Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And now you have explained one of the reasons why I have become a republican - the sheer ordinariness of William and Harry.

That they have repordely asked Guy Pelly to help organise the dancing for the evening isn't a surprise. It is what he does - run a nightclub and Harry and William enjoy clubbing at his place.

As for Camilla. If it is true that she was given the right to cross off people then remember that she would only have been given that right by William so he must also approve of her decision to cross off people - just as someone crossed off Fergie. If William had really wanted these people there then noone would have been crossed off. But I also take these reports with a grain of salt - they are from the DM and the source for the Camilla crossing off people is from one of them crossed off. Since Diana died have either of them had anything to do with William? Camilla on the other hand has been a major part of his life for the last decade as his father's partner and wife. The fact that he is including Camilla's granddaughter is his wedding party speaks volumes for how William sees Camilla.

As for the invites to friends of Charles read carefully. The one that I remember is the one that says an American billionaire is getting a free flight to America in exchange for an invite but if you read the article carefully this person is a big time supporter of Charles' charity and may very well be getting the invite for that reason.

One to compare is with is the story that a top guy from Audi is being invited and then reports of William getting an Audi for Kate as a wedding gift - now the DM headline could have been Audi execs helps William with wedding gift for Kate in exchange for invite - but that wouldn't accurately reflect the story and wouldn't be written because it would put William in a bad light - and the DM won't do that. The DM thinks that by attacking Charles they are doing a service to William and his dead mother.

The father of the groom, like fathers/parents of the groom everywhere have some say in the wedding and who is invited - just as the parents of the bride do.

How do you think they should behave then? What would make them less ordinary or not at all?

How do you think they should behave then? What would make them less ordinary or not at all?

They are supposed to be princes but they don't come across as in any way different to the rest of us. Charles and his siblings were very much royal at the ages that William and Harry are now. They didn't go to clubs and get drunk publicly as Harry has done and William as well.

They don't set themselves apart in any way. If they aren't different then why should they get the privileges and the position?

I was a monarchist when I started here in 2008 but reading the posts here and realising just how ordinary William and Harry are - lacking the regal nature that royals should have - I have become an avowed republican and can't wait for the next referendum in Australia as I will certainly vote for a republic next time. I mean how could anyone actually want William as a future King and Kate - she is nice and all that -- but if the girl next door can be a princess with all that that entails then there is no reason why the girl on the other side shouldn't be able to become my Head of State - why should the one who is lucky enough to fall in love with a particular man get the position while the other is denied it?

I completely disagree with the above post :)

I don't see William as ordinary in any way, nor does he represent the ordinary ideal of the common person. He knows who he is, we know who he is and there is nothing ordinary about that!

So the man has had a drink or few at a nightclub? Big deal. If that's the worst of it then anyone who is inclined to judge him on that needs to get a grip.

Tell me what elected politician hasn't had a few too many drinks or found themselves in a less than desirable situation. In fact, I don't think you're a politician unless you or your dignity has been compromised in some way

It would appear that William has not found himself in such company, at least nothing which has ever come to light and until it does, I'd endeavour to suggest it hasn't happened. He's sensible and to me that's perfectly evident.

And I'd certainly want him to be my King. The man, to me, "get's it". Constitutional matters aside, the apparent ease with which he interacts with those he meets does not suggest to me he is ordinary, but quite the opposite. He is a man who despite the immense wealth and privilege, is personable and considerate. The man reflects some wonderful values though yet a good many are rather dissimilar to those of his father and his grandmother where the public are concerned. He isn't intimated to get involved and I mean hands on. And regularlyat that.

It's laughable to think this man should in some way replicate the way his father handles himself socially. If anything, you'd probably want to distance yourself from that style of social awkwardness which Charles certainly has. And it seems to be what William has done and good for him. He isn't his father. Though let it be said that that may have more to do with William being his own person, than intentionally wanting to be different to his father.

Henry has been a bit of dill but in recent years appears to be, as would be expected of someone his age, maturing into a reasonable and responsible young adult by all accounts.

Catherine may be common born, but evidently has a good deal of self respect and handles herself with such dignity. And whilst the consort of the monarch has no constitutional significance in Australia, as a dual British citizen, I have not the slightest ounce of protest that this lady should one day, as is currently expected to happen, become my Queen. And as an Australian, my sentiment is unchanged. She'll make a wonderful wife for the King of Australia in the unlikely event William actually becomes King of this continent and her external territories.

Intelligent, engaging, trustworthy and loyal. It's my opinion you'd be hard pressed to find all those qualities in your average 'girl next door'. So certainly for me, there is something quite reassuring and something very 'uncommon' about this young woman.

Last edited:
Let's get back on topic...suggestions and musings of the wedding.

Perhaps the British posters have a better look on this: how do you think the weather will be this coming Friday?
Cloudy, partly cloudy, sunny, etcetera?

I think it's fairly important that it is at least dry.

How on earth does the writer know what William will say? I can't imagine anyone in William's circle (his friends or Harry) giving out this information.

This looks incredibly made up to me.

dazzling said:
Kate to get a romantic wedding night
Article

Bells Will Ring for 3 Hours Following William and Kate Middleton's Royal Wedding
Article

Oh the full peal sounds hard to do- but honestly 3 hours of bells would annoy me.....

:previous: From what I understand that is a tradition and the bells have rung for almost every Royal wedding.

