Baby Cambridge: Musings and Suggestions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there ever been a female monarch with a 'double' name? Willem Alexander and Juan Carlos I can think of, of course, but was there ever a Mary Elizabeth, or a Sarah Jane, or similar? I think I would remember, but...

There has never been an English/British (and I think even Scottish) monarch with a double name, regardless of gender.

We almost had a few, the closest being Albert Edward and Alexandrina Victoria, but both went with their second name instead. I believe Mary of Teck might have had two names prior to her husband's succession.

I can imagine that had she told the Linleys to choose a more suitable name that the 'suggestion', if you like that better than veto, would be ignored.

Setting aside the fact that neither the Linleys nor their children are HRHs, and their chance of coming to the throne is pretty much nil, what exactly is unsuitable about the names of their children?

Setting aside the fact that neither the Linleys nor their children are HRHs, and their chance of coming to the throne is pretty much nil, what exactly is unsuitable about the names of their children?

I've often wondered if their daughter was named after her grandmother or her grandmother's favorite drink..... :whistling:

I think there's a difference between suitability of the names of the HRH's (including James and Louise Wessex whose title is an enigma) and those who are not.

I've no doubt, as Brazilian Empire suggests that this baby will receive a traditional name. The most exotic we will get is Frederick or Adelaide.

I was thinking the same thing. Viscount Linley's children are named Charles and Margarite - perfectly suitable and lovely names.

To of their middle names may be a bit out of the box (Charles Patrick Inigo and Margarita Elizabeth Rose Alleyne), but certainly not unsuitable, especially for two people so far down the line of succession. Inigo was the name of a famous English architect, while Alleyne is a beautiful old German name meaning "precious".

I've no doubt, as Brazilian Empire suggests that this baby will receive a traditional name. The most exotic we will get is Frederick or Adelaide.
You never know, maybe William and Kate will go for Aelgifu, Aelfthryth or Aethelflaed? Or Sigrid. Or may personal favourite - Ealdgyth. All perfectly traditional with roots in the Royal Family history (all names of previous Queens Consort). :whistling:

Jokes aside, I would also love Emma as a name of a possible daughter, although not the first-born one. Emma of Normandy is one of my favourite historical characters.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have bothered to reply to that post if I didn't think you said something in error.

Oh my God. Did you bothered to read the entire paragraph?

I said "Queen regnants, or after a successful Queen consort." Then, I listed names of reigning Queens and Queens consorts.

Try to read with more attention next time.

Last edited:
Not to offend anyone But if it a girl I hope they do not name it after Diana! I have heard people's say the thing and I have too agree. I can see it as a middle name but not as a first name. I know Diana was very much loved, had lot of people's who worshipped her and is William Mother and is the Baby late Grandmother but I can't see them naming it after Diana and one of the reasons is that the future daughter would be continually compared to her Grandmother Diana! Also since it will be Third in Line and the first born They will go with a traditnal British Royal Name since it will be the Furture King or Queen. If Diana is not a middle name then they could name the second or third one after Diana as the further away from the throne the more freedom they have.

I said this before but If It a Girl I think they will name it Victoria or Elizabeth and if it a Boy it will be George or Edward. Those have been the most popular names in the Royal Family from last 300 Years Along with William, Anne, Charlotte, Arthur, Albert, Margaret, Beatrice.

Last edited:
I have never expresses that I hope Diana isn't use as a name before, this is one of the reasons I hope they are having a boy. I do not dislike or hate Diana but I am tired of the worship of her.

It's sad that tr name is going to have to be boring, an Alexandrina or Victoria would be a nice change while at the same time being historical.

Last edited:
You never know, maybe William and Kate will go for Aelgifu, Aelfthryth or Aethelflaed? Or Sigrid. Or may personal favourite - Ealdgyth. All perfectly traditional with roots in the Royal Family history (all names of previous Queens Consort). :whistling:

That's it, I am now definitely rooting for Aelfthryth if it's a girl :p

I said "Queen regnants, or after a successful Queen consort." Then, I listed names of reigning Queens and Queens consorts.

Try to read with more attention next time.

I read it as if you listed the Queen consorts too, but what does it matter? Now we know what you meant.

I seldom play the guessing game, because it'll be what it'll be. But if we're going to play around with Aelgifu, Aelfthryth or Aethelflaed, I'm going to hope for Boudica. She wasn't a queen, but close enough. :lol:

Yes she was - Queen of the Iceni

Sorry, I meant Queen of England specifically.

She is the earliest "queen" I know about, and she took on the Romans and won. I dont think William is a history buff so its probably not on the cards! Great idea tho'

Yes I did, and someone else further down thread apparently read it the same way I did, so if you'd like to kindly tell them to read better next time, that'll be swell. I knew what you meant, I was merely pointing out you worded it wrong.

Last edited:
I had a real life Ethelwyn in my family, an aunt. Her parents were immigrants to the USA from England and Scotland. Could have been spelled Aethelwyn, but wasn't. I don't know the history, if any, of the name, but I like it.

I don't think those names have chances.

Princess Ethelrose, or Princess Ethelwyn, doesn't sound very good.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but this is not the thread for names. You are missing an interesting discussion on the thread potential names and godparents.
I don't know how to do a direct link, sorry. :flowers:

If you want to go back a long way .....
Frideswide was not a queen, but she was a princess and also a saint :D

I like Emma; it's a lovely name and that of the queen married to Aethelred the Unready and Cnut.

I already know how this child was conceived. I had that talk with my parents when I was much younger than I am now. I would assume most people in the world know how the baby came to be, at least if they have any working knowledge of human anatomy.

I know what you mean.

Its always been a pet peeve of mine even before the wedding of Will and Kate. Calling The Duchess of Cornwall "Parker-Bowles" never sat right with me. Unfortunately, it looks like something we'll have to grin and bear with as the media doesn't go in much for proper addresses. Even the President of the United States is simply "Obama". :)

I totally agree. She is now known as HRH Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor, The Duchess of Cambridge.

Actually, she's not. Mountbatten-Windsor is reserved as a surname for male-line descendents of the Queen who do NOT have a title. As Catherine has a title, she is merely HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. She has no last name anymore.

She might not technically be Mountbatten-Windsor - owing to the fact that as a member of the royal family she doesn't have a surname - but she does have the right to use Mountbatten-Windsor when she needs to use a surname. Other individuals in the BRF, including William, have done so at various times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom