The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Royal Highness

OMG...ok, the Obamas were NOT snubbed! LOL. Umm..let's see, the Queen's youngest son was married in 1999, and neither Bill or Hillary were invited. My goodness, there was no snub! As for enjoying warm relations...um..they met like once. They are not best friends or anything.

As for Snoop Dog, etc., I am sorry, this is why I did not really read the American papers up to the wedding. They just pick anyone and everyone as having been invited, and screw it up. I do not think Prince Charles or the Queen would have tolerated him at the wedding.

As for the afternoon reception...we will never really know unless Victoria or Elton say something.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Why are we still talking about the Obamas and this wedding?

Old 05-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Why are we still talking about the Obamas and this wedding?
I suppose because some people are still in the dark about how things work and why they work like they work.
It could also be a matter of feeling of importance aka "he should have been invited because he is...".

Anyway, it won't change a thing - the wedding didn't have this setup. Case closed.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Honestly, I don't see any point in discussing someone who was not invited to an event. Its not going to change anything. The exception to that rule is Sarah Ferguson, who feels the need to discuss her feelings on missing the wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I suppose because some people are still in the dark about how things work and why they work like they work.
It could also be a matter of feeling of importance aka "he should have been invited because he is...".

Anyway, it won't change a thing - the wedding didn't have this setup. Case closed.
Exactly..it won't change a thing. The BRF has stated that the wedding was not a State Event. There were no foreign leaders present except those who represent the Commonwealth.

Case closed.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Yes, KittyAltanta, you are quite right, the Obama State Visit HAS been set for some time; the point I was trying to make though was based on the press reports [including The Times and The Telgraph, not just the tabloid trash' that Michelle Obama had made it known that she wanted to attend the Wedding [not with the President, just by herself]. It is a matter of record that Mrs Obama has enjoyed quite warm relations with the Queen during their meetings.

The Times and the Telgraph both carried articles [which were not challenged as untrue] emphasing that no snub was being intended to Michelle Obama by not inviting her: the reason, as you correctly gave, pointed to the fact that the Wedding was not a state affair but a family affair, but also pointed out that whilst it would have be very easy [not withstanding the 'family' nature of the affair] to invite but Mrs Obama as she wanted to come, this idea has to be abandoned because of the massive security headaches this would cause. I am aware personally of a number of Americans in London who felt this was a 'snub' to the United States, and I am sure that this is why the papers of record continuing repeated the Palace position that the forthcoming State visit was ample 'compensation'.
My, you do go on! LOL

There was no reason for her to attend this wedding. Femme Obama might have wanted to attend, but she is NOT a friend of the Royal Family, and the Royal Family is warm with all their visiitors.

It doesn't matter if the number of Americans in London of whom you are personally aware felt it was a "snub" or not...

My last words on this subject are above.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Courtier

Hi Kitty

I don't mean to go on! I just hate reading about misintepretations and tabloids trying to bring up snubs where none is intended. What I like about TRF is that there is an opportunity to discuss with other well informed people; that's all I was doing.....it's called discussion and debate.

The BRF warmth is a topic well worth discussing on another thread - believe you me, it is often far from the case. We were all surprised when Mrs Obama called in unexpectedly to see the Queen in June 2009 - unheard of inthe circumstances,
Old 05-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
... Femme Obama ...
I am not familiar with the name Femme Obama.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas

I am not familiar with the name Femme Obama.
I believe it means Mrs Obama or wife of Obama or somthing like that in French
Old 05-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I believe it means Mrs Obama or wife of Obama or somthing like that in French
Thanks. I just couldn't imagine why anyone would call Mrs. Obama or Michelle Obama or First Lady Michelle Obama something like Femme. Is that a usual way to refer to French women, e.g. Femme Sarkozy? I was concerned that it was intended as a slight to our president's wife, inasmuch as I had never encountered this usage before.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Thanks. I just couldn't imagine why anyone would call Mrs. Obama or Michelle Obama or First Lady Michelle Obama something like Femme. Is that a usual way to refer to French women, e.g. Femme Sarkozy? I was concerned that it was intended as a slight to our president's wife, inasmuch as I had never encountered this usage before.
It's just French for female, aka La Femme Nikita.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Serene Highness

I know what Femme means!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
It's just French for female, aka La Femme Nikita.
I just haven't heard it used like that before, and I haven't found any usage like that on the Mighty Internet!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Although it's probably best not to go looking for slights and snubs, the fact of the matter is that the Obamas are not universally beloved.

(To be fair, this is true of every politician, of course).
Old 05-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I just haven't heard it used like that before, and I haven't found any usage like that on the Mighty Internet!
Hmmm, I was just intending to be helpful. The exclamation mark doesn't really come across to me as a thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Although it's probably best not to go looking for slights and snubs, the fact of the matter is that the Obamas are not universally beloved.

(To be fair, this is true of every politician, of course).
Agreed, and I think it is time to call it a day on the whole discussion.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist
Intersting articles in the Weekend papers that say that Elton John and his partner and also David and Victoria Beckham were all NOT invited to the afternoon reception at BP [let alone the evening reception]. Victoria Beckham is reportedly 'furious' if one can belive the papers, stating that she had flown all the way from the United States for what turned out to be just the Ceremony and that she felt 'snubbed', particularly as she had had to 'queue for an hour' to get into the Abbey on what was her last 'appearance in the UK' before the birth of her baby.

Alex
Victoria received her invitation well before she flew across the Atlantic. So if she truly didn't feel like the ceremony was worth it, she didn't have to go.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:57 AM

And still no complete guest list. I'm guessing one will not be published.
:-(
Old 12-22-2012, 04:26 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by willandkateforever View Post
Obama was not invited because William can't stand him like me. Obama has no class. He is not president either because he is not a natural born citizen.
Yes I know - there is no such thing as warming of the earth; but yesterday it was the end of the world

OH suger! The world still alive - so maybe the rest is also rubbish .

There will be always people living in a dream - or a nightmare; instead of preferring to open their eyes to reality

But I'm sooo glad for your, that you think that you have found the truth, and that Will&Kate are with you in it; what a comfort that must be
Old 12-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Nobility

None of the presidents of foreign countries were invited to the wedding. And both William and Kate seemed very happy to meet and converse with the Obamas last year at Buckingham Palace.

Kate Middleton and Michelle Obama Photos - US President Barack Obama Visits The UK - Day One - Zimbio
Old 12-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

On the subject of who was invited or not, there is a Youtube video of Ingrid Seward saying at :28 that Camilla was a huge factor in who was invited and had veto power. Many of Diana's old friends were not invited at the behest of Camilla, while there was a full compliment of P-Bs. If the link isnt working, all you have to search for at you tube is royal wedding snub and Ingrid Seward
Old 12-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

And Ingrid Seward knows that how? Did William or Kate tell her?

Some of Diana's friends (most of whom were less than discreet before and after her death) were not invited and suddenly it's Camilla's fault. Can you really imagine William and Kate - who by all accounts personally oversaw all details of the wedding, guest list included - opt not to invite someone they care for just because a third party said so? Or for that matter, Can you really Camilla asking her step-son not to invite people he wanted to for whatever reason? The blame Camilla game is a bit old now, isn't it?
Old 12-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, she is the long time editor of Majesty magazine, and the author of William and Harry, as well as other scholarly books on the BRF. So, I would take her opinion as one who knows about the monarchy.