The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Perhaps.

I just think it's a pretty name, certainly a royal name and one very rarely used. It would be a nice tribute to the consort Adelaide and Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, Queen Mary's mother.
I've always liked Adelaide. I knew a girl a few years ago with that name, and I always thought it was really dignified and nice.

As a child, she was called Addie and then she went back to using Adelaide as an adult, so it's got a cute nickname option for when a child is young.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
I know Queen Victoria was a Queen regnant. I was listing both reigning Queens and Queens consorts.
I understand that. I'm saying that you put Victoria in the wrong group. There has not been a Victoria as a Queen Consort, but rather one as a Queen Regnant.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I understand that. I'm saying that you put Victoria in the wrong group. There has not been a Victoria as a Queen Consort, but rather one as a Queen Regnant.
I put both reigning Queens and Queens consorts in that group.

"Elizabeth" was there as the name of two reigning Queens and of some Queens consorts.

"Victoria" was there as the name of Queen regnant.

"Adelaide" was there as the name of Queen consort.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Royal Highness

Adelaide is a lovely name, and the much loved Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen would be a great namesake.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I put both reigning Queens and Queens consorts in that group.

"Elizabeth" was there as the name of two reigning Queens and of some Queens consorts.

"Victoria" was there as the name of Queen regnant.

"Adelaide" was there as the name of Queen consort.
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with the names. Indeed, they're very beautiful names.

But this baby will be the British Monarch, a traditional name is necessary. If it's a boy he'll certainly have the name of a previous British King (most likely George or Edward), if it's a girl, she'll will be named after one of the Queens regnants, or after a successful Queen consort (like Elizabeth, Victoria or Charlotte).
One, you never mentioned anything about Adelaide; two, based upon the phrasing of the last bit of the post I just copy/pasted, it certainly does appear you're saying Queen Victoria was a consort. I wouldn't have bothered to reply to that post if I didn't think you said something in error.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Adelaide is a lovely name, and the much loved Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen would be a great namesake.
Adelaide is one of my favourite names for a baby girl of my own! It's such a regal name to me.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
There are people on this forum that seem to think they have to have a negative view of everything. It can be very funny.
Agree with that, Grandma828!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm going to bet money that WnK will give their child a standard boring name. Though I will give credit that Diana and Charles went for a William which I believe hadn't been used since the 1700's. I highly doubt they would go for an Adelaide, heck even Victoria would be a nice change. Wasn't there a Queen Charlotte at one time?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 04-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Courtier

IIRC...Charlotte has not been a happy name.

LaRae
Old 04-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I'm going to bet money that WnK will give their child a standard boring name. Though I will give credit that Diana and Charles went for a William which I believe hadn't been used since the 1700's. I highly doubt they would go for an Adelaide, heck even Victoria would be a nice change. Wasn't there a Queen Charlotte at one time?
William IV was the monarch before Victoria, and HRH Prince William of Gloucester (d1972) was the Queens first cousin.
Queen Charlotte was the consort of George III.

I hope the Cambridge baby is a boy with a good traditional British name.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Courtier

Has there ever been a female monarch with a 'double' name? Willem Alexander and Juan Carlos I can think of, of course, but was there ever a Mary Elizabeth, or a Sarah Jane, or similar? I think I would remember, but...
Old 04-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

There has never been an English/British (and I think even Scottish) monarch with a double name, regardless of gender.

We almost had a few, the closest being Albert Edward and Alexandrina Victoria, but both went with their second name instead. I believe Mary of Teck might have had two names prior to her husband's succession.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I can imagine that had she told the Linleys to choose a more suitable name that the 'suggestion', if you like that better than veto, would be ignored.
Setting aside the fact that neither the Linleys nor their children are HRHs, and their chance of coming to the throne is pretty much nil, what exactly is unsuitable about the names of their children?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Setting aside the fact that neither the Linleys nor their children are HRHs, and their chance of coming to the throne is pretty much nil, what exactly is unsuitable about the names of their children?
I've often wondered if their daughter was named after her grandmother or her grandmother's favorite drink.....

I think there's a difference between suitability of the names of the HRH's (including James and Louise Wessex whose title is an enigma) and those who are not.

I've no doubt, as Brazilian Empire suggests that this baby will receive a traditional name. The most exotic we will get is Frederick or Adelaide.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Viscount Linley's children are named Charles and Margarite - perfectly suitable and lovely names.

To of their middle names may be a bit out of the box (Charles Patrick Inigo and Margarita Elizabeth Rose Alleyne), but certainly not unsuitable, especially for two people so far down the line of succession. Inigo was the name of a famous English architect, while Alleyne is a beautiful old German name meaning "precious".
Old 04-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I've no doubt, as Brazilian Empire suggests that this baby will receive a traditional name. The most exotic we will get is Frederick or Adelaide.
You never know, maybe William and Kate will go for Aelgifu, Aelfthryth or Aethelflaed? Or Sigrid. Or may personal favourite - Ealdgyth. All perfectly traditional with roots in the Royal Family history (all names of previous Queens Consort).

Jokes aside, I would also love Emma as a name of a possible daughter, although not the first-born one. Emma of Normandy is one of my favourite historical characters.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I wouldn't have bothered to reply to that post if I didn't think you said something in error.
Oh my God. Did you bothered to read the entire paragraph?

I said "Queen regnants, or after a successful Queen consort." Then, I listed names of reigning Queens and Queens consorts.

Try to read with more attention next time.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Courtier

Not to offend anyone But if it a girl I hope they do not name it after Diana! I have heard people's say the thing and I have too agree. I can see it as a middle name but not as a first name. I know Diana was very much loved, had lot of people's who worshipped her and is William Mother and is the Baby late Grandmother but I can't see them naming it after Diana and one of the reasons is that the future daughter would be continually compared to her Grandmother Diana! Also since it will be Third in Line and the first born They will go with a traditnal British Royal Name since it will be the Furture King or Queen. If Diana is not a middle name then they could name the second or third one after Diana as the further away from the throne the more freedom they have.

I said this before but If It a Girl I think they will name it Victoria or Elizabeth and if it a Boy it will be George or Edward. Those have been the most popular names in the Royal Family from last 300 Years Along with William, Anne, Charlotte, Arthur, Albert, Margaret, Beatrice.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have never expresses that I hope Diana isn't use as a name before, this is one of the reasons I hope they are having a boy. I do not dislike or hate Diana but I am tired of the worship of her.

It's sad that tr name is going to have to be boring, an Alexandrina or Victoria would be a nice change while at the same time being historical.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 04-08-2013, 06:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
You never know, maybe William and Kate will go for Aelgifu, Aelfthryth or Aethelflaed? Or Sigrid. Or may personal favourite - Ealdgyth. All perfectly traditional with roots in the Royal Family history (all names of previous Queens Consort).
That's it, I am now definitely rooting for Aelfthryth if it's a girl

Quote:
Oh my God. Did you bothered to read the entire paragraph?

I said "Queen regnants, or after a successful Queen consort." Then, I listed names of reigning Queens and Queens consorts.

Try to read with more attention next time.
I read it as if you listed the Queen consorts too, but what does it matter? Now we know what you meant.

Closed Thread

Tags
baby gifts, prince william and duchess of cambridge