The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:26 AM
Nobility

Well we know male-pattern baldness is inherited from the mother's side! I don't know if anyone on Kate's side is bald on top. I know Philip and Edward are, and I think Charles, William and Andrew's hair lines are receding too. Anne is so lucky; I bet looking at her brothers and her father made her glad she was born a girl!

Old 03-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Royal Highness

I'm expecting them to release the weight and lenght along with the baby's name when is born. I think that's pretty normal for European Royals (especially when giving birth to heirs) to release that information when their children are born. (only the Danish royals release names on the Christening day, but the weight and lenght are announced on the day the baby is born).

I don't know if this is allowed but if it's not, please delete as I will speculate.
I say the baby will be born with 3,350 kg (7,3lbs. 7.7 ounces) and 52 cm (20.4 inches).

Old 03-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Courtier

Lord and Lady Frederick Windsor to Welcome First Child in August | Artemisia's Royal Den

Regarding the other Royal baby due in August, how are these 2 babies related?
Old 03-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Serene Highness

I forget who are Fredrick's parents....
Old 03-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
Lord and Lady Frederick Windsor to Welcome First Child in August | Artemisia's Royal Den

George V had several sons; one, George VI fathered Elizabeth II, who is the grandmother to Prince William, and the great-grandmother to the Cambridge Baby. Another, Prince George, Duke of Kent, fathered Prince Michael of Kent, who fathered Lord Frederick Windsor, the father of the Windsor Baby.

So, George VI and the Duke of Kent were brothers, Elizabeth II and Prince Michael are cousins, Prince Charles and Lord Frederick are second cousins, and Prince William and Baby Windsor are third cousins, making Baby Cambridge and Baby Windsor third cousins, once removed.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post

Both the future Cambridge baby and the son of Lord Frederick will be respectively a great-great-great-grandchild and great-great-grandchild of George V (heir closest common ancestor), meaning they will be 3rd cousins once removed.

George V -> George VI -> Elizabeth II -> Prince Charles -> Prince William -> William's child
George V -> Prince George, Duke of Kent -> Prince Michael of Kent -> Lord Frederick Windsor -> Lord Fredrick's child
Old 03-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Nobility

please explain once or 3rd removed
Old 03-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
3rd Cousins once removed means;
The third cousin refers to the number of generations one is from the common ancestor. The once removed part is a generational statement in that it describes how many generations your cousin is from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I forget who are Fredrick's parents....
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent. Prince Michael is cousin to the Queen.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Think of it like a pyramid, with the common ancestor at the top, and a new level for each interceding ancestor. If you and someone else are on the same level there's no removal; you and your first cousins (the children of your parents' siblings) are on the same level, 2 below your grandparents. Your cousin's children, however, are a level below you, they're once removed, and their children would be another level below, or twice removed.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
The degree of cousins' relationship is determines by the number of generations to their closest common ancestor. If the cousins do not belong to the same generation (descended from the same ancestor), then they are "removed".

For instance, let's take the ancestries of William and Lord Frederick:
George V -> George VI -> Elizabeth II -> Prince Charles -> Prince William
George V -> Prince George, Duke of Kent -> Prince Michael of Kent -> Lord Frederick Windsor

We can see that:
- Elizabeth II and Prince Michael of Kent are first cousins (since their parents were brothers).
- Prince Charles and Lord Frederick Windsor are second cousins (since they are two-generation descendants of George V).
- Prince William and Lord Frederick's future child will be third cousins (since they are three-generation descendants of George V).
- Prince William's child and Lord Frederick's child will not, however, be in the same generation (William's child will be four-generation descendant of George V, while Frederick's child will be three-generation descendant), so they will be "removed" once, that is to say third cousins once removed.

Hope that answers your question.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Majesty

Kate's expectations of motherhood:
Kate's expectations of motherhood | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

If baldness is inherited from the mother why is William bald? I believe Diana's brother still has all his hair. Also Williams's bald spot is in the same place as his fathers.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 03-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Royal Highness

^None of the men from my family are bald, both my maternal and faternal grandfathers are not bald and my uncle is not bald, yet my father is bald. He is obssessed with taking shower, excessive amount of water can saturate the root of the hair, because we need to create a certain oil in the head that keeps the root of the hair strong. Of course it not applies to everyone, but my father is bald because of that (I am talking about a lot of years, my father obssession started as a teen, by 29 years old he was almost bald). Not all men are bald because of genetics.

So that means Prince William is a second cousin once removed of Lord Frederick Windsor?
And that the future child of Lord Frederik's unborn child will be fourth cousin of the Cambridge's baby?

If I'm correct on both of my questions, then I understood the matter of "once removed", because I didn't quite understand as well.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

No post #505 explains it very well. Charles and Frederick are 2nd cousins - its generations that count, not relative age.

Have another look at that post by Ish

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
If baldness is inherited from the mother why is William bald? I believe Diana's brother still has all his hair. Also Williams's bald spot is in the same place as his fathers.
Baldness is connected to a recessive gene linked to the X chromosome. Typically speaking, women are XX and men are XY; therefore in order for a woman to show a recessive trait linked to the X chromosome she has to have it linked to both her X chromosomes, but for a man to show it he only has to have it linked to his 1 X chromosome.

Diana received 1 of her mother's X chromosomes (out of a possible 2) and her father's only X chromosome. Charles Spencer received 1 of his mother's X chromosomes (also out of a possible 2) and his father's only Y chromosome. Likewise, William and Harry each received 1 X chromosome (still out of a possible 2) from Diana and the only Y from their father.

Assuming that William's baldness is genetic there are still a few things were don't know:
1. Which X chromosome Frances Spencer gave to Charles and which one she gave to Diana (was it the same one or two different ones?)
2. Which X chromosome Diana gave to William and Harry (once again, were they the same or different, and did they come from her father or her mother)
3. Which of Diana's X chromosomes (the one from her mother or the one from her father) contained the bald gene

The indication is that the X chromosome Charles Spencer received did not contain the bald gene, so if he and Diana received the same one from their mother then the bald gene comes from the late John Spencer. I don't think the late John Spencer was bald, which would indicate that Diana received a different X chromosome from her mother than her brother received.

Looking at the different hairlines of William and Harry, we can then say that they each received a different X chromosome from their mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
So that means Prince William is a second cousin once removed of Lord Frederick Windsor?
And that the future child of Lord Frederik's unborn child will be fourth cousin of the Cambridge's baby?

If I'm correct on both of my questions, then I understood the matter of "once removed", because I didn't quite understand as well.
Yes, you're right.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post

Lord Frederick's child and William's child will be third cousins once removed. William and Frederick are second cousins once removed, possibly.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

No post #505 explains it very well. Charles and Frederick are 2nd cousins - its generations that count, not relative age.

Have another look at that post by Ish
Actually, she is right - although I did read what she wrote wrong the first time too.

Lord Frederick and Prince Charles are second cousins, therefore Lord Frederick and Prince William are second cousins once removed (William's a level bellow Frederick).

William and Baby Windsor are third cousins, therefore Baby Cambridge and Baby Windsor are third cousins once removed. When Baby Windsor has a child, he/she will be fourth cousins to Baby Cambridge.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you, now I understand it fully, that's because in portuguese we have other terms, so that made me a bit confused about the "once removed" thing.

What I wrote wrong was about baldness? I'm not an expert about genetics (though I find it fascinating), but what I was saying is that not all people who are bald came through genetics, some baldness can happen with other natural causes (disease, stress, and has I stated above, some excessive abuse of the root of the hair which leads to baldness...)
Old 03-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Courtier

Earl John Spencer was bald and had a receding hairline. Just look around the 2 minute mark (from Charles and Diana wedding)
Old 03-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Earl John Spencer was bold and had a receding hairline. Just look around the 2 minute mark (from Charles and Diana wedding)
Thanks! I did know he had a receding hair line. He did have more hair though, than William.

Tags
baby gifts, prince william and duchess of cambridge