Baby Cambridge 2: Guess the Sex of the Baby and Potential Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the spring, Catherine and William will become the proud parents of bouncing baby..

• Boy!

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Girl!

Votes: 67 60.9%
  • Twins! Monaco and Belgium have nothing on Great Britain!

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • As long as the baby is healthy, it doesn't matter.

Votes: 12 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roya Nikkhah ‏@RoyaNikkhah 57m57 minutes ago
My @thesundaytimes story William ushers James Meade & Thomas van Straubenzee tipped as #PrincessCharlotte godparents

I think those names might be spot one, at least Straubenzee but I am not inclined to make any speculation or guess, simply because I have no clue... Last time, (with George) they were all unknown names to me... I would say that maybe the Middletons are ruled out but who knows... No idea at all... I could only say that Royah Nikkhah guessed a couple of names last time round... but they also were the the most rumoured...

Last time with George, the press were saying people were going to be godparents and they weren't.

I think Charlotte will get a mix of different people like George got- friends of the couple, older mentors, a extended family member.

I don't think they will use their siblings as godparents since they are already attached as Aunt and Uncles.

I can see Sophie being picked as a the older mentor plus extended family. Her and Kate seem to get along extremely well. I also like Sam Whaley Cohen- he seems like a great guy and friends to both W&K.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last time with George, the press were saying people were going to be godparents and they weren't.

I think Charlotte will get a mix of different people like George got- friends of the couple, older mentors, a extended family member.

I don't think they will use their siblings as godparents since they are already attached as Aunt and Uncles.

I can see Sophie being picked as a the older mentor plus extended family. Her and Kate seem to get along extremely well. I also like Sam Whaley Cohen- he seems like a great guy and friends to both W&K.

I'm not sure if he is a a practicing Jew, but would Sam Whaley Cohen be selected as godparent to a Church of England child?

The christening might be very private that the names of the godparents are not released.

Maybe they will choose Samuel Chatto but Peter is probably a better odds favorite.

I'm not sure if he is a a practicing Jew, but would Sam Whaley Cohen be selected as godparent to a Church of England child?

I don't know if the Church of England has some kind of "law" about the religion of godparents to children who are christened into the religion, but I've noticed that most of the godparents of the British royals have been of the same religion as the royal child. Though it could be possible, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden is Lutheran and she is a godmother to Princess Eleonore of Belgium, who is Catholic. (But then again, Lutheranism and Catholicism both belong to Christianity.)

But it's an interesting thought and it would be nice if he did end up being one of Charlotte's godparents.

Last edited:
I don't know if the Church of England has some kind of "law" about the religion of godparents to children who are christened into the religion, but I've noticed that most of the godparents of the British royals have been Christian. Though it could be possible, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden is Lutheran and she is a godmother to Princess Eleonore of Belgium, who is Catholic. (But then again, Lutheranism and Catholicism are all different parts of Christianity.)

But it's an interesting thought and it would be nice if he did end up being one of Charlotte's godparents.

I only asked because I couldn't really imagine inviting someone from a totally different religion to be a godparent. I know almost nothing about such a position,(since it is not a Jewish tradition to have godparents) but I always thought there was a religious component to the responsibilities of a godparent.

I'm not sure about Church of England, but in the Russian Orthodox Church, as long as one of the godparents is Orthodox, the rest don't have to be. Perhaps the same principal could be applied in the case of Mr. Whaley Cohen...

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I only asked because I couldn't really imagine inviting someone from a totally different religion to be a godparent. I know almost nothing about such a position,(since it is not a Jewish tradition to have godparents) but I always thought there was a religious component to the responsibilities of a godparent.

I didn't mean to answer you in a negative way. I'd only put quotation marks in the word law because I wasn't sure if it was the right word to use and was also unsure myself but was answering you based on what I've noticed. :flowers:

That's an interesting question. I rather doubt that they would choose someone who isn't Christian (though I'm not sure of any specific rules), as, traditionally, a godparent is responsible for helping guide a child's spiritual/religious life. And prayers at the service tend to have the godparents promising to raise the children in the Christian faith (or at least that's the way it is in the Episcopal Church, which is the Anglican church outside of England).

The christening might be very private that the names of the godparents are not released.

Maybe they will choose Samuel Chatto but Peter is probably a better odds favorite.

They'll definitely release the godparents' names. The christenings are always private, but they always release the names of the godparents.

In the Catholic Church at least one godparent must be a practicing Catholic in good standing. They can have other godparents who aren't Catholic.

LaRae

Here's some general information from the Church of England about becoming a godparent: The Church of England - Becoming a godparent

It seems the only "rule" is that a godparent has to have been baptised. So, that would rule out anyone non-Christian (though it doesn't seem to rule out non-CofE godparents).

Here's some general information from the Church of England about becoming a godparent: The Church of England - Becoming a godparent

It seems the only "rule" is that a godparent has to have been baptised. So, that would rule out anyone non-Christian (though it doesn't seem to rule out non-CofE godparents).

Thanks, Isabella. I guess this means I have to tell the Cambridges, 'thanks for the honor, but no can do'!

Interesting. In my protestant faith, the only requirement is that the Godparents believe in God. So, my family has Catholic, Jewish and other Protestant faiths as Godparents. Never occurred that other faiths were different.

I must say that I'm rather perplexed when it comes to predicting godparents for the Cambridge's. I would have thought there would be more family and/or royals for George ... and he ended up with only Zara as a representative from the family/royal category. Perhaps they will go with Beatrice this time around as the family representative??? I can't believe they will go with more royals for Charlotte than they did for a future King of England.

I must say that I'm rather perplexed when it comes to predicting godparents for the Cambridge's. I would have thought there would be more family and/or royals for George ... and he ended up with only Zara as a representative from the family/royal category. Perhaps they will go with Beatrice this time around as the family representative??? I can't believe they will go with more royals for Charlotte than they did for a future King of England.

George will have his father and grandfather to guide him in the ways of kingship, so there's really no need for a royal godparent. I think William and Catherine want their children to be exposed to people from diverse backgrounds, so perhaps that's why they're choosing their friends over the royal side of the family.

George will have his father and grandfather to guide him in the ways of kingship, so there's really no need for a royal godparent. I think William and Catherine want their children to be exposed to people from diverse backgrounds, so perhaps that's why they're choosing their friends over the royal side of the family.

I agree. Another angle to consider too is that godparents are to be willing and able to step in and guide the child spiritually and this is what the parents are taking into consideration.

I agree. Another angle to consider too is that godparents are to be willing and able to step in and guide the child spiritually and this is what the parents are taking into consideration.

That is a very good point. A godparent's role, first and foremost is to give the child spiritual guidance. I'm sure William and Catherine have thought their decision through in all aspects.

They are connecting people to George and now Charlotte. The immediate families are already connected. So they picked people from the outside such as close friends and older mentor types. Even Zara who is a relative isn't a royal.

They are connecting people to George and now Charlotte. The immediate families are already connected. So they picked people from the outside such as close friends and older mentor types. Even Zara who is a relative isn't a royal.

I respect your opinion, however when your grandmother is the Queen, your mother is the Princess Royal and you share in their blood line ... you're royal regardless of the semantics.

I don't consider Zara as part of the Royal Family (nor do I consider Peter, Louise or James) as they are not HRH's. Being a member of the "Royal Family" means holding a Royal Highness style which these 4 do not. They would be considered extended family members of the House of Windsor. Even Zara doesn't consider herself a member of the Royal Family. She just happens to have the Queen as a grandmother.

I find it odd that George may be the only future King without an HRH or HM godparent, which is why I don't think Charlotte will have any Royal godparents. It's fine to choose friends as godparents, I have no issue with that. I just find it odd that he hasn't got a single HRH among them as a future King.

And I would love if Sophie were a godparent! But I agree that no royalty will be (most likely) among Charlotte's godaparents...

While I don't believe it is likely... I would love for Charlotte to have the Princess Royal as a one of her godmothers. While I think Charlotte will have many strong female role models in her life; she will be a little sparse on the royal female role. I think she will likely have many experiences in her life that Anne would uniquely understand - (i.e. being the younger sister of the heir, being a true royal princess in a world of men - and yes possibly Charlotte would be Anne's successor as Princess Royal [many many years from now]).

As the years go on I think Anne will have less and less interaction with the Cambridges and would have no real reason to have a strong relationship with Charlotte (she has her own granddaughters to feed that part of her soul). While it may not be as critical now, when Charlotte begins coming in to her own it would be nice if she had a godmother who could be another source in navigating a tricky role.

Last edited:
I think it would be more likely to be Zara than Princess Ann although I kinda agree with your thoughts on it Michelle.

LaRae

Although I do like the thought of Princess Royal as Godmother, she is 65 yrs older and by the time Charlotte would be old enough to take on royal duties, she would be in her mid 80s.

It would be good if Charlotte had someone born a princess but I don't think Beatrice/Eugenie will be chosen.

I think the Cambridge's were right in choosing people who are their age and perhaps the age of a young grandparent, plus a v young person for George. Great range that could give relevant support as the young royals grow up. I expect the same pattern for Charlotte.

so Van Cutsem, Meade, Peter Philips, Emilie (friend of Kate's) and maybe Sophie or Tiggy Pettifer. Who a young person would be not sure.

Whoever they are, I hope they are prepared for intrusive interest by the media.

Princess Anne would be an excellent choice but I think it's really unlikely sadly, and it would have nothing to do with her age. Many godparents are much older than their godchildren. She would be very good at setting Charlotte straight!

I can see Tiggy being chosen perhaps.

Although I do like the thought of Princess Royal as Godmother, she is 65 yrs older and by the time Charlotte would be old enough to take on royal duties, she would be in her mid 80s.

In her case - I don't think age should be a consideration at all - she comes from good stock... look at her parents and how active they continue to be in their 90s. What a gift for Charlotte to have a woman of that generation to share in her experiences and offer a more personal and practical perspective on her royal role.

I realize it is a long shot - jmo.

It would be good if Charlotte had someone born a princess but I don't think Beatrice/Eugenie will be chosen.

I think the Cambridge's were right in choosing people who are their age and perhaps the age of a young grandparent, plus a v young person for George. Great range that could give relevant support as the young royals grow up. I expect the same pattern for Charlotte.

so Van Cutsem, Meade, Peter Philips, Emilie (friend of Kate's) and maybe Sophie or Tiggy Pettifer. Who a young person would be not sure.

Whoever they are, I hope they are prepared for intrusive interest by the media.

Emilia is George's godmother. It would be very odd to get the double nod. I think Trini - Catherine's friend of 20 years, is a better bet.

As for your other choices, you see Catherine getting one pick while William gets six? Ouch! At least with George she got two (Emilia, Oliver).

I also don't see Anne being chosen. Even if she was asked I think she would refuse. Remember George "had nothing to do with her".

I see Sophie way before Anne and also before Beatrice and Eugenie. KP Twitter gave Sophie a birthday shoutout -others who got one Queen and Philip got so far.

I don't think George or Charlotte really need HRHs for godparents when half their family are HRHs. The only people George can learn how to be a King is his Grandfather and Father.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom