The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: In the spring, Catherine and William will become the proud parents of bouncing baby..
Boy! 28 25.45%
Girl! 67 60.91%
Twins! Monaco and Belgium have nothing on Great Britain! 3 2.73%
As long as the baby is healthy, it doesn't matter. 12 10.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Courtier

I have my doubts about Sophie being a viable choice. William doesn't seem that close to his Aunts and Uncles. And Catherine would probably want to choice one of her own cousins that she is close with, or one of Michael's brothers over Sophie. Even if Catherine was forced to pick one of William's family members at the expense of her own, I think she would pick Tim over Sophie. Catherine and Tim always seem to get along very well, even moreso than her and Sophie. Ironically, Anne would be forced to attend as Tim's plus-one in this scenario.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Emilia is George's godmother. It would be very odd to get the double nod. I think Trini - Catherine's friend of 20 years, is a better bet.

As for your other choices, you see Catherine getting one pick while William gets six? Ouch! At least with George she got two (Emilia, Oliver).

I also don't see Anne being chosen. Even if she was asked I think she would refuse. Remember George "had nothing to do with her".
Bother - I meant Trini - thanks for getting it right. I dont think these 2 do it by numbers - 1 for me, 1 for you stuff. These days its more their friends than his or hers.

WE might also get a surprise and have a Greek royal. Marie-Chantel would be good if not Pavlos.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I too thought it was too bad George didn't get any royal godparents. I think it's really lovely how most of the continental royals have chosen other continental royals as godparents for their children. It creates a special band between the families. But then again, William and Catherine aren't really close with any continental royals and I perfectly understand why they wouldn't choose someone they barely know as godparent to their child.

If they choose someone from the family, Sophie would be my safest guess. She seems like the ideal godmother, if you ask me. I don't think either of the York princesses are even remotely likely; while I would love if they chose Anne, I don't think that's gonna happen; Harry would be plausible (being the secondborn himself) but he isn't attending the actual christening so I suppose that makes him quite unlikely (are proxies still used? I don't recall anyone standing proxy for Felipe at the Danish twins' christening); Lady Sarah Chatto is more wishful thinking on my part, but I think it would be so neat if they made her godmother of Charlotte; then there's Peter, he would be my main guess had Zara not been George's godmother, I think.

As for the rest, I'm almost certain that Tiggy will be in there somewhere. Perhaps along with a van Cutsem, Thomas van Straubenzee, Alicia Fox-Pitt etc.

Quote:
Even if Catherine was forced to pick one of William's family members at the expense of her own, I think she would pick Tim over Sophie. Catherine and Tim always seem to get along very well, even moreso than her and Sophie. Ironically, Anne would be forced to attend as Tim's plus-one in this scenario.
Words can't even explain how much I'd adore this

Old 07-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Bother - I meant Trini - thanks for getting it right. I dont think these 2 do it by numbers - 1 for me, 1 for you stuff. These days its more their friends than his or hers.
I was thinking the same thing - William and Kate have been together so long that they know each other's friends and families quite well, and I'm sure many of the relationships are considered mutual rather than "his" or "hers." Using Sophie as an example of a potential godparent, she obviously comes from William's side of the family, but I associate her more with Kate, because we see her interacting with Sophie more often.

This whole godparent discussion is so interesting to me - I keep seeing so many good points being made, but every time I start to think that someone seems like a "good" or "obvious" choice as godparent, I remember that they surprised us (or at least me!) a bit with their choices for George. I wasn't surprised they chose friends as godparents for George, but I was surprised that Zara was the only family member fromeither side of George's family to be chosen.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

WE might also get a surprise and have a Greek royal. Marie-Chantel would be good if not Pavlos.
A Greek royal would be a HUGE surprise, even if William is godfather to one of their children.

I would LOVE to see Tim as godfather but I reckon that is even less likely than them choosing Sophie.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

You can argue Pippa for the same reason as Harry as the second child especially since Charlotte is a girl. If she was a boy, that would have perfect fit for Harry as another second son just like Andrew is Harry's godfather.

Oliver Baker's wife Melanie is another name perhaps. She went to university with WK and lived with Kate in Kate's Chelsea apartment. Kate's godmother to her son.

I think like with George there will be a couple of older mentor types like Jamie and Julia were for George. Charlie Mayhew from Tusk Trust? Sir Ben Ainslie (just because he is so cute and always seems super happy when Kate visits)?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-03-2015, 02:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:

Normally, I would agree with you. They share a lot of "communal" people. But I felt George's godparents had a distinctive his and hers feel.

Ollie Baker- hers. Ollie is much closer to Catherine than William. He will always choose her side over William's, as he proved in 2007.

Emilia- hers. Emilia has been her best friend since Marlborough College. Emilia is married to the brother of Pippa's former long-term boyfriend.

Jamie- his. Jamie is like a second father to William.

Julia- his. Julia was one of his mother's closest friends. She also runs a charity he is patron of.

Earl Grosvenor- his. William and Harry like to go on boys hunting trips on the Grosvenor family property in the UK and in Spain. Catherine doesn't attend these.

Zara- his. Zara is William's closest cousin. While Catherine and Zara get along fine I wouldn't call them close. William attended Mia's christening sans Catherine.

William van Cutsem- his. I've never seen Catherine interact with WvC. She seems much friendlier with Hugh van Custem. WvC is a buddy of William, those two like to attend sporting events together.

To the next point, I could never see Marie-Chantel being chosen. She is very indiscreet. She's always posting pictures of other royals. She likes to advertise(at every opportunity) that Princess Estelle wears clothing from her line, by courtesy of her friendship with Princess Victoria. I have a feeling that William would see her as a wealthy version of Fergie.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Baby Cambridge 2: Guess the Sex of the Baby and Potential Godparents

Jamie is Kate's too. William was with him longer but she spent a lot of time with him too.

With them being together for so long now, their friends are have become their friends instead of his or her.

Plus we don't see behind the scenes and fully know what goes on with lives. I am thinking all of their choices where mutual ones. Kate could have suggested Zara and William Emilia. Kate not attending Mia's christening doesn't mean that her and Zara are not close. She might have been under the weather or still slightly sick from the HG from Charlotte. Who knows. People can easily communicate with others not in person. Kate can be exchanging baby pictures with Zara, discussing sailing with Tim, while exchanging dog training tips with Camilla all electronically and we don't know until the phone is hacked.

Remember when the wedding party was announced and it was all William's side. It was never mentioned that Kate didn't have little cousins. She only has 2 first cousin's on her dad's side who were older and Uncle Gary's daughter on her mum's side. William had cousins Louise and Margarita who were the perfect age plus godchildren Tom and Grace.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Jamie is Kate's too. William was with him longer but she spent a lot of time with him too.

With them being together for so long now, their friends are have become their friends instead of his or her.

Plus we don't see behind the scenes and fully know what goes on with lives. I am thinking all of their choices where mutual ones. Kate could have suggested Zara and William Emilia. Kate not attending Mia's christening doesn't mean that her and Zara are not close. She might have been under the weather or still slightly sick from the HG from Charlotte. Who knows. People can easily communicate with others not in person. Kate can be exchanging baby pictures with Zara, discussing sailing with Tim, while exchanging dog training tips with Camilla all electronically and we don't know until the phone is hacked.

Remember when the wedding party was announced and it was all William's side. It was never mentioned that Kate didn't have little cousins. She only has 2 first cousin's on her dad's side who were older and Uncle Gary's daughter on her mum's side. William had cousins Louise and Margarita who were the perfect age plus godchildren Tom and Grace.

Sorry, but I disagree with most of your post. Jamie is a second father to William, I see no evidence that he is a second father to Catherine. If it was up to Catherine to pick a staff member to be a godparent I think she would have chosen her good friend Emma Probert. Jamie was a William choice.

There is no way Catherine suggested Zara over her own cousins(Lucy,Adam) whom she is very close to. Zara and Mike Tindall have said before in interviews that they text William, they never mentioned texting Catherine. Zara is a William choice.

And there's no way William would pick Emilia over his close female friend Jecca. Take the royal wedding, Emilia and her husband sat next to the Middletons. She was not sitting in area of the church that had their mutual friends. Also, take their pre-wedding years when they were papped often. Emilia was only ever seen with Catherine on girls nights. When William and Catherine were out together with mutual friends, Emilia was never there. She didn't go on their group skiing trips. Emilia would go on girls vacations with Catherine to Mustique. Emilia kept herself glued to Catherine's side during the 2007 break-up. Emilia was a Catherine choice.

I do agree with you(Huzzah!) that Camilla is closer to Catherine. I can't imagine William wearing a friendship bracelet that Camilla gave him; like Catherine did for much of 2011.

As for the royal wedding bridal party, Gary's daughter is the same age as Louise. She could have been used in lieu of Margarita. People on this site are always saying that it's unfair to condemn Beatrice and Eugenie just because of who their parents are, well the same should hold true for this child. Especially, since she lives with her mother - who Catherine has always gotten along with.

Once again, I believe the Cambridges have many mutual friends which is why it's strange they weren't picked as George's godparents. William got five choices - all people firmly in his camp. Catherine got two choices - both firmly in her camp. I do hope this time - if once again they're not using mutual friends - Catherine gets at least 3 of 7 of the choices. Last time it was obvious that William got priority. This time it would be nice if it were more even.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Baby Cambridge 2: Guess the Sex of the Baby and Potential Godparents

I am not saying that Kate picked Zara or William picked Emilia. However, we don't know what happens behind closed doors and how close one person is to another. Just because someone started off as one person's friend or family doesn't mean that the other person can't be friends with them.

Jamie may be a second father to William and Kate doesn't need a second father because her own father, but it doesn't mean that she didn't have her own special relationship with Jamie who helped through her transition from private citizen to HRH Duchess of Cambridge.

At this point, there is not her friends vs his friends. It's their friends only.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would love Autumn Philips to be a godmother. No particular reason, she just seems like such a lovely addition to the extended royal family and seems to get on with the Cambridges. I loved the pictures of them all at the polo.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:03 PM
Royal Highness

Where is this Jamie is William's second father coming from?

Did it come out of William's own mouth?

If not, then this is an offensive remark.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I am not saying that Kate picked Zara or William picked Emilia. However, we don't know what happens behind closed doors and how close one person is to another. Just because someone started off as one person's friend or family doesn't mean that the other person can't be friends with them.

Jamie may be a second father to William and Kate doesn't need a second father because her own father, but it doesn't mean that she didn't have her own special relationship with Jamie who helped through her transition from private citizen to HRH Duchess of Cambridge.

At this point, there is not her friends vs his friends. It's their friends only.

Actually, in your previous post you said that.

If you think William and Catherine had equal say in George's godparents then you and I will never agree on this subject.

Also, I'm not saying Catherine dislikes Jamie but he's clearly a William guy. Remember in June 2011, when Jaime advertised for a dressing assistant for Catherine without her permission. It got back to her and she was obviously affronted. Jamie had to publicly apologize, and he admitted he should consult with her more often. He would have never of pulled a men in grey stunt like that with William or Harry.

While Jamie was wonderful for advising William and Harry, the person who is/was really guiding Catherine is Rebecca Deacon. To pretend Jamie wasn't William's choice is just strange.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

My first post said could have. Which is entirely true because we weren't there. I don't believe that they view their friends and family as strictly his and her and that they made the decisions concerning their children such as names, godparents and nanny together not one dominating the other one.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Where is this Jamie is William's second father coming from?

Did it come out of William's own mouth?

If not, then this is an offensive remark.
Countless royal correspondents have said William loves Jamie like a second father. Now they could have just said that to take a passive-aggressive dig at Charles - I wouldn't put it past them! But William has always shown high-esteem for Jamie (the royal wedding,godparent) so he's lent some credence to their claims. I don't blame you if you don't want to believe the media.
One should always be wary of their stories.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Aristocracy

It is hilarious to me reading these posts about who is William's friend and who is Kate's friend and who likes who better or yadda yadda yadda!!! RIDICULOUS! None of you know anything about these people or who they love or who they are friends with. Just stop. It sounds ignorant. In two days we will all know who the godparents will be but we won't know why they were chosen because that is not out business.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Countless royal correspondents have said William loves Jamie like a second father. Now they could have just said that to take a passive-aggressive dig at Charles - I wouldn't put it past them! But William has always shown high-esteem for Jamie (the royal wedding,godparent) so he's lent some credence to their claims. I don't blame you if you don't want to believe the media.
One should always be wary of their stories.
William second mother is Tiggy. She raised him and he invited her to several of his major events. Wasn't she the one William invited rather than his own biological mother.

Tiggy was in William's life more than Jamie so Tiggy is a second mother.

Jamie is just a friend.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslewis View Post
It is hilarious to me reading these posts about who is William's friend and who is Kate's friend and who likes who better or yadda yadda yadda!!! RIDICULOUS! None of you know anything about these people or who they love or who they are friends with. Just stop. It sounds ignorant. In two days we will all know who the godparents will be but we won't know why they were chosen because that is not out business.
If you don't like people guessing who will be Charlotte's godparents and discussing why they would be chosen over others, then boy are you in the wrong thread.

I can't stand fashion talk; so I try to stay away from the royal fashion threads.
The George and Charlotte thread has been overrun with paparazzi pictures. Pap pics of children makes my blood boil, so now I try to avoid that thread too. Just a suggestion to make your experience more enjoyable.

Queen Camilla, I agree that Tiggy has a good shot at being Charlotte's godmother.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I hope Tiggy is chosen. She has always been close to the two princes. A godmother choice could be Alicia Foxe-Pitt, godfather another of the van Cutsem brothers or James Meade. I just don't get the feeling that Tom and Lady Melissa van Straubenzee are very close to William any more, so I don't think they are are a likely choice. I wonder whether Rebecca Deacon could be asked. She and Kate are great friends apparently, and Rebecca has been a loyal helper.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:30 PM
Courtier

Just to get it on the record, I think Peter Phillips and one of the Van Cutsem brothers.

Closed Thread

Tags
cambridge, catherine, george, kate, william