Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They won't be 'King and Queen of the Commonwealth'. The Commonwealth doesn't have a monarch. 16 nations within the Commonwealth had the present Queen as their monarch but the vast majority of the countries of the Commonwealth are republics although a couple have their own monarch e.g. Malaysia.

Currently the monarch is Head of the Commonwealth but that is not a given to continue after the death of the Queen and there have been many reports over the years that they won't choose Charles in that position when the time comes.

Australia's national flower is the Golden Wattle not the eucaplytus tree - Golden Wattle - Australia's Golden Wattle - National Flower

1st September is officially 'wattle day' here in recognition of this flower and its national significance.

I meant the commonwealth realms, reflected by naming the sixteen countries that make up the commonwealth realms, which the queen does serve as monarch of.

A few countries have more than one national symbol. I put the eucalyptus as it was the one people would recognize for Australia. But you're right the wattle is the national flower.

According to the Belgian media the palace confirmed the presence of prince Philippe and pricesss Mathilde at the wedding.

Source

It is great that Belgian Crown Princely couple will attend the wedding. I am looking forward to seeing their photos.

Thanks for the flower pictures - what an interesting diversion while waiting.

I too have been wondering what the PoW would wear. I suspect he'll wear the same uniform he wore at his own wedding, so that the two men are more distinctive appearing - I'd love to know if these men discuss such things or not. But whichever uniform it is, the PoW will look dashing.

I've been showing a recent video of him to some of my classes, and they find him a very interesting and intelligent man - not quite "charming," but definitely "princely," and are able to understand his English, even though they speak "American."

What color does anyone think Pippa's maid of honor dress might be?

based on past royal bridesmaids, I can see something like creamy yellow or lilac.

I hope not. The dress usually suits the flowers, and I am hoping for something a bit more bold in flower colors. There has been so much talk of making it more modern. I'd love a red, or deep shade of blue or such. But just like the flowers, I have a feeling I'll be disappointed, and you'll be right on lilac or yellow, with the usual royal flowers of pale lillies, roses and such.

I meant the commonwealth realms, reflected by naming the sixteen countries that make up the commonwealth realms, which the queen does serve as monarch of.

There are over 50 'commonwealth realms' though and the Queen is only the monarch of 16 of them.

The term Commonwealth simply doesn't apply when discussing the concept of King or Queen of the Commonwealth - especially now that nations that were never connected to Britain can join the Commonwealth - e.g. Mozambique, Cameroon and Rwanda.

Although the 16 nations of which the Queen is the monarch are all members of the Commonwealth there are 39 nations in the Commonwealth of which she isn't the monarch and 3 of them have no connection to Britain having been Portuguese, French and Belgian colonies.

There is no requirement that the British monarch will continue to be the Head of the Commonwealth after the death of the present monarch. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Charles doesn't become Head of the Commonwealth at all - as the respective nations don't all agree with the idea of one person, by right of birth, being the Head of the Commonwealth anymore - reflecting Britain's reducing role on the world stage.

A few countries have more than one national symbol. I put the eucalyptus as it was the one people would recognize for Australia. But you're right the wattle is the national flower.

Certainly many countries have more than one national symbol but most only have one national flower and ours it the wattle - a flower - not a tree which has small flowers that most people don't even see due to the leaves being what we associate with the eucalyptus tree.

Last edited:
The wedding cake designer has officially been announced via Clarence House Twitter and the Royal Wedding website.

Leicestershire-based Fiona Cairns

ClarenceHouse Clarence House
Royal Wedding cake designer is announced - Royal Wedding cake designer is announced #rw2011

Royal Wedding cake designer is announced

I know the fruitcake bit had already previously been reported on, but they also add that William made a special request for a "Chocolate Biscuit" for the Buckingham reception.

I hope not. The dress usually suits the flowers, and I am hoping for something a bit more bold in flower colors. There has been so much talk of making it more modern. I'd love a red, or deep shade of blue or such. But just like the flowers, I have a feeling I'll be disappointed, and you'll be right on lilac or yellow, with the usual royal flowers of pale lillies, roses and such.

as I stated I chose based on previous occasion, but we never know. As long as it is not black or white, it won't be a big deal to me.

The wedding cake designer has officially been announced via Clarence House Twitter and the Royal Wedding website.

Leicestershire-based Fiona Cairns

ClarenceHouse Clarence House
Royal Wedding cake designer is announced - Royal Wedding cake designer is announced #rw2011

Royal Wedding cake designer is announced

I know the fruitcake bit had already previously been reported on, but they also add that William made a special request for a "Chocolate Biscuit" for the Buckingham reception.

"Chocolate Biscuit" or as we call here in Brazil, "Pave de Chocolate" it's one of my mom's favorite recipe, but I never though as a wedding cake choice. Interesting .... better then fruit cake, I guess.

Thanks for the flower pictures - what an interesting diversion while waiting.

I too have been wondering what the PoW would wear. I suspect he'll wear the same uniform he wore at his own wedding, so that the two men are more distinctive appearing - I'd love to know if these men discuss such things or not. But whichever uniform it is, the PoW will look dashing.

I've been showing a recent video of him to some of my classes, and they find him a very interesting and intelligent man - not quite "charming," but definitely "princely," and are able to understand his English, even though they speak "American."

I suspect he'd wear his primary/default uniform, the Naval one (which I think is the best looking uniform there, IMHO). I've never cared much for the RAF one, but since that's PW's 'primary' service, I expect he'll be wearing that one.

Regardless of what he wear, he'll look great! :flowers:

I suspect he'd wear his primary/default uniform, the Naval one (which I think is the best looking uniform there, IMHO). I've never cared much for the RAF one, but since that's PW's 'primary' service, I expect he'll be wearing that one.

Regardless of what he wear, he'll look great! :flowers:

I am confident William will be RAF, it's not simply his primary, it's his active. It's note like Prince Charles who has not been in the military for years, except royal appointments. William is actively serving in the RAF for another two years, and I'd think it customary to wear. I'd expect to see Charles in his naval, as like Andrew, that was his primary service. I don't think him wearing RAF would be showing support to his son. I think being there for his son as he marries the woman he loves, is support enough.

What ever the flavor she makes beautiful cakes.A lot of cakes are simple white or cream, and than use the flowers from the wedding for decoration. I am so hoping for reds or blues, some color.

It seems she has been a favorite of the extended family before. I noticed this quote.

"Fiona Cairns make cakes that taste superb and look amazing. They’re handmade and elegantly decorated."
Tom Parker Bowles
Night and Day Magazine
The Mail on Sunday.

William's stepbrother.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Entertainment/gty_prince_charles_william_nt_110323_xwide.jpg

so perhaps something like that?

What ever the flavor she makes beautiful cakes.A lot of cakes are simple white or cream, and than use the flowers from the wedding for decoration. I am so hoping for reds or blues, some color.

It seems she has been a favorite of the extended family before. I noticed this quote.

"Fiona Cairns make cakes that taste superb and look amazing. They’re handmade and elegantly decorated."
Tom Parker Bowles
Night and Day Magazine
The Mail on Sunday.

William's stepbrother.

It would be very nice to see something more bold like the colors used by other CP's bridesmaid. I guess because the BRF will use so many little ones, I'm having a harder time picturing something more bold color-wise.

Last edited:
http://m.people.com/newsitem.rbml?item=20476816

Way more detail here- the baker sent 4 samples to K and W, and the cake will have their initials on it plus apparently Sweet Williams will be used and 4 flowers ( Irish Shamrock, Tudor Rose, something from Scottland and one more)representing the 4 areas of the UK, and Kate is in the drivers seat per cake baker....

' Kate has clear ideas about the 16 different blooms – including one called 'Sweet William". Says Cairns, who also makes a cake every Christmas for Paul McCartney and has created delicious baked goods for rock band Pink Floyd: "She knew very much what she wanted, and she brought us mood boards and told us what influences she would like us to use on the cake."

Last edited:
I believe it's the shamrock, Tudor rose, thistle from Scotland and I believe something from Wales (not a leek, I hope!).

Somebody here called the Sweet Williams, I think! Good call. :)

Sister Morphine said:
I believe it's the shamrock, Tudor rose, thistle from Scotland and I believe something from Wales (not a leek, I hope!).

Yes! And a 'bridal rose' anyone know what that is? It's exciting to hear more concrete details :)

Any thoughts by UK residents? Royal Wedding: over to the abbey now, with Fearne and Formula 1 man - Telegraph

Prince William Kate Middleton: Couple Choose Leicestershire Baker Fiona Cairns To Make Wedding Cake | UK News | Sky News

The royal couple has asked that the four national flowers of the British Isles – rose, thistle, shamrock and daffodil – feature in the icing design. ...

Kate Middleton has requested certain flowers be made from icing to express certain messages. Among her choices is the Bridal Rose meaning ‘happiness’, an acorn, symbolising strength and endurance and Lilly of the Valley, signifying sweetness and humility.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...8401/Royal-wedding-cake-designs-revealed.html

The cake will be decorated with William and Kate's new cipher – thought to feature the couple's entwined initials – which will be officially released on their wedding day. ...

"It's multi-tiered, doesn't have colour – it's cream and white (icing) – and it's a traditional cake but also quite delicate and modern, all the tiers will have a different theme." ...

The cake designer, who lives in Leicestershire, said Kate made her feel relaxed when they met around six weeks ago at Clarence House to discuss ideas. She added: "She has guided us right from the beginning and has quite strong ideas. ...

The businesswoman sent samples of different fruit cakes to William and Kate who chose their favourite and she has now started baking to allow the sweet treats the necessary four weeks to mature. It is thought that the finished product will be featured in the palace's picture gallery that is hung with priceless old masters. ...

Ms Cairns has been on a "sharp learning curve" since Kate asked her to incorporate flowers according to their meaning, something that was popular with the Victorians, who used the blooms to send secret messages. ...

Kate's also matching the cake to some of the architectural features in the room. She's very well prepared, thoughtful, creative and organized. I'm impressed. :)

Last edited:

Shamrock, tudor rose, thistle and daffodil. Leeks have pretty flowers on them, but no they didn't make the cake.

There is the bridal rose, which symbolizes happiness, the oak and acorn – which is an architectural detail around the room where the cake will be – symbolizes strength and endurance. There is a lily of the valley, which symbolizes sweetness and humility, and ivy leaves, which symbolize marriage."

I like there seems to be some symbolism in the other blossoms too. I would love if the tudor rose, thistle and daffodils were part of the floral arrangements, since they are in the cake. Lilies of the valley are common in royal boquets.

As for dresses and flowers, in a lot of weddings flower girls seem to be in white and bridesmaids in other color. And perhaps even if their dresses are a light shade, maybe the flowers could be made to stand out a bit more. I am so hoping to see Kate go away from the British royal norm.

Yes! And a 'bridal rose' anyone know what that is? It's exciting to hear more concrete details :)

I could be wrong, but I think a bridal rose is your standard rose. I was looking on rose sites, and I can't find anything referred to as a bridal rose. Though the tudor rose is the official floral symbol for the UK, a dark red rose is often used as well. It could just refer to that.

Does anyone know if the royal wedding will be broadcast live via the web? I know it will be televised, but will it be live-streamed? I don't have a television, so was planning to watch the wedding online.

I believe the Official Royal Wedding site will be livestreaming the wedding.

And also there are places such as TVPC.com with all the major channels and live streaming 24/7.

Prince William and Kate Middleton have been keeping an eye on costs ahead of their wedding– but they are sparing no expense when it comes to the cake.

The couple, who both have a sweet tooth, have chosen to have two cakes served at their wedding breakfast following their marriage at Westminster Abbey on April 29.

One will be William’s favourite chocolate biscuit cake, which is made from a special recipe involving Rich Tea biscuits and dark chocolate and is set in the freezer rather than baked in an oven.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...its-dark-chocolate--please.html#ixzz1HnzpoF00

Last edited by a moderator:
At the bottom of that article just quoted (here: AFP: William and Kate decide two cakes better than one, it also says that the stag thing is today. Is that right?

(The chocolate biscuit case sounds really good).

Both the article and the stag were discussed on the last page. The stag and stagette/hen party for Will and Kate were both reported as being this weekend. Will's before Harry goes to Norway, and Kate having a stay at home night with the girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom