Wedding of William & Catherine: the Official Guest List

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to hear that Hessen-Kassel,Baden,Toerring-Jettenbach,Hohenlohe-Langenburg and Oettingen-Spielberg families attended among others...

My guess would be because 1) it wasn't a state affair and 2) the dress code was uniform, lounge suit or morning dress for the gents and dresses and hats for the ladies. NO one other than the members of the RF that were in uniform wore any kind of orders. With him wearing his OBE, it probably came across like wearing a tiara with sweats and sneakers. Just my thoughts on it.

I agree with your thoughts Osipi - the dress code that I saw didn't include decorations for civilians..... Which was presumably why I saw no other people wearing their decorations - because many of the congregation were people who had made 'a significant contribution to public life' [think of all those charity representatives who were invited for a start] I would think that as a 'guestimate' about 40% of those attending would have been decorated, very possibly more.

At the end of the day let me stress that I don't think any harm was done by DB even if he technically was at fault for wearing his OBE. For a start, it did not block anybody's view! [think of all those LARGE hats!!!]

Alex

At the end of the day let me stress that I don't think any harm was done by DB even if he technically was at fault for wearing his OBE. For a start, it did not block anybody's view! [think of all those LARGE hats!!!]

Alex

:lol: I am still inclined to believe that some of those hats were satellite dishes in disguise for the wedding broadcast.

:lol: I am still inclined to believe that some of those hats were satellite dishes in disguise for the wedding broadcast.

Ah, of course, Clever you! The Times did report that the TV cameras doing much of the close-up work were working remotely and at some distance but with good lenses etc. I did marvel at how you saw NOTHING in the way of cameras - and now I know why!!:)

Can anyone identify some of the guests...In the first row I can only detect Hohenolhe-Langenburg pair nad Margraves of Baden...anyone else?

Guests.jpg

I can't believe it either. India Hicks was not invited, nor does it seem anyone from the Duke of Fife line, or worse, the Earl of Harewood line. Its like Princess Mary's entire line has been erased from any event. Sad, so sad. Also, I am sorry, IMO, David wore his decoration because he and Posh truly think they are royalty. I did not care for the smug, nose in the air look, he had on when sat down. Thankfully, she finally looked like was put in her place, when she realized..."Oh, this is what REAL royalty looks like."

I wouldn't be surprised if India Hicks was not invited because she gave a lot of interviews about her memories of serving as a bridesmaid at Charles and Diana's wedding. Also, it doesn't really look like she was very close to William.

I can't believe it either. India Hicks was not invited, nor does it seem anyone from the Duke of Fife line, or worse, the Earl of Harewood line. Its like Princess Mary's entire line has been erased from any event. Sad, so sad. Also, I am sorry, IMO, David wore his decoration because he and Posh truly think they are royalty. I did not care for the smug, nose in the air look, he had on when sat down. Thankfully, she finally looked like was put in her place, when she realized..."Oh, this is what REAL royalty looks like."

If every single living person who was in some way related to a member of the royal house were invited, there would have been no room in the Abbey for anyone else. Sometimes you have to draw a line. I doubt very seriously that it's like the late Princess Mary's family has been "erased". They're invited to loads of other events like Christmas, the Trooping of the Color, Royal Ascot.....so they're not neglected or ignored.

Why don't you think he was correct in wearing it at all?

Wearing your Order in public:

Women: only if you are wearing a tiara.

Men: only if you are wearing white tie.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if India Hicks was not invited because she gave a lot of interviews about her memories of serving as a bridesmaid at Charles and Diana's wedding. Also, it doesn't really look like she was very close to William.

In one of India Hicks inviews.,she said she met William & Catherine at Prince Charles's 60th Birthday party.So she was not close to them.

Are there any photos of Camilla's children at the wedding?

All I can offer by way of a response is that we have been continually told that the guestlist is the work of Catherine and William who have been very heavily involved in its compilation [compare Charles and Diana's Wedding and that of Sarah and Andrew, where both couples' main input was to supply lists of their own friends and relatives who they wanted to attend]. With William and Catherine's wedding, we have been told that every single decision about the ceremony, the receptions, the guestlist etc has been the 'hands-on' work of Catherine and William and they believe that the mix of guests they have chosen is one which is the best way of arriving at the most 'personal' wedding they can.

