Baby Cambridge: Musings and Suggestions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She would be completely alone. No family or close friends nearby and William working the series of 24 hour shifts.

It is not practical for her to join local mother and baby groups because of privacy issues. When you take on the royal family life, it can be isolating.

This is only for a short period so I don't really see why anyone would think it a problem.
I agree.

Although there is no proof, it is likely that many of the other BRF families had a maternity/baby nurse for a short while after the birth of their first babies. It's kind of the done thing to do in that strata of society.

I would hazard a guess that after the difficult birth of Louise, Sophie very likely had a baby nurse so that she could concentrate on bonding with her baby while she recovered.

Elenath said:
....As for the distance. They could take a plane... It's not that far...
I think I would see this as the perfect time to bond as a family without too many bystanders.
There are the postpartum doctor appointments to consider.

Additionally, while you certainly can take a newborn on a plane, pediatricians generally do not recommend that you do so in those first few weeks. Here's one link (there are many others) concerning this topic: http://www.parenting.com/article/ask-dr-sears-traveling-with-a-newborn

Last edited:
I don't think so. Military wives bond but with wives of the same "rank". This is certainly the case in the Uk in my experience. Catherine is in a difficult position in that privacy issues, top of Williams agenda, make it difficult for her to mix.

We haven't heard of any classes that most mums to be attend and if she had, we would know, never mind the pix.

She isn't the same as other military wives.

Many a military wife has ended up in a new location during pregnancy and not had time to forge those close bonds...you aren't going to want just anyone involved.

It's not like she's off in outer space, I'm sure she can cope quite well there in Wales like many other military wives have done for ages.

I never attended birthing classes either so I don't consider that to be anything unusual.

LaRae

I'm sure they will do it at some point, but right after the birth, Kate is going to be exhausted and recovering and figuring things out. It would be so hard to do a four hour drive in the first two weeks or so of the baby's life.

I disagree. Catherine is probably going to be tired and exhausted from giving birth, but the pair are going to be tired and exhausted for the majority of the rest of their lives. Plus a four hour drive with a baby that will more than likely sleep the entire way isn't that hard. Anglesey would give them the privacy they apparently "crave". Being in London is going to be a headache, and I bet they'll complain about it at some point. I understand Catherine going to stay with her parents, but the baby is going to be separated during the week, I assume, from its father which I disagree with in retrospect.

I disagree. Catherine is probably going to be tired and exhausted from giving birth, but the pair are going to be tired and exhausted for the majority of the rest of their lives. Plus a four hour drive with a baby that will more than likely sleep the entire way isn't that hard. Anglesey would give them the privacy they apparently "crave". Being in London is going to be a headache, and I bet they'll complain about it at some point. I understand Catherine going to stay with her parents, but the baby is going to be separated during the week, I assume, from its father which I disagree with in retrospect.

What about all of the doctor visits and stuff? Catherine will have post-partum visits, and the baby will have all of the early pediatrician visits. I just really think Anglesy would be a logistical nightmare for them. I understand completely why they looked at alternatives.

And even on Anglesy, the baby would be separated from its father because William works 24 hour shifts and has to stay on the base. I'd wager on his days off, he'll travel to be with Kate and the baby.

We're talking about the future King/Queen here, doctor visits, post partum visits, paediatrician visits can be made whereever this child is. This is one occasion where you could use your royal status to their advantage.

If William makes the 8 hour round trip on his day off, I'll be surprised. It makes more sense, in hindsight, for this baby to be in Anglesey, and have Carole, Pippa and the nanny that they will hire there with Catherine.

We're talking about the future King/Queen here, doctor visits, post partum visits, paediatrician visits can be made whereever this child is. This is one occasion where you could use your royal status to their advantage.

If William makes the 8 hour round trip on his day off, I'll be surprised. It makes more sense, in hindsight, for this baby to be in Anglesey, and have Carole, Pippa and the nanny that they will hire there with Catherine.

I'm sure that if that's what made the most sense and what they were most comfortable with, it's what they'd be doing.

Perhaps Uncle Gary is wrong and they do intend to do that, but honestly, I feel like whatever arrangements they choose to make will be the best ones for mom and baby and shouldn't be second guessed.

I doubt "sense" comes in to the argument in all honest, I think it has to do with what Catherine wants. She wants to be at her home, with her child.

I doubt "sense" comes in to the argument in all honest, I think it has to do with what Catherine wants. She wants to be at her home, with her child.

And what's wrong with that?

And what's wrong with that?

Because personally, I think what's best for the child should come first. Like I have previously said, everything can be arranged to happen in Anglesey and they can get that desired privacy. Not going to repeat myself again.

Because personally, I think what's best for the child should come first. Like I have previously said, everything can be arranged to happen in Anglesey and they can get that desired privacy. Not going to repeat myself again.

What's best for the mother IS what's best for the child. Trust me, that newborn baby will have no concept of the difference between being at their grandparents' house and being fed and put to sleep and being in Wales and being fed and put to sleep.

The way you've phrased it makes it sound like you think Kate is putting her own needs above those of her child, and that's ridiculous.

As far as I'm concerned, child birth is so personal and so intimate that every woman should get to define for herself what would make her most comfortable while she goes through it and in the weeks after when she's learning how to be a mother.

I'm also 100% positive that William and Kate know better than we do what's best for their child.

HRHHermione said:
What's best for the mother IS what's best for the child. Trust me, that newborn baby will have no concept of the difference between being at their grandparents' house and being fed and put to sleep and being in Wales and being fed and put to sleep.

The way you've phrased it makes it sound like you think Kate is putting her own needs above those of her child, and that's ridiculous.

As far as I'm concerned, child birth is so personal and so intimate that every woman should get to define for herself what would make her most comfortable while she goes through it and in the weeks after when she's learning how to be a mother.

I'm also 100% positive that William and Kate know better than we do what's best for their child.

Great post HRHHermione !

Last edited:
Plus a four hour drive with a baby that will more than likely sleep the entire way isn't that hard.
try ;)
and don't forget to take diapers and to wear proper dress for breast-feeding :whistling:

Last edited:
I raised three children, and I my mother and mother-in-law helped me a lot. The same goes for my daughter and daughter-in-law.

I doubt the Duchess of Cambridge will stay in Wales with the baby, she'll certainly stay with her mother, it's a natural thing to do.

And the Duke of Cambridge should quit his work on RAF, move to London and start to focus in his family and royal duties.

Sure, and then you'd hear shrieks of rage about how Kate is making the doctors come running to her, putting their own practices on hold and inconveniencing their other patients who need them just because she's royal and "using it to her advantage". Even I would get irritated at that.

Just let her stay near London to be near her family (and William's for that matter) and ease into the first few months of parenthood. I have no idea why *that* is such a hassle.

Ordinarily, a healthy newborn is seen in the hospital nursery by a pediatrician, or possibly by the pediatrician who will care for him going forward. The doc will usually see him/her at the two week mark. This is when the baby will be given a good looking-at to see if she's thriving. It's a good time for the parents to confirm that they are doing right by their little baby, and it's quite a milestone. So Catherine will certainly want to go to that first appointment. And she won't want to drive back to London/Berkshire from Wales in order to go. Flying with a child that young is not a good idea.

No one who has a newborn would want to make a several hour drive. Not all infants are lulled by car trips. And any woman who has just given birth does not want to be too far away from a bathroom.

How long is William's paternity leave? Most new dads have to 'put up' with their mothers-in-law for a while. So will he.

(If it is not the plan for her to stay with her parents, then things will be more complicated for them all. Too bad their new apartment won't be ready.)

(If it is not the plan for her to stay with her parents, then things will be more complicated for them all. Too bad their new apartment won't be ready.)

Yea, I'm sure they'd be much happier to be settled in their new apartment before the baby comes, but this is a good alternative option to deal with what will probably be a short time where they're a bit unsettled.

I see no problem with Kate moving in with her family for support. It really is her decision and what she is most comfortable with.

During her early pregnancy she went to stay with her parents. Maybe she feels more secure knowing she has family around.

William might not be comfortable with a new born. They both know their limitations so it is best to have an experienced person around and Kate might not be comfortable with a baby nurse.

When Laura had twin she went to stay with Camilla.

Ordinarily, a healthy newborn is seen in the hospital nursery by a pediatrician, or possibly by the pediatrician who will care for him going forward. The doc will usually see him/her at the two week mark. This is when the baby will be given a good looking-at to see if she's thriving. It's a good time for the parents to confirm that they are doing right by their little baby, and it's quite a milestone. So Catherine will certainly want to go to that first appointment. And she won't want to drive back to London/Berkshire from Wales in order to go. Flying with a child that young is not a good idea.

No one who has a newborn would want to make a several hour drive. Not all infants are lulled by car trips. And any woman who has just given birth does not want to be too far away from a bathroom.

How long is William's paternity leave? Most new dads have to 'put up' with their mothers-in-law for a while. So will he.

I agree, though some pediatricians want to see a newborn about 5 days after birth for a weight check especially if it is nursing. They want to see that the baby is gaining. (Can't estimate oz. consumed so the only way to guess if a nursing newborn is receiving enough nourishment is by counting the number of wet and soiled diapers.) If Baby C's pediatrician and Kate's ob/gyn are London based then Berkshire is closer than Anglesey. (Yes there are doctors in Wales, but the couple may prefer to stick with the ones who were with them in the hospital and are likely to continue as their primary physicians.)

As for William's paternity leave I'm not sure about the length of time given. Perhaps one of our UK posters knows the answer?

2 weeks paternity leave. He may be able to take holiday as well but only with permission from his commanding officer. However I think this is unlikely because of managing holidays across the squadron at the peak holiday time of the year.

The amount of separation forced upon them seems very odd to me since announcing the pregnancy. Yes, yes, HG and doctor visits and newborns and RAF and all that. Every tweet of her appears to be in London. And we know that Will is largely in Wales. And now there's going to be even more separation for the pivotal first six weeks of the baby's life. I suppose Will will be with them in Berkshire for the first two weeks during his paternity leave.

All of these forced separations must be very hard on a young couple, especially one expecting their first baby.

When does Will's employment with the RAF end? I know KP won't be ready until the fall.

There have actually been quite a few sightings of the two of them out and about (we know they were together over the Easter holiday and also a week or two ago, they were spotted out shopping in Anglesey).

Of course we will get more sightings of her in London, because of the paps and the general public. People pretty much leave them alone in Anglesey, so it's hard to truly gauge how often they are apart.

But I will say that in between sightings of her in London, they have been spotted together.

Last edited:
September seems to be the general consensus amongst the media

Is it me or is Kate pregnancy going quite quickly? :ohmy:

Last edited:
Is it me or is Kate pregnancy going faster than expected? :ohmy:

What do you mean? I do believe 9 months, give or take a bit, is pretty much exactly how long you'd expect a pregnancy (royal or otherwise) to go. If anything, I'd say that from a public perspective this pregnancy has lasted longer than most as it's typical for people to not announce a pregnancy until after the third month, while Catherine's was announced during the second month.

Personally, I feel like it's been a very long pregnancy because we were told so early.

Personally, I feel like it's been a very long pregnancy because we were told so early.
I feel the same as you, and this is quite like was with Victoria, because even though the circunstances were diferent from each other, Victoria had her pregnancy be announced a bit earlier than expected like Catherine, and it felt in my opinion, like ages for the baby to be born.

Well if you feel its a long time imagine how Catherine feels with all these months of people checking out the "baby bump" and analyzing its development and writing speculative stories about it.

Well if you feel its a long time imagine how Catherine feels with all these months of people checking out the "baby bump" and analyzing its development and writing speculative stories about it.

I'm not sure she realises what is really going on. I mean, we know that Diana read the papers and was even addicted to reading about herself. But we don't know if Catherine ever reads the Mail or other papers. She might well have asked the palace's press office to select those articles she might be interested in (or even send her complete parts like the arts pages of serious papers) and hand them to her, but omit all gossipy, speculative etc. stuff. She would be much happier that way, IMHO. of course she knows that people are interested in her pregnancy and in her health but she might not know about those silly comparisons to the Kardashians etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom