The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Serene Highness

Concerning how many kids they will have, no more than two. Have you forgotten the struggle with HG? Everything we have read here indicates that those who have it once usually have it again. Catherine might even decide one is enough and leave it to others to produce babies for the family. How quickly we forget the major problem HG was. I had it myself and I still wanted another child, but now, seeing how often it repeats, I see that would have been another misery. It isn't just the physical misery, it's the stress caused to everyone around you, such as William and the first child. There seems to be no way to prevent HG. No one has suggested a way to do so simply because no one seems to know what causes it, that I know of.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I remember fairly orderly photo shoots with the young William and Harry before the public started getting whipped up in the "everything you had to know about the royals" mindset. Granted, now in the age of state-of-the-art devices and the internet, blogs, Tumblr, Twitter, Flickr, Wickr, Whathaveyou, the public as well as the media is in a tither over being the first to get "the shot" and yes, saturating the market might very well lessen the frenzy. Why not? What do the royals have to lose other than actually having to call somewhat of a truce with the media and with the public? If they manage to lessen the demand somewhat by a flow of photos, life might be more manageable for them. I'm not saying it will work, but I can't see why it shouldn't be given a try. Anything at this point is worth a shot because once the royal grape is born, all bets are off.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I think that this is a great idea, and would indeed cool the ardor for all things Cambridge baby, but I doubt that William and Catherine would go for it. They love and cherish their privacy, and would do all in their power to keep their child as far from the media as possible.
You'd think William would realize by now that he is never to get his wish and be treated as Will Middleton by the media.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I think you are right on the Diana effect. But I disagree that it was all Diana and the press; it was the public as well. Princess, press and public created an unholy alliance.

Although there was a media frenzy surrounding "Baby Betty" in the late 20's and then the two princesses of the 30's; but this was a more staid, dignified British frenzy. When Margaret Rose had a yellow raincoat, suddenly every little girl had one. So it was not simply Diana-generated, but for some reason the phenomenon involving her brought it all so over the top. When you think about it, Diana was the first "Cinderella" of the British family as media-driven myth; she was the first young woman to marry the heir. When the Queen Mother married in 1923, the whole idea of royal as celebrity had not yet been born - that came with the birth of her daughter, as I mentioned above.

So here we have Kate, only the second women since this phenomenon was created to be the Cinderella. And here we have the hysteria.

So while I first said, yes, it's the Diana effect, while typing, I realized there were far greater elements in play here.
Of course you're right about my omission of the essential component "the public" from the Diana Effect. I am again recalling that woman who was calling out to poor, bereaved, William that day outside KP when he and his brother were forced to undergo that hideous walkabout when they got back from Scotland. The public seemed to want those poor boys to comfort them. I'll never understand the mass hysteria we saw after Diana's death.

Diana was only a factor, but without her I don't think the phenomenon of Royalty as Celebrity, with its associated public demands, would have reached the heights, or depths, we now see.

I still don't understand it, mind you, because I just don't think they're that interesting.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Courtier

Some people just don"t seem to have a lot to do in their own lives. Too bad they live through the media. If they would develope a hobby and life for themselves it would help. Read a book, learn to play a musical intrument. Do charity work. knit or chrochet for charity. Make comforters for the poor. Work in soup kitchen.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

I think putting out ocassional photos would be a good idea, but I don't think saturating the media with staged photos would work. We live in an age where anyone can be a photographer, so while the press may back off, it wouldn't stop the twitter and tumblr users from taking/posting photos of Kate, William and their child (during a private day out).

Plus, I can already hear all the complaints about William and Kate using their child to generate good press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I still don't understand it, mind you, because I just don't think they're that interesting.
I don't think there is much to understand. People find different things interesting. There are tons of celebs, sports stars, politicians, movies, etc. that I'm not interested in, but others find fascinating. It is what it is.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Of course you're right about my omission of the essential component "the public" from the Diana Effect. I am again recalling that woman who was calling out to poor, bereaved, William that day outside KP when he and his brother were forced to undergo that hideous walkabout when they got back from Scotland. The public seemed to want those poor boys to comfort them. I'll never understand the mass hysteria we saw after Diana's death.

Diana was only a factor, but without her I don't think the phenomenon of Royalty as Celebrity, with its associated public demands, would have reached the heights, or depths, we now see.

No, none of them are that interesting, they are all rather ordinary. All Wizards of Oz.

As for William and Harry who were forced to be on parade by the public, including Mr. Blair it seems, yes, I agree. They are not seen as human beings. Someone out there likened modern royals to "circus animals," they exist for us to admire and to be entertained.

No, I'm NOT suggesting that they should be treated by circus animals, or circus performers if you find that analogy less offensive. But I prefer to state "circus animals" because the shock is necessary to force people to acknowledge what we have done to royalty in the modern age. We as the public at large think we own them, they are glorified pets who have no rights. Instead of the reverence afforded to them in years past (also misplaced) now we treat them as performers who come out, entertain us, and then go back to their cage. And the most appealing of the circus animals are the very young and the very old, and the ones who do the most tricks (Harry in Vegas, Fergie in general , Bea and Eugenie with their wardrobes).

What does this have to do with this baby and media?
Not only do we think, as a group in general, that this fetus is a newly anticipated addition to the circus act, and that we have a right to gawk at the right to gawk and laugh and cheer for it and boo and it moves across to the center ring, but on top of it, there are those who want to give it top billing at this circus as soon as it arrives, because of course it will sell more tickets.

Is the baby a human or a commodity? Are we all not a hybrid, and just projection such frustrations onto those we see as the highest echelons, the most privileged?

What kind of life will this baby have as such? As I recall the Dionnes quints were treated much the same as children, and I believe those still alive are recluses.

So while I don't think this baby's parents are all that, I do feel enormous sympathy for this baby, and some concern. Yes, I feel less sorry for it because unlike many children, it will never miss a meal and will receive medical care. But its childhood is a troubling prospect nevertheless.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Serene Highness

Long time since I last posted here. Really happy for the couple and I'm on #TeamGirl
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

What's superstition got to do with having a party for your baby? It's an American thing.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
What's superstition got to do with having a party for your baby? It's an American thing.
People who don't celebrate the birth of a child prior to the birth do so (sometimes) because of a superstition that something bad will happen.

It's the whole don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch thing.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If someone "upstairs" has got it in for you, having a party and receiving presents isn't going to do anything.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If someone "upstairs" has got it in for you, having a party and receiving presents isn't going to do anything.
#
it isn't funny, IMO

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-30-2013, 06:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Perhaps, but coming home from the hospital after something went wrong and seeing a pile of baby presents could only add to the parents grief. Anyway, joking about it seems a bit off to me.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
People who don't celebrate the birth of a child prior to the birth do so (sometimes) because of a superstition that something bad will happen.

It's the whole don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch thing.
Yes, my grandmother always warns me to not think too far ahead, or acknowledge things such as birthdays, weddings, and births before they occur. In Russian culture, it's a bad luck to celebrate before the event takes place.

Quote:
In the words of the old Russian proverb 'Heaven protects the cautious' (or something to that effect, since I'm not all that great with word-for-word translations). Sometimes it's good to just take a breath, and enjoy the 'now', and that can be a pregnancy, courtship/engagement, etc, instead of making plans for the future that has not yet taken place.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Well every woman I know under the age of 35 in the same circs has not had a baby shower. PResents when going on maternity leave from work but otherwise no. Maybe the women I know are more superstitious.

Same here, cepe. I know no-one who's had a baby shower. Gifts are still given after the baby is born where I am.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Nobility

I've never been wild about the whole idea of baby showers, because since the gifts are opened in the presence of all guests and even shown to everyone, stating who gave each one, there is a subtle implication that one must buy something at least impressive if not expensive, or be thought cheap by the other gift-givers. (Note the words "subtle implication".)
Old 03-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

There's always been the custom in America of giving baby showers prior to birth. We never considered it superstitious or pushing our luck by giving presents prior to the arrival of a baby, although showers are given late in term well past the risk stage. However some couples usually don't put a crib in the nursery until the birth is imminent in case something goes horribly wrong, but not everyone does this. They'll order a crib but not arrange for its delivery until a few days prior to birth. Why having a nursery crib too soon is considered a superstition but not a pre-birth baby shower is anyone's guess.

And nowadays with shower gift registries, people can purchase exactly what the expectant mother requests so there isn't any embarrassment by giving unwanted or unimpressive gifts.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Ni, it's a Jewish superstition. Plenty of my Jewish friends and in-laws will tell you all about it.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Ni, it's a Jewish superstition. Plenty of my Jewish friends and in-laws will tell you all about it.
I dont think its owned by one particular group - its a general superstition - originating from Gallus gallus domesticus who determined not to count their offspring before they were born

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
And nowadays with shower gift registries, people can purchase exactly what the expectant mother requests so there isn't any embarrassment by giving unwanted or unimpressive gifts.
Note I said "subtle implication", because I knew someone would have something to say about it. An expectant mother can list anything from a box of diapers to a highchair on a gift registry.

Tags
baby gifts, prince william and duchess of cambridge