The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Serene Highness

I suppose she's called Catherine Elizabeth Mountbatten-Windsor at her documents.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
I suppose she's called Catherine Elizabeth Mountbatten-Windsor at her documents.
Actually as recent as the invasion pictures in France and they filed suit, in France a woman files by her maiden name. She filed as Catherine Elizabeth Middleton.

AND.. in Wales to the dismay of a shopkeeper who didn't realize who she was, she was Mrs. Cambridge. We all go by different "names" and what not by different folks. I love mine. Quarterpint.

Kate Middleton unrecognised buying wetsuit in Angelsey watersports store - Mirror Online

Old 04-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think there are photos of one of Prince Charles's old passports online and he had his first name as 'Charles", obviously, and his surname as 'Prince of Wales'. Same for his marriage certificate.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Serene Highness

At the Queen's marriage certificate, she's called Elizabeth Mary Alexandra Windsor.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/imagene...ificate--a.jpg
Old 04-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles was entered into the marriage registrar (for at least his first marriage) as The Prince Charles Philip Arthur George. Both Anne and Andrew, however, used Mountbatten-Windsor. In the court case in France last year, William also used Mountbatten-Windsor. Catherine used Middleton because (I believe) it's customary for women to use their maiden names in legal cases in France - there was also an argument that Middleton was used because that's what she was referred by in the press associated with the photos.

Simply "Windsor" can also be used - Andrew and Charles went by Lieutenant Windsor while in the Royal Navy on a day-to-day practice, and prior to his marriage Edward was credited as Edward Wessex. Using titles also happens - after his marriage, Edward was credited as Edward Wessex, William and Harry have always used Wales as a surname, and Beatrice and Eugenie have always used York as one.

As such, it reasons that Catherine is entitled to use any of the following as a surname when she needs to use one: Middleton, Windsor, Mountbatten-Windsor, or Cambridge. Or, she may chose to go without, and be Catherine Elizabeth (which is now her full, legal name), or HRH Duchess of Cambridge, or HRH Countess of Strathearn (in Scotland), or pull it all out and be HRH Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, etc. The woman has choices.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Charles was entered into the marriage registrar (for at least his first marriage) as The Prince Charles Philip Arthur George. Both Anne and Andrew, however, used Mountbatten-Windsor. In the court case in France last year, William also used Mountbatten-Windsor. Catherine used Middleton because (I believe) it's customary for women to use their maiden names in legal cases in France - there was also an argument that Middleton was used because that's what she was referred by in the press associated with the photos.

Simply "Windsor" can also be used - Andrew and Charles went by Lieutenant Windsor while in the Royal Navy on a day-to-day practice, and prior to his marriage Edward was credited as Edward Wessex. Using titles also happens - after his marriage, Edward was credited as Edward Wessex, William and Harry have always used Wales as a surname, and Beatrice and Eugenie have always used York as one.

As such, it reasons that Catherine is entitled to use any of the following as a surname when she needs to use one: Middleton, Windsor, Mountbatten-Windsor, or Cambridge. Or, she may chose to go without, and be Catherine Elizabeth (which is now her full, legal name), or HRH Duchess of Cambridge, or HRH Countess of Strathearn (in Scotland), or pull it all out and be HRH Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, etc. The woman has choices.
For all we know, Will could call her honeybooboo at home and that means the most to her. :)
Old 04-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
At the Queen's marriage certificate, she's called Elizabeth Mary Alexandra Windsor.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/imagene...ificate--a.jpg
LOL at The Princess Elizabeth's condition being "Spinster" prior to marriage!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincePatrick View Post
LOL at The Princess Elizabeth's condition being "Spinster" prior to marriage!!!
Why do you find that funny? She was a single woman who had never been married, so what else did you expect?
Old 04-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Okay...lets move on...back to Cambridge Baby: Musings and Suggestions.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Aristocracy

Anyway, how exciting that we're about 3 months away from the next royal birth!?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Majesty

Yeah, It's very exciting that the baby will be here soon. The Live Coverage is going to be amazing and I can't wait for the gun salutes to start and the congratulation messages come in.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Serene Highness

I can't believe we are going to see the birth of a future British Monarch.

Starting from July, we'll have ta Queen, a Prince of Wales, the Prince of Wales' eldest son, and the eldest child of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales. The last time this happened was back in 1901!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I can't believe we are going to see the birth of a future British Monarch.
Somehow I rather doubt they will let the cameras get that up close and personal
Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Somehow I rather doubt they will let the cameras get that up close and personal
Thanks God for that.

The last time I watched a labor, I saw my lunch again.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Administrator

All posts regarding the proper name of the Duchess of Cambridge, and how she is still referred to as Kate Middleton have been deleted as off topic, as I stated in an earlier message.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I'm going to bet money that WnK will give their child a standard boring name. Though I will give credit that Diana and Charles went for a William which I believe hadn't been used since the 1700's. I highly doubt they would go for an Adelaide, heck even Victoria would be a nice change. Wasn't there a Queen Charlotte at one time?
I dont see William as a very shocking name. While not held by a heir or king since William IV, the name has been used since. It was used as a middle name by both Victoria (Prince Arthur William, Duke of Connaught) and Edward VII (his son Henry William, Duke of Gloucester). Henry's eldet son was William, the older brother of the current duke of Gloucester. It was also the name of a great grandfather of Princess Diana (her mother's maternal grandfather was William Gill).
Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

William can be seen as a bit shocking because of William III and continued relations with Ireland.

I would say that with the Mountbatten-Windsors we've seen the reclamation of names used by... questionable monarchs.

Charles is associated best with Charles I, who was executed, although Charles II also has a questionable legacy (and a lack of legitimate heirs), plus there's the Jacobite legacy.

While Queen Anne wasn't bad, there was also Anne Boleyn (who is arguably more infamous).

Edward was, most recently, the king who abdicated.

William III came to power under questionable circumstances and has a very negative legacy in Northern Ireland. Also, of the 4 Williams, only 1 had legitimate, surviving issue (somewhat ironic as he himself was illegitimate).

Henry is most recently (and infamously) associated with Henry VIII.

And James, of course, is associated with the Jacobites.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^^
Have you considered the possibility that Elizabeth & Philip might have other associations with those names amongst family and friends.Certainly they chose names that they personally liked and were not put off by centuries old associations.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

I didn't say that any of HMs children, or grandchildren, had been named specifically for any previous monarch - and I think the names chosen would show that they largely didn't (I really doubt HM chose Charles as her heir's given name because it was the name of her predecessor who was executed for treason).

My point is simply that the monarchical names used can all be linked to monarchs and consorts who have had questionable legacies. Any one of them can be seen as a shocking choice because of those legacies that exist whether the deliberate connection between child and former monarch is being made. As such, I would argue that we're not going to see another George or Elizabeth simply because they're safe names (we might see a George or an Elizabeth, but not just because of the safeness of the names).

I think the name is going to be one that's been used by a monarch before, but I don't think they're going to go with a name based on the legacy of the monarch(s) who previously bore that name - they could shock us, much like the Queen (presumably) shocked the world with Charles.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:02 AM
Courtier

Joan Collins is right. Any woman who wants to stay beautiful (like me!) needs to diet every day of her life | Mail Online

Kate Middleton is six months pregnant, so where's the Duchess of Cambridge's baby bump? | Mail Online

Being 4 stone overweight at present I kind of envy this woman, even though she is getting a lot of negative daily mail comments at the moment.

Kate --- is Kate herself naturally thin? Or is she controlling her weight in some way too?

Tags
baby gifts, prince william and duchess of cambridge