Baby Cambridge: Musings and Suggestions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone "upstairs" has got it in for you, having a party and receiving presents isn't going to do anything.:lol:

If someone "upstairs" has got it in for you, having a party and receiving presents isn't going to do anything.:lol:

Perhaps, but coming home from the hospital after something went wrong and seeing a pile of baby presents could only add to the parents grief. Anyway, joking about it seems a bit off to me.

Last edited:
People who don't celebrate the birth of a child prior to the birth do so (sometimes) because of a superstition that something bad will happen.

It's the whole don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch thing.

Yes, my grandmother always warns me to not think too far ahead, or acknowledge things such as birthdays, weddings, and births before they occur. In Russian culture, it's a bad luck to celebrate before the event takes place.

In the words of the old Russian proverb 'Heaven protects the cautious' (or something to that effect, since I'm not all that great with word-for-word translations). Sometimes it's good to just take a breath, and enjoy the 'now', and that can be a pregnancy, courtship/engagement, etc, instead of making plans for the future that has not yet taken place.

Well every woman I know under the age of 35 in the same circs has not had a baby shower. PResents when going on maternity leave from work but otherwise no. Maybe the women I know are more superstitious.

Same here, cepe. I know no-one who's had a baby shower. Gifts are still given after the baby is born where I am.

I've never been wild about the whole idea of baby showers, because since the gifts are opened in the presence of all guests and even shown to everyone, stating who gave each one, there is a subtle implication that one must buy something at least impressive if not expensive, or be thought cheap by the other gift-givers. (Note the words "subtle implication".)

There's always been the custom in America of giving baby showers prior to birth. We never considered it superstitious or pushing our luck by giving presents prior to the arrival of a baby, although showers are given late in term well past the risk stage. However some couples usually don't put a crib in the nursery until the birth is imminent in case something goes horribly wrong, but not everyone does this. They'll order a crib but not arrange for its delivery until a few days prior to birth. Why having a nursery crib too soon is considered a superstition but not a pre-birth baby shower is anyone's guess.

And nowadays with shower gift registries, people can purchase exactly what the expectant mother requests so there isn't any embarrassment by giving unwanted or unimpressive gifts.

Last edited:
What's superstition got to do with having a party for your baby? It's an American thing.

Ni, it's a Jewish superstition. Plenty of my Jewish friends and in-laws will tell you all about it.

Ni, it's a Jewish superstition. Plenty of my Jewish friends and in-laws will tell you all about it.

I dont think its owned by one particular group - its a general superstition - originating from Gallus gallus domesticus who determined not to count their offspring before they were born ;)

And nowadays with shower gift registries, people can purchase exactly what the expectant mother requests so there isn't any embarrassment by giving unwanted or unimpressive gifts.

Note I said "subtle implication", because I knew someone would have something to say about it. :p An expectant mother can list anything from a box of diapers to a highchair on a gift registry.

Well, truthfully, I've never seen diapers listed on a gift registry but you never know!:) I went to a shower where the mom-to-be listed baby onesies, blankets, bathing towels and other small sundries on her registry along with major gifts. Now I wasn't just going to buy her a package of onesies and call it a day, so I also got her a variety of towels and blankets as well. I always feel that if expectant mothers put these items on their registry, it's because these are the things they need.

Last edited:
There's always been the custom in America of giving baby showers prior to birth. We never considered it superstitious or pushing our luck by giving presents prior to the arrival of a baby, although showers are given late in term well past the risk stage.

I think there's a bit of a cultural difference to all this. I'm always amazed in the NFL when the players go bonkers celebrating when they manage to advance the ball closer to the goal line. In our football (soccer), that would be considered incredibly presumptuous. Players don't celebrate getting a penalty, they save that for when, or if, the penalty is converted.

I think Americans are generally more optimistic people, compared with Brits. We're always kind of expecting that everything will go wrong. Personally, I would feel a baby shower before the birth would somehow jinx it.

