The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but when The Queen Dies and Charles become wont William and Catherine become automatically the Prince and Princess of Wales?
No, when Charles comes to the throne, William & Catherine will gain the title of The Duke & Duchess of Cornwall. Charles will have to grant William the title of Prince of Wales.

I hope there will be a formal ceremony in Wales in the future.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
No need to beat anyone up over commenting on the activity going on in front of the hospital. It may be routine, but not everyone knows that and at some point it will be the real deal. The same with twitter posts. Not all of us have access to the monitor or twitter which will be the first indicators of something really going on....when it eventually happens
anyone can access twitter. I don not have an account but I can read all twitter accounts unless someone has limited the availability. so I do check Richard Palmer, Victoria Arbiter, BBC, etc.

I can't respond either, but I just use it for the latest news.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for that info on twitter access.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
She is only Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge if she is divorced. While married her name "Catherine" will never appear in her title until she becomes Queen Consort. Until that that time she has only the female version of her husbands titles.
Thanks for correcting me on this! She should thus be referred to as the Duchess of Cambridge in media reports, correct? At any rate, not as Kate Middleton!
Old 07-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Commoner

It can be confusing understanding how to address a royal. I definitely think the media should stop addressing her by her maiden name. Not sure why they continue to call her Kate Middleton.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Nobility

Just a thought: in the media, there have been suggestions that Prince Charles or Harry should take over the kingdom of Romania, who currently has a president, but has had a monarchy until the communists took over the country in 1945. The royal British house is related to the former Romanian one in more than one way, actually it turns out one of the former Romanian king was the actual cousin of Charles great-great-grandfather or so (around 1700).

With the birth of this new prince, the line to inherit the throne seems to become extremely long. I do not see all of the successors reigning GB.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Aristocracy

Regardless of title, I agree that calling her Catherine (her proper name) instead of Kate (nickname) would be nice.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Serene Highness

She will be Middleton all her life
She will be Catherine Middleton in history books
as Catherine of Valois, Catherine of Aragon, Catherine Howard, Catherine Parr Catherine of Braganza
Old 07-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie View Post
...there have been suggestions that Prince Charles or Harry should take over the kingdom of Romania...
...the line to inherit the [British] throne seems to become extremely long. I do not see all of the successors reigning GB.
Not sure what you are getting at here or how it involved baby Cambridge. There are more than 1000 people in the line of succession to the British throne so of course the odds of anyone outside of the direct line ever coming to the throne is extremely thin. Not sure why you mention the Roumanians, but they have their own royal line which today is the Kings daughter Margarita and his grandson Prince Nicholas, so there is no need to import a foreigner should their throne ever be restored.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPWillie View Post
Regardless of title, I agree that calling her Catherine (her proper name) instead of Kate (nickname) would be nice.
I believe calling her Katie or Kate or Kate Middleton brings her down to the "commoner" level she was born into. I do not see it as disrespectful, just a familiarity that makes the monarchy even more popular.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
She will be Catherine Middleton in history books
There's a difference - and it's not a guarantee that she'll be referred to as Catherine Middleton in history books. Women are referred to by both their married and maiden names in history books, it varies by woman.

The reason why she is still called Kate Middleton in papers is because it's what generates more search hits. It is, in my opinion, disrespectful as she has indicate that she wants to be known as Catherine, not Kate, and Duchess of Cambridge, not Kate Middleton. Given as online articles have the ability to use tags which can generate search hits I don't see why they don't just refer to her by her proper name and title in an article and just include Kate Middleton in the tags.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:59 PM
Aristocracy

Thank u frelinghighness. Very kind of you. I have a lovely surgeon who seems very competent.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Not sure what you are getting at here or how it involved baby Cambridge. There are more than 1000 people in the line of succession to the British throne so of course the odds of anyone outside of the direct line ever coming to the throne is extremely thin. Not sure why you mention the Roumanians, but they have their own royal line which today is the Kings daughter Margarita and his grandson Prince Nicholas, so there is no need to import a foreigner should their throne ever be restored.
I wouldn't call it an "import", as all royal houses are blood-related. The Romanian one is blood-related to the British one: queen Mary of Romania was a cousin of the Queen Mother. The ousted king of Romania (Michael), still living, has had 5 daughters, no sons. And the speculation regarding putting one of the current British princes on a restored Romanian throne was mostly brought on by the frequent visits of Charles (and Harry) in Romania. Prince Charles -and Harry, for that matter - are far more popular in Romania than Prince Nicholas, who's seen as a dandy.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Do you have a source to support the claim that there's support for Charles or Harry to become King of Romania over a restoration of Michael?
Old 07-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Do you have a source to support the claim that there's support for Charles or Harry to become King of Romania over a restoration of Michael?
This is just the first one that appeared in my google search. There's others:

Prince Charles could become king... of ROMANIA after revealing he is related to Vlad the Impaler | Mail Online
Old 07-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Courtier

Sorry but since when is MailOnline a reliable source?
Real Sources like The Times, BBC, etc. never reported it.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Sorry but since when is MailOnline a reliable source?
I believe my initial post said "speculation in the media". I am not sure what exactly - short of a Buckingham Palace announcement - can be called reliable in this case.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Aristocracy

Besides it wouldn't make sense to have them become monarchs of a country that still has living members of their royal family.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

William has referred to his wife as both Catherine and Kate. I'm thinking in particular of the engagement interview, where he refers to her as "Kate."

The media will continue to call her Kate Middleton for a simple reason; name recognition. Name recognition leads to clicks on an article, and hence more money.

Case in point is my 12 year old son. A local radio station mentioned Kate Middleton the other day and the royal baby, and he interrupted, asking "who is Kate married to again?" I was surprised that he even vaguely knew who she was, but he does know and has enough interest in her to realize that she and her baby are important, hence he inquired about the story. He's really a fairly good example of John Q. Public. Had he seen an article about Kate Middleton, he would probably click on it, scan the first paragraph or two, look at the photos and move on. I'm fairly sure that if he had seen the same article on "Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge" even with her photo, he'd pass it by without a second thought. Point is, we royal watchers will always click on an article on the royals, no matter what the headline says. The general public won't.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post

I'm not sure if this is official, but The Telegraph says that the Queen won't be woken up. I don't know though. I would think she would want to know as soon as Kate gives birth.
I would usually say that the Telegraph is pretty reliable, but there's a few points that make me question the reliability here.

What gets me is this line: "If the Duchess gives birth in the middle of the night no announcement is likely to be made until the Queen has woken, as *sources* said they *did not expect* her to be woken up specially to be told the news."

We haven't been informed what sources have said this, so we don't know how valid their information is. They're also not saying that the Queen won't be woken, just that the unidentified sources don't expect her to be woken. I wouldn't necessarily rule out that HM isn't going to be woken. I still think whether or not she, or the DoE for that matter, is woken is going to depend on the mood of the day.

Closed Thread

Tags
baby gifts, prince william and duchess of cambridge