoria.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:28 AM
Commoner

Didn't someone here say that it was rumored that Diana wanted Eleanor if she and Charles had a girl? I think that would be a really good name. Ella or Ellie for short when she's young. I also love Alice.

Though I think it's more likely to be Victoria, Alexandra, or Charlotte if it's a girl.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet View Post
Didn't someone here say that it was rumored that Diana wanted Eleanor if she and Charles had a girl? I think that would be a really good name. Ella or Ellie for short when she's young. I also love Alice.

Though I think it's more likely to be Victoria, Alexandra, or Charlotte if it's a girl.

At the this time in history, two other European princesses are named Eleanor. One is HRH Princess Eleanor of Belgium, youngest child of the future King Phillippe of the Belgians. The other is HRH Infanta Leonor of Spain, whose name translated to English is Eleanor. She currently is the heir to the heir of the Spanish throne.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKellyFan View Post
Princess Diana - and she would be that in her own right which her tragic grandmother never was. Princess and eventually Queen Diana - wouldnt that be marvellous revenge from the murky waters of Althorp !!
He can name the baby anything he likes but>> Harry will get Nottingham Cottage. Apartment 1A will go to Peter and Autumn and their lovely daughters. Anmer Hall will go to Beatrice when she get married.

W&K can see if uncle Charlie will let them stay at Althorp.

William will find out much he 'adores' his inlaws once he moves in permanently.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Commoner

or, perhaps Camilla ?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Courtier

What?
The Queen gave William 1A and she can take it away for any reason.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Gentry

I wonder if they'll take into account the names of other monarchs of Europe. Sweden will have a Queen Victoria at the same time this child will be on the throne and Belgium will have a Queen Elisabeth. I don't think they're likely to repeat the names of anyone in their immediate or extended family and for that reason I'd rule out Alexandra. I still think the baby will be a boy, but if it's a girl, I still think Alice is a very likely possibility as the mother of Prince Philip, who has had multiple health problems in past months. My pick is still Alice Elizabeth Diana Carole. That would still leave her the option of Elizabeth as a regnal name, if they don't want a Queen Alice I. For a boy: George Philip Charles Michael.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Heir Apparent

i dont think they give 2 hoots about what is happening in other royal families.
I doubt that they are even aware.

Lots of posters have written about not repeating names, but many families have tradition of repeating names and naming children for grandparents and parents is quite usual. and is happens in the BRf, otherwise we wouldnt have had 6 x George or 8 x Edward. And the names used by the Kents and Gloucesters are no bar to them being used by the Cambridges.

This is a family bound by tradition and William and Catherine are no different. It will be family names IMO.

My one wish is that they avoid the name Diana. not only for the burden the child would carry, but I want William to leave that name for Harry to use in the future. I will be really disappointed in him if he names the child after his mother ( and shocked if he does and its a boy )

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Commoner

My guess is that this baby is a girl and will be named Charlotte Michelle for her two grandfathers.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
What?
The Queen gave William 1A and she can take it away for any reason.
I meant perhaps they might name the child Camilla.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestocking View Post
I wonder if they'll take into account the names of other monarchs of Europe. Sweden will have a Queen Victoria at the same time this child will be on the throne and Belgium will have a Queen Elisabeth. I don't think they're likely to repeat the names of anyone in their immediate or extended family and for that reason I'd rule out Alexandra. I still think the baby will be a boy, but if it's a girl, I still think Alice is a very likely possibility as the mother of Prince Philip, who has had multiple health problems in past months. My pick is still Alice Elizabeth Diana Carole. That would still leave her the option of Elizabeth as a regnal name, if they don't want a Queen Alice I. For a boy: George Philip Charles Michael.
This child is going to be 3rd in line to the British throne. Victoria of Sweden is 1st in line to her throne. Either she would have to have an extraordinary long life or else the Brits will have to start dropping like flies in order for their to reigns to really coincide much.

What's more likely to happen is that Baby Cambridge will rule around the same time as Estelle of Sweden, Elisabeth of Belgium, Joseph-Wenzel of Liechtenstein, Christian of Denmark, Ingrid of Norway, and Leonor of Spain.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Nobility

Considering Victoria is only a few years older than William, it is more likely Estelle and Baby Cambridge will be rulers at the same time. The continental royals seem to have no issue with the same name or similar. We have Philippe and Felipe and Carl Philip (two of which are heirs). We have Guilliame and Wills (variation of the same name), Albert II of Belgium and Prince Albert II of Monaco. Other names have been reused this generation. The heirs this generation have not repeated (so far we have Leoonor, Estelle, Ingrid, Catharina-Amalia, Elisabeth, Christian, Joseph-Wenzel). Baby Cambridge will leave Luxembourg with the only heir without a child to follow (Gui and Steph will likely soon follow). Albert doesn't either I guess, but Caroline's children come after him,and we have baby Sacha.