The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Nobility

I'm sure this is a culture thing but I don't know a single woman who went to stay with her own family after the birth and after the first few days they where alone during the day (not counting visiters). All off these women had husbands who went back to work after a few days off.
As for the distance. They could take a plane... It's not that far...
I think I would see this as the perfect time to bond as a family without too many bystanders.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Serene Highness

Yeah it would be odd here to see a married woman go stay with her mother (anyone other than at home with her husband) after she gave birth. Much more likely to see a family member come stay with them if they had a real need for them (problem delivery etc).

LaRae

Old 04-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

She would be completely alone. No family or close friends nearby and William working the series of 24 hour shifts.

It is not practical for her to join local mother and baby groups because of privacy issues. When you take on the royal family life, it can be isolating.

This is only for a short period so I don't really see why anyone would think it a problem.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Serene Highness

Well quite frankly she'd simply be in the position many women are in when they are married to military men.

LaRae
Old 04-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
She would be completely alone. No family or close friends nearby and William working the series of 24 hour shifts.

It is not practical for her to join local mother and baby groups because of privacy issues. When you take on the royal family life, it can be isolating.

This is only for a short period so I don't really see why anyone would think it a problem.
Agreed. It seems like a pretty ideal short term solution. I imagine the workers are doing their best to get their apartment ready as soon as possible.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Plus that's quite a distance to travel with a newborn to get out there
I'm not sure why distance would be an issue, yes it's a 4 hour drive but that baby would more than likely sleep. It's a drive they're going to have to do at some point.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
I'm sure this is a culture thing but I don't know a single woman who went to stay with her own family after the birth and after the first few days they where alone during the day (not counting visiters). All off these women had husbands who went back to work after a few days off.
As for the distance. They could take a plane... It's not that far...
I think I would see this as the perfect time to bond as a family without too many bystanders.
I think if William's work schedule was 9-5 Mon.-Fri. then that would work out, but it isn't. Friends of mine who are married to men with similar work schedules (firefighters) have had their mothers come to help out in the first six weeks because of their spouse's work demands.

Also since the Cambridges are likely to be London based in the future, I would guess that easy access to their pediatrician and Kate's ob/gyn play a role in their decision.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Well quite frankly she'd simply be in the position many women are in when they are married to military men.

LaRae
I don't think so. Military wives bond but with wives of the same "rank". This is certainly the case in the Uk in my experience. Catherine is in a difficult position in that privacy issues, top of Williams agenda, make it difficult for her to mix.

We haven't heard of any classes that most mums to be attend and if she had, we would know, never mind the pix.

She isn't the same as other military wives.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
And William is fortunate that as active duty officer that he is based in the UK and not overseas ie: Afghanistan. He'll be present for the birth, have a short paternity leave and then return to Wales.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I'm not sure why distance would be an issue, yes it's a 4 hour drive but that baby would more than likely sleep. It's a drive they're going to have to do at some point.
I'm sure they will do it at some point, but right after the birth, Kate is going to be exhausted and recovering and figuring things out. It would be so hard to do a four hour drive in the first two weeks or so of the baby's life.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:

I agree.

Although there is no proof, it is likely that many of the other BRF families had a maternity/baby nurse for a short while after the birth of their first babies. It's kind of the done thing to do in that strata of society.

I would hazard a guess that after the difficult birth of Louise, Sophie very likely had a baby nurse so that she could concentrate on bonding with her baby while she recovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath
....As for the distance. They could take a plane... It's not that far...
There are the postpartum doctor appointments to consider.

Additionally, while you certainly can take a newborn on a plane, pediatricians generally do not recommend that you do so in those first few weeks. Here's one link (there are many others) concerning this topic: http://www.parenting.com/article/ask...with-a-newborn
Old 04-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I don't think so. Military wives bond but with wives of the same "rank". This is certainly the case in the Uk in my experience. Catherine is in a difficult position in that privacy issues, top of Williams agenda, make it difficult for her to mix.

We haven't heard of any classes that most mums to be attend and if she had, we would know, never mind the pix.

She isn't the same as other military wives.

Many a military wife has ended up in a new location during pregnancy and not had time to forge those close bonds...you aren't going to want just anyone involved.

It's not like she's off in outer space, I'm sure she can cope quite well there in Wales like many other military wives have done for ages.

I never attended birthing classes either so I don't consider that to be anything unusual.

LaRae
Old 04-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I'm sure they will do it at some point, but right after the birth, Kate is going to be exhausted and recovering and figuring things out. It would be so hard to do a four hour drive in the first two weeks or so of the baby's life.
I disagree. Catherine is probably going to be tired and exhausted from giving birth, but the pair are going to be tired and exhausted for the majority of the rest of their lives. Plus a four hour drive with a baby that will more than likely sleep the entire way isn't that hard. Anglesey would give them the privacy they apparently "crave". Being in London is going to be a headache, and I bet they'll complain about it at some point. I understand Catherine going to stay with her parents, but the baby is going to be separated during the week, I assume, from its father which I disagree with in retrospect.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I disagree. Catherine is probably going to be tired and exhausted from giving birth, but the pair are going to be tired and exhausted for the majority of the rest of their lives. Plus a four hour drive with a baby that will more than likely sleep the entire way isn't that hard. Anglesey would give them the privacy they apparently "crave". Being in London is going to be a headache, and I bet they'll complain about it at some point. I understand Catherine going to stay with her parents, but the baby is going to be separated during the week, I assume, from its father which I disagree with in retrospect.
What about all of the doctor visits and stuff? Catherine will have post-partum visits, and the baby will have all of the early pediatrician visits. I just really think Anglesy would be a logistical nightmare for them. I understand completely why they looked at alternatives.

And even on Anglesy, the baby would be separated from its father because William works 24 hour shifts and has to stay on the base. I'd wager on his days off, he'll travel to be with Kate and the baby.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

We're talking about the future King/Queen here, doctor visits, post partum visits, paediatrician visits can be made whereever this child is. This is one occasion where you could use your royal status to their advantage.

If William makes the 8 hour round trip on his day off, I'll be surprised. It makes more sense, in hindsight, for this baby to be in Anglesey, and have Carole, Pippa and the nanny that they will hire there with Catherine.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
We're talking about the future King/Queen here, doctor visits, post partum visits, paediatrician visits can be made whereever this child is. This is one occasion where you could use your royal status to their advantage.

If William makes the 8 hour round trip on his day off, I'll be surprised. It makes more sense, in hindsight, for this baby to be in Anglesey, and have Carole, Pippa and the nanny that they will hire there with Catherine.
I'm sure that if that's what made the most sense and what they were most comfortable with, it's what they'd be doing.

Perhaps Uncle Gary is wrong and they do intend to do that, but honestly, I feel like whatever arrangements they choose to make will be the best ones for mom and baby and shouldn't be second guessed.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I doubt "sense" comes in to the argument in all honest, I think it has to do with what Catherine wants. She wants to be at her home, with her child.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I doubt "sense" comes in to the argument in all honest, I think it has to do with what Catherine wants. She wants to be at her home, with her child.
And what's wrong with that?
Old 04-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
And what's wrong with that?
Because personally, I think what's best for the child should come first. Like I have previously said, everything can be arranged to happen in Anglesey and they can get that desired privacy. Not going to repeat myself again.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Because personally, I think what's best for the child should come first. Like I have previously said, everything can be arranged to happen in Anglesey and they can get that desired privacy. Not going to repeat myself again.
What's best for the mother IS what's best for the child. Trust me, that newborn baby will have no concept of the difference between being at their grandparents' house and being fed and put to sleep and being in Wales and being fed and put to sleep.

The way you've phrased it makes it sound like you think Kate is putting her own needs above those of her child, and that's ridiculous.

As far as I'm concerned, child birth is so personal and so intimate that every woman should get to define for herself what would make her most comfortable while she goes through it and in the weeks after when she's learning how to be a mother.

I'm also 100% positive that William and Kate know better than we do what's best for their child.

Tags
baby gifts, prince william and duchess of cambridge