The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not familiar with what "Godparent" means these days. When I was asked to be a Godparent, my only responsibilities to the child were socializing and seeing to the reinforcement of religious education, (i.e. God). Other people were actually designated to take care of the children in case the parents became incapacitated or died before the children reached their majority.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Serene Highness

As far as I remember Kitty, my Godparents were entrusted with raising me in the event anything happened to my parents, death being the main thing. They were to raise me as their own as if I was their daughter. Unfortunately, my Godparents passed away before my parents. I only had one set of Godparents though so I dont know what would have happened if they all had passed at the same time. I suppose that is why some children have multiple Godparents.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Serene Highness

By the way, anyone watch the program on " Bringing up Baby"? I thought it was just the same old thing, blah, blah. Barbara Walters loves doing these little interviews I think just so people dont forget about her. :)
Old 05-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I'm not familiar with what "Godparent" means these days. When I was asked to be a Godparent, my only responsibilities to the child were socializing and seeing to the reinforcement of religious education, (i.e. God). Other people were actually designated to take care of the children in case the parents became incapacitated or died before the children reached their majority.
Depends on the family. I had six but their responsibilities were limited to nice gifts at christening, birthdays, Christmas and confirmation, and the odd holiday invite. They were never intended to be my guardians as that was covered by a seperate legal document drawn up by my parents and my guardians were not also godparents.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^^That is my understanding of "Godparent."
Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post

Depends on the family. I had six but their responsibilities were limited to nice gifts at christening, birthdays, Christmas and confirmation, and the odd holiday invite. They were never intended to be my guardians as that was covered by a seperate legal document drawn up by my parents and my guardians were not also godparents.
Same here. Godparents have no legal standing according to the law. So, my husband and I also asked them seperately to become our childrens guardians.
I have no idea how this works with Royals though.
I can imagine them asking Harry as godfather&guardian. Since, if something would happen to W&C, Harry would be the obvious person to act as Regent until baby C. reaches majority.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Serene Highness

I read on the RF that Prince Charles reached out to help one of his goddaughters. Was she a descendant of the Duke of Kent? I'm not sure. Anyway, he helped guide her to a better way of life, interceded for her with others who could help. This is the role I see for a godparent, to be watchful to see if the child is on a healthy track. And to intercede if he/she can, should the child not be on the right track. Thus it is a kind of spiritual rather than economic responsibility, although an economic help could be implied in the case of a wealthy godparent such as Prince Charles. A godparent could also remind the family to send the child to religious classes, such as preparation for confirmation, if the family was not doing its job. I have never been a godparent so I'm assuming what would be a natural role for such a person. If I were a godparent I would think it would be my job to at least keep in touch with the child by letters, calls, visits if possible, and to give the child advice such as that obtainable in good books, videos, etc. If such a role were not undertaken, what is the point of the role "godparent"? It is more than standing up in a picture behind the RF and the infant.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
I read on the RF that Prince Charles reached out to help one of his goddaughters. Was she a descendant of the Duke of Kent? I'm not sure. Anyway, he helped guide her to a better way of life, interceded for her with others who could help. This is the role I see for a godparent, to be watchful to see if the child is on a healthy track. And to intercede if he/she can, should the child not be on the right track. Thus it is a kind of spiritual rather than economic responsibility, although an economic help could be implied in the case of a wealthy godparent such as Prince Charles. A godparent could also remind the family to send the child to religious classes, such as preparation for confirmation, if the family was not doing its job. I have never been a godparent so I'm assuming what would be a natural role for such a person. If I were a godparent I would think it would be my job to at least keep in touch with the child by letters, calls, visits if possible, and to give the child advice such as that obtainable in good books, videos, etc. If such a role were not undertaken, what is the point of the role "godparent"? It is more than standing up in a picture behind the RF and the infant.
AFAIK it was Marina Ogilvy the daughter of Princess Alexandra and the late Sir Angus Ogilvy. And as I recall too he did reach out to help her during her troubled marriage.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
AFAIK it was Marina Ogilvy the daughter of Princess Alexandra and the late Sir Angus Ogilvy. And as I recall too he did reach out to help her during her troubled marriage.
I remember it as Marina Ogilvy was on public assistance, and Prince Charles was trying to encourage her parents to help her out because it looked bad for a member of the royal family to be on public assistance.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannyD View Post
I remember it as Marina Ogilvy was on public assistance, and Prince Charles was trying to encourage her parents to help her out because it looked bad for a member of the royal family to be on public assistance.
How do you know this was the reason? Her marriage and disagreement with her parents was all across the tabloids and the Ogilvy's were not getting bad press.
I think it is just as likely that he tried to help out someone he knew and cared about. Considering his work in assisting young people generally, I believe that this is more likely.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Aristocracy

Five "Modern" Royal Parenting Trends That Are Actually Centuries Old

5 “Modern” Royal Parenting Trends That Are Actually Centuries Old | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 05-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Courtier

Thanks for the article.

(Never bought into the Diana modernized the monarchy.)
Old 05-30-2013, 08:02 AM
Gentry

Ditto. It was an interesting piece. I do have to give Diana credit for, if not "modernizing" the monarchy, certainly helping to foster change within it. The practices mentioned by the article seemed to be long out of fashion at the time of William's birth in 1983, so when she adopted them, they were seen as modern. Bell bottoms were popular in the '70s; when they reemerged in the '90s, they were the "modern" way to wear pants. Certainly not a new innovation, but a new one to that generation.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Duchess View Post
Ditto. It was an interesting piece. I do have to give Diana credit for, if not "modernizing" the monarchy, certainly helping to foster change within it. The practices mentioned by the article seemed to be long out of fashion at the time of William's birth in 1983, so when she adopted them, they were seen as modern.
Strongly agree with above statement about Diana, Princess of Wales. Maybe her parenting guidelines where not original, but her persona relating to people was original and help modernize the future BRF. (Prince William rule and Cambridge baby's rule)
Old 05-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Thanks for the article.

(Never bought into the Diana modernized the monarchy.)
I second that, agree.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:35 AM
Courtier

Happy June, the month before the due month.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Majesty

Yes, the big day or night is almost here.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Nobility

5-6 weeks left!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
5-6 weeks left!
How do you know that? It can be be 8 weeks and a half still.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
How do you know that? It can be be 8 weeks and a half still.
You are right, it could even even be 4 weeks.

Tags
baby gifts, prince william and duchess of cambridge