Three hours seems a bit long though. I thought it was for an hour after Charles and Diana's.

Lenora said:
I am very happy that William himself,neither his uncle nor other members of Spencer family ,will held speech in the memory of his beloved mother ,the late Princess Diana,that comes truly from the depth of his soul
Prince William's touching tribute to his late mother Diana In His Wedding Speech - UK & World News - News - People.co.uk

The words may be fake but a speech mentioning and praising his parents, both parents, does not surprise me at all- sounds like a typical speech given on a wedding day,prince Daniel of Sweden mentioned both his and Victoria's parents so this makes sense to me ......

I completely disagree with the above post :)

I don't see William as ordinary in any way, nor does he represent the ordinary ideal of the common person. He knows who he is, we know who he is and there is nothing ordinary about that!

So the man has had a drink or few at a nightclub? Big deal. If that's the worst of it then anyone who is inclined to judge him on that needs to get a grip.

Tell me what elected politician hasn't had a few too many drinks or found themselves in a less than desirable situation. In fact, I don't think you're a politician unless you or your dignity has been compromised in some way

It would appear that William has not found himself in such company, at least nothing which has ever come to light and until it does, I'd endeavour to suggest it hasn't happened. He's sensible and to me that's perfectly evident.

And I'd certainly want him to be my King. The man, to me, "get's it". Constitutional matters aside, the apparent ease with which he interacts with those he meets does not suggest to me he is ordinary, but quite the opposite. He is a man who despite the immense wealth and privilege, is personable and considerate. The man reflects some wonderful values though yet a good many are rather dissimilar to those of his father and his grandmother where the public are concerned. He isn't intimated to get involved and I mean hands on. And regularlyat that.

It's laughable to think this man should in some way replicate the way his father handles himself socially. If anything, you'd probably want to distance yourself from that style of social awkwardness which Charles certainly has. And it seems to be what William has done and good for him. He isn't his father. Though let it be said that that may have more to do with William being his own person, than intentionally wanting to be different to his father.

Henry has been a bit of dill but in recent years appears to be, as would be expected of someone his age, maturing into a reasonable and responsible young adult by all accounts.

Catherine may be common born, but evidently has a good deal of self respect and handles herself with such dignity. And whilst the consort of the monarch has no constitutional significance in Australia, as a dual British citizen, I have not the slightest ounce of protest that this lady should one day, as is currently expected to happen, become my Queen. And as an Australian, my sentiment is unchanged. She'll make a wonderful wife for the King of Australia in the unlikely event William actually becomes King of this continent and her external territories.

Intelligent, engaging, trustworthy and loyal. It's my opinion you'd be hard pressed to find all those qualities in your average 'girl next door'. So certainly for me, there is something quite reassuring and something very 'uncommon' about this young woman.

Excellent post Madame! I wholeheartedly agree with every point. Having a monarchy that holds themselves above the common man and keeps a distance and superiority that prevents the public from relating to them is no longer acceptable. This is why Diana took the world by storm with her "common" touch and was so beloved. They may have been born Princes, but they are also human beings with considerable empathy and a desire to make a difference rather than just being stuffy, spoiled and out of touch.

Oh the full peal sounds hard to do- but honestly hours of bells would annoy me.....

How romantic a hamper full of luxuries.

Kate is very very lucky..

HRH Wills, is also a lucky man, so soft to Kate.

May they spend a long long happy life together.

I think William and Catherine will have a long and happy life together. Wish them both nothing but the best. I also wish them good luck in their role for their country and the commonwealth countries.
I'll be watching the royal wedding early friday morning hopefully I can get up by 3-4am. I'll have my clock set in time to get up. I'll probably be watching it either on ABC or CBC (canadian channel) I get in my area don't know which one yet? lol.

Excellent post Madame! I wholeheartedly agree with every point. Having a monarchy that holds themselves above the common man and keeps a distance and superiority that prevents the public from relating to them is no longer acceptable. This is why Diana took the world by storm with her "common" touch and was so beloved. They may have been born Princes, but they are also human beings with considerable empathy and a desire to make a difference rather than just being stuffy, spoiled and out of touch.

And of course you have both totally missed my point.

If they are so common and ordinary why should they have the automatic right to be Head of State and deny that right to some other common and ordinary person?

Other media is reporting Beyonce and JayZ will be performing at the nightine reception at the request of Kate and William.....

Lol - these rumors are funny

And of course you have both totally missed my point.

If they are so common and ordinary why should they have the automatic right to be Head of State and deny that right to some other common and ordinary person?

Because they are son or daughter of their fathers or mothers. Simple as that. Simple as that!

Times have changed, marriage between royals were primarily for political reasons. No need for that anymore!
William should married who he wants to, not what you me or others considerer the "right" choice. And if because of that New Zealand, Canada or Australia, whatever decides to became a Republic , well that just what it will happen!

To be above it all it might have worked in the past, but today it won't. you can complaint , you can disagree but that just how things work nowadays.

Other media is reporting Beyonce and JayZ will be performing at the nightine reception at the request of Kate and William.....

Lol - these rumors are funny

WT... Listen if that happens I won't oppose someone snicking in with a camera and recording this!

I remember Kiri Te Kanawa singing at Charles and Diana' wedding. Will there be a Opera singer at this wedding?

Last edited:
Aww Kate looks adorable

kate_619_250307m.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom