The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Do you know if there are some wedding pics of Earl St.Andrews and his family,Lady Gabriella Windsor and the friends of couple(like Melissa Percy or Guy Pelly)?

Old 04-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Order of the British Empire. Unfortunately he's wearing it on the wrong side...

Please could I help by supplementing the information you have given? It is a common misconception that 'OBE' stands for Order of the British Empire because 'OBE' actually stands for 'Officer of the Order of the British Empire'

The Order of the British Empire is actually divided into 5 categories: MBE is the lowest tier of the Order, GBE is the highest tier;

In more detail,the Order is:

GBE (Knight [if recipient is male, Dame if female) Dame Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire)

KBE (Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire) or DBE (Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire)

CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire)

OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire)

MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire)

Hope you don't think I am being pedantic, but just wanted to clear up a very common misconception about the Order.

As a general rule, sportsman/sportswomen usually get the MBE [Member of the Order of the British Empire] unless they have done something particularly meritorious, when one of the higher grades of the Order is awarded; note: although it is perfectly possible for a particularly meritorious recipient to be awarded an OBE as his/her 'first' medal, as any recipient's [sportsperson or otherwise] career progresses, he or she can 'work their way up the Order'; thus, if a sportsman is first awarded an MBE after national sporting success, but then moves up to (say) winning several Olympic Gold Medals, he/she may well find that they have been upgraded to OBE. Thus, if David Beckham does something else particlarly meritorious, he could find his OBE upgraded to a CBE....or even a Knighthood.

Incidentally, one strange 'economical' quirk is that if you are subsequently awarded a 'higher tier' medal from the one that you presently hold, you have to 'hand back' the lower tier medal! Thus, if David Beckham is appointed a CBE, he has to 'hand back' his OBE so that it can be 'recycled' to a new recipient!!

You are 'spot-on' about David Beckham wearing it on the wrong side, though! Don't know why someome didn't quickly point it out to him before the TV cameras picked it up!

Thanks

Alex

Old 04-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Courtier

Does anyone have the picture of Badens,Hessens or Langenburgs from the wedding?
Old 04-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Courtier

Did anyone else see this?

Like all of you, I have looked at many many pictures of today's events. One that I am sure I saw was of Chelsy sitting in the same row with Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall. I was surprised at what a choice seat she had. Now, of course, I can't find the picture.

Here's the link:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...l-Wedding.html

Although it's labeled as Chelsy and Zara, it's not Zara. Zara's hat was much more outrageous (although the girl does look somewhat like Zara).
Old 04-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Like all of you, I have looked at many many pictures of today's events. One that I am sure I saw was of Chelsy sitting in the same row with Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall. I was surprised at what a choice seat she had. Now, of course, I can't find the picture.
She didn't sit with them, don't know what you saw
I made a screenshot (sorry for the quality, but I don't have the patience to look through picture galleries to find one...) where you can see the row where Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall sat and you won't find her there...
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8598/3658.jpg
(You may easily recognize Mike Tindall as he has no hair)
Old 04-29-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Health permitting, possibly so. The Countess isn't quite as mobile as she used to be. She is 84 and of fragile health I believe.
Yes she is 87 years, but did anyone notice that many of people that we just to seeing at the weddings of the British Royal family were not there today. I am talking about Earl of Harewood, Duke of Fife, Lady Pamela Hicks, and Queen Mother's family - Bowes - Lyon's? And what about William's great aunt Lady Anne Spencer, was she at the wedding?
Old 04-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy tale View Post
I made a screenshot (sorry for the quality, but I don't have the patience to look through picture galleries to find one...) where you can see the row where Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall sat and you won't find her there...
I realize now it wasn't her. I put a link to the (mistakenly identified) picture in my post.

Yes, Mike Tindall has no hair at all- all the other royal men are just partially hairless!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy tale View Post
Oh, you captured one of my favorite moments when Tim Laurence was trying to give William a reassuring smile! I see Sophie was trying to do the same from a few seats over. Eugenie and Peter Phillips also have big grins on their faces, which I didn't notice at the time.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Courtier

I wonder if Anddrew Parker Bowles was invited to the wedding in order to see his adorable little granddaughter?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I wonder if Anddrew Parker Bowles was invited to the wedding in order to see his adorable little granddaughter?
I saw his pic on Getty Images and Rex Features,so he was there
Old 04-30-2011, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Prince AlWaleed & His wife Princess Ameerah were at the wedding.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:59 AM
Courtier

Lady Serena looks pregnant to me. Maybe it was mentioned elsewhere already.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Order of the British Empire. Unfortunately he's wearing it on the wrong side...

Sorry to be pedantic, but, as I explained in my post above, OBE actually stands for OFFICER of the Order of the British Empire....

You were spot-on about him wearing it on the wrong side though - and actually in my very humble opinion, I don't think that he was correct in wearing it at all..............

Alex
Old 04-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Sorry to be pedantic, but, as I explained in my post above, OBE actually stands for OFFICER of the Order of the British Empire....

You were spot-on about him wearing it on the wrong side though - and actually in my very humble opinion, I don't think that he was correct in wearing it at all..............

Alex
Why don't you think he was correct in wearing it at all?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Why don't you think he was correct in wearing it at all?
My guess would be because 1) it wasn't a state affair and 2) the dress code was uniform, lounge suit or morning dress for the gents and dresses and hats for the ladies. NO one other than the members of the RF that were in uniform wore any kind of orders. With him wearing his OBE, it probably came across like wearing a tiara with sweats and sneakers. Just my thoughts on it.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist

Alex
For the record someone must have told him because pictures in the Abbey show it on the other side- maybe he was just proud and excited so he wore it
Old 04-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Royal Highness

Never mind I misread your post- but RF app has no delete for posts so ignore this post
Old 04-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
I saw his pic on Getty Images and Rex Features,so he was there
Thanks for telling me that APB was there to see little Eliza.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:12 AM

Congratulation

Marked, a remarkable day of our century, may the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge Live LONG.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:26 AM

" Lets share each others JOY as we also WISH never to be like them" for its only the Good Lord who knows why this day was set aside for Will & Kate.