Incidentally, I understand that an invitation to President Obama and in particular his wife Michelle was NOT issued because of the HUGE extra security that would be required, which is apparently necessary in addition to the present large security operation. Apparently lots of US secret service people would have had to be present and it would have been impossible [allegedly] to integrate them with the present English arrangements. To 'compensate' for any alleged 'snub' to the Obamas, a State Visit is being planned for them in a few weeks' time.

Hope this helps

Alex

The Obama visit has been set for quite some time. They weren't invited as he is Head of State. It was not a snub, as the Obama's and the BRF are not friends, as the late President and Nancy Reagan and former President Bush (41) and Barbara are.

Prince Charles is at the White House as I write - just a courtesy call. They'll probably talk about windmills or something like that. LOLOL

Last edited:
Lord Snowden

Did anyone see or hear anything about Lord Snowden? I'm thinking that he's only about 80, so it would seem likely that he could attend.

Oops, SnowdOn, not Snowden.

Last edited:
It was in the entertainment news here in the US that Snoop Dogg was invited, however, he had to turn down the invitation. He didn't mention what the reason was for doing that. Just how many times did William and Catherine meet Snoop that he deserved that invitation? I think he performed like one song in that Princess Diana memorial concert, that was it.

which explains why Barack and Michelle were not invited

The Obama visit has been set for quite some time. They weren't invited as he is Head of State. It was not a snub, as the Obama's and the BRF are not friends, as the late President and Nancy Reagan and former President Bush (41) and Barbara are.

Prince Charles is at the White House as I write - just a courtesy call. They'll probably talk about windmills or something like that. LOLOL

Yes, KittyAltanta, you are quite right, the Obama State Visit HAS been set for some time; the point I was trying to make though was based on the press reports [including The Times and The Telgraph, not just the tabloid trash' that Michelle Obama had made it known that she wanted to attend the Wedding [not with the President, just by herself]. It is a matter of record that Mrs Obama has enjoyed quite warm relations with the Queen during their meetings.

The Times and the Telgraph both carried articles [which were not challenged as untrue] emphasing that no snub was being intended to Michelle Obama by not inviting her: the reason, as you correctly gave, pointed to the fact that the Wedding was not a state affair but a family affair, but also pointed out that whilst it would have be very easy [not withstanding the 'family' nature of the affair] to invite but Mrs Obama as she wanted to come, this idea has to be abandoned because of the massive security headaches this would cause. I am aware personally of a number of Americans in London who felt this was a 'snub' to the United States, and I am sure that this is why the papers of record continuing repeated the Palace position that the forthcoming State visit was ample 'compensation'.

Intersting articles in the Weekend papers that say that Elton John and his partner and also David and Victoria Beckham were all NOT invited to the afternoon reception at BP [let alone the evening reception]. Victoria Beckham is reportedly 'furious' if one can belive the papers, stating that she had flown all the way from the United States for what turned out to be just the Ceremony and that she felt 'snubbed', particularly as she had had to 'queue for an hour' to get into the Abbey on what was her last 'appearance in the UK' before the birth of her baby.

Whether this is true or not I do not of course know.

I also take it 'with a pinch of salt' about Snoop Dogg being invited: I think that we would have heard something more formal from the British end if he had been invited, and, more to the point, a reason why he was not able to attend...........

Just a thought,

Alex

Last edited:
It was in the entertainment news here in the US that Snoop Dogg was invited, however, he had to turn down the invitation. He didn't mention what the reason was for doing that. Just how many times did William and Catherine meet Snoop that he deserved that invitation? I think he performed like one song in that Princess Diana memorial concert, that was it.

As much as the view of the Royal family dancing to Drop it Like it's hot makes me smile, I don't think this is true.

OMG...ok, the Obamas were NOT snubbed! LOL. Umm..let's see, the Queen's youngest son was married in 1999, and neither Bill or Hillary were invited. My goodness, there was no snub! As for enjoying warm relations...um..they met like once. They are not best friends or anything.

As for Snoop Dog, etc., I am sorry, this is why I did not really read the American papers up to the wedding. They just pick anyone and everyone as having been invited, and screw it up. I do not think Prince Charles or the Queen would have tolerated him at the wedding.

As for the afternoon reception...we will never really know unless Victoria or Elton say something.

Why are we still talking about the Obamas and this wedding?

Why are we still talking about the Obamas and this wedding?

I suppose because some people are still in the dark about how things work and why they work like they work.
It could also be a matter of feeling of importance aka "he should have been invited because he is...".

Anyway, it won't change a thing - the wedding didn't have this setup. Case closed.

Honestly, I don't see any point in discussing someone who was not invited to an event. Its not going to change anything. The exception to that rule is Sarah Ferguson, who feels the need to discuss her feelings on missing the wedding.

I suppose because some people are still in the dark about how things work and why they work like they work.
It could also be a matter of feeling of importance aka "he should have been invited because he is...".

Anyway, it won't change a thing - the wedding didn't have this setup. Case closed.

Exactly..it won't change a thing. The BRF has stated that the wedding was not a State Event. There were no foreign leaders present except those who represent the Commonwealth.

Case closed.

Last edited:
Yes, KittyAltanta, you are quite right, the Obama State Visit HAS been set for some time; the point I was trying to make though was based on the press reports [including The Times and The Telgraph, not just the tabloid trash' that Michelle Obama had made it known that she wanted to attend the Wedding [not with the President, just by herself]. It is a matter of record that Mrs Obama has enjoyed quite warm relations with the Queen during their meetings.

The Times and the Telgraph both carried articles [which were not challenged as untrue] emphasing that no snub was being intended to Michelle Obama by not inviting her: the reason, as you correctly gave, pointed to the fact that the Wedding was not a state affair but a family affair, but also pointed out that whilst it would have be very easy [not withstanding the 'family' nature of the affair] to invite but Mrs Obama as she wanted to come, this idea has to be abandoned because of the massive security headaches this would cause. I am aware personally of a number of Americans in London who felt this was a 'snub' to the United States, and I am sure that this is why the papers of record continuing repeated the Palace position that the forthcoming State visit was ample 'compensation'.

My, you do go on! LOL

There was no reason for her to attend this wedding. Femme Obama might have wanted to attend, but she is NOT a friend of the Royal Family, and the Royal Family is warm with all their visiitors.

It doesn't matter if the number of Americans in London of whom you are personally aware felt it was a "snub" or not...

My last words on this subject are above.

Last edited:
Hi Kitty

I don't mean to go on! I just hate reading about misintepretations and tabloids trying to bring up snubs where none is intended. What I like about TRF is that there is an opportunity to discuss with other well informed people; that's all I was doing.....it's called discussion and debate.

The BRF warmth is a topic well worth discussing on another thread - believe you me, it is often far from the case. We were all surprised when Mrs Obama called in unexpectedly to see the Queen in June 2009 - unheard of inthe circumstances,

ladongas said:
I am not familiar with the name Femme Obama.

I believe it means Mrs Obama or wife of Obama or somthing like that in French

Last edited:
I believe it means Mrs Obama or wife of Obama or somthing like that in French

Thanks. I just couldn't imagine why anyone would call Mrs. Obama or Michelle Obama or First Lady Michelle Obama something like Femme. Is that a usual way to refer to French women, e.g. Femme Sarkozy? I was concerned that it was intended as a slight to our president's wife, inasmuch as I had never encountered this usage before.

Thanks. I just couldn't imagine why anyone would call Mrs. Obama or Michelle Obama or First Lady Michelle Obama something like Femme. Is that a usual way to refer to French women, e.g. Femme Sarkozy? I was concerned that it was intended as a slight to our president's wife, inasmuch as I had never encountered this usage before.

It's just French for female, aka La Femme Nikita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom