The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Majesty

Good point GracieGiraffe. William himself specifically referred to her as "Kate" in their engagement interview.

Also, she was in the news and identified as William's girlfriend for close to a decade before they finally married, more than twice as long as any current Royal spouse. For all that time the press and public knew her as "Kate Middleton". For better or for worse, that is how she has become set in the minds of much of the public.

It's pretty difficult after ten years to switch gears to another name. It might yet happen, but it will probably take a long time.

Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Supposedly Kate and William are back at Kensington Place.

scobie ‏@_mio: for those asking about will + kate's whereabouts. they're 100% at nott cott #kensingtonpalace. several sources have confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
...What gets me is this line: "If the Duchess gives birth in the middle of the night no announcement is likely to be made until the Queen has woken, as *sources* said they *did not expect* her to be woken up specially to be told the news."
Yeah, that line made me question it as well. I think you're right about it depending on the mood of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
Yes, that is what I meant. If the baby came very quickly. Unlikely, but it can happen of course.
Gotcha! That's very true. Babies are unpredictable. I read a story recently about a woman giving birth right at the entrance of the hospital. There wasn't even enough time for her to go inside.

Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
...She will be Catherine Middleton in history books
I notice that you are using the name Catherine which I am sure most of us on the forum ARE used to. As for the surname Middleton I don't agree that it will stay with her forever. At the moment I blame the arrogant media for still referring to her as 'Kate Middleton', but that will change in the near future after the baby's birth. She will then be the mother of the third in line to the throne which I am sure will earn her much more respect with the media.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
...The media will continue to call her Kate Middleton for a simple reason; name recognition. Name recognition leads to clicks on an article, and hence more money.
You raise a good point, but to counter I'll just point out that some papers - like the Telegraph - do appear to call her Duchess of Cambridge, or the Duchess, throughout their articles instead of Kate Middleton, without much detriment. They have "Kate Middleton" links and tags to attract those who search for that name, but the actual articles are about the Duchess.

I think the general Catherine/Kate thing is mostly just a personal preference - if she goes by both, then we can call her both. It's the Middleton that bugs me.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Courtier

Yes, William has referred to her as Kate, doesn't mean the media has to use it. I have never seen QE2 referred to as "Queen Cabbage".
Old 07-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Nobility

It gets particularly silly and confusing when they use both, as if "the Duchess of Cambridge" and "Kate Middleton" are two different people.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Serene Highness

True she was kate middleton but upon marriage to her prince she became Catherine,duchess of cambridge and that's how she's known now so idk why people still call her kate middleton. Please let's just call her by her proper title. Damn press
Old 07-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Aristocracy

The one magazine that wrecks my head, by constantly referring Catherine as Kate Middleton is UsWeekly. Never the Duchess Of Cambridge,and no matter how many times you correct them, they never change it!!
Old 07-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
True she was kate middleton but upon marriage to her prince she became Catherine,duchess of cambridge and that's how she's known now so idk why people still call her kate middleton. Please let's just call her by her proper title. Damn press
She became HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. To call her Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge implies that she is divorced.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolbabe View Post
The one magazine that wrecks my head, by constantly referring Catherine as Kate Middleton is UsWeekly. Never the Duchess Of Cambridge,and no matter how many times you correct them, they never change it!!
I wonder how much of it is based on where the papers are published. I.E. a British paper is more likely to use Duchess of Cambridge at least part of the time because they're more used to titles, while a US one is more likely to use just Kate Middleton because they aren't as versed in titles and view her more as a celebrity than anything - it's very common for female celebrities to continue working using their maiden name after marriage.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Majesty

USWeekly is the lowest of the low tabloids and should be avoided at all costs. It makes The National Enquirer seem like National Geographic in comparison, seriously...the headlines and stories are stupid beyond belief!
Old 07-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I...they view her more as a celebrity than anything - it's very common for female celebrities to continue working using their maiden name after marriage.
They obviously don't see her as a Royal then!
Old 07-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I wonder how much of it is based on where the papers are published. I.E. a British paper is more likely to use Duchess of Cambridge at least part of the time because they're more used to titles, while a US one is more likely to use just Kate Middleton because they aren't as versed in titles and view her more as a celebrity than anything - it's very common for female celebrities to continue working using their maiden name after marriage.
This is extremely important. The line between Royalty and celebrity has become so blurred, particularly here in the US, as to become almost nonexistent. This has been true for many years here, and perhaps it began with Diana.

William, Kate and Harry are all viewed by both press and public as much celebrities as they are Royal. There is none of the mystique-and with it the respect-that used to automatically be conferred on members of the BRF. The only exceptions are the Queen and the DoE.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Regarding not waking the Queen... if the Queen knows this baby is coming, she won't be getting any sleep as it is. Also, once people reach a certain age, most don't sleep 8 straight hours all night, their sleep patterns become a little more erratic.

I would say that the no announcement between 11 pm and 9 am or thereabouts is more for the well being of all of the other hospital patients who need some sleep - when the announcement is made, outside the hospital might sound like a sporting event.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Serene Highness

I agree ...I think the timing of the announcement limited to 9am-11pm is to limit, curb the crowds and noise at 2am....go home, go to sleep...come back at the light of day. The queen very well may be wakened, but no announcement will be made publicly on the infamous easel at BP until a civilized time. BP knows what it is doing, the is not their first rodeo.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Courtier

As I have said before the Royals are seen by most of the U.S media as 'Celebrity' of sort more then anything compared to the British Media obviously. And I don't know if had always been that way (meaning pre Diana) or if was not until Diana that it became that way and they became to be seen as more Like Celebrities by the media and Americans, the line between Hollywood and Royalty has been more blurred by U.S tabloids which bugs me. I ignore US Weekly at all cost! They are trash and a bunch of tosh and have no clue. They don't know anything And their headlines are false and lot of inaccuracies in their stories and headlines. They on the same level as the globe and the national enquirer in my opinion and should not be Believe. I learn that during the Whole Brad Pitt-Jennifer Aniston thing. On the Name thing, Only the Middleton things bugs me more then Kate really but she is not Kate Middleton and I wish the Media would stop referring to her as Kate Middleton which I know it had a lot more Familiarity then Duchess Cambridge or Catherine in the U.S but she is not Kate Middleton and again it the magazines that refer to her as that which I realize peoples will more likely click on a story then. The Morning Shows and Entertainment Shows are a lot better when it comes to the name thing. But after years of dating and being known as Kate Middleton could see where It could be hard to get use too but they have been married for. Two years now. And William did call Catherine 'Kate' during the engagement which is probably a nickname and it can be short for Catherine.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Commoner

Maybe the discussions about Kate / Catherine's names might be better moved to a more relevant thread?
Old 07-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Commoner

Is anyone else having problems getting to pg. 173? Every time I click on it, it sends me back to pg. 172.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Majesty

Yes! I had to refresh my server several times-
Old 07-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Yes! I had to refresh my server several times-
Well, now there's only 172 pages, so I dunno what's going on.

Closed Thread

Tags
baby gifts, prince william and duchess of cambridge