Aww, that baby giraffe is adorable. Since it's female, I think they should name it Gracie!:D

Don't know if any of you happened to catch the angry giraffe video on the same link but I was thinking that he would be excellent to keep the paps in line. :D

I think there's a bit of a cultural difference to all this. I'm always amazed in the NFL when the players go bonkers celebrating when they manage to advance the ball closer to the goal line. In our football (soccer), that would be considered incredibly presumptuous. Players don't celebrate getting a penalty, they save that for when, or if, the penalty is converted.

I think Americans are generally more optimistic people, compared with Brits. We're always kind of expecting that everything will go wrong. Personally, I would feel a baby shower before the birth would somehow jinx it.

The whole point of a baby shower, aside from celebrating the expectant mother, is helping provide her with things she'll need before the baby arrives, like furniture, clothes, toys, diapers, breast pump....whatever she might need that she doesn't already have/can't afford to buy herself. It's no different than a bridal shower where everyone gives the bride-to-be gifts that are on her registry list, like appliances, china, bath towels, or silverware.

I know some women are superstitious about announcing their pregnancy until they're past the first trimester, since most miscarriages occur in the first 3 months and they want to ensure a healthy pregnancy first, but I don't see how gathering around and getting her stuff for the baby jinxes the pregnancy. There is no such thing as a jinx. If the pregnancy ends before she is due to deliver, it has nothing to do with whether her friends bought her a bunch of baby wipes and nappies.

Going back to the original media piece, I would say (with all due respect to Lumutqueen) that Babyshowers are not the norm in the UK and therefore it is not a surprise that the Duchess of Cambridge is not having one.

Just chalk it up to being one of many cultural differences between the UK and the US.

Traditionally baby showers were for a first baby. And many of the items were things the parents needed and in some cases could not afford. These would be items needed when the baby got home, and makes sense to be given ahead of time.

It may not be a totally 'Jewish' superstition, but it is a strong one. In North America where baby showers are common, the Jewish population is one that wouldn't have one.They have a few superstitions around babies, including not naming a child for a living family member (Courtney Cox wanted to name daughter Courtney, but was vetoed as David is Half-Jewish. Courtney herself is named after her mother, a southern tradition. They compromised, and named the baby Coco).

Coco Cox? Please tell me no. A compromise is never a good idea.

Phew. Just. I know someone called May who married a surname called May. May May. So yes, it could be worse.

Names are so so important. Its not a sound, its an identity.

I'm always being reminded that my 'pessimistic and over-anxious tendencies will help bring about whatever it is that I don't want', so I can agree with you on the fact that a lot of Americans are at times over-the-top optimists. I like to be level-headed, and thinking of all possible scenarios, be they positive or negative, helps in that regard (and causes my co-workers to constantly tell me to 'think positively').

In regards to baby showers, I think they're great when it's first child. When it's second/third/fourth/etc., there's really no need, because all the essentials can be in working order from the previous children. In terms of William and Catherine, I think it would be a lovely idea if they had people donate to charities instead of sending gifts. It made such a difference when done before their wedding.

^^^ Must republicans rain on every thread? Mia_mae is hoping for a girl. Her prerogative.

Are you having a bad day?

I hope MiaMae does not read "que" as anything but "what" (i.e.. please explain, I don't understand) instead of a republican downpour! Desculpa se estas ofendida MiaMae.

Last edited:
Well, truthfully, I've never seen diapers listed on a gift registry but you never know!:) I went to a shower where the mom-to-be listed baby onesies, blankets, bathing towels and other small sundries on her registry along with major gifts. Now I wasn't just going to buy her a package of onesies and call it a day, so I also got her a variety of towels and blankets as well. I always feel that if expectant mothers put these items on their registry, it's because these are the things they need.

Yes, of course my example was extreme, but you get the idea. And yes, I have seen diapers, onesies, receiving blankets listed on registries, along with the more expensive items. Why wouldn't they list everything, since they likely need everything? :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom