The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: In the spring, Catherine and William will become the proud parents of bouncing baby..
Boy! 28 25.45%
Girl! 67 60.91%
Twins! Monaco and Belgium have nothing on Great Britain! 3 2.73%
As long as the baby is healthy, it doesn't matter. 12 10.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 11:16 PM
Majesty

I would love to see Sophie be chosen as a godmother. Catherine seems to like her, and Louise was in the wedding, and when she broke her arm, both William and Catherine visited her. It would be a lovely gesture, in my opinion. Princess Anne would be a good choice too, but somehow I doubt that she'll be chosen. I never got the impression that William was close to his paternal aunt, and she in turn doesn't seem to be involved with his family either.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
Just to get it on the record, I think Peter Phillips and one of the Van Cutsem brothers.
It would be funny to see them have four kids just so each van Cutsem brother gets a nod.

Let's do this in ascending order because why not.The youngest(William) got George. So maybe the second youngest(Nicholas) will get Charlotte. I think Nicholas has been cleared of his assault charges. I mean who doesn't like to horse whip other men. That might be a fun talent to teach his goddaughter.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, Charlotte would appreciate that!
Old 07-04-2015, 12:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I would love to see Sophie be chosen as a godmother. Catherine seems to like her, and Louise was in the wedding, and when she broke her arm, both William and Catherine visited her. It would be a lovely gesture, in my opinion. Princess Anne would be a good choice too, but somehow I doubt that she'll be chosen. I never got the impression that William was close to his paternal aunt, and she in turn doesn't seem to be involved with his family either.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
I also would love to see Sophie chosen. I think she'd be an ideal choice, for several reasons. She certainly seems to get along with Kate, and I assume she gets along just fine with William as well (or at least I don't have any reason to believe otherwise). I also think that Sophie would just be good godmother material generally: I think she sets a good example generally, as well as in her role as a royal, and she also just seems like she'd be an attentive/enthusiastic godmother. (Also, as an aside, I didn't realize that William and Kate had visited Louise after she broke her arm. How sweet! I remember the pictures of Louise sitting next to Kate and William at the Olympics and Paralympics, and she seemed to be happily chatting away to them, so, despite the age difference, they seem to have a nice relationship).

I can see many reasons why Anne would be a good choice, too. However, I wonder if they'll continue to choose godparents from the same immediate family, or if they'll branch out more (I know it doesn't really matter, it's just that William and Kate have so many potential godparents to choose from). Also, yeah, I'm not sure how close William is to Anne, but then it can be hard to tell with William, as he tends to be reserved. Unless I hear something specific about William's relationship with a family member, I generally have no idea who he is or isn't close to (aside from Zara and Peter). Really, I'm prepared for just about any member of the family to be among the godparents .
Old 07-04-2015, 01:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I also would love to see Sophie chosen. I think she'd be an ideal choice, for several reasons. She certainly seems to get along with Kate, and I assume she gets along just fine with William as well (or at least I don't have any reason to believe otherwise). I also think that Sophie would just be good godmother material generally: I think she sets a good example generally, as well as in her role as a royal, and she also just seems like she'd be an attentive/enthusiastic godmother. (Also, as an aside, I didn't realize that William and Kate had visited Louise after she broke her arm. How sweet! I remember the pictures of Louise sitting next to Kate and William at the Olympics and Paralympics, and she seemed to be happily chatting away to them, so, despite the age difference, they seem to have a nice relationship).

I can see many reasons why Anne would be a good choice, too. However, I wonder if they'll continue to choose godparents from the same immediate family, or if they'll branch out more (I know it doesn't really matter, it's just that William and Kate have so many potential godparents to choose from). Also, yeah, I'm not sure how close William is to Anne, but then it can be hard to tell with William, as he tends to be reserved. Unless I hear something specific about William's relationship with a family member, I generally have no idea who he is or isn't close to (aside from Zara and Peter). Really, I'm prepared for just about any member of the family to be among the godparents .
I'm not sure about the age restrictions for godparents - proud Atheist here - but maybe Louise could be chosen. It seems every example people give about the Cambridges being chummy with the Wessexes directly involves Louise. Edward, Sophie, and James seem to be by-products of the Louise love-fest. Charlotte might appreciate growing up under the tutelage of a "Princess" only 12 years older than her.

And yes, all our guesses are a total crapshoot. Watch Marie-Chantel will be chosen after I spewed about how it would never happen.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I'm not sure about the age restrictions for godparents - proud Atheist here - but maybe Louise could be chosen. It seems every example people give about the Cambridges being chummy with the Wessexes directly involves Louise. Edward, Sophie, and James seem to be by-products of the Louise love-fest. Charlotte might appreciate growing up under the tutelage of a "Princess" only 12 years older than her.

And yes, all our guesses are a total crapshoot. Watch Marie-Chantel will be chosen after I spewed about how it would never happen.

I don't know of any age requirements with regard to godparents, but the Church of England requires that a godparent use have been baptized themselves (which Louise obviously was), and it's also preferred that the godparent has also been confirmed, which I don't think Louise has been yet. Personally, I think eleven seems a bit young to be a godparent.

As for the relationship between the Cambridges and the Wessexes, I actually wouldn't have mentioned Louise had someone not already brought her up. It's actually Sophie and Kate I think of as being the main link there, as they always appear to get on quite well and are often seen chatting at family events. I think Louise often gets mentioned primarily because she was one of William and Kate's bridesmaids, and prior to that I don't think much was known about William's (or Kate's) relationship or interaction with the Wessexes.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Louise is definitely not going to be chosen because she is only 11 years old. Gone are the days that Royals chose extremely young children as godparents, so Louise is a definite no-no. I do believe Kate is friendly with Louise and is often seen chatting to her in public, but I imagine it's probably nothing more than a cousin being nice to her cousin. Louise seems much more chatty with the Phillips' family as she was seen last year at the horse trials with them and this year at the Windsor horse show.

I would love Sophie to be chosen but I don't think she will be either. Sophie and Kate do seem to get on, but I imagine William and Kate would prefer to choose people similar in age to them or friends of theirs. I also can't see Charlotte having an HRH as a godparent when George, the future King, has not got any. I had thought if Sophie was going to have any royal godchildren it would have been one of the Monaco twins, but that didn't happen so Sophie has no hope now!
Old 07-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Heir Apparent

George has 2 godparents that are significantly older than W&K with Jamie and Julia and Hugh is 10 years younger. Sophie is only 50 not 70.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-04-2015, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

I hope they give the Van Cutsems a rest. One of the brothers was godparent to George, so I think that's enough.

Tiggy will inevitably remind everyone of that unfortunate incident with Diana.

I thought they might choose one of their Spencer cousins, Laura perhaps?
Old 07-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Laura Lopes or her husband would be a nice choice too, tying in Camilla's family.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Baby Cambridge 2: Guess the Sex of the Baby and Potential Godparents

Why the need to tie in Camilla's family instead of extended Windsor family, Middletons or Spencers?

We don't really see Charles's sons and Camilla's children interacting with each other.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Yeah I don't see why there is a need to tie in Camilla's family. Plenty of blood family to bring in.

LaRae
Old 07-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Courtier

The thing is, I think with George, they really chose a good range of people. As has been mentioned, they come from a wide age range. Also, only one of them was a blood relative. So, really, I expect anything. The godparents could all just be a bunch of their friends who I've never heard of (which would be easy, as I don't really pay too much attention to who all their friends are). With George, they tended to eschew the more obvious choices.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:14 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I also wish Sophie would be chosen, and she was my original guess, but after reading some of these posts I'm starting to doubt that she will be one of Charlotte's godparents. Since George doesn't have any HRHs as godparents, I think it would be nice if Viscount Linley (or Viscountess Linley) would be chosen as one of Charlotte's godparents. Their daughter Margarita was another one of the bridesmaids at William and Catherine's wedding, and Catherine was also talking to Margarita on the balcony at Trooping the Colour in 2011. Margarita also walked with William to St. Mary Magdalene Church at Christmas when she was little, so I get the feeling that the Linleys are friendly with the Cambridges (well, they must be friendly enough to have Margarita as one of their bridesmaids, and usually children of the couple's family and friends are members of the bridal party).

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I also wish Sophie would be chosen, and she was my original guess, but after reading some of these posts I'm starting to doubt that she will be one of Charlotte's godparents. Since George doesn't have any HRHs as godparents, I think it would be nice if Viscount Linley (or Viscountess Linley) would be chosen as one of Charlotte's godparents. Their daughter Margarita was another one of the bridesmaids at William and Catherine's wedding, and Catherine was also talking to Margarita on the balcony at Trooping the Colour in 2011. Margarita also walked with William to St. Mary Magdalene Church at Christmas when she was little, so I get the feeling that the Linleys are friendly with the Cambridges (well, they must be friendly enough to have Margarita as one of their bridesmaids, and usually children of the couple's family and friends are members of the bridal party).
I have to say I was pretty shocked at Louise being chosen for the bridal as she was NEVER seen before the wedding. She was briefly on the balcony in 2009 for Trooping the Colour but that was it. Edward and Sophie were the only family members at Peter's wedding to not exit via the front as they had Louise with them and they didn't want her to be photographed. I do think they took shielding their daughter to the extreme. Being chosen as a flower girl really let go of Edward and Sophie's fear of their children being photographed! Margarita was probably chosen as she was of a similar age to Louise as they needed two olderish girls as they had two young girls. Estella or Eloise Taylor could have been chosen I suppose, but William had more interaction with Margarita as she attended Christmas occasionally.

Anyway, back on topic! Do you think the godparent's names will be released early in the morning? I would be very happy if George walked to the church but I imagine William will be carrying him.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
Laura Lopes or her husband would be a nice choice too, tying in Camilla's family.
I believe that William and Catherine would chose adults from the parents of their godchildren.

Laura would make an appropriate and excellent selection.

Eliza is rumored to be a godchild of William so Laura would fit into that category. William and Kate's first public event was Laura's wedding and William has been close to Laura since he was at least 16 years old.

Tiggy's son is a godson of William and he was a page at W&K's wedding so she too is an appropriate godparent.

I do not know all of William's and Kate's godchildren but I think it is reasonable to expect William and Catherine to reciprocate and select a parent from each of their godchildren for their children.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Baby Cambridge 2: Guess the Sex of the Baby and Potential Godparents

If Eliza was William's godchild, that would have come out in the build up to the royal wedding. Tom and Grace were both identified as William's godchildren.

There has been some godparent quid pro quo. Zara is George's and William is Mia's . Kate is godmother to Oliver Baker's (who is George's)son. William or Kate is most likely a godparent to Emilia Jardine Patterson' son.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Royal Highness

IIRC, Eliza was rumored to have been christened in the same chapel as George. (I remember the nasty comments.)

Eliza's godparents were never released.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:26 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Godparents have been announced:

Sophie Carter
James Meade
Adam Middleton
The Hon. Laura Fellowes
Thomas van Straubenzee

Tags