The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Aristocracy

it MUST be true (kate having a 'daughter') as all three main New Zealand women's weeklies say it is – blaring it out in super large type on their front covers, with suitably happy pic of Kate. And of course, those women's weeklies are NEVER wrong...

Old 03-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Actually, she is right - although I did read what she wrote wrong the first time too.

Lord Frederick and Prince Charles are second cousins, therefore Lord Frederick and Prince William are second cousins once removed (William's a level bellow Frederick).

William and Baby Windsor are third cousins, therefore Baby Cambridge and Baby Windsor are third cousins once removed. When Baby Windsor has a child, he/she will be fourth cousins to Baby Cambridge.
Down here that means they all can marry when they're about 15 or so.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
The degree of cousins' relationship is determines by the number of generations to their closest common ancestor. If the cousins do not belong to the same generation (descended from the same ancestor), then they are "removed".

For instance, let's take the ancestries of William and Lord Frederick:
George V -> George VI -> Elizabeth II -> Prince Charles -> Prince William
George V -> Prince George, Duke of Kent -> Prince Michael of Kent -> Lord Frederick Windsor

We can see that:
- Elizabeth II and Prince Michael of Kent are first cousins (since their parents were brothers).
- Prince Charles and Lord Frederick Windsor are second cousins (since they are two-generation descendants of George V).
- Prince William and Lord Frederick's future child will be third cousins (since they are three-generation descendants of George V).
- Prince William's child and Lord Frederick's child will not, however, be in the same generation (William's child will be four-generation descendant of George V, while Frederick's child will be three-generation descendant), so they will be "removed" once, that is to say third cousins once removed.

Hope that answers your question.
Thank you! I've always been confused by this. Now it makes sense to me.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Down here that means they all can marry when they're about 15 or so.
I beg your pardon?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
I beg your pardon?
My apologies. The age of consent in Georgia is in fact 16. Sorry for the discrepancy.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I beg your pardon?
It's a "southerners marry cousins" joke.

Kind of tasteless if you think about it; HM married her first cousin when she was 21....
Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Kind of tasteless if you think about it; HM married her first cousin when she was 21....
First cousin? I thought he was her 3rd cousin

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

First cousin?
Ah, typo. Something-cousin.

It was Victoria who married her first cousin. And George V, I believe.

Thanks for the correction, muchly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Why is it tasteless? It's legal here in Georgia, and in many states, both Southern and Northern

The Queen did indeed marry her cousin What is their degree of consanguinity?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Why is it tasteless? It's legal here in Georgia, and in many states, both Southern and Northern

3rd cousins

Old 03-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I meant the joke, not the act.

Marrying cousins is also legal here, actually.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I meant the joke, not the act.

Marrying cousins is also legal here, actually.
I still don't understand why you would consider it tasteless to joke around that these two children might fall in love one day and marry - much like HM and the D of E, and when most jurisdictions recognize its legality.

If the act is not tasteless, why would the joke be tasteless?

When it was first suggested that Phillip marry Elizabeth, whenever that was, was that in poor taste?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I still don't understand why you would consider it tasteless to joke around that these two children might fall in love one day and marry - much like HM and the D of E, and when most jurisdictions recognize its legality.

If the act is not tasteless, why would the joke be tasteless?

When it was first suggested that Phillip marry Elizabeth, whenever that was, was that in poor taste?
I said nothing about the taste of cousins marrying cousins.

I said that a joke about how southerners marry their cousins is a tasteless joke, because despite the fact that you're so quick to defend the taste of cousins marrying, the joke in itself implies that the act is tasteless and that southerners are tasteless for doing so.

My point was that HM has married her (3rd) cousin, and is not typically considered tasteless for having done so, nor is she from the American South. Therefore the joke that is based on the idea that southerners are beneath others because they marry their cousins (and at a young age) is, in my opinion, rather tasteless, especially when you consider that it's being made at the expense of a family that is not southern or tasteless, but does have a rather long history of marrying cousins.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Ah, typo. Something-cousin.

It was Victoria who married her first cousin. And George V, I believe.

Thanks for the correction, muchly appreciated.

George V started out wanting to marry his 1t cousin but didn't. Princess MAy of Teck was his 2nd cousin, once removed.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

There's too many cousins, however removed, when it comes to royals....
Old 03-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

I said that a joke about how southerners marry their cousins is a tasteless joke, because despite the fact that you're so quick to defend the taste of cousins marrying, the joke in itself implies that the act is tasteless and that southerners are tasteless for doing so.

My point was that HM has married her (3rd) cousin, and is not typically considered tasteless for having done so, nor is she from the American South. Therefore the joke that is based on the idea that southerners are beneath others because they marry their cousins (and at a young age) is, in my opinion, rather tasteless, especially when you consider that it's being made at the expense of a family that is not southern or tasteless, but does have a rather long history of marrying cousins.
Precisely. I'm from the American South so I knew what was being inferred. It's insulting and just perpetuates the stereotype that Southerners are stupid, backwoods, inbred idiots. I've had it, quite frankly. There are so many wonderful things about where I'm from but no one ever hears them because of the continued belief we're a living representation of "Deliverance".
Old 03-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Courtier

Actually everbody has cousins, 2nd cousins, 3rd cousins and the one removed ones. If you study genealogy it becomes crystal clear. I got into it when I tried to sort out my husbands family. His Mother's Dad was married 3 times and there were a total of 23 children. His Mothers Grandmother was married twice. His Mother was married twice. When you put it all down on paper, it all makes sense, but I found it confusing. If you are interested, I recommend Ancestry.com as a good place to start.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Precisely. I'm from the American South so I knew at was being inferred. It's insulting and just perpetuates the stereotype that Southerners are stupid, backwoods, inbred idiots. I've had it, quite frankly. There are so many wonderful things about where I'm from but no one ever hears them because of the continued belief we're a living representation of "Deliverance".
Perhaps but some of the funniest jokes I have ever heard on the subject, and that definitely perpetuate the stereotype, are told by southerners themselves. Some southern comedians have made pretty successful careers out of it.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Oh, good Lord. When you're next in Georgia, look me up. I'll show you around!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:38 AM
Nobility

I chuckled at some of the suggestions referred to the lineage discussions including our chosen Will the wombat and his trusty traits that he shares with generations ago where the height and color of pigmentation of green or blue eyes, blond or red hair marveled the people and the expectation in one's head of notoriety upon us time and again until now. I enjoyed partaking in the threads and inscribes of you lately and find it easy to spend entertained moments here where otherwise I would be left clueless about many inclusions that I can't come up with. So thanks for so much. As the song goes, it's good to be a king. Will definitely understands this I believe. I enjoy reading. So cheers to him and all of us.

Tags
baby gifts, prince william and duchess of cambridge