The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #921  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Elenath's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nuth, Netherlands
Posts: 307
I'm sure this is a culture thing but I don't know a single woman who went to stay with her own family after the birth and after the first few days they where alone during the day (not counting visiters). All off these women had husbands who went back to work after a few days off.
As for the distance. They could take a plane... It's not that far...
I think I would see this as the perfect time to bond as a family without too many bystanders.
__________________

__________________
  #922  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,004
Yeah it would be odd here to see a married woman go stay with her mother (anyone other than at home with her husband) after she gave birth. Much more likely to see a family member come stay with them if they had a real need for them (problem delivery etc).

LaRae
__________________

__________________
  #923  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:19 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,444
She would be completely alone. No family or close friends nearby and William working the series of 24 hour shifts.

It is not practical for her to join local mother and baby groups because of privacy issues. When you take on the royal family life, it can be isolating.

This is only for a short period so I don't really see why anyone would think it a problem.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #924  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,004
Well quite frankly she'd simply be in the position many women are in when they are married to military men.


LaRae
__________________
  #925  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:23 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
She would be completely alone. No family or close friends nearby and William working the series of 24 hour shifts.

It is not practical for her to join local mother and baby groups because of privacy issues. When you take on the royal family life, it can be isolating.

This is only for a short period so I don't really see why anyone would think it a problem.
Agreed. It seems like a pretty ideal short term solution. I imagine the workers are doing their best to get their apartment ready as soon as possible.
__________________
  #926  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Plus that's quite a distance to travel with a newborn to get out there
I'm not sure why distance would be an issue, yes it's a 4 hour drive but that baby would more than likely sleep. It's a drive they're going to have to do at some point.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #927  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
I'm sure this is a culture thing but I don't know a single woman who went to stay with her own family after the birth and after the first few days they where alone during the day (not counting visiters). All off these women had husbands who went back to work after a few days off.
As for the distance. They could take a plane... It's not that far...
I think I would see this as the perfect time to bond as a family without too many bystanders.
I think if William's work schedule was 9-5 Mon.-Fri. then that would work out, but it isn't. Friends of mine who are married to men with similar work schedules (firefighters) have had their mothers come to help out in the first six weeks because of their spouse's work demands.

Also since the Cambridges are likely to be London based in the future, I would guess that easy access to their pediatrician and Kate's ob/gyn play a role in their decision.
__________________
  #928  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:40 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Well quite frankly she'd simply be in the position many women are in when they are married to military men.


LaRae
I don't think so. Military wives bond but with wives of the same "rank". This is certainly the case in the Uk in my experience. Catherine is in a difficult position in that privacy issues, top of Williams agenda, make it difficult for her to mix.

We haven't heard of any classes that most mums to be attend and if she had, we would know, never mind the pix.

She isn't the same as other military wives.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #929  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Well quite frankly she'd simply be in the position many women are in when they are married to military men.


LaRae
And William is fortunate that as active duty officer that he is based in the UK and not overseas ie: Afghanistan. He'll be present for the birth, have a short paternity leave and then return to Wales.
__________________
  #930  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:41 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I'm not sure why distance would be an issue, yes it's a 4 hour drive but that baby would more than likely sleep. It's a drive they're going to have to do at some point.
I'm sure they will do it at some point, but right after the birth, Kate is going to be exhausted and recovering and figuring things out. It would be so hard to do a four hour drive in the first two weeks or so of the baby's life.
__________________
  #931  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:43 PM
CanRoyal's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West Coast, Canada
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
She would be completely alone. No family or close friends nearby and William working the series of 24 hour shifts.

It is not practical for her to join local mother and baby groups because of privacy issues. When you take on the royal family life, it can be isolating.

This is only for a short period so I don't really see why anyone would think it a problem.
I agree.

Although there is no proof, it is likely that many of the other BRF families had a maternity/baby nurse for a short while after the birth of their first babies. It's kind of the done thing to do in that strata of society.

I would hazard a guess that after the difficult birth of Louise, Sophie very likely had a baby nurse so that she could concentrate on bonding with her baby while she recovered.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath
....As for the distance. They could take a plane... It's not that far...
I think I would see this as the perfect time to bond as a family without too many bystanders.
There are the postpartum doctor appointments to consider.

Additionally, while you certainly can take a newborn on a plane, pediatricians generally do not recommend that you do so in those first few weeks. Here's one link (there are many others) concerning this topic: http://www.parenting.com/article/ask...with-a-newborn
__________________
  #932  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I don't think so. Military wives bond but with wives of the same "rank". This is certainly the case in the Uk in my experience. Catherine is in a difficult position in that privacy issues, top of Williams agenda, make it difficult for her to mix.

We haven't heard of any classes that most mums to be attend and if she had, we would know, never mind the pix.

She isn't the same as other military wives.

Many a military wife has ended up in a new location during pregnancy and not had time to forge those close bonds...you aren't going to want just anyone involved.

It's not like she's off in outer space, I'm sure she can cope quite well there in Wales like many other military wives have done for ages.

I never attended birthing classes either so I don't consider that to be anything unusual.


LaRae
__________________
  #933  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I'm sure they will do it at some point, but right after the birth, Kate is going to be exhausted and recovering and figuring things out. It would be so hard to do a four hour drive in the first two weeks or so of the baby's life.
I disagree. Catherine is probably going to be tired and exhausted from giving birth, but the pair are going to be tired and exhausted for the majority of the rest of their lives. Plus a four hour drive with a baby that will more than likely sleep the entire way isn't that hard. Anglesey would give them the privacy they apparently "crave". Being in London is going to be a headache, and I bet they'll complain about it at some point. I understand Catherine going to stay with her parents, but the baby is going to be separated during the week, I assume, from its father which I disagree with in retrospect.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #934  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:53 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I disagree. Catherine is probably going to be tired and exhausted from giving birth, but the pair are going to be tired and exhausted for the majority of the rest of their lives. Plus a four hour drive with a baby that will more than likely sleep the entire way isn't that hard. Anglesey would give them the privacy they apparently "crave". Being in London is going to be a headache, and I bet they'll complain about it at some point. I understand Catherine going to stay with her parents, but the baby is going to be separated during the week, I assume, from its father which I disagree with in retrospect.
What about all of the doctor visits and stuff? Catherine will have post-partum visits, and the baby will have all of the early pediatrician visits. I just really think Anglesy would be a logistical nightmare for them. I understand completely why they looked at alternatives.

And even on Anglesy, the baby would be separated from its father because William works 24 hour shifts and has to stay on the base. I'd wager on his days off, he'll travel to be with Kate and the baby.
__________________
  #935  
Old 04-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,132
We're talking about the future King/Queen here, doctor visits, post partum visits, paediatrician visits can be made whereever this child is. This is one occasion where you could use your royal status to their advantage.

If William makes the 8 hour round trip on his day off, I'll be surprised. It makes more sense, in hindsight, for this baby to be in Anglesey, and have Carole, Pippa and the nanny that they will hire there with Catherine.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #936  
Old 04-21-2013, 03:06 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
We're talking about the future King/Queen here, doctor visits, post partum visits, paediatrician visits can be made whereever this child is. This is one occasion where you could use your royal status to their advantage.

If William makes the 8 hour round trip on his day off, I'll be surprised. It makes more sense, in hindsight, for this baby to be in Anglesey, and have Carole, Pippa and the nanny that they will hire there with Catherine.
I'm sure that if that's what made the most sense and what they were most comfortable with, it's what they'd be doing.

Perhaps Uncle Gary is wrong and they do intend to do that, but honestly, I feel like whatever arrangements they choose to make will be the best ones for mom and baby and shouldn't be second guessed.
__________________
  #937  
Old 04-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,132
I doubt "sense" comes in to the argument in all honest, I think it has to do with what Catherine wants. She wants to be at her home, with her child.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #938  
Old 04-21-2013, 03:12 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I doubt "sense" comes in to the argument in all honest, I think it has to do with what Catherine wants. She wants to be at her home, with her child.
And what's wrong with that?
__________________
  #939  
Old 04-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
And what's wrong with that?
Because personally, I think what's best for the child should come first. Like I have previously said, everything can be arranged to happen in Anglesey and they can get that desired privacy. Not going to repeat myself again.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #940  
Old 04-21-2013, 03:19 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Because personally, I think what's best for the child should come first. Like I have previously said, everything can be arranged to happen in Anglesey and they can get that desired privacy. Not going to repeat myself again.
What's best for the mother IS what's best for the child. Trust me, that newborn baby will have no concept of the difference between being at their grandparents' house and being fed and put to sleep and being in Wales and being fed and put to sleep.

The way you've phrased it makes it sound like you think Kate is putting her own needs above those of her child, and that's ridiculous.

As far as I'm concerned, child birth is so personal and so intimate that every woman should get to define for herself what would make her most comfortable while she goes through it and in the weeks after when she's learning how to be a mother.

I'm also 100% positive that William and Kate know better than we do what's best for their child.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
baby gifts, prince william and duchess of cambridge


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall Wedding Suggestions and Musings Thread Zonk The Princess Royal and Family 480 07-30-2011 08:59 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events dutch royal history fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games olympics ottoman picture of the month poland pom president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess letizia princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:19 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]