The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: In the spring, Catherine and William will become the proud parents of bouncing baby..
Boy! 28 25.45%
Girl! 67 60.91%
Twins! Monaco and Belgium have nothing on Great Britain! 3 2.73%
As long as the baby is healthy, it doesn't matter. 12 10.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:59 AM
Serene Highness

I guess it would be logical to have Beatrice or Eugenie as a godmother.
They had Louise as a flowergirl at their wedding and Zara as godmother to George.
If they choose one of the York cousins now, they have covered each 'clan' of their Windsor-Mountbatten family (other than their own).

Old 06-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Princess Charlotte to be christened at Sandringham next month in 'private' ceremony (and Beatrice and Peter Phillips are favourite to be godparents)
Princess Charlotte to be christened at Sandringham next month | Daily Mail Online

Very nice and very rare pictures inside St Mary Magdalene. We never really see the inside of this church.

I will fall over if Beatrice is picked as godmother. The two cousins have never seemed remotely close. I still giggle that when Beatrice had her mega birthday bash at Windsor Castle, William didn't show even though he was close by playing polo earlier in the day. William had no problem attending Peter's 30th birthday. If a cousin does get the nod I think it'll be Peter Phillips and/or Lucy Middleton.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe Eugenie will be godmother being that she was also christened at the same church (long shot, I know!). I didn't really think William was that close to his cousins except for Peter and Zara. Perhaps Peter will be chosen this time as Zara was chosen last time. I am not a believer in siblings being chosen as godparents as they already have a role in the child's life as aunts and uncles, but she is obviously not my child!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe among Charlotte's godparents will be at least one William's cousin from his mother's side?
Old 06-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Courtier

"Maybe among Charlotte's godparents will be at least one William's cousin from his mother's side?"

Whom do you suggest? I have a hard time picturing William with any of his maternal cousins. I know Celia Mccorquodale attended his RAF ceremony but that was 7 years ago. Since then Celia has developed quite the rowdy reputation. Her sister Emily would be a more cautious choice but I question her closeness to the Wales boys.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Serene Highness

Regarding the godparents, I expect that, like with George, they will choose people among their own age group. I would love to see Charles will be asked this time. It would be nice if Harry and Pippa were asked to be godparents.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Regarding the godparents, I expect that, like with George, they will choose people among their own age group. I would love to see Charles will be asked this time. It would be nice if Harry and Pippa were asked to be godparents.

As for godparents, I doubt they'll choose Charles, Harry, or Pippa (or James), as I don't think they'll choose from among their immediate family. Also, I think someone mentioned that Harry is going to be in Africa at the time of the christening.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post

I will fall over if Beatrice is picked as godmother. The two cousins have never seemed remotely close.

True, but the Queen just might suggest it (part of her ongoing efforts to rehabilitate Andrew's reputation?)
Old 06-06-2015, 10:53 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
True, but the Queen just might suggest it (part of her ongoing efforts to rehabilitate Andrew's reputation?)
I seriously doubt that will happen. Whomever the Cambridges choose for the godparents are going to be for the sole reason of asking those they really want for their daughter's christening. A special family occasion like this has no place for PR games or appeasing the public or even appeasing anyone. They'll choose who they want.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I seriously doubt that will happen. Whomever the Cambridges choose for the godparents are going to be for the sole reason of asking those they really want for their daughter's christening. A special family occasion like this has no place for PR games or appeasing the public or even appeasing anyone. They'll choose who they want.
Yeah, and it doesn't sound like the queen to meddle witht that. Also, remember how William called her about having been given a list of people he had to invite to his wedding and she said "throw it out and start with your friends and we'll go from there". So I highly doubt she would meddle in their choice of godparents.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Roya Nikkhah ‏@RoyaNikkhah 57m57 minutes ago
My @thesundaytimes story William ushers James Meade & Thomas van Straubenzee tipped as #PrincessCharlotte godparents

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-07-2015, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent

I think those names might be spot one, at least Straubenzee but I am not inclined to make any speculation or guess, simply because I have no clue... Last time, (with George) they were all unknown names to me... I would say that maybe the Middletons are ruled out but who knows... No idea at all... I could only say that Royah Nikkhah guessed a couple of names last time round... but they also were the the most rumoured...
Old 06-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Last time with George, the press were saying people were going to be godparents and they weren't.

I think Charlotte will get a mix of different people like George got- friends of the couple, older mentors, a extended family member.

I don't think they will use their siblings as godparents since they are already attached as Aunt and Uncles.

I can see Sophie being picked as a the older mentor plus extended family. Her and Kate seem to get along extremely well. I also like Sam Whaley Cohen- he seems like a great guy and friends to both W&K.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-07-2015, 10:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Last time with George, the press were saying people were going to be godparents and they weren't.

I think Charlotte will get a mix of different people like George got- friends of the couple, older mentors, a extended family member.

I don't think they will use their siblings as godparents since they are already attached as Aunt and Uncles.

I can see Sophie being picked as a the older mentor plus extended family. Her and Kate seem to get along extremely well. I also like Sam Whaley Cohen- he seems like a great guy and friends to both W&K.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
I'm not sure if he is a a practicing Jew, but would Sam Whaley Cohen be selected as godparent to a Church of England child?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-07-2015, 10:07 AM
Royal Highness

The christening might be very private that the names of the godparents are not released.

Maybe they will choose Samuel Chatto but Peter is probably a better odds favorite.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I'm not sure if he is a a practicing Jew, but would Sam Whaley Cohen be selected as godparent to a Church of England child?
I don't see why not.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I don't know if the Church of England has some kind of "law" about the religion of godparents to children who are christened into the religion, but I've noticed that most of the godparents of the British royals have been of the same religion as the royal child. Though it could be possible, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden is Lutheran and she is a godmother to Princess Eleonore of Belgium, who is Catholic. (But then again, Lutheranism and Catholicism both belong to Christianity.)

But it's an interesting thought and it would be nice if he did end up being one of Charlotte's godparents.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I don't know if the Church of England has some kind of "law" about the religion of godparents to children who are christened into the religion, but I've noticed that most of the godparents of the British royals have been Christian. Though it could be possible, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden is Lutheran and she is a godmother to Princess Eleonore of Belgium, who is Catholic. (But then again, Lutheranism and Catholicism are all different parts of Christianity.)

But it's an interesting thought and it would be nice if he did end up being one of Charlotte's godparents.
I only asked because I couldn't really imagine inviting someone from a totally different religion to be a godparent. I know almost nothing about such a position,(since it is not a Jewish tradition to have godparents) but I always thought there was a religious component to the responsibilities of a godparent.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I'm not sure about Church of England, but in the Russian Orthodox Church, as long as one of the godparents is Orthodox, the rest don't have to be. Perhaps the same principal could be applied in the case of Mr. Whaley Cohen...

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I only asked because I couldn't really imagine inviting someone from a totally different religion to be a godparent. I know almost nothing about such a position,(since it is not a Jewish tradition to have godparents) but I always thought there was a religious component to the responsibilities of a godparent.
I didn't mean to answer you in a negative way. I'd only put quotation marks in the word law because I wasn't sure if it was the right word to use and was also unsure myself but was answering you based on what I've noticed.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Closed Thread

Tags
cambridge, catherine, george, kate, william