Baby Cambridge: Musings and Suggestions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Phew! Tempest in a teapot! that's over, for now, I hope. But we thought of a lot of extra D-names.

A question to people here that have more knowledge of William & Catherine genes (through their parents..etc...). What are the probabilities of this baby bein' born with blue/green/brown eyes and blonde/auburn/brown hair?
I always find genes the most interesting^^

I think the child will likely be blonde as there are many blondes on William's side (Philip, Anne, Edward, Peter, Zara, William, Louise and Savannah to name a few in the "immediate" line up) as well as his mother's side. Zara was very blonde until an older age but she now of course dyes her hair, but Louise has got very blonde hair for a 9.5 year old as most children's blonde hair fades, as William's did though I think he inherited his hair colour from his mother.

As I hope it's a girl, when I try to imagine her, she's always looks like Catherine.

She'll be a wonderfully beautiful Queen. Her Prince Consort will be a very lucky man.

Sadly, that whole 'd' thing probably won't be the last of the hoopla before the baby is born. The entire thing in general was blown out of proportion.

But, there are people on twitter who didn't believe her when she said she didn't know...so they should just be excited about how much shes going to grow between now and July.

Molly2101 said:
I think the child will likely be blonde as there are many blondes on William's side (Philip, Anne, Edward, Peter, Zara, William, Louise and Savannah to name a few in the "immediate" line up) as well as his mother's side. Zara was very blonde until an older age but she now of course dyes her hair, but Louise has got very blonde hair for a 9.5 year old as most children's blonde hair fades, as William's did though I think he inherited his hair colour from his mother.

Anne isn't blonde; she's dark brown. But she did have blonde hair when she was young.

Anne isn't blonde; she's dark brown. But she did have blonde hair when she was young.

That is what I am referring to as Peter is not blonde anymore, nor is Edward but both men had striking blonde hair as children. Most adults do not have "natural" blonde hair as it often fades as they age. They are few exceptions to the rule of course, but generally blonde hair fades. Anne was very blonde as a young girl, but it has of course naturally darkened.

That's right, Anne was so blonde as a young child, her hair sure darkened a lot!
I agree that its usual for blonde hair to eventually turn darker with time and finally brown, unless you're called Willem-Alexander:D

kathia_sophia said:
That's right, Anne was so blonde as a young child, her hair sure darkened a lot!
I agree that its usual for blonde hair to eventually turn darker with time and finally brown, unless you're called Willem-Alexander:D

My brother and I both have hair the same colour as Anne. When I was a baby, it was blonde, but by the time said brother was born when I was 5 and a half, it had turned its present colour. He was a redhead as a baby (we all thought it would stay that way), but it too darkened.

I think there is no chance that William&Kate's baby will have brown or hazel eyes, as I do not remember any of William's grandparents having dark eyes ( close line), but the baby could have green, blue or grey eyes.
My brother has brown eyes, and he has no brown-eyed parents or grandparents. So, if this baby has any brown-eyed ancestors it is possible the trait could reappear.

I predict the baby will have blue eyes and blond hair, but both can change with age.

That was the theme I chose for my son, 25 years ago. My grandmother had given me a set of Winnie the Pooh books for my 5th birthday.

Dymphna: I was quite appalled, as I think you will be, if you do a quick image search for WTP. Disney acquired the rights and have turned our beloved water colored line drawings into screaming bright cartoons. Fine if you like them, but not my cup of Winnie the Pooh! The water colours are still available, just less easy to find.
Catherine and William are fans of the old standards, I am sure.

I always heard brown was a dominant eye color but I don't know how all the genetics change things.

My dad had brown eyes, mom had blue/green eyes. Sister and I both have brown (so it would appear brown is dominant).

DH has blue eyes, I have brown...1 child has hazel, the other two are blue eyed. DH's parents - 1 brown eyed the other blue eyed.

DH has 5 siblings - 3 blue and 1 brown (another brown but is adopted).

I'm sure there is some scientific formula explaining why but it does seem kinda random.

LaRae

Dymphna: I was quite appalled, as I think you will be, if you do a quick image search for WTP. Disney acquired the rights and have turned our beloved water colored line drawings into screaming bright cartoons. Fine if you like them, but not my cup of Winnie the Pooh! The water colours are still available, just less easy to find.

He is my hero - I've even got his work out book. That's because , figuratively speaking, we have a lot in common :whistling:

I always heard brown was a dominant eye color but I don't know how all the genetics change things.

My dad had brown eyes, mom had blue/green eyes. Sister and I both have brown (so it would appear brown is dominant).

DH has blue eyes, I have brown...1 child has hazel, the other two are blue eyed. DH's parents - 1 brown eyed the other blue eyed.

I'm sure there is some scientific formula explaining why but it does seem kinda random.

LaRae

A simplification: you get 1 gene from your mother and 1 gene from your father. So, we assume your father is BB (brown eyes) while your mother is bb (to simplify, blue eyes). You're Bb and display brown eyes. One of DH's parents would have also been Bb, to give your husband the b to make him bb.

As such, your kids have a 50/50 chance of being Bb or bb, and 0 chance of being BB.

That's just a simplification though. It's not an either or - either you have brown eyes or blue eyes - and that's why we get other variations like grey, hazel, green, etc.

A simplification: you get 1 gene from your mother and 1 gene from your father. So, we assume your father is BB (brown eyes) while your mother is bb (to simplify, blue eyes). You're Bb and display brown eyes. One of DH's parents would have also been Bb, to give your husband the b to make him bb.

As such, your kids have a 50/50 chance of being Bb or bb, and 0 chance of being BB.

That's just a simplification though. It's not an either or - either you have brown eyes or blue eyes - and that's why we get other variations like grey, hazel, green, etc.
Impressive - Ish!

LaRae
Genetics fascinate me, so I have read quite a bit about eye color inheritance. Here's something from The Tech Museum of Innovation / Stanford University:

How Blue Eyed Parents Can Have Brown Eyed Children | Understanding Genetics

Eye Color | Understanding Genetics

Genetics fascinate me, so I have read quite a bit about eye color inheritance. Here's something from The Tech Museum of Innovation / Stanford University:

How Blue Eyed Parents Can Have Brown Eyed Children | Understanding Genetics

Eye Color | Understanding Genetics

And that's why the brown-eyed child with the two blue-eyed parents isn't always the postman's son. Although, statistically speaking, if I was that father I'd be looking into paternity testing.

It seems mostly likely that the Cambridge baby will have a lighter eye colour and, at least as a child, have lighter hair colour as well. Just because all the Middletons seem to have darker hair, I suspect that Baby Cambridge will have darker hair as an adult - genetically darker tends to be the dominant (at least in humans).

There is also the red hair gene from Diana. How does that fit in?

I heard the red hair gene is a recessive gene. I had red heads on both sides of my family, and I was a mildly red headed person (not firey read). I married a man with no redheads in his family, but our son was a bright redhead like Prince Harry. My son the redhead married a light brown haired woman, and their children are either brunette or dark blonde. The red gene seems out of here. I am guessing Baby Cambridge will probably be similarly deprived of the redhead gene that Harry has, because the Middleton dark hair will triumph. I am of course guessing, as recessive genes can pop up unexpectedly.

Hmmm...in at least some livestock red is as the same color as black. So a red animal can have a black offspring and vice versa.

My maternal grandmother had auburn red hair, my mother had very dark brown almost black hair....my dad had jet blue/black hair. My maternal grandfather had dark brown hair. My paternal grandparents had brown or black hair.

My hair is med to dark brown but in the sun (when younger before the days of Clairol) I would get red highlights. My sister has the black hair but not as deep black and our dads.

LaRae

I heard the red hair gene is a recessive gene. I had red heads on both sides of my family, and I was a mildly red headed person (not firey read). I married a man with no redheads in his family, but our son was a bright redhead like Prince Harry. My son the redhead married a light brown haired woman, and their children are either brunette or dark blonde. The red gene seems out of here. I am guessing Baby Cambridge will probably be similarly deprived of the redhead gene that Harry has, because the Middleton dark hair will triumph. I am of course guessing, as recessive genes can pop up unexpectedly.

While the Middletons have dark hair, any recessive hair color could be lurking in their DNA, one of which they passed onto Kate. Both my husband and I have dark hair, and to our surprise, our youngest was born blond which has darkened to only light brown. So we both had recessive genes for lighter hair, even most of our families are dark haired.

Regarding Charles and Diana, I would guess, from their sons, that Charles had a dark haired gene and a blond haired gene. Diana had a red haired gene and a blond haired gene. Dark hair dominates over blond hair and it must be that red hair dominates over blond. Will has two blond genes and Harry has one blond and one red, if I have calculated correctly.

So the Cambridge baby will have one blond gene and the other either Kate's dominant brown or whatever other gene she carried - either brown or some other color.

There is also the red hair gene from Diana. How does that fit in?

Red hair is like green eyes, really recessive.

Basically it goes: brown hair is dominant over blond hair, which is dominant over red hair. For eyes, it goes brown, blue, green.

In order for a child to display brown hair either they have all brown genes or the dominant one and a recessive blond or red gene. Similarly, in order to display blond hair you can have two blond genes or a blond and a red gene, but to display red you have to have all red. Note, this is a simplification, hair colour's determined by more than just one gene which is why we have variations.

Diana had blond hair and Charles has brown hair, meaning that they both have those genes. But because Harry has red hair, we know that both Diana and Charles carried the gene for red hair. We don't know if William got that recessive red gene as well, but simply displays the light brown hair he has because that gene's dominant over the red one. In order for his child to have red hair then he has to have the gene for it, and Catherine has to have it, and they both have to pass it on to their child.

But, yeah. Harry's Spencer red hair is as much from the Windsors as it is from the Spencers.

While the Middletons have dark hair, any recessive hair color could be lurking in their DNA, one of which they passed onto Kate. Both my husband and I have dark hair, and to our surprise, our youngest was born blond which has darkened to only light brown. So we both had recessive genes for lighter hair, even most of our families are dark haired.

Regarding Charles and Diana, I would guess, from their sons, that Charles had a dark haired gene and a blond haired gene. Diana had a red haired gene and a blond haired gene. Dark hair dominates over blond hair and it must be that red hair dominates over blond. Will has two blond genes and Harry has one blond and one red, if I have calculated correctly.

So the Cambridge baby will have one blond gene and the other either Kate's dominant brown or whatever other gene she carried - either brown or some other color.

It's not actually one gene per parent though. According to Wikipedia, hair colour is determined by at least 2 genes, that's how we get more diversity. Eye colour is also determined by multiple genes, as is skin colour.

If it's one gene it means you either are x or you are not. So, like rolling your tongue. If we say that rolling your tongue is dominant T and not rolling it is recessive t, then if you can do it you're either TT or Tt, and if you can't do it you're tt. Hair colour though is more complex; you're not either blond or brunette, there's a whole range in there, so it has to be determined by multiple genes.

I think she should have triplets - that would be fair to everyone: one boy, one girl, one transgender; one white, one brown and one asian.

Now - that would be fantastic

mmhh - or else, we just wait another couple of month and than we know.

I think she should have triplets - that would be fair to everyone: one boy, one girl, one transgender; one white, one brown and one asian.

Now - that would be fantastic

mmhh - or else, we just wait another couple of month and than we know.

That would also be a medical miracle.

:bang: Is everything to be Disney-fied?! I'm glad I stuck with something traditional. Probably the last to do so!

I didn't know Catherine was a blond child. The only young images I've seen of her where as a newborn, and about 5 years old, both brown. Does anyone have an image?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom